Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta (5279 Views)

Nigeriens Arrested For Robbery In Nigeria (photo) / Mother Of 3 Got Arrested For Robbery In Lagos / 2 Female Undergraduates Stripped For Robbery In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by jayjam(m): 8:36am On Dec 07, 2012
…As kidnappers of SenatorOkowa’s dad know fate today
Asaba—A 34-year-old farmer at Kwale town, in Ndokwa West Local Government Area of Delta State, Emeka Ogwu, has been sentenced to death by an Effurun High Court for armed robbery.

One of the prosecution witnesses, Dorothy Asekpokai, a business woman, had told the courtthat the convict attempted to rob her on June 12, 2007, when she visited her new building site around Osubi.
She also identified the convict as the one who attempted to rob her witha gun but she narrowly escaped after driving away at top speed.
She said that in the process of escaping, she knocked down the convict,after which she raised alarm that eventually led to his arrest.

The court, presided over by Justice Godwin Gbemre, stated that prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.
Ogwu was arraigned on a three-count charge of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, attempt to commit armed robbery and illegal possession of firearms, contrary to Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

Meanwhile, suspected kidnappers of father of former Delta State Secretary to Government, SSG, Chief Arthur Okowa, now a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,will know their fate today as judgment is expected to be delivered.
Six persons are facing a five-count charge in connection with the alleged kidnap.
According to prosecution, the accused persons, on or about July 20, 2008, at Boji-Boji Owa, within Owa-Oyibu judicial division, while in the company of others now at large, also robbed one Chief Arthur Okowa (male) of N7,000 cash while armed with a gun.

Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/farmer-sentenced-to-death-for-robbery/
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by 3direct: 10:11am On Dec 07, 2012
Too bad!! angry angry

Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Afam4eva(m): 10:16am On Dec 07, 2012
Did he kill someone in the course of the robbery?
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Intrepid1(m): 10:17am On Dec 07, 2012
'Minor' criminals get heavy sentences, 'Major' criminals get National Honours. Good people, Great Nation!

5 Likes

Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by odehaj: 10:18am On Dec 07, 2012
34 year-old!God have mercy.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by tew: 10:18am On Dec 07, 2012
Where are the foolish politician stealing our money,where are they.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by fm7070: 10:19am On Dec 07, 2012
As much as I condemn the act of robbery, the judgemnt is too harsh.
If they're giving death sentence for attempted robbery.
What should be given to pen robbers, gun robbers and assasins
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Obinnau(m): 10:20am On Dec 07, 2012
the nigerian judiciary is disarray. Why not place them in rehabilition instead of death sentence. The death sentence should be allowed if both the high and low recieve eqaul punishments.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:20am On Dec 07, 2012
he doesnt deserve death. farmers are so poor in our country that they are forced to resort to such means. the govt should provided development in the agriculture sector to prevent such mishaps.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Opoki(m): 10:51am On Dec 07, 2012
This man don suffer...he will be on the death roll for years.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by pressongodsay(m): 10:57am On Dec 07, 2012
why death sentence, why not 20yrs inprisonment. I beleive this is too hard. I wonder the kind of death sentence that will given to all the useless senators and speakers.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by symbianDON(m): 10:59am On Dec 07, 2012
come to think of it.... A robber who farms grin who knows? Am sure he farms bullets and gun powder!!!
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Ndoz(m): 11:04am On Dec 07, 2012
Na wa o
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by deltaforce7(m): 11:13am On Dec 07, 2012
afam4eva]Did he kill someone in the course of the robbery?

