Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,033 members, 7,803,472 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Patch Of Black - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Patch Of Black (10290 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patch Of Black by purpinkx(m): 11:37pm On Jan 19, 2013
Mehn ... I thought u died
Re: Patch Of Black by avicky(f): 8:18am On Jan 20, 2013
Oahray: Sorry for the break guys... Wrapping this up soon.
When? Next year?
I dey wait sha.
Re: Patch Of Black by Ollyfad(f): 2:38pm On Jan 22, 2013
Walks in2 thread sees it ful of web,maks a u turn quitely
Re: Patch Of Black by Ollyfad(f): 6:04pm On Jan 24, 2013
guy abeg kum update na
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 4:51pm On Jan 26, 2013
Lol... Sorry guys...

Oahray: After we had all entered, the gates were closed again. I looked around, Lanky was no where in sight. A sigh of relief escaped my lips.

One thick voice began a sermon on how student ought to come early to school. I did not recognize the owner. I did not recognize anyone else there, except two of my classmates and one boy in a higher class who lived some houses away from ours.

I studied Thick Voice carefully. He was short and thickset with a permanent scowl etched across his dark face. As he talked his thick lips regularly parted to reveal a not-so-white set of teeth and a gap at the front of the upper jaw, where a tooth used to be. Something about him reminded me of the motor park touts who pulled at mama's bag or hands in an attempt to convince her and us, her clueless followers to get into the bus they wanted. They scared me everytime.
I shook my head to get rid of the thoughts.
"You!" Thick Voice barked.
It startled me back to reality. Everyone seemed to be looking at me.

Confused, I looked at the speaker. He was looking at me with piercing eyes I had not previously noticed.
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 4:53pm On Jan 26, 2013
Confused, I looked at the speaker. He was looking at me with piercing eyes I had not previously noticed.

I looked back to see if the doomed culprit was behind me. The many eyes drilling holes on me with stares did not look back with me.

"Yes I am talking to you, come here"

On shaky legs, I walked up to him.

"So it is not okay with you abi? Alright, the rest of you can go"

Like the Israelites leaving Egypt, the others hurried off, leaving me behind. I faced the school gate, wondering what I had done.

"Nosa, wetin e do?" someone asked. I looked over my shoulder to find Lanky walking towards us. The other prefects had left too. It was just the three of us remaining.

"Jude no mind this ragga muffin" Thick voice replied. "I tell them say today na day of grace, so we no go punish them but say make dem come early next time. When I come ask is it clear, this yeye fresher come shake e head"

"hahaha..." Jude errupted in sadistic laughter. "Nosa, na the same fresher wey disobey me this morning when I ask make e carry my bag. The mumu come run comot like say no be the same school we dey."
Jude laughed some more and gave me the 'have-I-not-caught-you-now' look. I looked down as a bit of my life flashed before my eyes. It was a foolish idea to run away. Now I knew. I had not found my maths notebook, yet I managed to put myself into some more trouble.

"What is your name" asked as he moved his lanky frame towards me.

"Ojie... Ojie Usifo" came my timid reply.

"Na Ishan sef, e clear. So na here you wan do your strong head abi? I go show you say Esanigbedo" Nosa ranted.

I had heard of that phrase before. Papa told me that 'Esanigbedo' was used by Binis with an air of superiority to say they cannot be beaten by the Esans. He said there was a sort of unspoken enmity between both tribes. Osaze was Bini and one of my best friends, so it never made any sense to me, until now.

"Wetin we go do this boy?" Jude asked, deriving pleasure from the tribalistic antagonism.

"Do you know how to pick pin?" Nosa asked me.

I gulped. I had heard tales of punishment such as this, but had never experienced any.

"Since e dey form big boy, make e sit down for executive chair na, while we his boys go stand" Jude offered, with a big grin.

"Oya look at me" Nosa said as he demonstrated, stretching both arms forward and bending his knees at right angles. It looked like he was sitting on the air.

"Oya do it, sharp sharp" he commanded as he straightened up. I obeyed. Ten minutes later, my knees and shoulders had started to hurt. My arms quaked. My captors looked on with relish, discussing how arrogant some freshers could be and how they should be put in their place.

