Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,464 members, 7,770,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:53 AM

How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. - Events (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. (23193 Views)

My Wedding Pixs / My Wedding Pictures. / My Wedding Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Curiouscity(m): 12:08am On Dec 11, 2012
Same people asking for accountability from people in gov't think it is "un-African" for someone to be accountable on his/her wedding day. Our greed for free things makes our political office holders to show the present level of mediocrity. There is a big difference between someone's wedding ceremony and the community New Yam Festival. Positive things we should copy we won't, only copy negative body exposure/indecent dressing.

@OP, just give out the IV a week or 2 to the wedding Day. Take the reception venue outside where U or ur spouse-to-be reside.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Akposy(m): 12:15am On Dec 11, 2012
U r planning rubbish! Dats greediness

If people cum to your wedding because of food, feed dem....not every can eat 3square meal

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Abbott(m): 12:20am On Dec 11, 2012
some-girl:

how so? when they don't they know the couple?

Loools
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 11, 2012
The thing is most people do not like to attend events alone especially women. So people will usually take a friend along especially if they are not sure they'll see mutual friends there. If you want 300 guests then you're better off inviting around 120, that way you make allowance for spouses, partners and such.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by kenlash1(m): 12:24am On Dec 11, 2012
I guess u shld stl plan for 300 hundred guests in d traditional rites too where u dnt even knw all ur relatives !!! Mschwwwwww. Ppl go abroad and copy d white mans life style, u can stay abroad nd d person living next door to u, u may nt even knw for years. But this is nt d same in nigeria. If u ve 300hundred guests in mind plan for a lil extra, nobody will kill u dt they didn't eat or drink , d reception isn't d most important tn in d marriage ceremony but the joining of u nd ur spouse. There are tns we do dt dey dnt do abroad like spraying of money nd I believe nigerians give more gifts dn d whytes, I'd advice u plan for a lil extra, let ppl share in ur joy
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Goldieluks: 12:25am On Dec 11, 2012
kenlash1: I guess u shld stl plan for 300 hundred guests in d traditional rites too where u dnt even knw all ur relatives !!! Mschwwwwww. Ppl go abroad and copy d white mans life style, u can stay abroad nd d person living next door to u, u may nt even knw for years. But this is nt d same in nigeria. If u ve 300hundred guests in mind plan for a lil extra, nobody will kill u dt they didn't eat or drink , d reception isn't d most important tn in d marriage ceremony but the joining of u nd ur spouse. There are tns we do dt dey dnt do abroad like spraying of money nd I believe nigerians give more gifts dn d whytes, I'd advice u plan for a lil extra, let ppl share in ur joy
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 12:28am On Dec 11, 2012
kenlash1: I guess u shld stl plan for 300 hundred guests in d traditional rites too where u dnt even knw all ur relatives !!! Mschwwwwww. Ppl go abroad and copy d white mans life style, u can stay abroad nd d person living next door to u, u may nt even knw for years. But this is nt d same in nigeria. If u ve 300hundred guests in mind plan for a lil extra, nobody will kill u dt they didn't eat or drink , d reception isn't d most important tn in d marriage ceremony but the joining of u nd ur spouse. There are tns we do dt dey dnt do abroad like spraying of money nd I believe nigerians give more gifts dn d whytes, I'd advice u plan for a lil extra, let ppl share in ur joy

Who says Nigerians don't spray money in their functions outside of Nigeria?
Na wa for people and stories
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Abbott(m): 12:28am On Dec 11, 2012
It is a wedding ceremony reception...Yes - the crowd should be managed and If uninvited peeps come in, have a magnanimous heart n feed them.

Anyways, it all depends on the venue, having such a reception @ d Independence Hall of the Fed Palace Hotel VI shuld sure screen out the crashers.

People will come, eat n forget a week later. You wont keep watching the videos daily...iow, dont sweat the small stuff. Enjoy!
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by minute(f): 12:29am On Dec 11, 2012
Ask yourself this though-if someone shows up uninvited, who really is being rude and insensitive? Especially if

someone invited shows up with an uninvited guest.