You just took that question from my mind.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by dadicvila(m): 11:18am On Dec 07, 2012
as you as he dint kill anybody in the course of the robbery i wönder why he should be sentenced to death.....naija and our strange laws that surpasses reasoning
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Benite: 11:23am On Dec 07, 2012
I strickly condemn act of robery but i think this is mere fabrication to kill this man why? The woman (alleged victim) said : he pointed gun at her, she drove off, she turned and knock him down, he was then arrested !!! Haba my question why didn't the guy shoot when she drove off?, how was she able to knock him down when she was on the run?, can you knock somebody with gun down and come OUT and start shouting when he is with the gun, since the guy was still with the gun why didnt he shoot when he was knocked down?, where is the person she went to visit to show she was there at that time?, since the judge is convinced where is the gun he used?, where are the people that arrested (witness) him?, what took the case so long since she had evidence?, why didnt the jugde sentence him to jail for futile robbery? etc. Them just wan kill am period

1 Like

Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 07, 2012
In as much as I'm not an advocate of capital punishment, this guy is a convicted armed robber. He didn't kill his victim, but would you guys rather wait till he did? Kidnapping in some state in North America carry the Death Penalty. Bear in mind, not all kidnappings are carried out with weapons. The sentence is based upon a kidnapper unlawfully depriving one or more individuals of their freedom, regardless of a ransom being involved, or not.

In countries where the Death Penalty is practiced, armed robbers are executed IF convicted of armed robbery. Weapons could be knives, daggers, guns or even toy guns. If you hold up a gas station or a householder with a toy gun, and you're caught, you'll be tried for armed robbery. And if you're convicted, are liable to be put to death. It wouldn't matter that the gun used was a toy, a fake, or even an empty real gun. It still served it's purpose, as far as the law's concerned.

An armed robber is an armed robber, regardless of if he / she kill his / her victims, or not.

2 Likes

Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Nobody: 11:41am On Dec 07, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
he doesnt deserve death. farmers are so poor in our country that they are forced to resort to such means. the govt should provided development in the agriculture sector to prevent such mishaps.

Poverty's not an excuse to resort to armed robbery. A high percentage of Nigerians are living below the poverty line - would it then be right for them to all go out robbing others? Because that's what I can glean from your statement.

The Nigerian government is worse than useless, agreed. But it's high time Nigerians stopped blaming the government for their ills. Nigeria's been mis-managed for decades, and it's not about to change any time soon, so if that's a reason to resort to mayhem, then Nigeria's in for a rough time.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by slimming: 11:52am On Dec 07, 2012
It is safe to defraud the govt in billion of naira than stealing your neighbors spoon.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Wsdm: 12:13pm On Dec 07, 2012
Intrepid!:
'Minor' criminals get heavy sentences, 'Major' criminals get National Honours. Good people, Great Nation!
... Some of them are even defended for dining with Mr president.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by pak: 12:32pm On Dec 07, 2012
Siena: In as much as I'm not an advocate of capital punishment, this guy is a convicted armed robber. He didn't kill his victim, but would you guys rather wait till he did? Kidnapping in some state in North America carry the Death Penalty. Bear in mind, not all kidnappings are carried out with weapons. The sentence is based upon a kidnapper unlawfully depriving one or more individuals of their freedom, regardless of a ransom being involved, or not.

In countries where the Death Penalty is practiced, armed robbers are executed IF convicted of armed robbery. Weapons could be knives, daggers, guns or even toy guns. If you hold up a gas station or a householder with a toy gun, and you're caught, you'll be tried for armed robbery. And if you're convicted, are liable to be put to death. It wouldn't matter that the gun used was a toy, a fake, or even an empty real gun. It still served it's purpose, as far as the law's concerned.

An armed robber is an armed robber, regardless of if he / she kill his / her victims, or not.

You just nailed it bro,

Nobody could have put it in a better way
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by janykute: 12:39pm On Dec 07, 2012
Was the capital punishment introduced in Delta state after Ibori"s conviction?
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 07, 2012
janykute: Was the capital punishment introduced in Delta state after Ibori"s conviction?

I have no idea, though I'm sure you could find out somehow.

