Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:02 PM

Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? - Religion (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? (28329 Views)

Poll: Evolution or Creation? vote!

Evolution: 23% (27 votes)
Creation: 66% (75 votes)
Something Else: 9% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Evolution Or Creationism,which Sounds More Logical? / Evolution Or Intelligent Design / Did Anyone (DEAD/LIVING) Witnessed Evolution Or The Big B@ng? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Nobody: 9:10am On May 08, 2011

Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe?

I believe that God [b]CREATED [/b]an [b]EVOLVING [/b]Universe
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:56pm On May 08, 2011
EVOLUTION ALL DA WAY!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by UyiIredia(m): 6:39pm On May 08, 2011
@ Jenwetemi >>> you have not yt realised your immortal self

My reply to this topic is both >>> however I find it silly AFTER EVALUATING THE EVIDENCE FOR MYSELF that life arose abiogenetically and that we are cousins of the chimpanzees >> I think that neo-Darwinism has to bow before neo-Lamarkism and then merge with ID before the brouhaha over evolution settles >>> Darwin was doubtless a brilliant naturalist, bit a poor theoreticist
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 08, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

@ Jenwetemi >>> you have not yt realised your immortal self

My reply to this topic is both >>> however I find it silly AFTER EVALUATING THE EVIDENCE FOR MYSELF that life arose abiogenetically and that we are cousins of the chimpanzees

What evidence have you actually looked at? What is so silly about saying we share a distant ancestor with chimpanzees. Is it not true that we share physical characteristics with chimpanzees such as number of fingers/toes, number of limbs, spinal cord, head and brain location just to name a few? Even the heart of the chimpanzee is left of center in the rib cage. Or is it not true that 98% of the human genome is identical to chimpanzees? Or perhaps fossil record showing many the evolution of hominids does not exist? Please tell us what is so hard to believe.

Uyi Iredia:

I think that neo-Darwinism has to bow before neo-Lamarkism and then merge with ID before the brouhaha over evolution settles

There is no brouhaha over evolution in the field of science. The brouhaha is just a bunch of armchair theorist outside the realm of science who do not like the painfully obvious conclusions being drawn from the evidence.

Uyi Iredia:

Darwin was doubtless a brilliant naturalist, bit a poor theoreticist

You have got to be kidding with this one. You of all people are not in a position to judge his skill as a theoretician. He actually backed up his proposition by sound evidence, while you are constantly asserting wild conjectures without a shred of evidence.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Iyineda(m): 10:25am On May 09, 2011
I believe in concrete facts, period. Be it from science or any other medium as long as there is (intelligible) proof behind it.

I cannot put my faith in fables, fairy tales and the words of imaginary friends.

skapactentalt:

hello, everybody presumably does not know or about me, but I remember you ,
I'm with you and I fancy that now take oneself to be sympathize a real family. So decidedly it all later to lure and ask for what next ,
regards

What's this?
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:28pm On May 09, 2011
Idehn:

What evidence have you actually looked at? What is so silly about saying we share a distant ancestor with chimpanzees. Is it not true that we share physical characteristics with chimpanzees such as number of fingers/toes, number of limbs, spinal cord, head and brain location just to name a few? Even the heart of the chimpanzee is left of center in the rib cage. Or is it not true that 98% of the human genome is identical to chimpanzees? Or perhaps fossil record showing many the evolution of hominids does not exist? Please tell us what is so hard to believe.

There is no brouhaha over evolution in the field of science. The brouhaha is just a bunch of armchair theorist outside the realm of science who do not like the painfully obvious conclusions being drawn from the evidence.

You have got to be kidding with this one. You of all people are not in a position to judge his skill as a theoretician. He actually backed up his proposition by sound evidence, while you are constantly asserting wild conjectures without a shred of evidence.

WELL SAID BROTHAA!!!!!!!
these xtians wanna pull us bak to the dark ages bu lemme tell u guyz sumthin. u r na gnna succeed. I am na ashamed of my ancestors, be dey human or animal. I follow d traditional African religion of my human ancestors becuz i respect dem and in d same way, i accept d theory of evolution because i respect my ape-like ancestors. We have skeletal and gentic proof wheras u xtains r talkin non cr.ap bull-sense (as usual) without showing us any proof as to our descent from 2 amourous and sinful creatures lyk adam n eve. i totally hate dat concept because i find it as a personal insult on my individuality by saying dat im d same sh!t as d white guy ova dr who enslaved ma ppl and ma tribe. newayz even if u xtians kip spreadin this message of lies evrywer, d Gods alone noe d truth n u ppl r gnna be punished in sum way ova da other for rejectin ya identity and for abandoning ur true faiths and science in favor of ur enslavers beliefs. rest assured.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by UyiIredia(m): 12:27pm On May 11, 2011
Axiom 1: Will and intellect are one and the same thing