If you don't want uninvited guests at your wedding,don't broadcast it all over town when and where it will be.

Keep it small and be very specific in your invitations as to ceremony and reception. If they are not invited to

the reception, don't include any info about it. Separate reception cards can be added to the invitations of the

people invited to that part.You can certainly have people at the ceremony who are not invited to the reception.

Perhaps make a sitting chart to include everyone and have place card for them. The "sitting assistant" or whatever

would ask guest their names and give them their sitting cards.This way, it looks like things are organized and easier

for the guests, but really, you are just checking the guest list to make sure those people really are expected.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 11, 2012
@ the poster you can also include at the church ceremony an announcement that reception following the service at so and so venue is by invitation only
The gate crashers at the Church may find their way home from there. kiss
So you didn't actually need to bounce them
The ones that decided to skip the solemnization to show up at the reception will not get past the entrance of the hall or tent where a stationed bouncer is manning the gate kiss
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by ganjah: 12:48am On Dec 11, 2012
Poor slowpoke, myopic minds
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by zoedicus: 1:05am On Dec 11, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: my 300 is a lot of .. sorry bunch of people.. you must have the means and wherewithal (YES I finally used that word grin) why not take the wedding some place they cannot afford to get to.. Bahamas.. cool
ur reasoning is. . .suicidal. If he cant afford to feed d "i hear i come", where will he get the wherewithal to do that bahamas thing?
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by osifred(m): 1:12am On Dec 11, 2012
some-girl:

how so? when they don't they know the couple?

Check the meaning of uninvited guest and gate crasher.

My sister got wedded last two month the husband underestimated the number of well wishers from my paternal and maternal family (before you star shouting, we are africans and family members count) but for my quick intervention it could have being something as I gave out my two canopies. For goodness sake I wouldn't let my extended family members outside because there names were not in a gadamn VIP list.

@op u must make provision for both invited and uninvited guest. Lets say you boss at work wasn't on the list and he showed up, will it be fair to bounce him or you invited just him and he came with a friend?

Bottom line don't create enemies for yourself because you want a classic wedding. On a lighter mood. The more the merrier

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Turbocharged: 1:53am On Dec 11, 2012
JeSoul: Since you'll be in naija it may be harder but it is possible
-Warn your friends/invitees ahead that it will be invitation only
-Have a complete list of invited guests at the door and enforce it by -
-Hiring several bouncers/name checkers/security for 300 people (thats a lot of people to control)
-make sure you use non-family members/friends who cannot be talked into allowing people whose names are not on the list in

Don't allow roaches and leeches looking for free food & booze to invade one of the most special days in your life. These people are troublemakers and have no stake in making sure your day goes hitch-free and hence more likely to misbehave. Goodluck & congrats.

because u see small change for ur pocket that's why u refer to humans as ROACHES & LEECHES.
Na wa for nigerians.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by rickross2: 4:04am On Dec 11, 2012
zinfly: I need suggestions please. i am getting married soon and would like 300 guest maximum. i have already been advised by a few friends that they will be bringing their friends.

Firstly i find that rude as i understand weddings are meant for close friends and family.

I am considering getting bouncer and security.

Is this acceptable in Nigeria.

MY FRIEND, DONT BE RIDICULOUS, THIS IS NIGERIA, AFRICA, AND NOT A WHITE MANS LAND...
NO MATTER THE AMOUNT OF BOUNCERS USED, UNINVITED GUESTS WILL COME TO YOUR WEDDING WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

CAN U TELL ME WHY U DONT WANT MORE THAN 300 PEOPLE? ARE YOU THAT STUPID AND STINGY? OR IS THIS THE ONLY THING U LEARNT FROM YOUR WHITE SLAVE MASTERS?

THIS IS AFRIKKA FOR GODS SAKE. PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GONNA COME TO YOUR WEDDING UNINVITED. THEY ARE NOT COMING TO BEG YOU FOR FOOD, BUT IF THEY SEE FOOD THEY WILL FORKING EAT, AND IF THERE'S NO FOOD THEY WILL FORKING GO.

