Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? (4381 Views)

13 Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos / Popular Misconceptions Europeans And Americans Have About Africa... (lolz) / Were There Fair Africans (non-arabs) In Africa Before The Europeans Came? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2012
If the whites hadn't come, What would have been the fate of the africa? Pipe-borne water, accessible roads,electricity, hospital,science & technology, western education and all those things that makes life easy that we're enjoying today, how would they have come? Living in huts,killing twins, slavery,maltreating women and iwa-acha that our fathers use to do, would they have led to developments? WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE LOOK OF AFRICA TODAY?
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by jantavanta(m): 1:04pm On Dec 14, 2012
I see they still teach this junk in the curriculum of Black Children all-over the world.
They call it Social Studies.
History has been skilfully re-written to write Africa out of history.
The so-called Western Education from the University System is of African Origin.
You could ask: "How did the destruction of Black Civilization come about?"

The Whites came to Africa after "Whitening" Europe, which was occupied by Africans as from 45,000 years ago.

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by StarFlux: 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2012
I actually think before colonization at least in Nigeria, very few were starving/poor. If anything, it has made everything worse. Japan too did not industrialize before they were forced to. Who knows, maybe Africa could've done something similar. Though, Africa was hard to travel in and people weren't as united, apart from a couple of great kingdoms.

So, who knows? Maybe or maybe not. But I wouldn't say industrialization is synonymous with development. Different people, different needs and interests.

4 Likes

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by pleep(m): 11:17pm On Dec 14, 2012
^ you are right. The standard of living in Africa has been steadily decreasing ever since the first European contact, despite the modernization brought by Europeans. So it really depends on what you guys consider development.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 11:52pm On Dec 14, 2012
So you guys are saying that white man's coming is of more harm than good? Please explain!

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 11:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
jantavanta: I see they still teach this junk in the curriculum of Black Children all-over the world.
They call it Social Studies.
History has been skilfully re-written to write Africa out of history.
The so-called Western Education from the University System is of African Origin.
You could ask: "How did the destruction of Black Civilization come about?"

The Whites came to Africa after "Whitening" Europe, which was occupied by Africans as from 45,000 years ago.
where did the white men came from? Were they formally in the moon? grin
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 2:10am On Dec 15, 2012
what a slave mentality.

the question is how much would africa develop if whites didnt come to Africa.

certainly SOMALIA would have developed if they didnt free our black slaves and stoped bombing us everytime we have an islamist government.
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by pleep(m): 2:12am On Dec 15, 2012
I agree it is a slave mentality. Despite being a dumbass, you speak alot of truth about africans.
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 2:13am On Dec 15, 2012
pleep: I agree it is a slave mentality. Despite being a dumbass, you speak alot of truth about africans.

I speak the truth, i speak truth to power.

I am SOMALI, the things i say are true.
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 3:21am On Dec 15, 2012
somalia8:

I speak the truth, i speak truth to power.

I am SOMALI, the things i say are true.
you're very dumb and never speak any truth. Do you think ur fore-fathers would ever have left hunting and try discovering electricity?

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 3:23am On Dec 15, 2012
Antivirus92: you're very dumb and never speak any truth. Do you think ur fore-fathers would ever have left hunting and try discovering electricity?

dear monkey. If you have any idea of history, then you would know that somalis were using cannons before europeans, that northern somalia was fighting with the help of the ottoman empire the ethiopians with guns when whites were taking your people in ships as slaves with your peoples compliance.

you would also know that we were sailing and trading and that we as a people were trading on sail boats commodities that europeans had no access to for thousands of years. forcing europeans to go around the world to find INDIA because arabs/muslims would not let them go through their territory.

Electricity was only invented 200 years ago. Somalis had paper from the chinese who invented it while europeans were living in mudhuts, somalis along with the muslim world were far in advance of the west for the better part of 800 ad to late 1800's. dont let the whites who did achievemetns only 200 years ago make you think they were always ahead of the curve. But then again you are their slave so i wouldnt expect any diffrence. Much of what the west has was because of inventions from ARABS, ASIANS, ETC.