Just one question though - was James Ibori an Armed Robber? Or a Pen Robber?
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by kunletech: 1:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
Benite: I strickly condemn act of robery but i think this is mere fabrication to kill this man why? The woman (alleged victim) said : he pointed gun at her, she drove off, she turned and knock him down, he was then arrested !!! Haba my question why didn't the guy shoot when she drove off?, how was she able to knock him down when she was on the run?, can you knock somebody with gun down and come OUT and start shouting when he is with the gun, since the guy was still with the gun why didnt he shoot when he was knocked down?, where is the person she went to visit to show she was there at that time?, since the judge is convinced where is the gun he used?, where are the people that arrested (witness) him?, what took the case so long since she had evidence?, why didnt the jugde sentence him to jail for futile robbery? etc. Them just wan kill am period

ur are 100% correct, may be He has (land) issue with d woman, then the woman frame him up in other to take over.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 07, 2012
kunletech:

ur are 100% correct, may be He has (land) issue with d woman, then the woman frame him up in other to take over.

Hahahahahaha! That's so funny! How did you come up with this? grin 100% correct, as in no shred of doubt? LMBAO.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by dederocs(m): 2:28pm On Dec 07, 2012
the bastard deserves to die..any armed robber deserves death for the psychological trauma they cause thier victims.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Sarky(m): 8:17pm On Dec 07, 2012
Siena: In as much as I'm not an advocate of capital punishment, this guy is a convicted armed robber. He didn't kill his victim, but would you guys rather wait till he did? Kidnapping in some state in North America carry the Death Penalty. Bear in mind, not all kidnappings are carried out with weapons. The sentence is based upon a kidnapper unlawfully depriving one or more individuals of their freedom, regardless of a ransom being involved, or not.

My man u'r juz a muda fucka. U'v shown hw senseless ur lil brain hd been. U'r neva been a victim of set-up. Attepmted robbery= Death Sentence. I dnt cry 4d poor guy bt I cry 4d nxt victim of poverty. Bleep NIGERIAN LAW. Bleep AFRICA. Bleep d WORLD.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Ogundale(m): 9:53pm On Dec 07, 2012
fm7070: As much as I condemn the act of robbery, the judgemnt is too harsh.
If they're giving death sentence for attempted robbery.
What should be given to pen robbers, gun robbers and assasins
they would be thrown in the gate of hell.
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by Nobody: 1:45am On Dec 08, 2012
Sarky: My man u'r juz a muda fucka. U'v shown hw senseless ur lil brain hd been. U'r neva been a victim of set-up. Attepmted robbery= Death Sentence. I dnt cry 4d poor guy bt I cry 4d nxt victim of poverty. Bleep NIGERIAN LAW. Bleep AFRICA. Bleep d WORLD.

Can even you make any sense or what you've just posted here? Sounds like you're ranting at the wrong person. Take your sob story and / or protest to your government - afterall, I haven't screwed your country, they have! grin
Re: Farmer Sentenced To Death For Robbery In Delta by anigold(m): 9:06am On Dec 08, 2012
Benite: I strickly condemn act of robery but i think this is mere fabrication to kill this man why? The woman (alleged victim) said : he pointed gun at her, she drove off, she turned and knock him down, he was then arrested !!! Haba my question why didn't the guy shoot when she drove off?, how was she able to knock him down when she was on the run?, can you knock somebody with gun down and come OUT and start shouting when he is with the gun, since the guy was still with the gun why didnt he shoot when he was knocked down?, where is the person she went to visit to show she was there at that time?, since the judge is convinced where is the gun he used?, where are the people that arrested (witness) him?, what took the case so long since she had evidence?, why didnt the jugde sentence him to jail for futile robbery? etc. Them just wan kill am period
you just said my mind. NIGERIA IS IN TROUBLE, people wil steal billions and are given National awards. Somebody wil steal notin as he/she is sent to Deathrow

(1) (Reply)

Century 18" Rechargeable Fan With Remote FRC 45-B ₦ 12,500 / Aki Na Pawpaw In Auto-crash, Still In Critical Condition / Viral Video Of A Lady Trying To Force A Man To Have Sex With Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.