Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,515 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Which Church Do You Attend And Why? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Church Do You Attend And Why? (12275 Views)

Which Church Program Would You Want To Attend? (Hilarious Photos) / Nairalanders What Church Do You Attend? / What Church Do You Attend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by 9japrof(m): 8:32am On Dec 10, 2012
am not here to state or discuss which church or ministry i attend cos according to the saying,, no body fit talk say e mama food no sweet.
Straiight to the point :
Bieng in the right church is the first process to attaining life, you cant be in the wrong place and expect God to give u ur enternal reward. Besides that we heard about eddy nnogu (for those living in the south east) and we heard about rev. King (for those living in lagos anddd enviirons) and plenty other places of worship where is being found oout to be worshiping satan in the guise of worshiping God, ask yourself, if Jesus was to come, what would have been their fate ?

Secondly besides church doctrines, we should take time to study the bible on our own cos a lot of the pastors are there cos of selfish interests, they extort and tax their members while amassing great wealth for themselves, weve seen it in todays world where they build business empires from proceeds made from the church, lavishing church funds in luxuries. To be honest a lot of them do not even know the truth about God

Churches that condone wrong doing could not be said to be frrom God. Many times we have heard church leaders who are gay, child molesters, who are still left unpunished,, the worse they done is to transfer them to continue their undoings.

The truth is that if we assume that cos we are born into a particular faith as yardstick that we are on the right one, who knows we might actually be wrong, what we should do is to study the bible, doing so without sentiments, honestly praying to God to help u out, u can then make the choice

I wish all of us the best
Cheeers

1 Like

Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by aduje(m): 9:45am On Dec 10, 2012
[quote author=teebiz]The reasons why i am a Jehovah's witness:

“Every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit.”—MATT. 7:17.
JESUS said that those falsely professing to serve him would be distinguished from his true followers by their fruits—their teachings and their conduct. (Matt. 7:15-17, 20) Indeed, people are inevitably influenced by what they take into their mind and heart. (Matt. 15:18, 19) Those who are fed falsehoods produce “worthless fruit,” whereas those who are taught spiritual truth produce “fine fruit.”
2 The two kinds of fruits have become clearly manifest during this time of the end. (Read Daniel 12:3, 10.) False Christians have a distorted view of God and often a hypocritical form of godly devotion, whereas those having spiritual insight worship God “with spirit and truth.” (John 4:24; 2 Tim. 3:1-5) They strive to display Christlike qualities. But what about us personally? As you consider the following five identifying marks of true Christianity, ask yourself: ‘Do my conduct and teachings clearly harmonize with God’s Word? Do I beautify the truth in the eyes of those searching for it?’
Live by God’s Word
3 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens,” said Jesus, “but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.” (Matt. 7:21) Yes, it is not the professing of Christianity that pleases Jehovah but the practicing of it. For Christ’s true followers, that involves their whole way of life, including their attitude toward money, secular work, entertainment, worldly customs and celebrations, and marriage and other relationships with fellow humans. False Christians, however, adopt the thinking and ways of the world, which have become increasingly ungodly during these last days.—Ps. 92:7.
4 Accordingly, the prophet Malachi wrote: “You people will again certainly see the distinction between a righteous one and a wicked one, between one serving God and one who has not served him.” (Mal. 3:18) As you reflect on those words, ask yourself: ‘Do I blend in with the world, or do I stand out as different? Do I always strive to fit in with my secular associates, whether at school or at work, or do I remain firm for Bible principles, even speaking up when appropriate?’ (Read 1 Peter 3:16.) Of course, we do not want to appear self-righteous, but we should stand out as different from those who do not love and serve Jehovah.
5 If you see room for improvement, why not pray about the matter and seek spiritual strength through regular Bible study, prayer, and meeting attendance? The more God’s Word becomes a part of you, the more you will produce “fine fruit,” including “the fruit of lips which make public declaration to [God’s] name.”—Heb. 13:15.
Advocate God’s Kingdom
6 Jesus said: “To other cities I must declare the good news of the kingdom of God, because for this I was sent forth.” (Luke 4:43) Why did Jesus make God’s Kingdom the main theme of his ministry? He knew that he himself as King of that Kingdom, along with his resurrected spirit-begotten brothers, would deal with the root causes of mankind’s woes—sin and the Devil. (Rom. 5:12; Rev. 20:10) Hence, he commanded his followers to proclaim that Kingdom until the end of the present system of things. (Matt. 24:14) People who merely profess to be followers of Christ do not engage in this work—in fact, they cannot. Why? For at least three reasons: First, they cannot preach what they do not understand. Second, most of them lack the humility and courage needed to face the ridicule and opposition that may result from sharing the Kingdom message with their neighbors. (Matt. 24:9; 1 Pet. 2:23) And third, false Christians do not have God’s spirit.—John 14:16, 17.
7 Christ’s true followers, on the other hand, understand what God’s Kingdom is and what it will accomplish. Moreover, they give the interests of that Kingdom priority in life, proclaiming it worldwide, with the help of Jehovah’s spirit. (Zech. 4:6) Are you having a regular share in this work? Are you trying to improve as a Kingdom proclaimer, perhaps by spending more time in the ministry or by being more effective in it? Some have tried to improve the quality of their ministry by making better use of the Bible. “The word of God is alive and exerts power,” wrote the apostle Paul, who made it his custom to reason from the Scriptures.—Heb. 4:12; Acts 17:2, 3.
8 When in the door-to-door work, a brother read Daniel 2:44 to a Catholic man and explained how God’s Kingdom will bring about true peace and security. The man responded: “I really appreciate your opening the Bible and showing me what the scripture said instead of just telling me.” When a brother read a scripture to a Greek Orthodox woman, she asked a number of good questions. In this case too, the brother, along with his wife, answered from the Bible. Later, the woman said: “Do you know why I was willing to talk with you? You came to my door with the Bible, and you read from it.”
9 Of course, our literature is important and should be offered in the field. The Bible, however, is our primary tool. So if it has not been your custom to use it regularly in your ministry, why not make it your goal to do so? Perhaps you could select a few key texts that explain what God’s Kingdom is and how it will solve specific problems that concern people in your neighborhood. Then be prepared to read them as you preach from door to door.
Proudly Bear God’s Name
10 “‘You are my witnesses,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘and I am God.’” (Isa. 43:12) Jehovah’s preeminent Witness, Jesus Christ, considered it an honor to bear God’s name and to make it known. (Read Exodus 3:15; John 17:6; Hebrews 2:12.) In fact, because Jesus proclaimed his Father’s name, he was called “the Faithful Witness.”—Rev. 1:5; Matt. 6:9.
11 In contrast,

