Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo (1938 Views)

Buhari Is A Wrong Choice As Nigerian Leader - Ayo Adebanjo / The Mistake Tinubu Made In The APC Marriage – Adebanjo - From Vanguard / Why Afenifere Adopted Jonathan – Pa Ayo Adebanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by muystoy(m): 8:01pm On Dec 09, 2012
with ALLWELL OKPI, refutes the claims of Chinua Achebe in his recent memoir. He speaks of Nigerian politics before and after the civil war and the relationship between the Yoruba and Igbo.

Achebe’s ‘There was a country,’ accused late Chief Obafemi Awolowo of maliciously formulating policies for the extermination of Igbos during the Civil War. Do think that what Awolowo did was fair?

The question is not whether it was fair or not. We were in a battle. As it is said, all is fair in battle. But the point I think everybody is missing is the insinuation of Achebe that Chief Awolowo did what he did to exterminate the Igbo, whom he regarded as his main opponents, because he wanted to rule the country. That cannot be. When the war came, Awolowo was faced with the question of using everything to win the war and that was after he had had an interview with Ojukwu and persuaded him not to go to war but Ojukwu reneged. Would you now say that as part of the efforts to save Nigeria, he shouldn’t do anything to win the war? When they realised that the soldiers were cornering the food meant for the civilians, they said it was not right for them to be feeding their enemies. So, they stopped it. They stopped it and the war ended early in the interest of Nigeria. It’s unfair of Achebe to insinuate that that the war was conducted to eliminate the Igbo so that Awolowo could become the leader of the country. That is not consistent with history. Even before the war, in 1959, when the election was contested by the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons, the Action Group and the Northern People’s Party, Awolowo offered that he and Nnamdi Azikiwe should come together and that he preferred to serve under Azikiwe, as the Premier and he (Awolowo) as the Commissioner for Finance. He made that offer when there was no war. I want to refer to the publication of Micheal Okpara in the New Nation Magazine, where he said he regretted not supporting that move by Awolowo for a coalition between the NCNC and the Action Group. Nobody has refuted that.

Do you also think Achebe’s insinuation that Awolowo, as well as Yoruba, hated Igbo people?

We have passed the stage of Achebe trying to bring enmity between the Igbo and the Yoruba. Awolowo facilitated the return of Igbo people to the country after the war. He wrote letters to all prominent Igbo abroad, including Achebe, saying, ‘come back home everything is all right now.’ Is that the attitude of somebody who hates a race? Among those he persuaded to come was MCK Ajuluchukwu, the editor of the West African Pilot, owned by Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. Awolowo wrote to him and facilitated his return home with his wife. He paid all the expenses and also got a job for his wife at the teaching hospital. Upon that, he employed Ajuluchukwu, an Igbo man, as the Director of Research and Information in the Unity Party of Nigeria. Are these actions consistent with somebody who hates a nation in words and action? Remember that while he was serving in the National Executive Council, after the creation of states, Awolowo, as the Commissioner for Finance, kept all the allocation for the East Central State, which he gave them after the war. That has not been refuted. Is that the attitude of somebody who hates a race? So when I say Achebe is suffering from Yorubaphobia and Awolowophobia, it is because all these actions that I have stated are the consistent with some who wants to wipe out a race.

You said Awolowo’s aim was to keep Nigeria one. Is Nigeria now one nation?

Well, that’s another matter. You remember that Awolowo left the government after the war; he was not removed. He said he joined the government because he wanted to keep Nigeria one. He said, ‘the war has ended, the country is one, I have no business to be in government.’ So, what happened thereafter cannot be attributed to Chief Awolowo. It can only be attributed to his successors who did not keep to the principle and ambition of those who fought the war.

The civil war ended over 40 years ago and there has not been a Nigerian President of Igbo extraction. Some Igbo leaders attribute that to hatred for Igbo. Do you think that is true?

If you look at the facts after war, the Igbo themselves didn’t help themselves. The principle of creation of states was meant for the recognition of all ethnic nationalities; that no ethnic nationality is inferior to the other. And we were fighting that the constitution of the country should be made in such a way that everybody should have access to the top. So, when the opportunity came for us to fight for that, the Igbo didn’t support us. Immediately they were offered a juicy position by the northerners, they joined them. That was what happened after the election, instead of Azikiwe joining the UPN, he teamed up with the NPN. And these are the people you claim to have conducted a pogrom against you. Even Ojukwu himself, when he came back from exile, he joined NPN. Many people do not know that. And from my experience with Igbo people for over 60 years, there are very few Igbo that we in the West are ready to trust. Prominent Igbo, who should have joined in the fight to unite the East and the West to solve the inequality in the country, refused because they took advantage of the fact that the people in the North wooed them and gave them some inferior positions. Go put these points to the prominent Igbo, who were around at the time I’m talking about. The Igbo are their own fatal enemies. Igbo people were not massacred in the West. Even during the war, all the property of Igbo people was kept intact. But when the opportunity came for Igbo to rearrange the country, it was those who massacred them that they teamed up with. Igbo should be told that. They are their own enemies.