TAKE THIS XMAS FOR EXAMPLE. I AM IGBO AND I LOVE MY CULTURE/TRADITION. I HAVE SPENT ALOT OF MONEY BUYING DRINKS AND FOOD ITEMS THAT I WILL SHARE TO PEOPLE THAT WILL VISIT ME IN THE VILLAGE THIS XMAS. 90% OF THESE PEOPLE WILL COME UNINVITED, AND I AM NOT GOING TO CHASE THEM AWAY FOR ANY REASONS WHATSOEVER.

THEY ARE NOT COMING TO BEG ME FOR FOOD, BUT WHEN THEY COME I EXPECT TO SERVE THEM FOOD AND DRINKS, WHETHER I AM IN THHE HOUSE OR NOT, ANYONE WHO VISITS ME WILL BE PROPERLY TAKEN CARE OF. WHEN THEY ARE GOING IF I HAVE ANY GIFTS I WILL GIVE THEM. I PERSONALLY HOST OUR VILLAGE WOMEN EVERY DECEMBER 26TH AND NEW YEAR DAY IS FOR OUR VILLAGE MEN. ALL THESE COSTS ME SO MUCH MONEY, BUT I AM HAPPY TO DO IT BC ITS FUN. HOW WOULD U FEEL IF U ARE THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD AND NO HUMAN BEING VISITS YOUR HOME? THEN U WILL BE HAPPY? MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS THAT U DONT LIKE CROWD?

WELL WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT PLACES SO DIFFERENT THINGS WORKS FOR US. I LOVE PEOPLE, I CANT IMAGINE TURNING RICH OR POOR GUESTS AWAY DURING MY WEDDING. MY TRADITIONAL WEDDING WAS IN CAPE COST OF GHANA AND I SET A LASTING LEGACY IN THAT PLACE. U ONLY DO THESE THINGS ONCE, SO THERES NO NEED BEING STINGY. IF YOU ARE NOT READY TO ENTERTAIN GUESTS THAT MEASN U NEVER REACH TO SETTLE DOWN. I BELIEVE IF A SENATOR OR MILLIONAIRE COMES TO YOUR WEDDING UNINVITED YOU WONT TURN HIM AWAY?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by rickross2: 4:08am On Dec 11, 2012
osifred:

Check the meaning of uninvited guest and gate crasher.

My sister got wedded last two month the husband underestimated the number of well wishers from my paternal and maternal family (before you star shouting, we are africans and family members count) but for my quick intervention it could have being something as I gave out my two canopies. For goodness sake I wouldn't let my extended family members outside because there names were not in a gadamn VIP list.

@op u must make provision for both invited and uninvited guest. Lets say you boss at work wasn't on the list and he showed up, will it be fair to bounce him or you invited just him and he came with a friend?

Bottom line don't create enemies for yourself because you want a classic wedding. On a lighter mood. The more the merrier

God bless you, you talk like a real African, not those AMERICAN WANABE...
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 4:09am On Dec 11, 2012
Says the guy named Rick Ross....

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by LeJeun3: 5:17am On Dec 11, 2012
Like most people have said, its unAfrican and will cause more harm than good.
However, I'll suggest U change the weddin day and time. Eg: Thursday 4:30pm
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by henryblaze25(m): 5:47am On Dec 11, 2012
I think what u plan doing won't work here in Nigeria, even Basketmouth and funke tried it but it didn't work 4 dem. So just bear d anger 4 just that day, don't b surprised the uninvited guest might surpass D invited once
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 11, 2012
On my wedding day, all uninvited people will be beaten to a pulp by the thugs at the door and I will make sure the venue of the reception is far to the gate. I so much hate gate crashers. Period!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by ikmuan(m): 6:27am On Dec 11, 2012
Very simple! If u stay in lagos, av ur wedding @ ur hood n fix ur reception very very far from the venue of d wedding, mayb like V.I, Ifako, Magodo,Sango etc. considering d cost of transport, it wil scare many uninvited guest. Only ur invited guest will want to honour dat distance.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by AK481(m): 6:34am On Dec 11, 2012
This op sef,na wa for you oo!