"What are you doing there?"
It was a teacher. He had seen us from afar and came to investigate.

"This boy disobeyed us and even insulted me" Jude answered.

"Its a lie, I didn't insult him" I cut in defensively.

"Shut up" The teacher barked, "how dare you say your senior is lying? Stand up and apologise to them"

It sounded unfair to me. They lied and I had to apologise? I muttered an apology.

"Now run to your class" the teacher ordered. Again I obeyed, grateful for the salvation, hurrying off on achy feet.

Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 1:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
"If you did not do your assignment, come outside!" Mr Osahon barked.

The much dreaded moment had arrived. I was not bold enough remain on my seat as I would incur his wrath when I failed to produce my note on his routine seat-to-seat check. I got up as did Ugo and most of the class and walked to one side of our blackboard.

My feet still ached from the humiliation by the prefects, but it was nothing compared to what was to follow. Mr Osahon was not one to be joked with. He never failed to punish defaulters. I had never failed to do my assignment before. It was not as if I refused to do it, I just could not find my note. I wished he would understand.

It soon was my turn to hold on to the front desk at the middle and surrender my backside to his lashes. Tears filled my eyes quickly.

"Ojie, you? Why did you not do your assignment?" he asked. He had not expected to see me there.

"I did it sir, but I could not find my note this morning" I could barely hear my quaky voice.

"Oh, you did not even bring your note" he sounded like a mother on catching her son with his hand in her pot of soup.

"Did you look for your food this morning? he quized. I shook my head. "So why is your note different? I will still flog you, next time you will remember to bring your note. Hold the desk"

Three agonizing lashes later, I was on my way to my seat, teary eyes with my backside on fire. Thus dawned the realization that it is an unfair world, and I was just getting started.

At the end of school that day, Jude and Nosa bullied me some more, telling me how fortunate I was that it was not a boarding school.

That evening, looking up at me with eyes beaming with innocence, Ehi handed me my missing note. She had seen it in her bag at school.

My temper rose and quickly fell. I could not stay mad at her. It was the world I had a problem with. A world I was beginning to see for what it was. A world that cared not what lay on the other side of my coin.

Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 2:45pm On Jan 27, 2013

In our home, sunday was special. Mama made it so. The rice too. It was one of the few days of the week when we ate rice throughout. I loved it. Mama never failed to remind us how we should keep the Sabbath holy and worship thy Lord our God. Our church was not far from our home, it took us about five minutes to walk to church every sunday.

Papa was not so enthusiastic about church and I could not understand why. He hardly ever missed it anyway, partly because of mama. Once when he missed church, mama went on and on about it. It was the only time I had ever seen them have a misunderstanding.

It was a special sunday as mama called it, harvest day. She had prepared for this. She said it was an time to give to God what belonged to him. So we set out to church that Sunday with with tubers of yam, some rice, a big cock, some unripe plantain and bananas. Those big, ripe bananas... She had warned us the previous day it was not for us, we were not to touch what belonged to the Lord or face his anger. Of course that was enough to make us avoid touching it, though we still stole hungry glances at it.

While I carried the bananas, Mama put the other items on her wheelbarrow and pushed along with the rest of us. Papa walked on at the rear.

Then I saw her, a woman approaching us carrying a little child. They both looked hungry and unkept, the little girl looked sick. The woman begged mama for something. I was not sure what it was. Mama ignored her and pushed on to the house of the Lord. She moved on to Papa and almost kneeling she repeated what she had told mama. He told her to get up and called on mama to stop.

"What can we give her among these things?" Papa asked in esan.

"Which things? We cannot give the Lord's things to others" she replied.

Papa shook his head and called me to come. I obeyed. He took the bananas from me and gave it to the stranger and added some money directing her to a nearby drug store. Wiping her eyes with the edge of her wrapper, she thanked papa and mama and asked God to bless us.

I could see the displeasure in mama's eyes as the woman walked away. She looked at papa. He understood.

"She needed it" Papa said without waiting for mama to ask.