Did you know horners invented coffee, yet whites dont think about that every time they chug down a cup of coffee every morning on their way to work.

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 3:30am On Dec 15, 2012
Ancient Somalis domesticated the camel somewhere between the third millennium and second millennium BC from where it spread to Ancient Egypt and North Africa.[13] In the classical period, the city states of Mosylon, Opone, Malao, Sarapion, Mundus, and Tabae in Somalia developed a lucrative trade network connecting with merchants from Phoenicia, Ptolemic Egypt, Greece, Parthian Persia, Sheba, Nabataea and the Roman Empire. They used the ancient Somali maritime vessel known as the beden to transport their cargo. After the Roman conquest of the Nabataean Empire and the Roman naval presence at Aden to curb piracy, Arab merchants barred Indian merchants from trading in the free port cities of the Arabian Peninsula because of the nearby Roman presence. However, they continued to trade in the port cities of the Somali peninsula, which was free from any Roman threat or spies. The reason for barring Indian ships from entering the wealthy Arabian port cities was to protect and hide the exploitative trade practices of the Somali and Arab merchants in the extremely lucrative ancient Red Sea-Mediterranean Sea commerce. The Indian merchants for centuries brought large quantities of cinnamon from Ceylon and the Far East to Somalia and Arabia. This is said to have been one of the most remarkable secrets of the Red Sea port cities of Arabia and the Horn of Africa in their trade with the Roman and Greek world.[14] The Romans and Greeks believed the source of cinnamon to have been the Somali peninsula but in reality, the highly valued product was brought to Somalia by way of Indian ships.[15][16][17] Through Somali and Arab traders, Indian/Chinese cinnamon was also exported for far higher prices to North Africa, the Near East and Europe, which made the cinnamon trade a very profitable revenue maker, especially for the Somali merchants through whose hands the large quantities were shipped across the ancient sea and land routes.[citation needed]
[edit]

Herodotus spoke of the Macrobians, an ancient people and kingdom postulated to have been located on the Somali peninsula[10][11] during the first millennium BC. They are mentioned as being a nation of people that had mastered longevity with the average Macrobian living till the age of 120. They were said to be the "Tallest and Handsomest of all men".[12] The Persian Emperor Cambyses II upon conquering Ancient Egypt sent ambassadors to Macrobia bringing luxury gifts for the Macrobian king to entice his submission, but instead the Macrobian ruler replied with a challenge for the Persian ruler in the form of an unstrung bow, that if the Persians could manage to string, they would have the right to invade his country, but until then they should thank the gods that the Macrobians never decided to invade their empire.[12]
[edit]

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 3:31am On Dec 15, 2012
For many years, Mogadishu stood as the pre-eminent city in the بلاد البربر, Bilad-al-Barbar ("Land of the Berbers"wink, which was the medieval Arabic term for the Horn of Africa.[21][22][23]
The Sultanate of Mogadishu became the center of Islam on the East African coast, and Somali merchants established a colony in Mozambique to extract gold from the Monomopatan mines in Sofala.[24] In northern Somalia, Adal was in its early stages a small trading community established by the newly-converted Horn of Africa Muslim merchants, who were predominantly Somali according to Arab and Somali chronicles. The century between 1150 and 1250 marked a decisive turn in the role of Islam in Somali history. Following his visit to the city, the 12th century Syrian historian Yaqut al-Hamawi wrote that Mogadishu was inhabited by dark-skinned Berbers, the ancestors of the modern Somalis.[25][26] The Adal Sultanate was now a center of a commercial empire stretching from Cape Guardafui to Hadiya. The Adalites then came under the influence of the expanding Horn African Kingdom of Ifat, and prospered under its patronage. The capital of the Ifat was Zeila, situated in northern present-day Somalia, from where the Ifat army marched to conquer the ancient Kingdom of Shoa in 1270.