Haba, this is two much na; did you study History or Literature? We expected not more than two sentence answers to the question i.e. the name of your church and your reason for the choice of that church...not epistle for publication. Meanwhile, I thought I they say Jehovah Witness is not a Church? am curios anyways. tongue shocked
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by jaydude(f): 9:55am On Dec 10, 2012
.bbpreye:

I think ur literally too stu.pid to insult!
MAD WOMAN VO.MIT!!!

LMAO...G.arri Bar.baria/n...hahaaa...so u are scared of ban,y did u use exclamation marks inbetween d words u used to insult ur kuli kuli head? I tot u were Seuns brother naw...m.oroN
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by jaydude(f): 9:56am On Dec 10, 2012
.bbpreye:

I think ur literally too stu.pid to insult!
MAD WOMAN VO.MIT!!!

LMAO...G.arri Bar.baria/n...hahaaa...so u are scared of ban,y did u use exclamation marks in between d words u used to insult ur kuli kuli head? I tot u were Seuns brother...m.oroN...V.omit on ur m,ad head!
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by AtheistD(m): 10:09am On Dec 10, 2012
9japrof: am not here to state or discuss which church or ministry i attend cos according to the saying,, no body fit talk say e mama food no sweet.
Straiight to the point :
Bieng in the right church is the first process to attaining life, you cant be in the wrong place and expect God to give u ur enternal reward. Besides that we heard about eddy nnogu (for those living in the south east) and we heard about rev. King (for those living in lagos anddd enviirons) and plenty other places of worship where is being found oout to be worshiping satan in the guise of worshiping God, ask yourself, if Jesus was to come, what would have been their fate ?

Secondly besides church doctrines, we should take time to study the bible on our own cos a lot of the pastors are there cos of selfish interests, they extort and tax their members while amassing great wealth for themselves, weve seen it in todays world where they build business empires from proceeds made from the church, lavishing church funds in luxuries. To be honest a lot of them do not even know the truth about God

Churches that condone wrong doing could not be said to be frrom God. Many times we have heard church leaders who are gay, child molesters, who are still left unpunished,, the worse they done is to transfer them to continue their undoings.

