Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,963 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:27 AM

Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue (3385 Views)

See Damages Of A Car Caused By A Heavy Wind In Trans-ekulu Enugu State / Issues With My '98 VW Golf III Auto trans / Honda Accord 99 Or Kia Rio 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by millomaniac: 7:26pm On Dec 09, 2012
hello sienna, a wonderful thing you are doing here, really hope to meet you in person, please have you got any idea of what might cause the thump i hear anytime my 99 accord shifts into second gear(auto). even when the car is stationary and i shift straight into D2 i hear a thump like a sec after. Thanks anticipating a response.
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2012
Sounds like your transmission is having delayed engagement. Or your idle speed could be too high.

When you shift into drive, does the car move immediately? Or is there a delay before drive is taken up? If the shifts are delayed, it could be as a result of low ATF level, or the ATF itself may be dirty.
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by millomaniac: 7:32am On Dec 10, 2012
when i shift into drive there is like a sec delay but no noise but when i accelerate i hear a thump when the gear shifts to 2. same thing happens when i decelerate i hear the thump again when the gear comes down to 2.
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by 18wheeler: 10:58am On Dec 10, 2012
I have noticed the same thing with my 99 accord ex. Theres a clunk anytime I shift to reverse gear and also when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, like a gap in the gears. I'm seeing the mech. asap before it worsens since the oil is due for change.
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by kamikazee0(m): 7:03pm On Dec 10, 2012
I came here this evening to investigate same matter for my 2003 BMW X5 (4.4i). Could it be the same issue? Mine moves imediately i engage drive but after driving a while esp. In traffic, it begins to have difficulty shifting from one gear to another the feeling is like stretched hic ups or gasps if i might say. And then you hear the thump as d gear shifts. Today, i was stuck in a 2 hr traffic and towards the end of it the car was almost not driveable (car won't move, feeling was like the maf was bad, car won't rev). I had to roll off the road, shut down and then restart (didn't help much though but the gear shifted a bit and also reved) i'm thinking low ATF also but your expert opinion is highly appreciated. (What do i do?)
Thanks
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by BE811APP: 10:44pm On Dec 10, 2012
I have d same type of car.....
D solution to all dis is a new gear Box....
I changed mine 4 60k.... Tho V6 goes 4 110k
Any repairs on it wunt last a week.....so get a new one...
Most Accords btwn 1998-2005 have gear issues...
Cheers!
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by marleygab(m): 4:45pm On Dec 11, 2012
Who else
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by millomaniac: 6:12pm On Dec 11, 2012
Changed the ATF as siena advised but i can still hear that thump. I dont think its the gear box, i've read about people that changed the gearbox and the problem still persisted. Please can the experts input something. Siena is there something else i can check, wouldn't want to waste cash getting a new v6 gear box, unless i'm sure.
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by 18wheeler: 4:58pm On Dec 16, 2012
Let a good mechanic run a scan on the car, you'll see where the problem lies. Could even be an electrical problem and not mechanical
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by seechris(m): 8:05pm On Dec 17, 2012
Hello people, please can someone enlighten me on this issue with my Honda accord, when ever I buy fuel the engine refuses to start, I tried leaving the engine running once but soon as the fuel started pumping in the engine just went off, have changed fuel pump, but problem is still there, mechanics are at a loss as to what to do, thanks for your assistance.
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by millomaniac: 10:57pm On Dec 17, 2012
18wheeler: Let a good mechanic run a scan on the car, you'll see where the problem lies. Could even be an electrical problem and not mechanical

Thanks will do ASAP
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by sooperrescue(m): 7:39am On Dec 22, 2012
What ATF oil did you put in the Honda? Dexron 111 or ATFZ1? Anything will not work
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by 18wheeler: 9:02am On Dec 22, 2012
Dexron III is the recommended atf grade by my car manual. I unknowingly used oando atf my last oil change which is dexron II. I'm yet to do oil change because I'm waiting for my mech to get the req'd type (dexron III). Been hard to get here in jos.
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by sooperrescue(m): 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2012
Send us a mail. We can send it to you from Abuja. nigeriaarc@yahoo.com
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by BE811APP: 8:30pm On Dec 26, 2012
millomaniac: Changed the ATF as siena advised but i can still hear that thump. I dont think its the gear box, i've read about people that changed the gearbox and the problem still persisted. Please can the experts input something. Siena is there something else i can check, wouldn't want to waste cash getting a new v6 gear box, unless i'm sure.
u will have to get a new gear bix period!!!!
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by blackracle(m): 10:07pm On Dec 26, 2012
Check the Gear mounting and engine seating if symptoms persist.

My 2 cents
Re: Honda Accord '99 auto trans issue by abdulkadir(m): 10:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
blackracle: Check the Gear mounting and engine seating if symptoms persist.

My 2 cents

thats it. with most honda accords ,98 model to 2006 d engine mounting at d rear is d initial culprit of tranny issues. if ur mountings are bad even if u change d box the thrump will persist. so my bros with d thrumping issues in honda check ur engine mounts.

(1) (Reply)

SOLD Honda Accord 2007 SOLD / Toyota Highlander SUV / Honda Accord In Perfect Condition At A Very Affordable Price.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.