Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi (10363 Views)

What Is Federal Character? / To Rescind Federal Character & Quota System: What Are The Merits And Demerits? / To Rescind Federal Character & Quota System: What Are The Merits And Demerits? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by LocalChamp: 3:34am On Dec 06, 2012
Federal character breeds mediocrity, says Sanusi

Posted by: Nduka Chiejina Posted date: December 06, 2012

The Constitution encourages mediocrity, especially with the federal character principle enshrined in it, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi said yesterday.

Sanusi demanded to know the relationship between the federal character principle and the number of ministers in the cabinet.

He spoke on the last day of the Nigeria Economic Summit (NES) in Abuja.

Sanusi said: “As intelligent and as educated human beings, what is the connection between the number of states and the number of ministries at the federal level. We are talking about federal character, so if you have 50 states today, you must have 50 ministries; if you have a 100 states you must have 100 ministries?”

He criticised the Constitution for saying that there must be a minister from every state. Sanusi said: “If we create a state for the Southeast since they say they want one more state, then you must have one more minister and create a ministry, even if we don’t need it. So, because you have created one more state, the federal government must have a minister from that state”.

He described these as political issues that must be addressed. Sanusi lamented that Nigeria has “a constitution that makes it impossible for us to develop”.

Defending his position, he said: “We are required by law that the President must appoint a minister from every state. So, you have 36 and there is a system now where after the 36, again because of the federal character, you now have one per geopolitical zone. So, you have 42. We cannot develop, if we continue to have so much of our resources where government is spending 70 per cent of the nation’s revenue on itself and leaving 30 per cent to the people. Is that a sensible situation?”

The solution he explained “is to face this reality”. “Now, we are amending the constitution, why do we need 500 legislators?And let’s ask ourselves why is it that no African country has adopted this political structure? Only Nigeria, not even South Africa.”

He described himself as “a strong believer of diversity, but as a country, we have taken this diversity beyond a reasonable limit.

“We have focused so much on diversity and have succeeded in enthroning mediocrity so long as the diversity requirement is met.

Sanusi added: “The greatest challenge facing this country is the challenge of a people that have lost sight of the importance of merit.

“You have 42, you do cabinet reshuffle and bring in another 42 and I’m sure between 1999 and now, we have had more than 200 ministers and how many of them can we really remember?”

Because there are too many ministers in the cabinet, Sanusi said, “their jobs are so poorly defined and you cannot remember what they did because the only way to remember a man is based on what he did”.

Using himself and his state as an example, Sanusi said Kano State “used to be one state”. “But now it is Kano and Jigawa. When it was one state you had one governor and maybe nine or 10 commissioners. I went to King’s College and Ahmadu Bello University on Kano State government scholarship. My parents didn’t pay. I was in King’s College and the state government even paid for my rail ticket from Lagos to Kano and back and I wasn’t the only one.”

However, that one state, Sanusi said, has become “two states , two governors, two deputy governors, 40 commissioners, maybe 80 legislators and only God knows how many special advisers and assistants”.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/federal-character-breeds-mediocrity-says-sanusi/

25 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Abagworo(m): 4:49am On Dec 06, 2012
He's very correct. The cost of running government in. Nigeria is outrageous. He forgot over 774 LGAs with each having more than 10 councillors which makes it 7,740!
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by frankzone: 5:55am On Dec 06, 2012
If only those who milk us dry will listen! SLS on point!
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by nuclearboy(m): 7:22am On Dec 06, 2012
This man is more sensible than people give him credit for - even his desire for a massive layoff of non-productive slothful civil servants should (if understood by the howling mob) be praised! If simplistically we assume that laying off 50% will free half the resources (35% of the federal budget) being "supposedly" utilised for their upkeep to sit and gossip, we'd realise that this means 35% more freed up for capital expenses!

But we are immersed in slothfulness and prefer to go to government offices and spend the day gossiping and at month end get a stipend which is instantly cancelled out by the effects of non-development!

5 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by TonySpike: 8:10am On Dec 06, 2012
Was this same Sanusi Lamido not appointed CBN governor based on federal character or am I missing something here?

7 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 06, 2012
Federal character or quota system is one of the several policies DESTROYING Nig. For other destructive policies, see
https://www.nairaland.com/1118620/policies-factors-killing-country#13181171
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by ektbear: 9:58am On Dec 06, 2012
Tony Spike: Was this same Sanusi Lamido not appointed CBN governor based on federal character or am I missing something here?

I wonder ooh.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by dreday(m): 10:02am On Dec 06, 2012
SLS can speak sense? I'm amazed. If only he could be so honest on the fuel subsidy debacle. Federal character is crap
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Joey82(m): 10:04am On Dec 06, 2012
Tony Spike: Was this same Sanusi Lamido not appointed CBN governor based on federal character or am I missing something here?

it takes mor than courage to criticize a system that made u.
give the guy some credit abeg.