Nigeria seems to still have a problem of unity, with recent agitations for secession, in Ogoni and Bakassi. What do you think is the solution to this problem?

There has to be a sovereign national conference. All the ethnic nationalities must sit down and negotiate. You cannot force unity. The question of people saying that the unity of the country is not negotiable is nonsense. It shows complete ignorance. There is nothing more negotiable than the unity of this country. If we want to live together we must agree on what terms we live on. We cannot be one by mouth. If you are in a club, you have to be satisfied that there is an advantage in joining that club and you pay the price to be there. And if you are in a club, where you have benefits, you won’t want to do anything that will make you to be expelled. If we are in a country and some people say they want to get out, why? It means they are not satisfied. It means they feel cheated. Let’s sit down and discuss.

- Punch Newspapers

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by Rossikk(m): 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2012
''That was what happened after the election, instead of Azikiwe joining the UPN, he teamed up with the NPN. And these are the people you claim to have conducted a pogrom against you. Even Ojukwu himself, when he came back from exile, he joined NPN. Many people do not know that. And from my experience with Igbo people for over 60 years, there are very few Igbo that we in the West are ready to trust. Prominent Igbo, who should have joined in the fight to unite the East and the West to solve the inequality in the country, refused because they took advantage of the fact that the people in the North wooed them and gave them some inferior positions. Go put these points to the prominent Igbo, who were around at the time I’m talking about. The Igbo are their own fatal enemies. Igbo people were not massacred in the West. Even during the war, all the property of Igbo people was kept intact. But when the opportunity came for Igbo to rearrange the country, it was those who massacred them that they teamed up with. Igbo should be told that. They are their own enemies.''

A DAMNING INDICTMENT.

It's something I've always wondered about. Igbos keep harping on about how they were massacred but till today the Igbo man loves the northerner to bits. Ojukwu came back from exile and the first thing he did was join NPN, the biggest northern party of the time. Next thing you know he was pallying with Babangida and co.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by Afam4eva(m): 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2012
Rossikk:

A DAMNING INDICTMENT.

It's something I've always wondered about. Igbos keep harping on about how they were massacred but till today the Igbo man loves the northerner to bits. Ojukwu came back from exile and the first thing he did was join NPN, the biggest northern party of the time. Next thing you know he was pallying with Babangida and co.
Bros, i thought you were Igbo. Abi you don forget say na the identity wey you dey claim? grin
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by AndreUweh(m): 12:35am On Dec 10, 2012
Rossikk:

A DAMNING INDICTMENT.

Ojukwu was pardoned and assisted to return from exile by the NPN led govt of Nigeria. It was a gentlemanly agreement betweeen him and the govt of Shagari/Ekwueme.
Biafra had ceased to exist prior to his return to Nigeria and he returned to Nigeria. He has to pally with Nigerians and not Malians, Togolese etc. What is wrong with that?.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by ezeagu(m): 12:41am On Dec 10, 2012
I don't understand these articles, they suggest that the Igbo are actually doing worse than everybody else. Why doesn't everyone worry about their own people instead of writing essays about how the next group "are their own worst enemies", especially when you're group aren't exactly doing to well economically, socially, or politically either.

Notice how these essays are always about one particular group.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by AndreUweh(m): 12:44am On Dec 10, 2012
ezeagu: I don't understand these articles, they suggest that the Igbo are actually doing worse than everybody else. Why doesn't everyone worry about their own people instead of writing essays about how the next group "are their own worst enemies", especially when you're group aren't exactly doing to well economically, socially, or politically either.

Seconded
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by Rossikk(m): 12:48am On Dec 10, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Ojukwu was pardoned and assisted to return from exile by the NPN led govt of Nigeria. It was a gentlemanly agreement betweeen him and the govt of Shagari/Ekwueme.
Biafra had ceased to exist prior to his return to Nigeria and he returned to Nigeria. He has to pally with Nigerians and not Malians, Togolese etc. What is wrong with that?.

He also pallied with IBB. I saw a picture of them in a tight hug once, like they were long-lost friends.
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by Rossikk(m): 12:49am On Dec 10, 2012
afam4eva:
Bros, i thought you were Igbo. Abi you don forget say na the identity wey you dey claim? grin

So what? My ethnicity doesn't bar me from looking at things in an unbiased manner.

I'm not mentally or intellectually encumbered by my ethnicity.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by seanet02: 12:51am On Dec 10, 2012
Rossikk:

A DAMNING INDICTMENT.

