Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,714 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election (16905 Views)

Jonathan Deploys Military Men To Monitor Election – See Names And Phone Numbers / The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face / Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Jettage: 4:51am On Dec 10, 2012
Following embarrassing and undemocratic utterances by General Olusegun Obasanjo at yesterday’s meeting of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the leadership of the commission today held a review meeting that could end the possibility of future election observation on its behalf by the former Nigerian leader.

As SaharaReporters reported yesterday, Obasanjo was the figure behind the recommendation of the ECOWAS observation team to curtail the media in election observation that contradicts the position of ECOWAS and other international democracy observers.

A senior ECOWAS official said of today’s development, “Our meeting this evening has resolved, and this will be communicated to the political leadership of ECOWAS, that Chief Obasanjo should be saved the trouble of trying to give what he doesn't have.”

He said the review was necessitated by the negative reaction generated by General Obasanjo's role in the observation mission and the potential for it to undermine the credibility of ECOWAS in future observation missions.

According to the senior officer, “You know Obasanjo is a loose cannon. He becomes uncontrollable once bestowed with power. We regret this appointment and vowed never to have the man invited to head missions again.

“ECOWAS was only fortunate to have [been] at an election of an advanced and stable democracy. Were it to be a volatile country, his disposition, recommendations and utterances are not only capable of truncating the electoral process, they are capable of jeopardizing the security and safety of our 250 monitors mobilized from across the sub-region.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/election-monitoring-embarrassed-ecowas-vows-never-invite-obasanjo-again
http://akinbami..com/2012/12/obasanjo-disgraced-now-world-knows.html

6 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by aminho(m): 5:49am On Dec 10, 2012
i wnt say 1st to commt but make we leave baba iyabo AREMU OBASANJO rest now!who told them to give him the role firstly!them think ghana na nigeria wey ppl dnt knw dia right?

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 10, 2012
His disposition, recommendations and utterances are not only capable of truncating the electoral process, they are capable of jeopardizing the security and safety of the crogmagnon man.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 10, 2012
Obasanjo should look for something meaningful to humanity to do with his life especially in Nigeria because he could get forgotten real fast after death if he continues like this.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 10, 2012
Baba is a great man .........file don't touch him !!!!

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Dygeasy(m): 11:20am On Dec 10, 2012
And ECOWAS vexed.....

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by fasbat(m): 11:23am On Dec 10, 2012
it is pity that Engr Obasanjo (as he refused being referred to as General) could nt pretend for once that he is a democrat but i dont blame him,it is Ecowas commission that messed up
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by mrrock: 11:23am On Dec 10, 2012
OBJ, I will personally advise you to go have some rest. You've done your best. Please give room to younger people.

3 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by wellmax(m): 11:23am On Dec 10, 2012
So what? Because he talk say the election was fairly free, fairly transparent, fairly peaceful and fairly fair.
Make them leave our baba jare.
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by adedotman5(m): 11:23am On Dec 10, 2012
Jettage: Following embarrassing and undemocratic utterances by General Olusegun Obasanjo at yesterday’s meeting of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the leadership of the commission today held a review meeting that could end the possibility of future election observation on its behalf by the former Nigerian leader.

As SaharaReporters reported yesterday, Obasanjo was the figure behind the recommendation of the ECOWAS observation team to curtail the media in election observation that contradicts the position of ECOWAS and other international democracy observers.

A senior ECOWAS official said of today’s development, “Our meeting this evening has resolved, and this will be communicated to the political leadership of ECOWAS, that Chief Obasanjo should be saved the trouble of trying to give what he doesn't have.”

He said the review was necessitated by the negative reaction generated by General Obasanjo's role in the observation mission and the potential for it to undermine the credibility of ECOWAS in future observation missions.

According to the senior officer, “You know Obasanjo is a loose cannon. He becomes uncontrollable once bestowed with power. We regret this appointment and vowed never to have the man invited to head missions again.

“ECOWAS was only fortunate to have [been] at an election of an advanced and stable democracy. Were it to be a volatile country, his disposition, recommendations and utterances are not only capable of truncating the electoral process, they are capable of jeopardizing the security and safety of our 250 monitors mobilized from across the sub-region.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/election-monitoring-embarrassed-ecowas-vows-never-invite-obasanjo-again
http://akinbami..com/2012/12/obasanjo-disgraced-now-world-knows.html
I dont know why they'll appoit a cat to look after mice in the 1st place

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Tsmooth1(m): 11:24am On Dec 10, 2012
O.k how does that stop OBJ from eating cassava bread?

