Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? (12033 Views)

Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC / Ebola: Donald Trump Wants US To Stop All Flights From West Africa To The US / Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by jacoplain(m): 2:07am On Dec 07, 2012
Andrew Neil on the BBC1 programme "This Week" of 6 Dec 2012 11.35 pm started the programme by cracking an irrelevant joke and comparing something to "Nigerian email scams". The topic he was discussing had nothing to do with Nigeria but he still went ahead and cracked his racist joke all the same just like I have been noticing in a few BBC programmes of late.

I've made a written complaint both to the programme web page and also on the general BBC complaints page. The text of my complaint is reproduced below :-

Andrew Neil on the BBC1 programme "This Week" of 6 Dec 2012 11.35 pm started the programme by cracking an irrelevant joke and comparing something to "Nigerian email scams". The topic he was discussing had nothing to do with Nigeria but he still went ahead and cracked his racist joke all the same just like I have been noticing in a few BBC programmes of late.

These subtle and not so subtle distasteful and racist jokes about Nigeria have to be stopped by the BBC. I know that the BBC is painfully white in the words of a former Director of BBC but I expect the BBC to show a duty of care to its many Nigerian viewers who also pay their TV licence and are sick and tired of these racist jokes about their country.

Even if you at the BBC and/or majority of your viewers find such jokes funny, Nigerians do not.

If the BBC is saying that all Nigerians are email scammers then they are simply being racist and ought to be ashamed of themselves.

These are the relevant complaint pages if you want to make a written complaint :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_week/contact_us/default.stm

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?reset=#anchor

19 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by outrage: 6:03am On Dec 07, 2012
Can you really blame them?

2 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 07, 2012
Andrew Neil should crack more jokes on BBC's several $exual abuse scandals. bunch of raci$t p£dophile$!

80% of online scam comes from the UK & USA:

live & work in America....click here
You are the 9999999 visitor ...click here
work from home and make $500 daily .........click here
to finish your registration enter your credit card info...click here
upgrade to premium membership........click here
study in university of liverpool.....click here
etc.

nonsense propaganda bbc

9 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
outrage: Can you really blame them?

Do you have a BRAIN IN YOUR HEAD?

TELL ME SOMETHING. IN YOUR EMAIL BOX, WHERE DO THE MAJORITY OF SCAM EMAILS EMANATE FROM?

Is it not the UK and USA?

''You won the lottery! Send a txt to xyz to claim!''

''You've been selected to win a prize! Click here to claim!''

''We have a plan that can make you rich in one week! Click here!''

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE FALL FOR THOSE SCAMS EVERY SINGLE DAY?

ARE THEY COMING FROM NIGERIA?

RUBBISH.

25 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by dridowu: 8:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
Bbc...............CNN
Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Afam4eva(m): 8:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
ROSSIKE:

TELL ME SOMETHING. IN YOUR EMAIL BOX, WHERE DO THE MAJORITY OF SCAM EMAILS EMANATE FROM?

RUBBISH.

A lot of those mail emanate from Nigeria. Let's tell ourselves the truth. But that's not a reason for the BBC to paint the whole country black.

7 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by dramenda(f): 8:12pm On Dec 07, 2012
when we stop rubbishing ourself. cool

7 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by trolling(m): 8:14pm On Dec 07, 2012
u no get mouth jare na their land and corporation,they can say what they like and if u no like am then change stations

4 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by heed101(m): 8:15pm On Dec 07, 2012
dridowu: Bbc...............CNN
u got my mind. I was abt to respond to the post because those spam msgs are from nigeria.

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by salam001(m): 8:15pm On Dec 07, 2012
Silly Nigerians will come online now to talk ill of Nigeria,Ghanaian rate of internet scam(which they know as "sakawa") is higher than Nigeria's as of recent,when will they stop the insults,yahoo yahoo have decreased drastically compared to year 2010

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by dramenda(f): 8:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
ROSSIKE:

RUBBISH..

HEllo, virtually all those mail are sent by nigerians living in southy,malasia,london etc. they succeded in rubbishing our image already.see hold a nigeria passport in europe and american u are a suspect.

3 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by ashaju33: 8:19pm On Dec 07, 2012
To hell with BBC..am always annoyed with all these oyinbo anti-black ideas as if they are not the one that taught us scamming & d likes

2 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by SisiKill1: 8:19pm On Dec 07, 2012
Lmao! I think "Nigerian Email Scam" has just become a figure of speech of sorts (Euphemism perhaps? ) not to be taken literally.

Hey maybe if y'all stop call them raggedy looking muti-colored bags GHANA MUST GO, others might follow suit and stop calling all email scams NIGERIAN EMAIL SCAMS?!

Should we put it to test? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by userlist(f): 8:20pm On Dec 07, 2012
Defend the indefensible
Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by dramenda(f): 8:21pm On Dec 07, 2012
trolling: u no get mouth jare na their land and corporation,they can say what they like and if u no like am then change stations

abi? why not listen to galaxy news.lol

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by GeJ79: 8:21pm On Dec 07, 2012
UTLL THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT DO SOMETHING.
Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by koolet: 8:22pm On Dec 07, 2012
cry i guess the question is wen will Nigeria stop rubbishing themselves

2 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by NEROSKY(m): 8:24pm On Dec 07, 2012
[size=17pt]2moro[/size]

[size=15pt]"when will Nigeria stop their corrupt practices,Called polities??"[/size]
Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by honestivo(m): 8:24pm On Dec 07, 2012
Britàin is d root of nigeria problms. Dey r nt saint in any way

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Gozzzy(m): 8:25pm On Dec 07, 2012
Only when Nigeria stops rubbishing herself!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 07, 2012
MTN na criminal network,emptyhen,nkenwa nkenwa,yet he recharges his MTN modem monthly to browse and/or receive calls.typical nigerians.if you dislike BBC programmes,change tha f**kin station and quit whining like a menstruating bia*ch!