The truth is that if we assume that cos we are born into a particular faith as yardstick that we are on the right one, who knows we might actually be wrong, what we should do is to study the bible, doing so without sentiments, honestly praying to God to help u out, u can then make the choice

Cheeers

So whichchurch is right and which is wrong... according ti your detailed analysis? Or rather, if I were to be a new convert which church would you recommend and why?
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by AtheistD(m): 10:09am On Dec 10, 2012
9japrof: am not here to state or discuss which church or ministry i attend cos according to the saying,, no body fit talk say e mama food no sweet.
Straiight to the point :

Cheeers

So whichchurch is right and which is wrong... according ti your detailed analysis? Or rather, if I were to be a new convert which church would you recommend and why?
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by tottyj(m): 11:22am On Dec 10, 2012
I attend Seventh-day Adventist Church.
This is because I was born there and later discovered it to be a church that teaches and upholds bible truth.
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by UjSizzle(f): 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2012
Anglican church.

I'm not sure what to say to the other half of your question.

I attend anglican church cause i was born into it, but I've also been to a good number of churches before.

I attend church cause i feel the happiest in the house of God, cos i learn something new that'll help in the comin week, cos i get to dance away my troubles, and because I'm always at peace in church away from the troubles of the world.
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by 9japrof(m): 2:56pm On Dec 10, 2012
Atheist:-D:

To be honest i wouldnt be the one to make the decision for u,, buh take time to analyse the above mentioned, and if ur honest God will do it for u
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by ojoko1(m): 5:00pm On Dec 10, 2012
KINGDOM KINGS CHURCH INT. Cos they preach d true gospel bout the end time.KINGDOM KINGS CHURCH INT. Cos they preach d true gospel bout the end time.KINGDOM KINGS CHURCH INT. Cos they preach d true gospel bout the end time.
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by StarblackM: 5:04pm On Dec 10, 2012
[quote author=totty j.]I attend Seventh-day Adventist Church.
This is because I was born there and later discovered it to be a church that teaches and upholds bible truth.

Nice one that is my church too... I am glad to be an ADVENTIST.
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by simdam500(m): 5:39pm On Dec 10, 2012
The CCC. Genesis model international.

Because: we speak d truth, preach realities and real prophecies are been told
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by Dovy: 5:58pm On Dec 10, 2012
I attends Apostolic Faith Church is because of their orchestra music ,sound doctrine,undiluted and burning message
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by unongu(m): 8:53am On Dec 11, 2012
I attend the Catholic Church for so many reasons, but I will mention just three;1. I the Church is called Catholic on the ground of its worldwide extension, its doctrinal completeness, its adaptation to the needs of men of every kind, and its moral and spiritual perfection (St. Cyril)... 2. The Catholic Church celebrates the sacraments and worship the LORD essentially the same way since the time of Christ... 3. Catholic Church was founded by Christ himself (Matt 12:30, 16:18-19) and was later moved to Rome by Apostle Peter after he fled Jerusalem during the persecution of Christians. Note that Apostle Peter is the First Leader/Head of CHRISTIANS, otherwise known as POPE. From the time of Apostle Peter till date, there have been 256 Popes in direct succession to him. The position of Pope was established by Christ and the office has been maintained in an Apostolic manner since the time of Christ.

Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by jiffylibra: 8:37pm On Dec 11, 2012
try69: I now understand

The History Of The Watchtower Reveals the Sources of Mental Problems

Jehovah's Witnesses were organized in the late 1800's by Charles Taze Russell, a second Adventist disappointed in the failed prophecies of his fellow religionists. He soon reinterpreted these prophesies and set his own new dates. He first taught the time of the end started in 1798 (latter changed to 1799), that Christ had returned invisibly in 1878 (latter changed to 1874), and that a new world wherein the righteous would dwell forever on a paradise Earth would begin in 1914.[1] With his father's fortune, Russell preached tirelessly, yet when he died only a small band of followers existed as a result of all his efforts.

The second president, a lawyer named Rutherford, used his law background to create one confrontation after another with the state and almost everyone else including business, medicine and even religion. Soon Jehovah's Witnesses became infamous throughout the world for their legal clashes which often involved violence.[2] A fighter with no small legal skills, Rutherford recruited several other attorneys and the Watchtower soon had themselves positioned as martyrs. The small band of devoted--some would say fanatical--followers, they achieved something that no amount of money could buy: name recognition, and, at least in the legal profession, an admiration for their legal success and tenacity.