12 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by felifeli: 10:08am On Dec 06, 2012
LocalChamp: Federal character breeds mediocrity, says Sanusi

Posted by: Nduka Chiejina Posted date: December 06, 2012

The Constitution encourages mediocrity, especially with the federal character principle enshrined in it, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi said yesterday.

Sanusi demanded to know the relationship between the federal character principle and the number of ministers in the cabinet.

He spoke on the last day of the Nigeria Economic Summit (NES) in Abuja.

Sanusi said: “As intelligent and as educated human beings, what is the connection between the number of states and the number of ministries at the federal level. We are talking about federal character, so if you have 50 states today, you must have 50 ministries; if you have a 100 states you must have 100 ministries?”

He criticised the Constitution for saying that there must be a minister from every state. Sanusi said: “If we create a state for the Southeast since they say they want one more state, then you must have one more minister and create a ministry, even if we don’t need it. So, because you have created one more state, the federal government must have a minister from that state”.

He described these as political issues that must be addressed. Sanusi lamented that Nigeria has “a constitution that makes it impossible for us to develop”.

Defending his position, he said: “We are required by law that the President must appoint a minister from every state. So, you have 36 and there is a system now where after the 36, again because of the federal character, you now have one per geopolitical zone. So, you have 42. We cannot develop, if we continue to have so much of our resources where government is spending 70 per cent of the nation’s revenue on itself and leaving 30 per cent to the people. Is that a sensible situation?”

The solution he explained “is to face this reality”. “Now, we are amending the constitution, why do we need 500 legislators?And let’s ask ourselves why is it that no African country has adopted this political structure? Only Nigeria, not even South Africa.”

He described himself as “a strong believer of diversity, but as a country, we have taken this diversity beyond a reasonable limit.

“We have focused so much on diversity and have succeeded in enthroning mediocrity so long as the diversity requirement is met.

Sanusi added: “The greatest challenge facing this country is the challenge of a people that have lost sight of the importance of merit.

“You have 42, you do cabinet reshuffle and bring in another 42 and I’m sure between 1999 and now, we have had more than 200 ministers and how many of them can we really remember?”

Because there are too many ministers in the cabinet, Sanusi said, “their jobs are so poorly defined and you cannot remember what they did because the only way to remember a man is based on what he did”.

Using himself and his state as an example, Sanusi said Kano State “used to be one state”. “But now it is Kano and Jigawa. When it was one state you had one governor and maybe nine or 10 commissioners. I went to King’s College and Ahmadu Bello University on Kano State government scholarship. My parents didn’t pay. I was in King’s College and the state government even paid for my rail ticket from Lagos to Kano and back and I wasn’t the only one.”

However, that one state, Sanusi said, has become “two states , two governors, two deputy governors, 40 commissioners, maybe 80 legislators and only God knows how many special advisers and assistants”.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/federal-character-breeds-mediocrity-says-sanusi/

If not for federal character will the fool have been able to get where he is today ? People just say things without thinking first.

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by faithin9ja: 10:09am On Dec 06, 2012
dreday: SLS can speak sense? I'm amazed. If only he could be so honest on the fuel subsidy debacle. Federal character is crap

SLS has been speaking the truth on subsidy only most Nigerians wish to believe in fairy tales. Where in the world does any trader sell his goods for less than he bought them and expect somebody else to pay the difference, a recipe for disaster.

But as day dreamers we feel the system will work in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by bjdon: 10:10am On Dec 06, 2012
Correct man! However the problem will not be solved by the politicians as they are feeding fat on the current structure. Only a change of political structure with a new crop of non-politicians, people like SLS, Ngozi etc at the forefront can take this country forward. Everything else is just more of the same for the next 50 years, till the Oil runs out.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by tunapawizzy: 10:12am On Dec 06, 2012
THIS TRUTH IS INDISPUTABLE

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by yuzedo: 10:14am On Dec 06, 2012
dreday: SLS can speak sense? I'm amazed. If only he could be so honest on the fuel subsidy debacle. Federal character is crap
Yeah, that's the only place i've ever faulted his stance. And it is unfortunate that our most trusted public servants (Fashola, Oshiomhole, and co) were also agitating for the subsidy removal at that time without PROPERLY laying down the terms/blueprint. Was disappointing.

But honestly? SLS is presidential material anyday! He's too damn intelligent and honest, with balls of steel necessary to take tough decisions and a cosmopolitan, relatively detribalized personality. Fashola + SLS in 2015? Naija don wake up be dat, forget Muslim/Muslim situation, tell me you wont vote that ticket.
Make Ibos go siddon for now, we never arrange our home! undecided (yes, i said it, abum nwa-nri)

9 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by bjdon: 10:15am On Dec 06, 2012
felifeli:

If not for federal character will the fool have been able to get where he is today ? People just say things without thinking first.

