Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,981 members, 7,803,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. (13470 Views)

This Will Make Life Easy In Nigeria / Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? / As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by fiosexy(f): 3:49pm On Dec 11, 2012
1st tym mum, my baby won't let me sleep @ nite wat do i do?
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2012
I only do most of them when hubby's out of town and there's no one to help!

Before I go to bed, I fill her bottle with Juice so if she wakes up for food, I just stick it in her mouth and continue my sleep! embarassed

I only wash once a week. If she runs out of clothes to wear, I go to the nearest shop and buy her something to wear for the day (I know it's unhealthy but wetin I go do nau )

I clean up at night before I go to sleep so when I wake up I just get us ready and off for the day! I hate dusting and mopping in the morning!

I don't cook when hubby's out of town. I eat out . . . Good that I have a child who only eats semi-solids! cool cool
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2012
tEsLim: Yeah women always want to be appreciated. Nobody cares to know how the new family car sitting in the garage arrived. And the house is 100% cash down payment. I bought her car after so much pressure and now I have to gas/fix it too? How the family financial budget keeps rising inexplicably? Yeah and I traded the idea of a BMW/Audi for that family bus and got an average Honda for daily commute. Yes I cook too their mom knows when she met me. I'm still a better cook. But just too busy now. Now I wait 1hour+ for you guys to dress up when we going out. How come you are asking me where Ope's shoes are? A Do I share socks/shoes with him? And how I'm almost an outcast in my own house. You want African Magic, Kids want Carton Network and you guy see me as a boring guy that watches CNN/EuroNews/Bloomberg/Channels TV ... There is a lot of 'cheeky' tricks I put up with too.. we just don't talk about it much. Ofcourse I'm not a superman so something must have been happening behind the scene.

Those are challenges of being a father/husband.

Appreciate me too!

Well the above is kinda joke. half truth, half joke. I do a lot too sha. Change diapers, they prefer me take their bath. Mom is easily provoked and beats them up. Dont know why they cry more when she baths them. Always complains about soap getting in their eyes but with me no. They're boys so its more fun for us to go out together, shop together. I watch Ben10 too. Though I'm more into older cartoons like Vultron.

Mtcccccccheeeeeeeeeew!

Most women contribute financially in the home, but there's only so much a man can do to help his wife take care of the kids, especially if they are infants!
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by WHIZBRO(m): 3:57pm On Dec 11, 2012
Okay my turn(dad)
I earn six figures from my own biz... hmmmm, i barely spend four figures, i get home by six(i'm late according to madam) but money does not fall from heaven now and i go fly reach house. Then wife says we have to go to church, i tell her i'm tired(i've saved some weed in my suit pocket, i just want them away from the house so i can get stoned). She fires me a look that quickly tell me i either go or am banned from the BED for a long time, i quickly arrange go church..... the baby is crying , honey what is that aljazeera you are watchinig they are showing fire in the word now.....
NIGHT- junior is crying, honey attend to her,,, hen ehnme me aamm going to work tommorow, it could have been a divorce letter the way she interpretes it.... my lufe suckss+(false), actually i love doing all that and a week without it, i will be miserable... hate i cant get stonrd again embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by tEsLim(m): 4:03pm On Dec 11, 2012
Yeah still boils down to how you always want to be appreciated with you 0.000005% financial commitment/contribution. Because you bought diapers and bath soaps? You do cash payment for the 2nd house then make you know how he go sound like for you bank account (Habby we no deserve holiday home for village?). Yeah old-school cartoon dey oh. Carton no be cartoon.
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 11, 2012
^^ Oya buy the daipers na, let's see if you'll still have money for all those hanging outs with your guys! tongue^^

2 Likes

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
Boy did I/ do I do short cuts.

Living in Obodo oyibo with no house girls and boys you definitely must do short cuts to keep your sanity.