The third president, N.H. Knorr, ruled from the 1950s to the 1970s. He toned down their behavior and worked tirelessly to modify their public image from fanatics to quiet, determined Christians fearlessly going about their work preaching the good news of the Watchtower's kingdom. Pushing numerical growth to the exclusion of almost everything else including the health of individual Witnesses, his policies paid off. Except for the 1975 fiasco, growth has usually been steady. 1975 was their third recent major prediction for Armageddon, the other two were 1914 and 1925 which caused upward of one million people to eventually leave the sect.[3] They have carefully cultivated a public image of a God fearing devoted people, determined to ferret out God's truth from the scriptures and live their lives fully according to them. Behind this facade lies a nightmare which resulted in a rash of mental illness and social problems considerably higher than that found in virtually every American religion. The reasons for the Watchtower tragedy are complex and can only briefly be explored in this short review.

The Scientific Research

Especially since the 1975 date (which was predicted to usher in God's kingdom on earth) failed, the numerous problems in the Watchtower congregations have received much mass media and scholarly attention. Most intensively studied problems include disfellowshipping, doctrinal disputes, and their recurring prophetic speculation failures. [4] Witness mental health issues have also been examined by many investigators.[5]

The writer, as a former Witness for over twenty years, was extensively involved in various administrative levels of the organization. This gave him first hand access to information relating to most social and bureaucratic aspects of the Watchtower. He has also used his decade of extensive clinical experience with Witnesses and an extensive literature review as a basis for his evaluation. Outsiders have limited access to inside information, and for this reason are forced to rely on official publications, all of which are viewed by Witnesses as quasi-inspired.[6] The literature reveals eight academic studies which explored the problem of Witness mental illness. These will be briefly reviewed by year, the oldest first.

The Rylander Study

Swedish psychiatrist Dr. Rylander investigated a sample of conscientious objectors imprisoned in Sweden. Of the 135 randomly selected cases, fully 126 were Witnesses. Of these 126, Rylander diagnosed 51 as neurotic, 42 psychotic, 32 as mentally retarded, and 5 as brain-damaged (some overlap exists because some cases were in two or more categories).[7] Diagnosis was made solely on the basis of behavior that was clearly pathological, such as irrational paranoia or severe long term depression, and not behavior that resulted from following Watchtower doctrine as non-social involvement with the non-Witnesses. Rylander also concluded from the subjects' medical records and his interviews that their pathological state was not uncommonly evident before conversion, but that the Watchtower's' influence was often detrimental to mental health, sometimes severely so.

About four percent of the eligible armed service Swedish population were judged psychologically "unfit" for military services. The corresponding figure for Witnesses was twenty-one percent, or a rate five times greater. This was very close to the same ratio found by Spencer [8] whose diagnosis of "psychotic" or "neurotic" was made on the basis of mental hospital admission screening. Few of the cases in Rylander's study were marginal Witnesses, and most were actively involved in the Watchtower. Rylander concluded that many of those he studied lacked an education, job skills, emotional stability, and quality social relations. Unsatisfactory employment records often existed because of psychological deficiencies, lack of ability or immaturity. Rylander found that Witnesses committed "...a relatively large number of small crimes and other misdemeanors which generally resulted only in a fine...three [Witnesses] have been imprisoned for stealing or harboring of stolen property, and 36 have been fined for various offenses (traffic violations, drunkenness, unlawful selling of alcohol, poaching, unlawful entering, etc.)" [9]

Neurotic symptoms commonly found in his sample included "feelings of discomfort, general anxiety, poor sleep habits, times of brooding over what they see as the meaninglessness of life, the wrongs they have suffered and the mistakes they have made." [10] Rylander noted that the Watchtower doctrine helped some adherents to explain "all of their problems in life, and has given them a satisfaction and calmness which has brought a measure of stability to their lives." [11]

He also concluded that individual Witnesses tended to be burdened with a variety of serious concerns and often joined the sect in an effort to solve their many problems. Although the results of this study are not fully applicable to today's situation, many of his conclusions are still largely true. [12] A major difference between his sample and today is that the Witnesses are now more middle-class and less socially rejected. Many Witnesses, though, especially those living in developing nations, still experience many of the same problems that Rylander reported.

Some people are blaming the guy for not answering a simple question and for copy and paste. In what way are you different from him?
Re: Which Church Do You Attend And Why? by Obinoscopy(m): 8:31am On Dec 18, 2012
Born a Catholic; will die a Catholic

Why? Because its the only church whose origin can be traced back to when Jesus instituted the church in the New Testament

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help Contact Dr Olukoya Of Mfm / Generational Curses: The Myths And The Truth According To The Bible / Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.