8 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by hagma37yahoocom: 11:26am On Dec 10, 2012
Obasanjo is not a politician but an opportunist.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by drnoel: 11:27am On Dec 10, 2012
At least the man's true colours are gradually being seen by others apart from Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Ibangap(m): 11:28am On Dec 10, 2012
'What the elderly man sees while sitting, a child cannot see it even if he climbs an iroko tree'. So i dont xpect Obj's report 2 correspond wit wat other Ecowas observers reported.
Baba na Baba.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by rexfada(m): 11:28am On Dec 10, 2012
If I were OBJ, I'll be retired in my farm and forget about state matters, instead of getting involved in state matters and hauling curses, disrespect and insults on myself

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Smooyis(m): 11:30am On Dec 10, 2012
what did he say dat is bad?

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 10, 2012
After soilin ur name in Naija, u want to go outside n do same right? Goodluck without jonathan to u baba iyabo
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by bowee4u: 11:31am On Dec 10, 2012
Hahahahaha no be jeje d man sit down b4 una ca am
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nonybb: 11:32am On Dec 10, 2012
I passionately advocated non inclusion of OBJ. OBJ was never a model for election. When i saw his name as list of observers i shocked and lost for words. Do we still cherish accountablilities and track records? Is the business of governance a mediocre? Its on record that OBJ introduce do or die politics in nigerian election and yet he was to advice others on election matters? How can u give what u dont have? I hv far too many questions to ask ECOWAS commission for this kind of error. This is shameful. Am ashamed of this country and ECOWAS commission. Once again, shame on u

3 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 10, 2012
Why now. Nah Atiku una wan invite

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 10, 2012
Good morning all,
If they know this:

Jettage:

Why then did they bother to invite him in the first place let alone make him the head of the delegation?

ECOWAS should get their act right and try to take preventive measures in the future, instead of making this kind of mistake again.

Thank you!
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by KINGwax(m): 11:37am On Dec 10, 2012
pls, wot is ecowas? Are theu like eu? Or uae? I knw those other tow have a beta economy. Pls, i repeat, wot is ecowas? And y is it opening it's toothless mouth?
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by ypzilanti: 11:38am On Dec 10, 2012
i do not take any news 'report' without verifiable sources seriously. That said, Obasanjo has the worst record of election supervision in the whole world. I remember that a United nations official said that Iraqs election after the war was freer and fairer than Nigerian presidential elections that saw the 'selection' of Yaradua.

His legacy of elections is imposition of cadidates and do or die electioneering. have we forgotten his romance with the 'garrison comander' of Ibadan? His connivance with maurice Iwu to impose Ohakim on Imo state people?

He was a more decisive leader and had better direction that the floundering clueless guy in power now, but GEJ is 100 percent a better democrat than Obasanjo. and i am no GEJ fan.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 10, 2012
hagma37@yahoo.com:
Obasanjo is not a politician but an opportunist.

He is a clown and a loose one at that.

Gbooosa for OBJ!!! Hehehehe...

Elderstatesman indeed.
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by Francheezy(m): 11:42am On Dec 10, 2012
Obasanjo Obasanjo Obasanjo
everywhr i g0, na s0 s0 Obasanjo i dey c
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by omowolewa: 11:55am On Dec 10, 2012
Even if events are not running againt OB, age is running agaist him. So what's the stress? Free the man joooooorr

Ijo melo ni iku Arugbo ko tetun na lopa
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by obicentlis: 12:00pm On Dec 10, 2012
Na wetin too much garri dey cause.

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by sharpshap(m): 12:01pm On Dec 10, 2012
[quote author=drnoel]At least the man's true colours are gradually being seen by others apart from Nigerians.[/they ask him to oer what he doess not have.PDP!quote]
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by obongoboy: 12:08pm On Dec 10, 2012
The idiot don't know what to do with his useless old age. OBJ my foot. biggest looter. a man who slept with his son,s wife, a man who killed bola ige, a man who used 18 billion dollars to give NIGERIANS darkness , a man who killed every living object in odi and benue. a man who who increased price of fuel
7 times in eight years , a man who wanted to rule for ever, a man who stole with impunity. a man who will die like aloof Hitler. shamless bastard.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by chuzyemx: 12:15pm On Dec 10, 2012
adedotman5:
I dont know why they'll appoit a cat to look after mice in the 1st place
Must u copy d whole thread,od.e mum.u
Re: ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election by victorD3: 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2012
A case of giving goat a tuber of yam for safe keeping

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Richest Countries In Africa - Is Nigeria Among? Lets See / TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja / Buhari’s 2nd Term Will Be Similar To How He Operated In 1984 – Sagay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.