Frozen waffles and pancakes are a constant in my freezer,pop them in the toaster and microwave and breakfast is ready with a cup of ovaltine

I found out that there is nothing wrong with eating breakfast for dinner either
Scrambled eggs with waffles ,a cup of ovaltine,dinner is ready some nights

I roast chicken,whole or drumsticks almost every Sunday morning or Saturday night to last the whole week
I cook a huge pot of stew once in 4 or 6 weeks divvy them up into containers to freeze with one in the fridge
The cooked white rice on Sunday will last till Wednesday
Pizza occasionally grabbed from a drive through window will not kill anybody,add salad on the side ,balanced diet don land
Slaving for hours on a weekday is not my portion
Boil pasta and pour pasta sauce,warm up the baked chicken ,dinner is ready,if no sauce,use stew

White rice wey don reach past 3 days,you re arrange am to okoro fried rice grin
Just dice onions and stir fry ,add Maggi,soy sauce,some stew ,pour the rice inside and voila,the old rice has been re baptized
Works well with pasta too

Fry plenty plantain and store in fridge,warm am add chicken,dinner is served
I will not spend more than 10 minutes in the kitchen on a weekday
Weekend is for shopping and cooking,after that or if we run out,you Berra eat bread or cabin biscuit and drink ovaltine and manage till Saturday

7 Likes

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by damiso(f): 6:22pm On Dec 11, 2012
babyosisi: Boy did I/ do I do short cuts.

Living in Obodo oyibo with no house girls and boys you definitely must do short cuts to keep your sanity.

Frozen waffles and pancakes are a constant in my freezer,pop them in the toaster and microwave and breakfast is ready with a cup of ovaltine

I roast chicken,whole or drumsticks almost every Sunday morning or Saturday night to last the whole week
I cook a huge pot of stew once in 4 or 6 weeks divvy them up into containers to freeze with one in the fridge
Pizza occasionally grabbed from a drive through window will not kill anybody,add salad on the side ,balanced diet don land
Boil pasta and pour pasta sauce,warm up the baked chicken ,dinner is ready,if no sauce,use stew

Just dice onions and stir fry ,add Maggi,soy sauce,some stew ,pour the rice inside and voila,the old rice has been re baptized

Weekend is for shopping and cooking,after that or if we run out,you Berra eat bread or cabin biscuit and drink ovaltine and manage till Saturday

Yes o.More than 10 mins in the kitchen on a workin weekday is a no no.On mat leave at the mo so hubby is enjoyin sum perks of having a housewife for the time being.Thank God for the person who invented the freezer and microwave.And also pasta sauce and some sharp sharp food like fish fingers and chicken nuggets.Kids are so easy to feed its hubby that makes me cook soup and the likes.
When he is out of town am on proper kitchen holiday cos me i dont mind eating oyinbo food.Its him that has to eat okele(swallow).Thankfully he makes them himself as long as there is soup so dedicate one day to okra,ogbono,efo riro,efo elegusi ,stew etc.So its just bring a bowl out and microwave.

1 Like

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 11, 2012
WHIZBRO: Then wife says we have to go to church, i tell her i'm tired(i've saved some weed in my suit pocket, i just want them away from the house so i can get stoned). [

grin

1 Like

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by scorpiogal(f): 6:25pm On Dec 11, 2012
babyosisi: Boy did I/ do I do short cuts.

grin grin grin
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by chii8(f): 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2012
Hmmmm...,i used to think am the only bad mum out there,my dauta always cry wen am bathn her n brushn her teeth,ds cos am always in a hurry to go to work,my son prefers my hubby bathn him...they waste much tym doing dat,
theres another time pls help if you can,my kids takes most of my tym dat wen am back frm wrk,i v little or no tym 4 my hubby,hw do i go abt it?(my kids r rily takn all tym)
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 11, 2012
chii8: Hmmmm...,i used to think am the only bad mum out there,my dauta always cry wen am bathn her n brushn her teeth,ds cos am always in a hurry to go to work,my son prefers my hubby bathn him...they waste much tym doing dat,
theres another time pls help if you can,my kids takes most of my tym dat wen am back frm wrk,i v little or no tym 4 my hubby,hw do i go abt it?(my kids r rily takn all tym)

Get a nanny / friends/ relatives to sit for you,
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by damiso(f): 6:38pm On Dec 11, 2012
chii8: Hmmmm...,i used to think am the only bad mum out there,my dauta always cry wen am bathn her n brushn her teeth,ds cos am always in a hurry to go to work,my son prefers my hubby bathn him...they waste much tym doing dat,

I Know its hard but the easiest thing is to try to enforce a sleep routine.Dont know how old your kids but believe me the only way you can have time for yourself and hubby is if they sleep in good time.I am goin to be realistic and say latest by 9 pm.Mine are often down by 8pm tho my baby still wakes up for a feed like 12am.I am tryin to set up a routine for him for when i go back to work.Start winding them down with say like a bath or switchin off the tv.Read a book or generally just stay in their room with low lights.Warm milk also helps tho not too sure if that would work in naija as i struggle with that in the summer.Eventually they will associate that routine with bed time.I dont even know how i would cope if my kids dont sleep on time.The days my daughter stays up late i am just so grumpy.