I think you do not do the man justice. Are you saying there are no capable Hausa/Fulani people? Please. SLS is the ONLY person who has been calling it how it is in Nigeria for the last few years. Let's be honest for once. We are all want Nigeria to develop, no country on earth operates the way we do. Not one. During the Army govt we used to have at most 20 something ministers, the AFRC/SMC never used to be more than 30 members tops. The current political structure is an impediment to development.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by usmanyaro17: 10:16am On Dec 06, 2012
I agree with SLS on this,we must change our way of doing things....
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 06, 2012
tunapawizzy: THIS TRUTH IS INDISPUTABLE
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by comm: 10:21am On Dec 06, 2012
nuclearboy: This man is more sensible than people give him credit for - even his desire for a massive layoff of non-productive slothful civil servants should (if understood by the howling mob) be praised! If simplistically we assume that laying off 50% will free half the resources (35% of the federal budget) being "supposedly" utilised for their upkeep to sit and gossip, we'd realise that this means 35% more freed up for capital expenses!

But we are immersed in slothfulness and prefer to go to government offices and spend the day gossiping and at month end get a stipend which is instantly cancelled out by the effects of non-development!
its good to lay off, but have you asked where the conserved money will go to? or what the few left in government will do to put food on the table of those laid off. There's more to development than cutting down workforce, it begins in prudent management of available resources, not in waking up to discover more resources can be conserved by laying off workers only to have xcess money for those in position to loot in surplus

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by divinelove(m): 10:24am On Dec 06, 2012

yes dts y he is courageous to even fault a system dt he is benefiting frm, no other govt. appointee tries dt
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Bolan123: 10:26am On Dec 06, 2012
This is exactly what Chinua Achebe was saying in "There was A County", where merit was d issue. Dat quota system is entrenching mediocrity and many bigots are here running their dilapidated mouth.

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 06, 2012
You are definitely missing something, please go and read.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Jalal(m): 10:27am On Dec 06, 2012
truth is bitter!!!
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Martini101(m): 10:30am On Dec 06, 2012
felifeli:

. So cos he was appointed by the same system, he shouldnt say the truth abi? Itz ur likes dat draw this country backward wit ur stinking mediocrity. SLS, am wit u on this one
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Kx: 10:31am On Dec 06, 2012
SLS is on point no doubt.

However,but for federal character and quota system, perhaps SLS wont have become CBN governor.
Must we always "fall the ladder once we ve used it to climb up"?

Instead of blaming the constitution for all our national problems,
we'd achieve more by "rigthing" the observed wrongs even in our respective offices/institutions.Eg engaging suitably qualified hands into the cbn on merit; not by quota system.

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by divinelove(m): 10:34am On Dec 06, 2012
SLS is the most courageous public office holder presently, though sometimes has a poorly tot out policies but on his ideas of reducing cost of governance i support him. Existing political structure is enemical to development.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Melancholy(m): 10:35am On Dec 06, 2012
Is this same federal character that propossed to the senate that they needed more money for food in aso rock.IN THE COURSE OF AMMENDING THE CONSTITUTION,THE DUTIES OF DEPUTY GOVERNORS SHOULD BE LOOKED INTO.
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by Okijajuju1(m): 10:36am On Dec 06, 2012
[size=28pt]GBAM!!!!!!!! angry [/size]
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by bjdon: 10:39am On Dec 06, 2012
Kx: SLS is on point no doubt.

However,but for federal character and quota system, perhaps SLS wont have become CBN governor.
Must we always "fall the ladder once we ve used it to climb up"?

The fact he may or may not have gained from the system is not the point my brother. The point is the system is WRONG! There are many cases of people changing systems they may have gained from. In the UK the current generation of leaders had their University education system paid for and they actually got grants to go to school. 10 years ago those same people had to cancel the grant because the UK could no longer afford it. They did not say 'hey, I gained from this therefore I can't cancel it' they took the tough option which was in the best interest of the country. That is what leadership is all about. At independence there may well have been some merit in the Federal Character approach to give all sections of the country a sense of belonging, but it has now outlived its usefulness and is actually an impediment to growth and development. Any patriotic lover of the Nation can raise this as SLS has, regardless of if they benefited from it or not.

4 Likes

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by OjujuCalabar(m): 10:47am On Dec 06, 2012
This is about the only sense this mallam has made in the recent times.
He is very correct.
Nigeria is running about the most expensive system of government in the world. shocked shocked cry cry

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by bigx(m): 10:48am On Dec 06, 2012
This man has commonsense, a lot of Nigerians don't, which is why they keep insulting him

1 Like

Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by TonySpike: 10:58am On Dec 06, 2012
blink182: You are definitely missing something, please go and read.

grin grin grin
I was just being rhetorical, bro. You cracked me up...
Re: Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi by lacasa: 10:59am On Dec 06, 2012
If there is no federal character tomorrow, pipl from places like middle-belt and niger-delta wiill cry segregation, inaccess to opportunities, hausa/igbo/yoruba will dominate govt,...Blah! Blah!.

And vice-versa.. Na wa for my country pipl

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking News: Tambuwal Likely To Decamp To Apc Today / Cash-less Policy Begins In Kano, Anambra, Rivers, Ogun, Abia & Abuja / These States Have The Highest Number Of Ritualists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.