Idehn:

Evidence is an exertion of will. I can never give you a shred of evidence for God (as generally understood across all religions) if you constantly set your will otherwise. Any such conversation will just be an exercise in futility. i have looked at the same evidence darwin looked at. i studied biology up to SSIII in Kings' College, Lagos >>> mulled deeply over the two theories of evolution >>> and at the age of 15 came to my conclusion: The basis on which the Lamarckian theory was dismissed was flimsy considering the vastness of the subject of Biology.

Note the similarity of my argument to David Hume's in his book "Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion"

Idehn:

there is. i would be naive to accept your statement. by the way, your outburst so far, tells proves otherwise.

Axiom 2: Cogito ergo sum

Idehn:

I think, therefore I am >>> I am able, more than able to say you are wrong, and more than able (as my earlier statement implied) to say that Darwin's was a poor theory that is simply agreed upon by many. He was able to replicate his theory to as many biologists possible >>> hence the assumption (or presumption if you will) that he was correct
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:47pm On May 11, 2011
@ Uyi Iredia,

u came to a conclusion at d age of 15 when u wer still a MINOR. tongue undecided undecided
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by UyiIredia(m): 2:33pm On May 11, 2011
@ PAGAN >>> yes, must I perform 'wonders' akin to the likes of Benjamin Franklin, Leonardo Da Vinci (my favourite) or the Duke of Westminster before I can make rational conclusions >>> one thing i have since learnt about geniuses is that >>> they were once considered as hopeless cases
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 11, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

Evidence is an exertion of will. I can never give you a shred of evidence for God (as generally understood across all religions) if you constantly set your will otherwise. Any such conversation will just be an exercise in futility. i have looked at the same evidence darwin looked at. i studied biology up to SSIII in Kings' College, Lagos >>> mulled deeply over the two theories of evolution >>> and at the age of 15 came to my conclusion: The basis on which the Lamarckian theory was dismissed was flimsy considering the vastness of the subject of Biology.

First I did not ask you where or when you came to your conclusion. I asked you what evidence you looked at and what was so hard to believe. Second, you need to look at the evidence that we are looking at in the 21th century. The theory of evolution has come very,very, very far since the time of Darwin. Thirdly, I am not opposed to learning the truth and disagree with your premise. If the evidence points to an outcome, no matter how much I do not like it, I must yield. That is I why I feel Spinoza was not entirely correct with that statement. It implies that people will never accept information(intellect) that runs counter to what they desire(will). Intellect and will are different in the same way that what we want is different from what we know. Every now and again what we know conflicts with what we want.

God as understood across religions? There is no consensus on the general nature of God that is even close to coherent, much less agreed by all if any who claim to be religious. You probably cannot give a shred of evidence because you have no coherent definition of what God IS like most people. Or at least that has been my experience with most who claim belief. For example, in your Atheism is a Religion threads, you did not even take the time to clearly define what God or religion was. You just asserted that Atheist disbelieved in God, as if they knew what it was you were talking about. Then, you used a warped definition of religion(which I am still not sure of) and called atheism a religion. Like many other things, you just asserted God without so much as a clear definition of what it was you were even talking about.

Uyi Iredia:

Axiom 2: Cogito ergo sum

I think, therefore I am >>> I am able, more than able to say you are wrong, and more than able (as my earlier statement implied) to say that Darwin's was a poor theory that is simply agreed upon by many. He was able to replicate his theory to as many biologists possible >>> hence the assumption (or presumption if you will) that he was correct

You just pulled together two random axiomatic expressions, and used them to come to an arbitrary conclusion. I believe that fallacy is called a non-sequitur. You might well have said that Darwin was wrong because you think Darwin was wrong which of course is just stating the obvious. Furthermore, I believe you are projecting yourself onto me with your interpretation of the first Axiom. It is you who does not want to believe evolution and so you choose to ignore the evidence. You need evidence to counter scientific theories, which you have yet to present.