1 Like

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2012

My kids are older
I need to write a manual for you younger moms to help make your lives simpler
It is tough juggling family and work when the kids are younger
There was a period I had no Choice but bathe them at night and do face and bottom wiping in the mornings before hearding out or I couldn't make it out
Don't stress out over the things you couldn't get done,the heavens will not fall
You couldn't do the dishes at night,do them in the morning
You fed them cereal for dinner and so what,they will still grow up healthy
the good news is that they eventually grow up and you wonder how the time flew.enjoy them now,take lots and lots of pictures
Find time to play in the park.Good you have a supportive husband that helps with bathing,many Nigerian men don't do that.
Your kids will remember the things you did with them not what you bought for them
They will remember when you taught them to ride a bike,roller skate,play ball,they will remember feeding the ducks by the lake or going to the library to read
They will remember the road trips and the amusement park
They will remember the story telling time while you all snuggled up in a blanket
They will not care a thing about the designer shoes and dresses and expensive toys
I am speaking from experience

7 Likes

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Coldfeet(f): 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2012
Oh my goodness!!! LORD have mercy!! I thank God o! I guess am super woman then Never will I compromise on my children's health and wellbeing. Anyway am not a career woman so got LOTS of time! Never too tired.

1 Like

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Coldfeet(f): 8:11pm On Dec 11, 2012
Oh my goodness!!!
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by mrscolite(f): 9:26pm On Dec 11, 2012
My only shortcut is I don't give her a wash everyday..one day on one day off except we going out. Honestly,as a single mum with no help I don't even know how I do it. smiley
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 12, 2012
You got me laughing hard grin it's a guilt thread and nobody will judge us....lol
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 12, 2012
@ Othonek,

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Please please please I take God beg you this one has passed short cut you are endangering the life of your children
Overdosing them with drugs so you can dance at an owanbe? shocked shocked shocked
How would you like to be drugged for someone's convenience
May God help you
Please don't do that again,it is criminal,you may kill them by so doing
Don't even repeat such to the hearing of anybody
Infact change handle quick quick
This is nothing to be proud of lai lai
If you were out here and i knew you,I might personally turn you over to the authorities for the safety of those children
Unbelievable
Did you carry those children in your womb or you bought them from a baby factory in Onitsha where you could go and purchase more
God forbid !

1 Like

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 12:47am On Dec 12, 2012
You just made it a big deal with the bolded..... nobody's proud of doing all these things we are all talking about.... the kids are fine and she knows better not to go that again..... she's just sharing it...she's not the first poster here to induce her kids to sleep.

No child services please or we'd all be in a 4 mirrored room with light flashing on us lipsrsealed
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 12:51am On Dec 12, 2012
jidegirl12: You just made it a big deal with the bolded..... nobody's proud of doing all these things we are all talking about.... the kids are fine and she knows better not to go that again..... she's just sharing it...she's not the first poster here to induce her kids to sleep.

No child services please or we'd all be in a 4 mirrored room with light flashing on us lipsrsealed

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Have you drugged your kids before?
Please answer me
It is a thought that has never ever crossed my mind no matter how noisy they were
It is a criminal offense to knowingly overdose someone what more children
I didn't know amongst Nigerians it is regarded as nothing,no big deal
So this is common practice amongst the Nigerian mothers in Nigeria? shocked shocked shocked
OMG
I am almost certain that if she did it once she has done it again when similar occasions arose
Lord have mercy
No wonder our country is messed up,more than I thought
The sort of things people condone and excuse
The topic is about short cuts with kids and people are talking about feeding and bathing and throwing away soiled clothes and a woman admits she sedated her children with drugs and you call it no big deal?
Do you have an idea how much over the limit it takes to kill an infant due to their smaller body weight?
And when the kid dies they will look for a neighbor to blame it on
Your response is actually more shocking than the original post I responded to
Unbelievable
People came down on those FB killers that drugged and raped Cynthia then come to find out Nigerian mothers drug their own children for their pleasure and it is no biggie?
God forbid bad things
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 1:12am On Dec 12, 2012
Moderator please remove the othenoks and babyosisi's post where she quoted her o!