The Muslim and Christian communities of modern Somalia and Ethiopia enjoyed friendly relations for centuries. The conquest of Shoa ignited a rivalry for supremacy between the Christian Solomonids and the Muslim Ifatites which resulted in several devastating wars and ultimately ended in a Solomonic victory over the Kingdom of Ifat. Parts of northwestern Somalia came under the rule of the Solomonids in medieval times, especially during the reign of Amda Seyon I (r. 1314-1344). In 1403 or 1415 (under Emperor Dawit I or Emperor Yeshaq I, respectively) measures were taken against the Muslim Sultanate of Adal. The Emperor eventually captured King Sa'ad ad-Din II of the Walashma dynasty in Zeila and had him executed. The Walashma Chronicle, however, records the date as 1415, which would make the Ethiopian victor Emperor Yeshaq I. After the war, the reigning king had his minstrels compose a song praising his victory, which contains the first written record of the word "Somali". Sa'ad ad-Din II's family was subsequently given safe haven at the court of the King of Yemen, where his sons regrouped and planned their revenge on the Solomonids.

The oldest son Sabr ad-Din II build a new capital eastwards of Zeila known as Dakkar and began referring to himself as the King of Adal. He continued the war against the Solomonic Empire. Despite his army's smaller size, he was able to defeat the Solomonids at the battles of Serjan and Zikr Amhara and consequently pillaged the surrounding areas. Many similar battles were fought between the Adalites and the Solomonids with both sides achieving victory and suffering defeat but ultimately Sultan Sabr ad-Din II successfully managed to drive the Solomonic army out of Adal territory. He died a natural death and was succeeded by his brother Mansur ad-Din who invaded the capital and royal seat of the Solomonic Empire and drove Emperor Dawit II to Yedaya where according to al-Maqrizi, Sultan Mansur destroyed a Solomonic army and killed the Emperor. He then advanced to the mountains of Mokha where he encountered a 30,000 strong Solomonic army. The Adalite soldiers surrounded their enemies and for two months besieged the trapped Solomonic soldiers until a truce was declared in Mansur's favour.

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 3:32am On Dec 15, 2012
Later on in the campaign, the Adalites were struck by a catastrophe when Sultan Mansur and his brother Muhammad were captured in battle by the Solomonids. Mansur was immediately succeeded by the youngest brother of the family Jamal ad-Din II. Sultan Jamal reorganized the army into a formidable force and defeated the Solomonic armies at Bale, Yedeya and Jazja. Emperor Yeshaq I responded by gathering a large army and invaded the cities of Yedeya and Jazja but was repulsed by the soldiers of Jamal. Following this success, Jamal organized another successful attack against the Solomonic forces and inflicted heavy casualties in what was reportedly the largest Adalite army ever fielded. As a result, Yeshaq was forced to withdraw towards the Blue Nile over the next five months, while Jamal ad Din's forces pursued them and looted much gold on the way, although no engagement ensued.

After returning home, Jamal sent his brother Ahmad with the Christian battle-expert Harb Jaush to successfully attack the province of Dawaro. Despite his losses, Emperor Yeshaq was still able to continue field armies against Jamal. Sultan Jamal continued to advance further into the Abyssinian heartland. However Jamal upon hearing of Yeshaq's plan to send several large armies to attack three different areas of Adal, including the capital returned to Adal where he fought the Solomonic forces at Harjai and according to al-Maqrizi this is where the Emperor Yeshaq died in battle. The young Sultan Jamal ad-Din II at the end of his reign had outperformed his brothers and forefathers in the war arena and became the most successful ruler of Adal to date. Within a few years, however, Jamal was assassinated by either disloyal friends or cousins around 1432 or 1433, and was succeeded by his brother Badlay ibn Sa'ad ad-Din. Sultan Badlay continued the campaigns of his younger brother and began several successful expeditions against the Christian empire. He recovered the Kingdom of Bali and began preparations of a major Adalite offensive into the Ethiopian Highlands. He successfully collected funding from surrounding Muslim kingdoms as far away as the Kingdom of Mogadishu.[27] These ambitious plans however were thrown out the war chamber when King Badlay died during the invasion of Dawaro. He was succeeded by his son Muhammad ibn Badlay who sent envoys to the Sultan of Mamluk Egypt to gather support and arms in the continuing war against the Christian empire. The Adalite ruler Muhammad and the Solomonic ruler Baeda Maryam agreed to a truce and both states in the following decades saw an unprecedented period of peace and stability.
[edit]

