Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? (25936 Views)

Free Vehicle Scan For Car/s & Suvs Owners In Lagos State / Why Do We Use Klin/omo Detergent To Wash Cars In Nigeria? / Tips for car owners and those who are looking for a car! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by alphaconde(m): 9:14am On Dec 06, 2012
This morning I was douzing detergent in water to start cleaning my car but a passer by vehemently asked me to stop using detergent but instead use liquid soap or car wash. But I do think they both contain same chemical compounds that forms soap but I don't know which contains the harmful one. Your advice, experiences and contributions needed.

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Lexusgs430: 9:38am On Dec 06, 2012
But one is specially formulated to care for clothing fabric, while the other is also formulated to care for cookery products and the other is also specially formulated to care for car paint works, metal etc etc etc
Why don't you use soap to brush your teeth? @ least they both lather!!!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by kenmaro: 11:14am On Dec 06, 2012
Extensive use of detergents will cause the shining paint finishing of your car to look dull overtime.

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 06, 2012
alpha conde: This morning I was douzing detergent in water to start cleaning my car but a passer by vehemently asked me to stop using detergent but instead use liquid soap or car wash. But I do think they both contain same chemical compounds that forms soap but I don't know which contains the harmful one. Your advice, experiences and contributions needed.

Another result of not reading the Owner's Manual for your car.

Detergents and washing-up liquid are NOT meant for paintwork. It's way too harsh, and strips of the top layer of lacquer. The paint will become dull, and flat, lacking shine. You're meant to either use car shampoo, car wash and wax, or just plain water. NEVER household detergents. which contain acids that will kill your paintwork.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 06, 2012
LIQUID SOAP. SOME MEXICAN ONCE USED DETERGENT ON MY RIDE. THE SHINY BLACK COLOR TURNED INTO A DULL BLACK COLOR. TOOK THE SHINE OF MY RIDE
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by chemashie(m): 12:46pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ouch!! Have been using detergent to wash my car for sometime now. Thanx for the info..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Ibadiarann(m): 12:59pm On Dec 06, 2012
Lexusgs430: But one is specially formulated to care for clothing fabric, while the other is also formulated to care for cookery products and the other is also specially formulated to care for car paint works, metal etc etc etc

I Love your analysis. Very logical.

2 Likes

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Shakara123(m): 1:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
Detergent ke! Hope you don't add hypo bleach to it to make it sparkling clean oh.

Let's not be penny wise...
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by cecegorz(m): 1:05pm On Dec 06, 2012
Lexusgs430: But one is specially formulated to care for clothing fabric, while the other is also formulated to care for cookery products and the other is also specially formulated to care for car paint works, metal etc etc etc

LWFMH!!!
There is actually a popular Car Wash liquid can in most shops, i think it's produced by one Badmus company or so.
You just can't miss it if you ask, and it's cheap too, less than 500bucks.
This keeps your car shinning year on year.
Badly enough, most 'car wash' centres in Lagos use detergent!

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by pinky21(f): 1:05pm On Dec 06, 2012
I don't ve a car cry

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by cecegorz(m): 1:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
pinky21: I don't ve a car cry
Mind if i buy you one? wink
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Ibadiarann(m): 1:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
pinky21: I don't ve a car cry

Pele........

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Redmosquito(m): 1:14pm On Dec 06, 2012
They call detergents whitening powder for a reason.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by alphaconde(m): 1:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
Can the liquid mix do a good work with the interior, cus that's the main reason I can't do without detergent.