Ah! the thing don tire me!

@ babyosisi hehehe if you know my profession you'd know better I dare not do that or forgotten in jail!
No I haven't done that before.

Lets just forget it will ya? And stop alarming on it.... she knows not to do that again! It's okay! Please madam embarassed
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 1:14am On Dec 12, 2012
Now the thread has been derailed and everybody will run away now embarassed why can't we loosen up for once on NL?

2 Likes

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 5:20am On Dec 12, 2012
Too ashamed to admit mine embarassed
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Tgirl4real(f): 6:30am On Dec 12, 2012
jidegirl12:
You got me laughing hard grin it's a guilt thread and nobody will judge us....lol

Haa!!! Jgirl, I can't believe this. shocked

I get d tone of the thread, but anything that poses a threat to our children's lives or development should be a NO NO.

I remembered when someone asked me to give my baby her cough syrup when she wasn't coughing so that she could sleep and not disturb me (note: not overdose o), u need to see the look I gave him.

D only drug I give my baby randomely is paracetamol. Anything beyond that, I take extra precaution. I don't want my baby growing up with any form of abnormality caused by me or my negligence. I go around with that fear always.
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Nobody: 6:43am On Dec 12, 2012
!
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by dominique(f): 9:44am On Dec 12, 2012
I don't know why osisi had to single out othenok's post about sedating her baby as if she was the only one that mentioned it. Is it because she's based in Nigeria or what's with all the ish about Nigeria being messed up got to do with all that? The op even stated that she gave her baby flu medicine or you convieniently missed that cos she's uk based. Even women in your beloved US of A are capable of doing worse. Some women even admitted to worse on oprah. Don't tell me you've not heard of junkie mums that abandon their babies and go partying all night. Don't you watch crime shows on investigative discovery where parents do despicable things to their children and make it look like an accident or kidnap? Who do we blame for such attrocities? the American sysyem?
A lot of mothers here will never compromise their children's safety or well-being, but sometimes well oiled machines do develop faults and affect producitvity.
I've done some things I'm not proud of myself (including inducing sleep), doesn't make me a bad mum and I don't think its fair to make someone feel bad about it (to the point of suggesting she bought her baby).

4 Likes

Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by MissIfe(f): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2012
shortcuts have become a habit to me : plaiting once a week (don't try to know what the style is supposed to be on a friday), shower in the evening, and when very tired it's one day on/one day off (I say it's to preserve her skin in winter... grin ), quick fixed dinners and breakfast, I only spend long time cooking on week ends and holidays. I buy clothes that don't need to be ironed, so I make sure they dry very flat and fold them once dry...

When my daughter reached between 12/18 months I started putting her to sleep early at night, she now is in bed before 8pm and is usually sleeping by 8.15pm. This is survival, I need a couple of hours to do what I have to do in the evening.
Re: Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. by Tgirl4real(f): 10:12am On Dec 12, 2012
Miss_Ife: shortcuts have become a habit to me : plaiting once a week (don't try to know what the style is supposed to be on a friday), shower in the evening, and when very tired it's one day on/one day off (I say it's to preserve her skin in winter... grin ), quick fixed dinners and breakfast, I only spend long time cooking on week ends and holidays. I buy clothes that don't need to be ironed, so I make sure they dry very flat and fold them once dry...

When my daughter reached between 12/18 months I started putting her to sleep early at night, she now is in bed before 8pm and is usually sleeping by 8.15pm. This is survival, I need a couple of hours to do what I have to do in the evening.

lol. I get the plaiting of hair bit. Some times I make her hair on the way to school or party, of course with one breas.t stuck in her mouth. That was when she was younger though. Now, she has to sleep or u really pacify her and you must also be very patient before you can make her hair. grin

I had to have the hair cut low after her first birthday claiming plaiting the hair gives her bumps, but we all know it's cos of the stress mainly. She's making it back now cos she sees other girls with fine hair, but I don't get to do the stress courtesy of my sweet sis that helps out.

Another short cut I do is quick fix meals. Sometimes, I don't get around to making her ewedu that she loves so much or potato porridge, so she has to make do with taking cereal 2x in a day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's The Greatest LESSONS You Learnt From Your Parents / Is It Advisable To Tell My Wife How Much I Earn Per Month? / How To Help A Child To Improve His/her Creative Ability

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.