Evolutionary theory, is supported with a vast network of physical evidence(Genetics,Fossil Record,Medicine,Physiology etc. . .). If you think science works by word of mouth then you are woefully mistaken. The bare minimum requirement for a theorist is to present the evidence that lead to his/her conclusions/premise which Darwin did in his time. The truth is that he did not even have a complete notion of the theory of Evolution(as he of course knew nothing of Genetics). It was only after the discovery of DNA, that a complete Theory of Evolution could be formulated. He mostly spoke of natural selection and speciation which I should hope you agree with. Once again you make an assertion, without properly(or accurately) supporting your premise. It is not enough to assert that Darwin is wrong. Tell me why it is Darwin wrong.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by thehomer: 6:16pm On May 11, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

. . .

Sorry but based on that conclusion, either you did not understand what you were taught or you were not taught properly. You're free to present the basis of your conclusion of the wrongness of Darwin's theory and the rightness of Lamarck's theory. If your reasoning was good enough, then I hope you were able to ask your teacher and correct his wrong teaching.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by UyiIredia(m): 12:15pm On Jun 30, 2011
Idehn:

First I did not ask you where or when you came to your conclusion. I asked you what evidence you looked at and what was so hard to believe. Second, you need to look at the evidence that we are looking at in the 21th century. The theory of evolution has come very,very, very far since the time of Darwin. Thirdly, I am not opposed to learning the truth and disagree with your premise. If the evidence points to an outcome, no matter how much I do not like it, I must yield. That is I why I feel Spinoza was not entirely correct with that statement. It implies that people will never accept information(intellect) that runs counter to what they desire(will). Intellect and will are different in the same way that what we want is different from what we know. Every now and again what we know conflicts with what we want.

I replied by treating the contextual usage of the term "evidence". I gave you my definition of evidence and told you how I thought on the 2 existing evolutionary models. I also told that it will be an exercise in futility for me to present my case if you do not agree to my conclusion on evidence - that it is an exertion of will. I see that I wasn't wrong

I believe that you misunderstand what I mean by will. Even in situations where what we know conflicts with what we want we exert our will to resolve such conflicts either by acceptance or denial.

Idehn:

God as understood across religions? There is no consensus on the general nature of God that is even close to coherent, much less agreed by all if any who claim to be religious. You probably cannot give a shred of evidence because you have no coherent definition of what God IS like most people. Or at least that has been my experience with most who claim belief. For example, in your Atheism is a Religion threads, you did not even take the time to clearly define what God or religion was. You just asserted that Atheist disbelieved in God, as if they knew what it was you were talking about. Then, you used a warped definition of religion(which I am still not sure of) and called atheism a religion. Like many other things, you just asserted God without so much as a clear definition of what it was you were even talking about.

God is generally understood to be the first uncaused creator of all existence. On what basis do you believe that the definition of God is so variegated , to the extent that I have to give my definition of God in the said topic ?

Idehn:

You just pulled together two random axiomatic expressions, and used them to come to an arbitrary conclusion. I believe that fallacy is called a non-sequitur. You might well have said that Darwin was wrong because you think Darwin was wrong which of course is just stating the obvious. Furthermore, I believe you are projecting yourself onto me with your interpretation of the first Axiom. It is you who does not want to believe evolution and so you choose to ignore the evidence. You need evidence to counter scientific theories, which you have yet to present.

they weren't random. They were carefully picked to present a fullproof argument to you. I see you do not accept it. Besides my concern is with but the part of Darwin's model in which he suggests that man arose abiogenetically by principles of natural selection (observed in variates of a species) Before you can make a claim about me ignoring evidence . We have to clear the air about what evidence means (to both of us) and what should suffice as evidence to prove Mr Darwin's claims.

Idehn:

Evolutionary theory, is supported with a vast network of physical evidence(Genetics,Fossil Record,Medicine,Physiology etc. . .). If you think science works by word of mouth then you are woefully mistaken. The bare minimum requirement for a theorist is to present the evidence that lead to his/her conclusions/premise which Darwin did in his time. The truth is that he did not even have a complete notion of the theory of Evolution(as he of course knew nothing of Genetics). It was only after the discovery of DNA, that a complete Theory of Evolution could be formulated. He mostly spoke of natural selection and speciation which I should hope you agree with. Once again you make an assertion, without properly(or accurately) supporting your premise. It is not enough to assert that Darwin is wrong. Tell me why it is Darwin wrong.

word of mouth has a role to play in propagating scientific theories.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by UyiIredia(m): 11:17am On Jul 19, 2011
Yeah, I know, that sounds crazy.  But I’m not asking you to believe anything just yet, until you see the evidence for yourself.  All I ask is that you refrain from disbelieving while I show you my proof.  It only takes a minute to convey, but it speaks to one of the most important questions of all time.