First thing you should know is;most people you expect to show up for weddings,end up disappointing you,while those you don't xpect to come end up making your day.

Wedding is no longer a wasteful venture these day,it has now moved to a mega investment industry.wen I had mine,I pumped about 5milla but made about 12milla(both cash and gift inclusive,currently conteplating divorce grin.

So, I suggest you stop that poor man mentality,because you might be creating more enimity from even your invited guest whose mother you want to send home.

Above all,I ll sugest you create a section for your invited guest and leave out another section at the back,fairly decorated,so they can get a taste of the item 7,so they can drop their gift.

The theme of a wedding is;the more the merrier.

Thank you!
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Enigift: 6:43am On Dec 11, 2012
Its a great thing u want to do.my Sister did her wedding in a garden the reception had bearly started when little boys n young men entered d venue n started taking away food n drinks on d table n beggers even entered n were begging people right inside d garden
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 11, 2012
bennie1980: Your action is Un-African and will only create enemies for you.

Well said. Doing that means generating more enemies for himself or herself
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 11, 2012
zinfly:

yeah we have all the names of those coming. We printed out 200 card. My parent and in laws have been reasonable and seem to respect our wishes as they have a list of all the people who have RSVP and kept the names. Our problem is the so called young friends. They seem to get out of control and tell everyone they meet.

Your reasons is Good but you have to understand that this is africa and Nigeria for that matter, your young friends telling others is good because they are proud and happy that their friend is getting married, is a Nigerian thing. Belive me that some people from your village you didn't invite will still show up that day especially those elderly men and believe me when I say that you don't want to offend them.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by postemail: 7:32am On Dec 11, 2012
fittty: Why don't you want them there? Or are you broke? undecided
Why do folks have this kinda weird reasoning? She has decided to invite only 300 people, and that's it! Everything ain't about money, you numbnut!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by 5much(m): 8:00am On Dec 11, 2012
dis is nigeria. Ur plan may not work except u'r strict.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by obi123: 8:10am On Dec 11, 2012
well my brother got married and wanted just 200 people and he achieved it, he had exactly 200 chairs and got a hall that could only accommodate that. When people called to confirm he explained it to them, he told them if they brought guests then they would have to sit on the floor.The wedding invite had an insert containing the menu so prior to the wedding he had them choose what they wanted to eat as in their wedding meal was pre-ordered.Table sittings was followed to the letter this made it easy to serve
Result- VICTORY!!!! i couldn't believe it , it was so orderly, everyone got goody bags
so if you came with who was not on the IV, not only will they have any sit, they will not eat and they will clearly stand out as havent not been invited.
i couldn't blame him, he could only afford to cater for 200 people and he wasn't going to go broke feeding the nation just because he is getting married

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Obstey01: 8:54am On Dec 11, 2012
Kashif: When I wedded, I made it clear to guests that they should come alone. Many called to clarify, and I was firm! We wanted a maximum of 200 guests, and that was what we got! Many complained but I did not give a damn. People should learn to respect invitations. In abroad, you dont try it. If you get there, you will see the names of all the guests and their allocated tables. If your name is not there, you were not invited, and not wanted.

Last weekend, a friend 'invited' me to his friend's wedding. I declined, and gave him my reason(s). It is wrong. angry
just as you said, descipline needs to be introduced to our society any dats the reasom I too don't attend functions am not invited to. But even the western world get to give their guest d previledge to bring a date/friend (You check the I.V. whether or not you'll be coming with a date). You won't just expect me to come, sit and watch for the whole day! Plus its Unafrican
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by gbigbega: 8:54am On Dec 11, 2012
Its one of the best days of your life. why would you want anything to ruin it. It will only cost you some extra money thats all. You will have to decide if you want to keep the extra money or ruin your wedding because, i tell you, those invited will also feel offended and consider you rude if you intruduce bouncers. This is africa my friend.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by zinfly: 9:04am On Dec 11, 2012
rick.ross:

MY FRIEND, DONT BE RIDICULOUS, THIS IS NIGERIA, AFRICA, AND NOT A WHITE MANS LAND...
NO MATTER THE AMOUNT OF BOUNCERS USED, UNINVITED GUESTS WILL COME TO YOUR WEDDING WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

CAN U TELL ME WHY U DONT WANT MORE THAN 300 PEOPLE? ARE YOU THAT STUPID AND STINGY? OR IS THIS THE ONLY THING U LEARNT FROM YOUR WHITE SLAVE MASTERS?