"That banana was for our harvest" Mama protested, "you even added money you wanted to give as offering"
she was far from pleased.

"So it is better to give to a pastor that has surplus already than give someone that needs it?" Papa was beginning to get irritated.

"The Bible says we should give to God what belongs to God. If it is for God are we to help him decide what to do with it? We are not giving it to the pastor, but to God." mama said passionately. She sounded right and I believed her. Still I wondered why we brought food for God.

Papa said nothing. Mama continued.

"The Bible says I have never seen anyone righteous begging. Maybe she has been robbing God of his tithe, how will he bless her? Should we rob God to encourage begging? Does she not have a husband? We have to explain to Pastor Osas so he can pray for us incase..."

"Rubbish!" Papa bellowed, cutting in. "I'm going back!"

With that, he turned and started walking back home. Mama called after him, it was useless.

When he left, mama told us it was the work of the devil trying to make us offend God, that we should pray for papa.

That evening after supper, papa and mama argued some more. He had given a stranger what belonged to God and even missed church. God would be upset with him. I was afraid for papa.

That night, I was glad there was light. I shuddered to imagine the devil in our room watching and trying to make us offend God. With eyes opened out of fear, I obeyed mama and prayed for God's mercy upon papa.

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by armadeo(m): 6:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
firestar: [size=18pt]I love your torrent. Its waves are calming. [/size]

My opinion exactly. Beautifully done, nice pace, realistic and captivating @ the same time. Kudos to you
Re: Patch Of Black by Bluesparkles(f): 7:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
This part on religious fanatics rings several childhood bells in my head. I love how easily you write through the eyes of a child. I love kids. Beautiful piece!
Re: Patch Of Black by UjSizzle(f): 8:32pm On Jan 27, 2013
I'm speechless Ray *kisses his cheek* thank you smiley.
You made me read with a child's eyes, took me back..way back.
Your story's made me laugh, cry, hold my breath, sad and expectant all at once. You have a gift, and make writing look really easy. Great work, looking forward to your updates.

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 9:46pm On Jan 27, 2013
armadeo:
My opinion exactly. Beautifully done, nice pace, realistic and captivating @ the same time. Kudos to you
thanks bro... Almost stopped writing, its thanks to you guys and your encouraging comments I continued.

Bluesparkles: This part on religious fanatics rings several childhood bells in my head. I love how easily you write through the eyes of a child. I love kids. Beautiful piece!
Now I am flattered grin Em... About the kids, I could help you have yours.

#Offer valid while stock lasts. grin
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 9:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
uj_sizzle: I'm speechless Ray *kisses his cheek* thank you smiley.
You made me read with a child's eyes, took me back..way back.
Your story's made me laugh, cry, hold my breath, sad and expectant all at once. You have a gift, and make writing look really easy. Great work, looking forward to your updates.
*blushing in a million places* Thanks Obianuju... Thanks for your presence, and the thanks.
Re: Patch Of Black by oyestephen(m): 10:58pm On Jan 27, 2013
Bro...nice work...but come and continue this wonderful work...
Re: Patch Of Black by Tovot: 8:07am On Jan 28, 2013
i finally opened this story,altho i havnt seen reason for its title...yet,pls continue ,u've made me comment on this one coz its a nice one,now finish it!
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 4:46pm On Feb 02, 2013
Spurred on by the boredom of a hot Tuesday afternoon, I watched on... Perched atop my bed, it was my only source of fun. Watching the trail of ants that marked the landscape of my wall. I had fallen sick and mama insisted I stayed at home. Ok, she did not have to insist, I wasn't keen at going to school anyway. The two bullies were still on my neck, harrassing me at any opportunity. Of course I was too scared to tell anyone.

Back to the ants. They were orderly, unlike me. That afternoon, they had something doing. I didnt. I could feel the familiar feeling of jealousy fast taking over. They couldn't be better than me.
I was the human and they the ants. How come they dared to be busy while I wasn't?

I felt it stirring deep within me...
Envy was the name.
Green the colour.
Nine out of ten on the scale of jealousy.
The order just had to end. I was the human, and they the ants.