So how is this message proof of the existence of God?

This web page you’re reading contains letters, words and sentences.  It contains a message that means something. As long as you can read English, you can understand what I’m saying.

You can do all kinds of things with this message.  You can read it on your computer screen.  You can print it out on your printer.  You can read it out loud to a friend who’s in the same room as you are.  You can call your friend and read it to her over the telephone.  You can save it as a Microsoft WORD document.  You can forward it to someone via email, or you can post it on some other website.

Regardless of how you copy it or where you send it, the information remains the same.  My email contains a message. It contains information in the form of language.  The message is independent of the medium it is sent in.

Messages are not matter, even though they can be carried by matter (like printing this email on a piece of paper).

Messages are not energy even though they can be carried by energy (like the sound of my voice.)

Messages are immaterial.  Information is itself a unique kind of entity.  It can be stored and transmitted and copied in many forms, but the meaning still stays the same.

Messages can be in English, French or Chinese. Or Morse Code.  Or mating calls of birds.  Or the Internet.  Or radio or television.  Or computer programs or architect blueprints or stone carvings.  Every cell in your body contains a message encoded in DNA, representing a complete plan for you.

OK, so what does this have to do with God?

It’s very simple.  Messages, languages, and coded information ONLY come from a mind.  A mind that agrees on an alphabet and a meaning of words and sentences.  A mind that expresses both desire and intent.

Whether I use the simplest possible explanation, such as the one I’m giving you here, or if we analyze language with advanced mathematics and engineering communication theory, we can say this with total confidence:

“Messages, languages and coded information never, ever come from anything else besides a mind.  No one has ever produced a single example of a message that did not come from a mind.”

click here for more
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Njgirl1: 9:02pm On Jul 24, 2011
too many long replies so without reading any I will just reply the post directly cool. The human body and every other thing around us are so complicated and some people want me to believe it happened by chance nicknamed evolution sorry but I am not dumb grin
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Enigma(m): 10:31pm On Jul 24, 2011
The late Anthony Flew, one of the atheists' champions of all time who later renounced atheism, was asked:

HABERMAS: Then, would you comment on your “openness” to the notion of theistic
revelation?

He replied:

FLEW: Yes. I am open to it, but not enthusiastic about potential revelation from God. On
the positive side, for example, I am very much impressed with physicist Gerald Schroeder’s
comments on Genesis 1. That this biblical account might be scientifically accurate raises the
possibility that it is revelation

smiley
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Redhot111(m): 7:35am On Jun 02, 2012
I can't stop wonderin how even intellectually inclined pple will come 2 support dis tin called evolution, wen it is simply a theory, n not an established fact. Charles Darwin neva popularised d theory cos there so many loopholes in it. For instant, life can only come from a previously existing life. So if we were 2 believe dis evolution, den let d legion of scientists come n explain how d 1st unit of life came. Den again hw cum some apes evolved in2 human n human refused 2 evolve further?
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by ea7(m): 8:25am On Jun 02, 2012
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory
www.merriam-webster.com/medical/theory
Good sir, you are most assuredly correct. There is also the theory of gravity, go ahead and fly, also atomic theory ask the people of hiroshima and nagasaki what they think about that.
The rest of your post can be cleared up by you reading a biology textbook or tis thread or wikipedia. It is just so silly.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Gggg102(m): 6:12pm On Oct 08, 2017
jagunlabi:
I believe in both.
But not necessarily the creationist version of the bible,which is just one version out of many.The jewish version,to be precise.
God created through evolution.Elegantly linked together,no? wink smiley
y

just found an intelligent fellow grin
jagunlabi:
I believe in both.
But not necessarily the creationist version of the bible,which is just one version out of many.The jewish version,to be precise.
God created through evolution.Elegantly linked together,no? wink smiley
y

just found an intelligent fellow
I share your thought
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Gggg102(m): 6:19pm On Oct 08, 2017
I'm a Christian I believe in God and the theory of evolution
I believe God created through evolution
I love science and the scientific process
God created us with a brain so that we will use it not just believe everything irrationally
if we listened to those who argue against evolution because of the bible's story of creation, we would still be living in a society where the earth is flat

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Top Nigerian Gospel Praise & Worship Songs Released In November 2019 / Obasanjo Receives Kumuyi - More Photos / Osinbajo Will Be Sworn In As President; Atiku Will Take Over In 2019 – Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.