Thank you my brother.
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by Nobody: 1:22am On Dec 10, 2012
ezeagu: I don't understand these articles, they suggest that the Igbo are actually doing worse than everybody else. Why doesn't everyone worry about their own people instead of writing essays about how the next group "are their own worst enemies", especially when you're group aren't exactly doing to well economically, socially, or politically either.

Nigeria for you.
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by bittyend(m): 1:27am On Dec 10, 2012
The man spoke in the context(Achebe's jejune story book) in which the question was asked, yet the primitive people have started questioning the rational behind his response.

Tell Achebe to keep Yoruba out of his mouth and the man wouldn't even care if Ibos exist or not.
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by EkoIle1: 1:28am On Dec 10, 2012

That's what the rest of the country is doing, but not ibo people and their annoying constant crying and finger pointing, writing silly books full of lies and empty chest beating that your are better than this and that.

Yes, you are your own worst enemies. Tell Ashebe Yoruba people did not kidnap okonjo's mother.

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by dayokanu(m): 3:18am On Dec 10, 2012
Rossikk:

He also pallied with IBB. I saw a picture of them in a tight hug once, like they were long-lost friends.

[size=18pt]2011: Ojukwu canvasses support for IBB[/size]
On May 2, 2010 · In News
6:52 am

By Tony Edike, Enugu
THE Ikemba Nnewi, Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, was yesterday, reported to be in support for the presidential ambition of former military leader, General Ibrahim Babangida, in 2011

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/05/2011-ojukwu-canvasses-support-for-ibb/
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by dayokanu(m): 3:22am On Dec 10, 2012
muystoy: [size=14pt]Even before the war, in 1959, when the election was contested by the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons, the Action Group and the Northern People’s Party, Awolowo offered that he and Nnamdi Azikiwe should come together and that he preferred to serve under Azikiwe, as the Premier and he (Awolowo) as the Commissioner for Finance. He made that offer when there was no war. I want to refer to the publication of Micheal Okpara in the New Nation Magazine, where he said he regretted not supporting that move by Awolowo for a coalition between the NCNC and the Action Group. Nobody has refuted that.[/size]

Do you also think Achebe’s insinuation that Awolowo, as well as Yoruba, hated Igbo people?

- Punch Newspapers
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by dayokanu(m): 3:27am On Dec 10, 2012
So, when the opportunity came for us to fight for that, the Igbo didn’t support us. [size=15pt]Immediately they were offered a juicy position by the northerners, they joined them. That was what happened after the election, instead of Azikiwe joining the UPN, he teamed up with the NPN. And these are the people you claim to have conducted a pogrom against you. Even Ojukwu himself, when he came back from exile, he joined NPN. Many people do not know that. And from my experience with Igbo people for over 60 years, there are very few Igbo that we in the West are ready to trust. Prominent Igbo, who should have joined in the fight to unite the East and the West to solve the inequality in the country, refused because they took advantage of the fact that the people in the North wooed them and gave them some inferior positions.[/size] Go put these points to the prominent Igbo, who were around at the time I’m talking about. The Igbo are their own fatal enemies. Igbo people were not massacred in the West. Even during the war, all the property of Igbo people was kept intact. But when the opportunity came for Igbo to rearrange the country, it was those who

Its called the Stockholm syndrome. the Igbos are now eternal slaves to their Hausa Lords.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by BlackPikiN(m): 3:37am On Dec 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Its called the Stockholm syndrome. the Igbos are now eternal slaves to their Hausa Lords.
Like this
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by 9javoice1(m): 3:57am On Dec 10, 2012
Nigeria seems to still have a problem of unity, with recent agitations for secession, in Ogoni and Bakassi. What do you think is the solution to this problem?

There has to be a sovereign national conference. All the ethnic nationalities must sit down and negotiate. You cannot force unity. The question of people saying that the unity of the country is not negotiable is nonsense. It shows complete ignorance. There is nothing more negotiable than the unity of this country. If we want to live together we must agree on what terms we live on. We cannot be one by mouth. If you are in a club, you have to be satisfied that there is an advantage in joining that club and you pay the price to be there. And if you are in a club, where you have benefits, you won’t want to do anything that will make you to be expelled. If we are in a country and some people say they want to get out, why? It means they are not satisfied. It means they feel cheated. Let’s sit down and discuss.

are you telling us that the yoruba's are not regreting the war? an opportunity to get out from this hell hole of a country.

why should we have SNC? after blowing up a chance to solve it permanently.

why should we negotiate the nation existence?
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by 9javoice1(m): 4:13am On Dec 10, 2012
You said Awolowo’s aim was to keep Nigeria one. Is Nigeria now one nation?
Well, that’s another matter. You remember that Awolowo left the government after the war; he was not removed. He said he joined the government because he wanted to keep Nigeria one. He said, ‘the war has ended, the country is one, I have no business to be in government.’ So, what happened thereafter cannot be attributed to Chief Awolowo. It can only be attributed to his successors who did not keep to the principle and ambition of those who fought the war.