THIS IS AFRIKKA FOR GODS SAKE. PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GONNA COME TO YOUR WEDDING UNINVITED. THEY ARE NOT COMING TO BEG YOU FOR FOOD, BUT IF THEY SEE FOOD THEY WILL FORKING EAT, AND IF THERE'S NO FOOD THEY WILL FORKING GO.

TAKE THIS XMAS FOR EXAMPLE. I AM IGBO AND I LOVE MY CULTURE/TRADITION. I HAVE SPENT ALOT OF MONEY BUYING DRINKS AND FOOD ITEMS THAT I WILL SHARE TO PEOPLE THAT WILL VISIT ME IN THE VILLAGE THIS XMAS. 90% OF THESE PEOPLE WILL COME UNINVITED, AND I AM NOT GOING TO CHASE THEM AWAY FOR ANY REASONS WHATSOEVER.

THEY ARE NOT COMING TO BEG ME FOR FOOD, BUT WHEN THEY COME I EXPECT TO SERVE THEM FOOD AND DRINKS, WHETHER I AM IN THHE HOUSE OR NOT, ANYONE WHO VISITS ME WILL BE PROPERLY TAKEN CARE OF. WHEN THEY ARE GOING IF I HAVE ANY GIFTS I WILL GIVE THEM. I PERSONALLY HOST OUR VILLAGE WOMEN EVERY DECEMBER 26TH AND NEW YEAR DAY IS FOR OUR VILLAGE MEN. ALL THESE COSTS ME SO MUCH MONEY, BUT I AM HAPPY TO DO IT BC ITS FUN. HOW WOULD U FEEL IF U ARE THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD AND NO HUMAN BEING VISITS YOUR HOME? THEN U WILL BE HAPPY? MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS THAT U DONT LIKE CROWD?

WELL WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT PLACES SO DIFFERENT THINGS WORKS FOR US. I LOVE PEOPLE, I CANT IMAGINE TURNING RICH OR POOR GUESTS AWAY DURING MY WEDDING. MY TRADITIONAL WEDDING WAS IN CAPE COST OF GHANA AND I SET A LASTING LEGACY IN THAT PLACE. U ONLY DO THESE THINGS ONCE, SO THERES NO NEED BEING STINGY. IF YOU ARE NOT READY TO ENTERTAIN GUESTS THAT MEASN U NEVER REACH TO SETTLE DOWN. I BELIEVE IF A SENATOR OR MILLIONAIRE COMES TO YOUR WEDDING UNINVITED YOU WONT TURN HIM AWAY?

My dear, i commend your good work. its lovely for you to feed the nation. But like its said Charity begins at home. if i only want to feed my own, that is my decision. call it stingy or what you may. i am not the government or social security neither does your wasteful government invite their poor to eat everyday. you have sent a standard for your goodness. i am in no way obligated to follow your footsteps. So let me be charitable in my own way. you may feed at xmas but have u no idea what i do for the poor around. its my wedding and want do not uninvited guest . SIMPLE.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by kukus01(m): 10:34am On Dec 11, 2012
my dear am married! and i live in Nigeria!!! wedding in Nigeria is not all about the couple as u must know .......its all about your parents too. are u planning on bouncing your parent's friends and extended families too? you will be shocked at how few your own friends will be at your wedding. i attended a nigerian wedding at chicago last summer precisely august strictly by invitation!!! the couples parents invited many well wishers from naija!!! how many dem wan bounce without IV? Abeg forget dat idea after all your parents will still spend more than you during your wedding sef!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Davido, Tiwa Savage To Perform In Africa’s Largest E-concert / Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? / With Love, From Makydebbie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.