Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... (804 Views)

The Falsehood In The Book Of Hebrews / Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. / The Original Hebrews Are Black Africans From Ancient Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by plappville(f): 2:43pm On Dec 07, 2012
Who do you think authored it?

1) Paul
2) Barnabas
3) Apollos
4) Timothy
5) Combination of two or more.

I not so sure of who penned this Book, but I believed God wrote it by using man as a tool.
This tool used is what i'm simply curious to identify, so i would like to know what others think.

Several persons argue Paul, Apollos, Barnabas or Timothy. This appears to be a tough one that is basically unanswerable with any absolute certainty.
I think some section of the book, may leads to believe that Paul did wrote it though.

(Hebrews 13:22-24) 22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.
23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.
24 Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you.

Seeing in most of Paul's writing, Timothy seem to be under or working with Paul's ministry.
This shosw Paul wrote this very letter.

And this one:(2 Peter 3:15-16) 15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Scripture itself gave the most compelling. Peter wrote this to the Hebrews (The Jews).again see Galatians 2:7,9 Peter is "confirming" that Paul had also written a letter to the Hebrews!(2 Peter 3:15-16).

Now take a look at this section: All other times Paul references Scripture, he does not address it this way.

Hebrews 2:6 - But one has "testified somewhere", saying, "WHAT IS MAN, THAT YOU REMEMBER HIM ? OR THE SON OF MAN, THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT HIM?

Hebrews 4:4 - For He has said "somewhere" concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS ";

I think the way Scripture is referenced here doesn't read like Paul.
The way the author referred back to the OT is not how Paul referred back to them. I don't know if anyone is seeing it?

Again here in:Hebrews 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
It seems that the readers did not see or hear Jesus in His earthly ministry. This does not discribe Paul.

What do you think? Anything to add or something that doesn't sound right? your views please.

God bless.
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by Goshen360(m): 4:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
We can say alot about the book of Hebrews and the Pastor who wrote it. This is my personal favourite book of the Bible. The book connects the Old and the New while it teaches the Old is gone. It's a book that set the NT Christians free from the manipulations of some pastors. Any Christian that study this book will love it because it exposes many false teachings of our days. It tells you what the Old Testament was meant to do and had done it. The New is here and God no longer operates in the ways he operated in the past - God operates and has now spoken in Christ.

New International Version (©1984)
1. In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,

2. but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.

Hebrews 1:1-2

These two verse is what was divinely expanded all through the end of the book of Hebrews. I love this book so much. Glory to God!

1 Like

Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by plappville(f): 5:19pm On Dec 07, 2012
Goshen360: We can say alot about the book of Hebrews and the Pastor who wrote it. This is my personal favourite book of the Bible. The book connects the Old and the New while it teaches the Old is gone. It's a book that set the NT Christians free from the manipulations of some pastors. Any Christian that study this book will love it because it exposes many false teachings of our days. It tells you what the Old Testament was meant to do and had done it. The New is here and God no longer operates in the ways he operated in the past - God operates and has now spoken in Christ.

New International Version (©1984)
1. In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,

2. but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.

Hebrews 1:1-2

These two verse is what was divinely expanded all through the end of the book of Hebrews. I love this book so much. Glory to God!

Don't tell me you read onlt Hebrews in the whole of the Bible ? grin grin grin (jk)

How it is written in the beginning of the book "The Epistle To the Hebrews" (1:1) shows this letter was written either to Jewish believers or else Gentile believers interested in the OT, You are right about its "connection" with the OT. There are many appeals to the OT, and it warned against a return to Judaism.

So what have you to say about the thread body?
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by Goshen360(m): 5:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
^^^ I believe Apostle Paul wrote the book with many proves from the book. The change in style of writing is to capture the heart of the Jewish believers in order to let them know God is done away with Judaism. Let me try find the thread I did and pull some hints for you. I'll be right back.
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by RanchOwner: 6:20pm On Dec 07, 2012
plappville: Who do you think authored it?

1) Paul
2) Barnabas
3) Apollos
4) Timothy
5) Combination of two or more.

I not so sure of who penned this Book, but I believed God wrote it by using man as a tool.
This tool used is what i'm simply curious to identify, so i would like to know what others think.

Several persons argue Paul, Apollos, Barnabas or Timothy. This appears to be a tough one that is basically unanswerable with any absolute certainty.
I think some section of the book, may leads to believe that Paul did wrote it though.

(Hebrews 13:22-24) 22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.
23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.
24 Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you.

Seeing in most of Paul's writing, Timothy seem to be under or working with Paul's ministry.
This shosw Paul wrote this very letter.

And this one:(2 Peter 3:15-16) 15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Scripture itself gave the most compelling. Peter wrote this to the Hebrews (The Jews).again see Galatians 2:7,9 Peter is "confirming" that Paul had also written a letter to the Hebrews!(2 Peter 3:15-16).

Now take a look at this section: All other times Paul references Scripture, he does not address it this way.

