Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,848 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) (2410 Views)

Your Toilet Seat Is Your Thinking Chair: True Or False? / Why Do The Yorubas Talk Too Much / Why Do Men Talk Too Much These Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by slowpoison(m): 9:27pm On Aug 08, 2005
Why do Nigerians talk too much without really thinking?

I have observed that Nigerians talk too much. Rather than keep quiet, they feel that they have to respond to every situation with noise instead of thinking about how to remedy things.

I will give an example: today in my cyber-cafe one idiot was stealing my time. I just restarted his system from the server. Instead of being ashamed of stealing he came up to me to ask why I did not inform him that I wanted to restart his system. [He threatened] that he was going to disrupt work in the cafe for three days, that would stab at least one person each day, [et cetera]. Some guys started begging me to give the idiot some free time; I just laughed at their faces, telling them that we pay way too much attention to adults tantrums in this country.

This talking without reasoning is worse within (some) families. I know when my neigbour's wife wakes up everyday from the noise she makes while cursing her children, especially the girl that still wets her bed. She starts with "atole, oloriburuku, omo ale, koni da fun hen, oma ku baje" bla bla bla <translation: bed-wetter, bad child, your life will not be ok, spoilt shild!>

And like Fela said, it is only in Nigeria that the government openly comdemns hers people. I know that this may sound cocky, and I really do not want people who enjoy the benefit of having an opinion without the benefit of thought to contribute to this topic as they may just make a lot of noise without adding anything to the topic.
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by hotangel2(f): 11:23pm On Aug 08, 2005
You r right. Nigerians talk too much. And most of them curse alot..i mean big cursing...they will curse ur future...and ur generations. And they make "empty" Threats.
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by WesleyanA(f): 4:47am On Aug 13, 2005
lmao cheesy cheesy

Hot Angel have mercy on him please
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by nferyn(m): 9:56am On Oct 15, 2005
Let me give you an outsider's perspective (a little over the top):

[list]
[li]Nigerians do talk a lot[/li]
[li]they are very loud - why all that shouting on the telephone?[/li]
[li]everybody is talking aloud at the same time during a group conversation, the one talking the loudest is leading the conversation[/li]
[li]friendly words are a waste of your breath, you need all your breath to talk louder, they may not hear you[/li]
[li][variations on the same theme][/li]
[/list]

Now on a serious note: this was the one cultural difference that took me most time to adjust to.

No she's not angry at me, no she's not giving me orders, it's just her manner of speach
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by hotangel2(f): 5:16am On Oct 17, 2005
nferyn:

No she's not angry at me, no she's not giving me orders, it's just her manner of speech

TRUE!
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by Greatpeter(m): 12:11pm On Oct 17, 2005
Nigerians may be talking too much in some people's perspectives, but situation must have caused that.

But i think I'm reserved and I'm a Nigerian.
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by Odeku(m): 4:52pm On Oct 19, 2005
That is stereotyping, Nigerians don't talk to much they are just opinionated, we like to speak what we feel and how we feel. nothing wrong with expressing yourself.  Come to America and  see basket mouth cursing.  American will curse you out over a Pennie
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by nferyn(m): 8:43pm On Oct 19, 2005
It's all manner of speach. Different cultures have different habits. There is no judgement here, but you need to have the perspective to acknowledge and appreciate the differences.

And yes, it is stereotyping, I clearly pointed out that this was exaggerated - satire people tongue
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by WesleyanA(f): 12:51am On Oct 20, 2005
nigerians are loud generally. that's one of the things i miss about mon pays cheesy
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by Shadiat(f): 2:40pm On Oct 23, 2005
Umm--Not only Nigerian People talk out loud and curse and do all that ish u guys mention.. rolleyes
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by WesleyanA(f): 1:10am On Oct 24, 2005
cheesy
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by mingiix: 7:15am On Oct 24, 2005
A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by beyonce1.

View the reply at: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-7259.128.html#bot

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=notify;topic=7259.0

Regards,
The Nairaland Forum Team.
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by WesleyanA(f): 2:33am On Oct 26, 2005
mingiix:

Did i hear you say Nigerians are a loud bunch?Well. There is a very simple explanation to this. Poverty.. Before the Babaginda era(when corruption was finally legalised), Nigerians were a soft -spoken and well respected people. Please ask yor parents if you are less than 35yr old.
Remember the last ephemeral fuel scarcity in the UK? Did u hear the shouting and cursing (none was a nigerian though)? This just illustrates that stress and pverty will bring out the animalistic tendency in humans.And Nigeria is surfeited with both.
I will want anyone to prove me wrong. grin

that's soo wrong. i'll prove you wrong. but not now, i have stuff to do.
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by janami(f): 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2007
slowpoison:

Why do Nigerians talk too much without really thinking?

I have observed that Nigerians talk too much. Rather than keep quiet, they feel that they have to respond to every situation with noise instead of thinking about how to remedy things.

I will give an example: today in my cyber-cafe one idiot was stealing my time. I just restarted his system from the server. Instead of being ashamed of stealing he came up to me to ask why I did not inform him that I wanted to restart his system. [He threatened] that he was going to disrupt work in the cafe for three days, that would stab at least one person each day, [et cetera]. Some guys started begging me to give the idiot some free time; I just laughed at their faces, telling them that we pay way too much attention to adults tantrums in this country.

This talking without reasoning is worse within (some) families. I know when my neigbour's wife wakes up everyday from the noise she makes while cursing her children, especially the girl that still wets her bed. She starts with "atole, oloriburuku, omo ale, koni da fun hen, oma ku baje" bla bla bla <translation: bed-wetter, bad child, your life will not be ok, spoilt shild!>

And like Fela said, it is only in Nigeria that the government openly comdemns hers people. I know that this may sound cocky, and I really do not want people who enjoy the benefit of having an opinion without the benefit of thought to contribute to this topic as they may just make a lot of noise without adding anything to the topic.
yeah. it is really ture. Nigerians talk alot. jst chk me out. i jst cnt stop talking. that is why i am going to say this to u "quit whining" cos that is exactly what u r doing. u r tired of the noise ur neighbor's wife makes every morning, then be a nigerian and tell her to shut up. u r pissed by someone stealing ur time, then be a nigerian and use that mouth to tell him to get outta ur shop and quit whining
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 20, 2007
@janami
why did you revive the thread ,its dead
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by janami(f): 8:16pm On Oct 21, 2007
because i was findin it difficult to sleep without lettin my tots known. tongue
Re: Nigerians Talk Too Much (without really thinking!) by slimes(m): 9:39pm On Dec 21, 2009
Silence is the best answer for a fool.

(1) (Reply)

Why Does America Name Its Natural Disaster/crisis? (katrina, Irene) / Missing Person. / 21 People Set Themselves On Fire In Guiness Book Of Records (photo And Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.