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Sunymoore(m): 8:28pm On Dec 07, 2012
Only when we destroy our mumu leaders
Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by ballabriggs: 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2012
RUBBISH!!!

When will NTA grow beyond its mediocre transmission? When will NTA truly spread internationally with high definition quality pictures? The Russians have RT, the Chinese CCTV, the Italians RAI, SABC, Al Jazeera for the Quatari and Canal+ for the French. All these stations they use in spreading global propaganda.

They are simply exploiting your weakness as you don't have your own media, why not turn your weakness into strength.

What happened to NTA? You loot it dry and then come out crying. BBC reports negative about Russia, Russia's RTV does a documentary on "Lazy Britain", that is the spirit. Stop moaning, you cannot be victims forever, get your acts together and stop complaining of being bullied.

@topic some of these cry about "racism" really gets me pissed. It's a mere banter and you should not go sleepless over it. Does racism exist? I don't know and I don't care. That is the attitude I carry on my job and life over here. I don't go about moaning as it seems I am looking to be pitied. Get over it mate.

On a positive side, people tell me Nigerians are very smart people because of those e-mails. I laugh over it and I give them my own piece of mind about them too. That is the attitude and that should be the attitude. I see it as mates exchanging banter- though that presenter is very irresponsible on this occasion.

To hell with anyone who wants to look down on you because of your skin colour, I care less about it. Such people are not worth your attention so get over it and move on.

28 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Wsdm: 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2012
When our leaders start taking us serious and stop talking nonsense to us. Nonsense like ' i don't give a damn'; ' you have to Queue for a whole day in the filling station because you ask for transparency';' 1.3b Naira is not enough to feed the president in a year', etc...

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by OmoTier1(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2012
If we to by BBC logic, then I can also conclude that BBC employees are child abusers! Even now every male employee of the BBC I see makes me wonder if they should be allowed to go any where near a child!

As for those who claim those e-mail scams are from Nigeria or Nigeria, you are absolutely wrong. Remember how they used to tell us that our banking system. Was systematic corrupt? But what happen in 2008 when the wind blew?...

2 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Babalegba(m): 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2012
At the OP Nigeria is an extremely corrupt nation, that is why people from other nations rubbish it because it is human nature to mock rubbish which normally serve as a deterrent to others. The UK would come down hard on rubbish but NIgerians praise it. You should be annoyed at your countrymen not the BBC, in fact you should hope that all these negative publicity would help your country to change and move forward

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by rickross2: 8:34pm On Dec 07, 2012
afam4eva:

A lot of those mail emanate from Nigeria. Let's tell ourselves the truth. But that's not a reason for the BBC to paint the whole country black.

What are you talking about? Even if a Nigerian defrauds a staff of BBC is that enough reason to continuously talk shiitt about Nigeria?
Majority of the email scamms originate from USA, China and Russia. A great number of those scam emails also originate from the UK and many parts of Africa and Europe.

I dont blame dem white supremacists, I blame Nigerians and their leaders.

Why are we not questioning them British for coming into our countries and raaaaping our fore fathers and ruining our culture/economy? Who gave them visas to come to Africa anyways Who authorized them to colonize us? These guys make me sick... If they are looking for stuffs to talk about they should talk about the poverty ravaging them recently... They should try and get out of the mess they find themselves before they can talk about scams.

5 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 07, 2012
dramenda: when we stop rubbishing ourself. cool
A question was asked and I believe the answer has been provided.
Thread closed!

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by nigerstarr: 8:37pm On Dec 07, 2012
I have noticed that on BBC programs too—they do this through code or directly. I think it is up to our embassy in London to act on this. Also I found Nlanders to be sarcastically stupid to contribute worthwhile to any topic, they are too quick to jump on condemning Nigeria for everything. Go to Ghanaian or Kenyan or South African websites, you never read anything negative about their countries, but for Nigerians… Are we such a group of negative people?

4 Likes

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by talk2xp: 8:38pm On Dec 07, 2012
dramenda: when we stop rubbishing ourself. cool

I get it now. The British or Americans do not rubbish themselves right? I guess you are one innocent dude that does his business legitimately but you do not get recognition for your efforts but the british and americans adore your corrupt officials becomes they take all their loots from Nigeria to this countries. Of course their economy flourishes while ours suffers. The same british messed up this country from the very start and now a dummy makes jokes about us. These same fools applaud the arab spring and they say someone have been ruling for years. This people are not just sincere.

1 Like

Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 07, 2012
..... when Nigeria stops being rubbish
Re: When Is The BBC Going To Stop Rubbishing Nigeria ? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 07, 2012
Them dey beg u watch? By the way that's why its important to be careful how u brand urself, a reputation is the hardest thing to shake off. Even if u do really change, it sticks. U cannot deny Nigeria created this reputation for itslef. And also, there is nothing racist about that. Not every negative comment made by a white man towards a black must be classified as a racist attack.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Militaries Ammo Stocks Low As Ukraine War Drags - NATO, British Officials / Stephen Hawking Urges Humans To Leave Earth To Avoid Disaster / Shell Defends 'Difficult' Decision To Buy Russian Crude Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.