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 3:44am On Dec 15, 2012
somalia8:

dear monkey. If you have any idea of history, then you would know that somalis were using cannons before europeans, that northern somalia was fighting with the help of the ottoman empire the ethiopians with guns when whites were taking your people in ships as slaves with your peoples compliance.

you would also know that we were sailing and trading and that we as a people were trading on sail boats commodities that europeans had no access to for thousands of years. forcing europeans to go around the world to find INDIA because arabs/muslims would not let them go through their territory.

Electricity was only invented 200 years ago. Somalis had paper from the chinese who invented it while europeans were living in mudhuts, somalis along with the muslim world were far in advance of the west for the better part of 800 ad to late 1800's. dont let the whites who did achievemetns only 200 years ago make you think they were always ahead of the curve. But then again you are their slave so i wouldnt expect any diffrence. Much of what the west has was because of inventions from ARABS, ASIANS, ETC.

Did you know horners invented coffee, yet whites dont think about that every time they chug down a cup of coffee every morning on their way to work.

dear hungry chimpanzee, your people invented all these things and with the white man's own put together, somalia is still a hungry, poor,war-torn country. Then ask ur dumb self whether your somalia is really progressing. These arabs will continue brain washing you guys inside the mosque and poverty will wipe you away some day! Tell any first-world arab country despite their oil? Wake up b4 it's too late!
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 3:46am On Dec 15, 2012
Antivirus92: dear hungry chimpanzee, your people invented all these things and with the white man's own put together, somalia is still a hungry, poor,war-torn country. Then ask ur dumb self whether your somalia is really progressing. These arabs will continue brain washing you guys inside the mosque and poverty will wipe you away some day! Tell any first-world arab country despite their oil? Wake up b4 it's too late!

No arab is in somalia who is brain washing us. Is only through you slave world view point that you see the world in the context of slave and master. On the contrary, Somalia is doing well and no one is dying hunger, the famine was over a year ago.

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 3:57am On Dec 15, 2012
somalia8:

No arab is in somalia who is brain washing us. Is only through you slave world view point that you see the world in the context of slave and master. On the contrary, Somalia is doing well and no one is dying hunger, the famine was over a year ago.
Let the truth be told, the whitemen really tried for africa, even though anything with advantage must surely have a disadvantage. The problem with most african nation is poor management.

2 Likes

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by somalia8: 8:36am On Dec 15, 2012
Antivirus92: Let the truth be told, the whitemen really tried for africa, even though anything with advantage must surely have a disadvantage. The problem with most african nation is poor management.

you are a sick person. i dont think whites did anything for africans or any other people. If i give you a dollar and steal ten dollars from you, does that mean you gave me or took from me. People like you only see the dollar given and not the 10 stolen.

Because of capitalism all coutries would eventually buy electricity from companies and buy cars and other services. But giving food for free while taking resources and supportin dictators who sighn off on no bid contracts is the real trillion dollar theft. Even the corporations who dont pay african taxes on the continent and take their non taxed profits overseas are criminals. These companies dont pay hundreds of billions of dollars in taxes to african nations.

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 12:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
somalia8:

you are a sick person. i dont think whites did anything for africans or any other people. If i give you a dollar and steal ten dollars from you, does that mean you gave me or took from me. People like you only see the dollar given and not the 10 stolen.

Because of capitalism all coutries would eventually buy electricity from companies and buy cars and other services. But giving food for free while taking resources and supportin dictators who sighn off on no bid contracts is the real trillion dollar theft. Even the corporations who dont pay african taxes on the continent and take their non taxed profits overseas are criminals. These companies dont pay hundreds of billions of dollars in taxes to african nations.

you are the sick person and not me. You think that they will come and bring u civilisation free of charge? How many helps have u rendered to ur somalian people free of charge?

