Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? (16311 Views)

He Is 36, Still Stays With His Parents And Wants To Marry Her. Help!!! / Driver's Wife Delivers Quadruplets In Lagos / Husband Flees After Wife Delivers Triplets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 05, 2012
When the wife gives birth, both parents i mean the parents of the coples will com but fathers dont stay long...now what the women...who is expected to stay long...is it the wife's mother or the husband's mother & how long should they stay?
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Dec 05, 2012
torres2: When the wife gives birth, both parents i mean the parents of the coples will com but fathers dont stay long...now what the women...who is expected to stay long...is it the wife's mother or the husband's mother & how long should they stay?

Is this written in some book, somewhere?
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Is this written in some book, somewhere?

Why asking?...just thought of it because i have seen such instances before
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
Ideally it's the husband's mom but if the wife's mom wants to join the party too, why not? The more the merrier ...... grin grin
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by zayhal(f): 8:59pm On Dec 05, 2012
^^ why is it the ideal thing for husband's mum to stay?

4 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by JoannaSedley(f): 9:12pm On Dec 05, 2012
Some culture requires the wife's mother to come while some prefer the husband's mother. To each his own. I'd like my mother to come and assist me.

2 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 05, 2012
zayhal: ^^ why is it the ideal thing for husband's mum to stay?

I don't know where you're from but where I'm from and Igbo side(from what I've seen) it has always been the mother in-law ( husband's side) that comes to stay for a while, ofcourse the wife's mom can drop in whenever too.

as the matter of fact the wife's mom will excuse her cos that's the way it is..... cultural thing I guess and it feels right too

But but with the way things are turning around lately esp reading from NL lately , things might have changed now , power struggles everywhere no be small thing.

And like I mentioned earlier everybody can join the party too I really don't care and there's nothing like family .

How long..... for me I'll take 1year grin

1 Like

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Lasinoh: 12:35am On Dec 06, 2012
Whoever the WOMAN(MOTHER OF THE NEW BABY) feels comfortable with.
Simple! She is the one to benefit or suffer from all the commotion!
No-brainer! kiss

6 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by JoannaSedley(f): 8:32am On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

I don't know where you're from but where I'm from and Igbo side(from what I've seen) it has always been the mother in-law ( husband's side) that comes to stay for a while, ofcourse the wife's mom can drop in whenever too.

as the matter of fact the wife's mom will excuse her cos that's the way it is..... cultural thing I guess and it feels right too

But but with the way things are turning around lately esp reading from NL lately , things might have changed now , power struggles everywhere no be small thing.

And like I mentioned earlier everybody can join the party too I really don't care and there's nothing like family .

it has always been the wife's mother not the husband's mother in the igbo culture.

37 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by greatgod2012(f): 10:06am On Dec 06, 2012
As for me, im surrounded by beautiful people. My MIL is d most wonderful MIL in dis whole world, and of course, my mum, very wonderful mum,so there is none of them that i cant cope with, infact, d two of them are like sisters and they both pamper me to d fullest each time i put to bed.
For those who are not finding it rosy with their MIL, i will suggest dt d wife's mum stay longer to avoid unnecessary loggerheads, because she will be free to relate with her mum d way she like, unlike d MIL who may read meanings to her action.
My opinion anyway.

4 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
Joanna Sedley: it has always been the wife's mother not the husband's mother in the igbo culture.

That's not true Jo , it even has a special name they call it undecided
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by coogar: 2:28pm On Dec 06, 2012
the wife's mother should stay.......
she would know best how to handle her own daughter...

6 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

I'm Igbo and I've always known it to be the wife's mother. She's the one who performs the omugwo. If she's not around, the eldest sister performs the function.

23 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Abali1(m): 2:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

From my own side of the Igbo(Abia), it's the wife's mum. And I believe she stays till the child goes to church, give or take three months.

5 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by 3direct: 2:37pm On Dec 06, 2012
when i was born I was such an ugly baby. My mother never breast fed me. She told me that she only liked me as a friend. neither of the Moms moms is around, this topic remind me of those loneliness time

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by trent9002(m): 2:38pm On Dec 06, 2012
None
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by chatterly: 2:43pm On Dec 06, 2012
either of the moms can stay.Given the busy lives that we have these days,a lot of the MILs are still working or busy doing other important things therefore the mil that can spare the time is mot welcome
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by catholy: 2:46pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

my dear u lie, in igboland is d wife's mom dat comes for omugwo dat is baby sittin

3 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by ZeusI: 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
Igbo tradition demands that the bride's mother(mother-in-law) should be attending, only in her absense(e.g demise or an elderly daughter's birth) would the groom's mother come.
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by jaymdee(m): 2:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
Chei!!! Ani igbo eme bi go. These kids are lacking in cultural upbringing. It's the woman's mother that comes for 'omugwo'. Simple. The man's mum can visit if convenient or when the woman's mum isn't available.

1 Like

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

sry but in Igbo its the wife's mum dat do the omugwo

1 Like

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by clemmonce(m): 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
i wil prefer my wife's mum cos she wil be able to take care of her daughter very wel but the disadvantage is that she might pollute her heart.

3 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by repogirl(f): 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

Forgive my porknosing but for ibos its the wife's mom and then the husbands mom can join the wagon. Am married to ibo, so I know. Whereas as for yorubas which I am, its d husbands people dat come or maybe dats just my family. Anyhoo I think whoever the woman is most comfy with is the one who should be there.

1 Like

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by omoseun(f): 2:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
I guess it depend on the tribe you are from, i'm Yoruba and in my tribe it is the mother-in-law that come when the wife gives birth but i believe as for the Igbo's it is the wife's mother that come and it is called "omugwo".
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by dridowu: 2:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
4 now i neva marry, but if i don marry , ojoro must enta. Na my MAMA OOOOO
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

Calm down. In Igbo culture it's the wife's mum that does the Omugwo.

2 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by lalaberry(f): 3:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
[b][/b][quote author=clemmonce]i wil prefer my wife's mum cos she wil be able to take care of her daughter very wel but the disadvantage is that she might pollute her heart.

Wat do U̶̲̥̅̊ mean by 'pollute her heart'?
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by stainless40: 3:04pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

Which igbo side are you from. In igbo land. It is culturally the woman mama that attends to her after child birth. She may stay for a month or more. While coming she brings along wit her some goodies and while going the in law will settle her with some goodies too.

4 Likes

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by beauty4(f): 3:13pm On Dec 06, 2012
greatgod2012: As for me, im surrounded by beautiful people. My MIL is d most wonderful MIL in dis whole world, and of course, my mum, very wonderful mum,so there is none of them that i cant cope with, infact, d two of them are like sisters and they both pamper me to d fullest each time i put to bed.
For those who are not finding it rosy with their MIL, i will suggest dt d wife's mum stay longer to avoid unnecessary loggerheads, because she will be free to relate with her mum d way she like, unlike d MIL who may read meanings to her action.
My opinion anyway.
am just as lucky as u, my MIL and mother are the best in the world.and i agree with u, the person the wife is more comfortable with is the best
Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
jidegirl12:

Lol . . see you talking with authority on what you don't know about!

It's the other way round o . . . Take it from an Igbo Lady who has actually experienced it! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 06, 2012
Both would stay for me.grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Fathers Jealous Of Their Kids? / My Cousin Is A Torn In My Mother's Flesh. How Do I Handle It? / Her Husband Refuses To Eat Her Food For Up To 3 Weeks And She Doesn't Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.