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by 18wheeler: 1:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
I got a faded car right now because my 'maigad' was using detergent on it. I did bodywork just a year ago & got to do another now. Please desist from using detergent. The car wax dont cost that much, roughly 400naira for the average ones.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Finland(m): 1:22pm On Dec 06, 2012
alpha conde: This morning I was douzing detergent in water to start cleaning my car but a passer by vehemently asked me to stop using detergent but instead use liquid soap or car wash. But I do think they both contain same chemical compounds that forms soap but I don't know which contains the harmful one. Your advice, experiences and contributions needed.
This is when money miss road. some people are not meant to use a car . . . . grin
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by pappilo(m): 1:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
Turtle Wax for the paintwork. Fairy liquid for the wheels. Omo and Surf is a no no
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by pinky21(f): 1:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
grin
cecegorz:
Mind if i buy you one? wink
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Kx: 1:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
Finland:
This is when money miss road. some people are not meant to use a car . . . . grin

Dont think so.
The fact that one is ignorant about something at a point in time does not make one "a money miss road". If so, why do we learn?

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by hugafella(m): 1:37pm On Dec 06, 2012
Siena:

Another result of not reading the Owner's Manual for your car.

Detergents and washing-up liquid are NOT meant for paintwork. It way too harsh, and strips of the top layer of lacquer. The paint will become dull, and flat, lacking shine. You're meant to either use car shampoo, car wash and wax, or just plain water. NEVER household detergents. which contain acids that will kill your paintwork.

Point of correction my brother. A detergent CAN NEVER CONTAIN ACIDS!

1 Like

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by ferhyntorlah(f): 1:42pm On Dec 06, 2012
None should be used. I'm actually surprised that some people don't know that both aren't good as they gradually strip the car of its colour.

This is something I've known since I was a child as my dad made my brothers understand that detergents(Omo in demand then) shouldn't be used for the above reason whenever they wanted to wash his car.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 06, 2012
hugafella: Point of correction my brother. A detergent CAN NEVER CONTAIN ACIDS!

I'm afraid they do. We're not talking hydrocloric acid, but they DO contain acids.

2 Likes

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
ferhyntorlah: None should be used. I'm actually surprised that some people don't know that both aren't good as they gradually strip the car of its colour.

This is something I've known since I was a child as my dad made my brothers understand that detergents(Omo in demand then) shouldn't be used for the above reason whenever they wanted to wash his car.

Thank you! cool
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Wallie(m): 2:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
To reiterate what was already said, using detergents and liquid soap on your car will strip the top layer that protects the paint. I actually do it sometimes when I want to re-seal the paint with wax to get a better shining car. There's a liquid soap called Dawn that will strip every bit of wax off your car giving you a clean slate to add new wax.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by alliswell2(m): 2:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
funny enough i've never used liqour or detergent to wash my car for the past 3yrs plus.the the Ash piant colour is it gomouring and shining.
Secret is i use ordinary water to wash and clean my benz 230E. my papa dash my.and i learnt that from my daddy.
Note plz....not colour Well water.but nomal clean well water.

4 Likes

Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Abali1(m): 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wow.... I know about detergent, but I'm just getting to know about liquid soap... I normally use, morning fresh. Am going to the nearest shop to buy car wash.
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by babseg(m): 2:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
Bar soap is better eg Lux soap if u don't have money u can buy okin soap grin
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by dridowu: 2:32pm On Dec 06, 2012
Use Dettol Cool bar soap, better dan liquid and detergent. It protect ur car frm microbes or better still use sand paper to scratch ur car, it makes ur car to shine very well
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 06, 2012
dridowu: Use Dettol Cool bar soap, better dan liquid and detergent. It protect ur car frm microbes or better still use sand paper to scratch ur car, it makes ur car to shine very well

Easy bro! Some people may take what you've posted literally. Sarcasm is lost on some. wink
Re: Detergent Or Liquid Soap For Car Wash? by dridowu: 3:46pm On Dec 06, 2012
Siena:

Easy bro! Some people may take what you've posted literally. Sarcasm is lost on some. wink
Eeyaaa, thanks 4 d koretn, na kid dy wori me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Lovers! : Feed Your Korokoro Eyes! / 2005 Odyssey & 2005 Sienna: Which Is Better? / Toyota Has Set The Record For The World's Fastest SUV With 230mph(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.