2 Likes

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
AntiVirus92 Why did you take down your Display Pic of those Yellow azzz Reddish Eyes Son?

The Picture from the Recent Mr Nairaland Contest you Had Posted.

Eyeballs look like they are swimming in a Pool of Female Urine with slight traces of menstrual blood.

And i Thought i got high a lot, Check out this Guy's Post History

Dude is Hilarious.

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 1:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
الملكي فوق الله: AntiVirus92 Why did you take down your Display Pic of those Yellow azzz Reddish Eyes Son?

The Picture from the Recent Mr Nairaland Contest you Had Posted.

Eyeballs look like they are swimming in a Pool of Female Urine with slight traces of menstrual blood.

And i Thought i got high a lot, Check out this Guy's Post History

Dude is Hilarious.
brother, it's the nature of the camera and as you can see from the pic, i didn't have any make- up, not even a better cloth, just a jersey. I like being natural.
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by odumchi: 3:50am On Dec 20, 2012
Antivirus, fine bobo. grin grin

Anyway, I think "develop" is a relative term. Anyway, like Isaac Newton said, a force at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. Therefore, my guess is that, in the areas void of outside influence, things would've remained the same.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 4:42am On Dec 20, 2012
odumchi: Antivirus, fine bobo. grin grin

Anyway, I think "develop" is a relative term. Anyway, like Isaac Newton said, a force at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. Therefore, my guess is that, in the areas void of outside influence, things would've remained the same.
ur first paragraph, is it for mocking or for compliment? Anyway that's what i am if you have ever seen me in real life. I like ur law of inertia,africa would have remained in the bush if not for the whites.
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Nobody: 3:32am On Dec 21, 2012
Antivirus92: brother, it's the nature of the camera and as you can see from the pic, i didn't have any make- up, not even a better cloth, just a jersey. I like being natural.

This Guy is a Legend
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 7:29am On Dec 21, 2012
الملكي فوق الله:

This Guy is a Legend
do you mean legend extra stout?
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 21, 2012
......LmL
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 9:47am On Dec 22, 2012
الملكي فوق الله: ......LmL
answer my question now!
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by odumchi: 3:35pm On Dec 22, 2012
Antivirus92: ur first paragraph, is it for mocking or for compliment? Anyway that's what i am if you have ever seen me in real life. I like ur law of inertia,africa would have remained in the bush if not for the whites.

Na joke I dey joke.

By saying: "Africa would've remained in the bush if not for the whites" you're making it seem as if they are our saviors or our gods.

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 22, 2012
somalia8:

Electricity was only invented 200 years ago. Somalis had paper from the chinese who invented it while europeans were living in mudhuts, somalis along with the muslim world were far in advance of the west for the better part of 800 ad to late 1800's. [size=15pt]dont let the whites who did achievemetns only 200 years ago make you think they were always ahead of the curve. But then again you are their slave so i wouldnt expect any diffrence. Much of what the west has was because of inventions from ARABS, ASIANS, ETC.
[/size]

Antivirus....do you see the last 13 words in the bold above?.

Real Talk

1 Like

Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Antivirus92(m): 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2012
الملكي فوق الله:

Antivirus....do you see the last 13 words in the bold above?.

Real Talk
that guy failed to understand me. What i am saying is that the whitemen really tried for us. Ok,tell me the reason why so many people living in cities don't come back home in the village. Maybe no roads,water,hospital etc in the village. Then imagine a white leaving his developed country and wander into the thick african forest just to bring civilisation to us.
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 22, 2012
.........lol
Re: If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? by pleep(m): 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2012
Antivirus sums up why i hate black ppl.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pharaoh Ramses III Was Black And East African Features Are Indigenous. / Trying To Learn Yoruba! Can You Please Tell Me What The Following Means? / Yoruba imponderables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.