1- till tomoro every right thinking MB and SW are regreting the war. i don't know why some people keep deceiving themselfs.
how was nigeria one when awolowo quit the goverment.yet SW are championing the course of SNC a chance they blew up?

2- somebody should wonder why AWOLOWO usualy ask for the possition of finance minister to any government he want to join?
the answer is conering the economy to favor his yoruba tribe. go and check out what hapened when he got the post.
he resigned when the northerners became angry for his policies of favouring the west rather than building the nation.
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by 9javoice1(m): 4:34am On Dec 10, 2012
The civil war ended over 40 years ago and there has not been a Nigerian President of Igbo extraction. Some Igbo leaders attribute that to hatred for Igbo. Do you think that is true?
If you look at the facts after war, the Igbo themselves didn’t help themselves. The principle of creation of states was meant for the recognition of all ethnic nationalities; that no ethnic nationality is inferior to the other. And we were fighting that the constitution of the country should be made in such a way that everybody should have access to the top. So, when the opportunity came for us to fight for that, the Igbo didn’t support us. Immediately they were offered a juicy position by the northerners, they joined them. That was what happened after the election, instead of Azikiwe joining the UPN, he teamed up with the NPN. And these are the people you claim to have conducted a pogrom against you. Even Ojukwu himself, when he came back from exile, he joined NPN. Many people do not know that. And from my experience with Igbo people for over 60 years, there are very few Igbo that we in the West are ready to trust. Prominent Igbo, who should have joined in the fight to unite the East and the West to solve the inequality in the country, refused because they took advantage of the fact that the people in the North wooed them and gave them some inferior positions. Go put these points to the prominent Igbo, who were around at the time I’m talking about. The Igbo are their own fatal enemies. Igbo people were not massacred in the West. Even during the war, all the property of Igbo people was kept intact. But when the opportunity came for Igbo to rearrange the country, it was those who massacred them that they teamed up with. Igbo should be told that. They are their own enemies.

1-why should the igbo join with the west while the west refuse to join with the East to pull off from the nation.

2-if OJUKWU turn around and join the west on his coming back,
qoute me the west will be going around speaking nonsense as how igbos are not trust worthy.
e.g many Yorubas has responded to Achebe while few north did. yorubas has loud mouth and spit trash anyhow.

3-by the way how many yorubas has ruled nigeria with the surport of yorubas? none.
how are yorubas lover of themself better than the igbos.
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by ak47mann(m): 4:43am On Dec 10, 2012
See how igbos are making this cowards lose sleep just because of a human being like you, that breath the same air as you are enterprising as they go along,this Yoruba tribe will not let us drink water and drop our cups peacefully. That will tell you that this yaribas are paranoid about us and it will not end soon, their kids might grow up fearing igbos too,what a mental torture.My next life IGBO ALL THE WAYYY....IGBO POWER IS DOING A LOT OF MENTAL DAMAGE TO A LOT OF GROUPS IN NIGERIA cool

ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE THEM...........................BECAUSE IGBO TRAUMA HAVE DAMAGE THEIR MIND, THEY ARE LIKE BLIND MEN DOING TIME....
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by 9javoice1(m): 4:50am On Dec 10, 2012
Awolowo cannot work with anybody without ulterior motive. he usualy have skeleton inside.
that is why he usualy ask for position of finance minister.

If zik accepts awolowo's request of finance minister what post will the minorities get?

how do you think that zik will accept such nonsense against merit.

why did awo only think about his tribe than he think for minorities.

he always remember the minorities as soon as he looses out.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by ak47mann(m): 4:57am On Dec 10, 2012
9ja voice: Awolowo cannot work with anybody without ulterior motive. he usualy have skeleton inside.
that is why he usualy ask for position of finance minister.

If zik accepts awolowo's request of finance minister what post will the minorities get?

how do you think that zik will accept such nonsense against merit.

why did awo only think about his tribe than he think for minorities.

he always remember the minorities as soon as he looses out.
THEY CANNOT ANSWER THAT. HATE INSIDE THEM WILL NOT LET THEM................AS I SAID B4 (IGBO POWER) IS DOING TOO MUCH DAMAGE IN THEIR MIND....
Re: Igbos Are Their Own Enemies-adebanjo by NegroNtns(m): 4:57am On Dec 10, 2012
dayokanu:

ezioku?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Come Back Jarus! All Is Forgiven. / Power Generation: Pdp And The Demons Of The Power Sector! / Kano Bombing "A Distraction" From More Important Issues - El-Rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.