Hebrews 2:6 - But one has "testified somewhere", saying, "WHAT IS MAN, THAT YOU REMEMBER HIM ? OR THE SON OF MAN, THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT HIM?

Hebrews 4:4 - For He has said "somewhere" concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS ";

I think the way Scripture is referenced here doesn't read like Paul.
The way the author referred back to the OT is not how Paul referred back to them. I don't know if anyone is seeing it?

Again here in:Hebrews 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
It seems that the readers did not see or hear Jesus in His earthly ministry. This does not discribe Paul.

What do you think? Anything to add or something that doesn't sound right? your views please.

God bless.

The letter to the Hebrews is one of the books of the bible which is difficult to ascertain who wrote it, but the receivers is well-known, the Hebrews or Jews.
Various names like Paul, Peter, even James the half brother of Jesus have been suggested as authors.
However what is known about the book, is that it was written to Jews in the diaspora (those Jews who are now converted and not living in Jerusalem). These Jews still practised the old Jewish customs in their various synagogues across the Roman empire.
The author's intention is to take the Hebrews through the old testament book of Leviticus about priesthood and how they now have a better priesthood in Jesus Christ. Showing them to discard their old customs and traditions and take up a more better option.
If thorough study is done, one will find a number of quotations from the book of Leviticus in Hebrews.
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by Goshen360(m): 6:30pm On Dec 07, 2012
^^^ Thank you my brother. We argued the author so well in the past on this thread. I have come to agree and conclude that the author will always be a debate and we can never agree on who the author is. However, the book is deep and the exposition great. If many believers can study this book, they will certainly be delivered from mixing old and new testament together, they will focus on Jesus - The Author and Finisher of our Faith!
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by plappville(f): 9:31pm On Dec 07, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^ I believe Apostle Paul wrote the book with many proves from the book. The change in style of writing is to capture the heart of the Jewish believers in order to let them know God is done away with Judaism. Let me try find the thread I did and pull some hints for you. I'll be right back.

Well, The two chapters i posted hardly surports PAUL´s usual manner of writting. Paul`s epistles, are usually personal letters to churches and individuals. But Hebrews is written to an entire group people, given a different occassion, anyway, this may surport your suggestion on the writing style as a way of capturing them. . But i would like you to Take a deep look at these scriptures again.

heb 2:6 But ★One has testified somewhere★ saying, WHAT IS MAN:.......

Heb 4:4 For ★He has said somewhere★ concerning the sabbath day; AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY.....

Can you envision PAUL a trained pharisee and scholar for that matter, referring to « what is written» *as one has testified somewhere* ?
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by plappville(f): 9:38pm On Dec 07, 2012
RanchOwner:

The letter to the Hebrews is one of the books of the bible which is difficult to ascertain who wrote it, but the receivers is well-known, the Hebrews or Jews.
Various names like Paul, Peter, even James the half brother of Jesus have been suggested as authors.
However what is known about the book, is that it was written to Jews in the diaspora (those Jews who are now converted and not living in Jerusalem). These Jews still practised the old Jewish customs in their various synagogues across the Roman empire.
The author's intention is to take the Hebrews through the old testament book of Leviticus about priesthood and how they now have a better priesthood in Jesus Christ. Showing them to discard their old customs and traditions and take up a more better option.
If thorough study is done, one will find a number of quotations from the book of Leviticus in Hebrews.

You are on point bro..thanks for contributing! So how will you associate the two verses i posted with PAUL`s usual writting?
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by plappville(f): 9:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^ Thank you my brother. We argued the author so well in the past on this thread. I have come to agree and conclude that the author will always be a debate and we can never agree on who the author is. However, the book is deep and the exposition great. If many believers can study this book, they will certainly be delivered from mixing old and new testament together, they will focus on Jesus - The Author and Finisher of our Faith!

AGREED. i will go through ur thread. I hope it contains same issue as this very one.

MERCI MON FRERE DE NL grin
Re: The Book Of Hebrews, Your Views Please.... by plappville(f): 1:13am On Dec 12, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^ Thank you my brother. We argued the author so well in the past on this thread. I have come to agree and conclude that the author will always be a debate and we can never agree on who the author is. However, the book is deep and the exposition great. If many believers can study this book, they will certainly be delivered from mixing old and new testament together, they will focus on Jesus - The Author and Finisher of our Faith!

I have gone through the THREAD. The arguement is still unstable, some argue Timothy, others Apollos. The truth remains.
The actual author is unknown. So, i don't really mind who penned it down i'm just glad they did as long as the words are from God.

I created this thread out of curiousity due to some chapters that are not Paul-like.
The act of or should i say there was inability to recall/referred back to the OT for refferance as seen in heb 2:6 and Heb 4:4.
And the book begins without Salutation.

(1) (Reply)

Mission To De-god-ify Us / Winners Chapel New York Under Investigationfor Forgery, Identity Theft / The Burden Of Hatred

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.