Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,267 members, 7,780,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:18 PM

What Would You Remember Your Father For? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Would You Remember Your Father For? (8346 Views)

Let's See How Old You Are: Can You Remember This chewing gum? / Daughter Kills Father For Molesting Her / What Will You Remember Your Mother For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by Lollycutie(f): 9:29am On Dec 13, 2012
My dad was and still d love of my life,his place in my heart is special.He had d cutest smile and loved me to a fault.rest in peace dad,u're alwaz missed.
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by sweetsmalsis(f): 12:59pm On Dec 13, 2012
for my monthly allowance...love u dad grin wink grin cheesy
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by VULCAN(m): 1:16pm On Dec 13, 2012
This is a very touching post. Just generates wistful feelings. Those that have very positive reports about their father are the lucky ones. I must confess, I envy you. None of them know the pain of a bad father. Some of us have only horror stories. My siblings and I have no good memories of him.

Well for those of us that lost out in the good daddy sweepstakes, we must ensure that we do not repeat the wrongs done to us to our own kids.

3 Likes

Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by blackwood(m): 4:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
Thank God, a thread for Fathers, what can i say,...he made me every being i am today,I remember how we drive around in his volkwagen passat when he wants me to stop crying, he brings pastries to me at break time in primary school, teaches me things from the bible, teaches me maths and physics at home, comes visiting when i was in boarding school, and even university. Daddy i love U, sorry my mum was so stupid not to see how wonderful you are.
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by blackwood(m): 5:02pm On Dec 13, 2012
brownlolly: I lost my father in October after a yr old battle with Stroke that left the whole right side of his body paralyzed. He was 72 yrs old. Before I was 16, I wished my father could just just fall and die. We weren't so close. Now I'm 23, I know better. He never bought us gifts or took us out, but he paid in excess when it came to our education. To him, our education was more important than anything else. Before he fell sick, he used to come to our rooms to greet us. After greetings, the next thing he used to ask was, "What are you going to eat?"... He wasn't a successful husband (married twice and divorced twice), but he was a loving father. My mom left in 1995 and he never married another woman. He took care of us 3kids and now we're all done with university. I was reading his condolence register and I saw many wonderful things people wrote about him. I believe what i read because they all wrote almost the same thing. He was humble, generous, honest (he was an external auditor and I KNOW my father never took a bribe), easy-going...we had arguments and he always let us express ourselves. I love body art and my father didn't have a problem with that, because he knew the kind of kids he had. He allowed us choose whatever career path we wanted for ourselves. I wanted to be a pilot...he supported me, I changed to Law, Accountancy, Economics, and finally Psychology...he let me discover myself without pushing me. He was a wonderful father. He was totally amazing. I miss him so much.
RIP J. O. S. Dairo

nice words bro! God bless you.
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2012
His sacrifial character and always made sure we got the best of everything no matter how difficult it was for him..
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by Solozzo(m): 8:33pm On Dec 13, 2012
VULCAN: This is a very touching post. Just generates wistful feelings. Those that have very positive reports about their father are the lucky ones. I must confess, I envy you. None of them know the pain of a bad father. Some of us have only horror stories. My siblings and I have no good memories of him.

Well for those of us that lost out in the good daddy sweepstakes, we must ensure that we do not repeat the wrongs done to us to our own kids.

So sad to hear. If your dad is still alive try to get close to understand him a bit more. Sometimes these ""bad" fathers acted ignorantly or as a way of coping with the stresses of their lives, or just personality difficulties. Begin by talking to people who knew hom well, enquiring about his good qualities. Try find out if he treated people around badly as well. If your dad is passed on you still do this evaluation, understanding that no one was ever trained to be a parent. People just acted on instinct.

When i was still dependent on my dad I use to see him as tyrannical but when I became independent and he could not hurt me anymore, I did this kind of evaluation that helped me know him more. I realized he had narcistic and obsessive personality traits that made him behave so tough. I also learnt he could be nice at times, respects your independence and choices in life in terms of professional and life partner choices, and an intelligent man. We beame great friends
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by Solozzo(m): 8:42pm On Dec 13, 2012
blackwood:

nice words bro! God bless you.

That's nice. It is always a good idea to make it up with your dad, no matter how bad he appeared to be. It creates in you a sense of maturity and inner peace . Remember what Obama did, and he wrote dreams of my father, a biography of his early life
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by VULCAN(m): 10:11pm On Dec 13, 2012
@Solozzo
Thanks for your genuine advice. But truthfully there is a big difference btw a tough parent, a dysfunctional parent and an evil one. Those who have either of the fmr will easily recover. Only those who have the latter can understand the horror. As Africans we like to romanticise the parental role as if an occultist or nymphomanic is endowed with a parental spirit just because they have a child. There are 7 billion people out there. Some are really evil. That's all.
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by demmyboy1(m): 2:56am On Dec 14, 2012
;DFor ever giving birth to me....
Re: What Would You Remember Your Father For? by Nobody: 5:57am On May 15, 2013
For being a good husband to mum.
Taught me how to keep to time and to my words (always d first to get to Church in those days).
For never being a dictator.
His understanding is just beyond comprehension.
His care is just too much that it can be VERY annoying sometimes.
He calls all his children more than they sometimes call him.
Wakes up at midnight and goes round 2 check on us with his torchlight (even when there's light) to deal with any mosquito dat may be feasting on us.
For being a truthful, trustworthy,faithful and transparent husband, father and grandfather (mum nd I know his earnings).
Taught me the ways of God.
I'll remember him for these and many more cos they're just too much to put down. Love u dad and u'll forever be my heroe and may you live 2 enjoy d fruits of ur labour

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sunday Giveaway - Season 1.0 / How To Create Your Own Family Crest / Why Get Married If You Don't Intend To Stop Cheating?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.