So out of d blue a hand struck. A hand like mine. Coated with jealousy, the hand was mine. An ant was soon by the abdomen stuck. Panic-stricken, the orderliness was quickly broken. The trail momentarily disrupted... My ego pacified. I was in charge.
An unseen force...
The human.

They were just ants. Mere ants that didnt know better than to quickly regroup. The trail born anew. Order re-established. They cared not about the unseen force. Life went on. I was the human, but not as powerful as I thought.

They were ants, tiny and crushable, but they cared not about the human.

Feeling defeated, I watched on,
as the ants laboured tirelessly, worked silently with a trail as perfect as it was orderly. It reminded me of the way people would queue up, dancing towards the alter to pay offering at church. The way we had to march to our class every morning after assembly.

I watched them work, tirelessly like they had no choice... until an ant broke free!

With satisfaction I watched it wander farther from the trail... To freedom.

I could almost hear it heave a sigh of relief. Free to do as it wished. Far from the shackles of restrictive rules. I immediately liked it... My ant. I liked to believe it had my black patch on its belly, given to it by God.

With a bond of affection quickly forged, I bade my friend a safe adventure. Far from the trail of ants that did not notice its absence.
No one knew...
No one cared...
It was just another ant...

But I felt what it felt. We were not so different after all. I was the human, but that solitary ant was like me in a way. We both dared to be different at times, we questioned the rules when we did it made no sense to us.

My gaze followed my ant friend as it strayed further from the others. From a hiding place I hadnt noticed, came danger. Danger in a gecko's form. A quick swipe of its tongue and my ant was gone.
Forever lost. The gecko disappeared as swiftly as it had appeared. Gone with it was my ant... That ant that won my heart.

Farther away, the trail continued.

No ant knew what transpired. None cared. It was just another ant. I felt disgust rising. They were ants, but no different from selfish and insensitive humans. I thought of the people who had me beaten on many occassions. No not Papa, he beat me only when I went wrong. It was a parent's duty to beat their children. Not my teachers, it was the way the school ought to be. A trail of rules and punishment, no matter how undeserved.
I remembered the people who turned a blind eye to another in need. No not mama. She only did not give an unrighteous stranger what belonged to the Lord. That was the way it had to be.

The ants were the same as us, and my late ant, same as me.

They were absorbed in a meaningless trail. I failed to see its importance the way the ants did. A life ought to be more important than a crazy trail, I thought.

"Crazy ants!" I muttered...

If they heard me, they did not show it. They cared not about the human watching them. The human that just wouldnt understand. They didnt expect me to. It was the way life was, who was I to question it?

They were ants and I was human with an ugly patch of black on my belly. Mama said it made me special. Well it did not. My actions did. Patches of black actions on the neat orderliness of societal rules.
The ant... The human. So different. Yet so similar.

They were ants...
I was human...

Not the human...

Just another human.

(THE END)
Re: Patch Of Black by Bluesparkles(f): 2:12am On Feb 05, 2013
Awww... I wish you didnt end it so soon. I loved every bit of it though. Its beautifully written. You deserve a bigger audience Ray. Stories like this should make front page at least once.

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 6:53am On Feb 07, 2013
Bluesparkles: Awww... I wish you didnt end it so soon. I loved every bit of it though. Its beautifully written. You deserve a bigger audience Ray. Stories like this should make front page at least once.
Thanks... Now go and update your FSS story before we vex angry
Re: Patch Of Black by ninja4life(m): 9:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
Nice story by oahray.
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 03, 2013
Nice one Oahray.I always knew there was this creative touch arround u. grin grin grin grin
Re: Patch Of Black by johnstin(m): 6:50am On Oct 03, 2013
Mesmerizing short story. Seamless and fluid writing style that deeply engages the reader. Simply advice; don't stop writing, you have a great future ahead in it.
Re: Patch Of Black by olanshile2016(m): 12:33pm On Aug 10, 2016
bro oahray,just seeing this since years back,nice one bro,but its a pity you have dropped your pen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Daddy, Where Are You?; A Short Story / One Man Mopol By Awe Samuel Olutayo / I Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.