Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) (31943 Views)

All Ile-ife Women Restricted Indoors Tonight / Anambra Is Ancestral Home Of The Igalas / The Ijebu People And Their Ancestral Hometowns In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PeterKbaba: 1:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:
Ma binu mi o s' ako.
I will tell you but not today.

ok but i go remind you soon enough
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 1:50pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by BenGlobal1(m): 1:51pm On Dec 12, 2012
gods u mean cos d is only one GOD
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PeterKbaba: 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:00pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PeterKbaba: 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by ijigbamigb(m): 2:03pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe: Honestly, I don't know why our universities are so fooking lazy angry Do you know how much an online course in Yoruba philosophy can generate for O.A.U?
Seriously I don't think they know what they are missing out. A verifiable religion and culture with so much yoruba literature to learn from. IFA as a discipline should be studied even up to the Post-Graduate Level. It is so painful because even the core materials are been hidden from us.

I just think some IFE elders should remove the Bad ESEs and Publish the good ones for the betterment of our culture and generations to come.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:06pm On Dec 12, 2012
ODU IKA OKANRAN

Ika was cast for Eka,
Okanran was cast for Eka,
who got the message that
Death was on his way to his house
because of his evil deeds.
If Eka didn't want to be killed,
he should sacrifice a sheep
and the black cloth on his body.
He also should cease to be bad,
and should wear white clothing only

from that moment on.
Eka listened, but refused to offer.
Ifa says that this person must desist
from doing bad things, and he should
improve his lousy character.
He would do wise to
always wear white cloths.
The ebo is 1 goat, and the black cloth
the client was wearing.

What does "white clothing" mean??
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:09pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ben Global: gods u mean cos d is only one GOD

no dont lie. SPirituality is infinite concept. there are many Gods.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 12, 2012
ijigbamigb:
Seriously I don't think they know what they are missing out. A verifiable religion and culture with so much yoruba literature to learn from. IFA as a discipline should be studied even up to the Post-Graduate Level. It is so painful because even the core materials are been hidden from us.

I just think some IFE elders should remove the Bad ESEs and Publish the good ones for the betterment of our culture and generations to come.

I disagree because the entire premise of Yoruba philosophy is 'tibi tire l'ada 'le aye'. Taking out what we may consider bad would be akin to removing half of the teachings.

I once heard an ese-ifa in a Yoruba movie that I have looking for which chronicled the adventure of two birds - 'Oloogose and Okin', I am still looking for that 'ese' and maybe even the entire 'Odu' to date.

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0: ODU IKA OKANRAN

Ika was cast for Eka,
Okanran was cast for Eka,
who got the message that
Death was on his way to his house
because of his evil deeds.
If Eka didn't want to be killed,
he should sacrifice a sheep
and the black cloth on his body.
He also should cease to be bad,
and should wear white clothing only

from that moment on.
Eka listened, but refused to offer.
Ifa says that this person must desist
from doing bad things, and he should
improve his lousy character.
He would do wise to
always wear white cloths.
The ebo is 1 goat, and the black cloth
the client was wearing.

What does "white clothing" mean??

Pure character perhaps.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:16pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe:

Pure character perhaps.
Perhaps.
Some people need to wear White to remind themselves in the same way we can use ornaments or place objects in our environment to remind of of anything
Some are more evolved than others and need no concrete reminders some such people are contemptuous of ritual but I think they miss the point.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:20pm On Dec 12, 2012
Odi Meji

"The very tall and powerful Odi,
the very very powerful Odi"
were the ones who cast Ifa
for Eji Odi, on the day
that he went to the market of Ejigbomekun,
on the day also that he wept
because he had no wife.
They instructed Eji Odi to make sacrifice.
"Allright, but what?" was the not
unreasonable question.
They told him to offer
plenty of honey, for if it all fails,
honey's sweetness still will do the trick.
Eji Odi listened and made the sacrifice.
Out of the large amounts of honey
he took to the Awo's, the Awo's took
just a little, and made medicine of it.
As soon as Eji Odi arrived at the market
of Ejigbomekun, he accosted the Chief
of the Market Women, and poured some honey
from the medicine bottle the Awo's gave,
into her private opening;
this unorthodox method did the trick nicely.
Both engaged in intercourse, and Eji Odi
had the time of his life. So did the woman.
The result of this strange encounter was
that most men, arriving from far and wide, wanted
to have intercourse with the Chief Market woman.
She made them all happy, and they loudly sang:
"Leader of Market Women, Chief, let us go!
Sweet honey prevents us
from leaving your market,
sweet honey."

This Metaphysical Odu of sublime meaning is one of the most important
the graphic imagery is neither gratuituous nor coincidental
it is probably best to memorize it

it is worth reflecting on Eji Odi ,his psychology etc .Was he instructed to do as he did?
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 12, 2012
^^^ I can see where the honey pot charm comes from grin

aribisala0:
Perhaps.
Some people need to wear White to remind themselves in the same way we can use ornaments or place objects in our environment to remind of of anything
Some are more evolved than others and need no concrete reminders some such people are contemptuous of ritual[b] but I think they miss the point. [/b]

How?
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:30pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe: ^^^ I can see where the honey pot charm comes from grin

How?
E.g giving up harmful appetites may require drastic changes. A decision to wear white everyday for one month with the right approach can help some people. the how is not really something I can shed light on here
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:38pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by penfold(m): 2:38pm On Dec 12, 2012
naijababe:

I disagree because the entire premise of Yoruba philosophy is 'tibi tire l'ada 'le aye'. Taking out what we may consider bad would be akin to removing half of the teachings.

I once heard an ese-ifa in a Yoruba movie that I have looking for which chronicled the adventure of two birds - 'Oloogose and Okin', I am still looking for that 'ese' and maybe even the entire 'Odu' to date.

@naijababe
search here http://www.ifa-orisha.com/jaaps-ifa-texts/index.html

@aribisala0
I don't usually comment where ignoramuses might interfere but for you I'm breaking that rule.....I RESPECT YOU!!
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:39pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by penfold(m): 2:41pm On Dec 12, 2012
@ aribisala0
do you by any chance have any knowledge of 'Oturadi'?
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:41pm On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Dec 12, 2012
ijigbamigb:
Woman IFA doesn't not contradict your Religion (either Christianity, Islam or whatever).
IFA deals with the Character of all. In tandem with the meaning of 0duduwa (Odu to du Iwa), our culture preaches good virtues, honesty and a pure character. So whether you are a christian or muslim- YOU ARE WELCOME.
Thanks! I appreciate you clarifying without insult.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Mavrick2012: 2:46pm On Dec 12, 2012
3 tins i admire abt most african religions are (1)doesn claim 2b omniscience(2)doent encorage dogmatism(3)nt antagonistic.If we had held unto dis religions am sure d series of challanges confrontin us wouldnt hav bin.VIVA AFRICAN RELIGION

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
penfold: @ aribisala0

do you by any chance have any knowledge of 'Oturadi'?

Do you mean Odu Itura?

i must clarify I am not a Babalawo
emi o kin se jawe jawe grin
I just study Ifa online most days and read some articles I have been given
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:
It will not be well with your mother if you don't run along with your Jehovah.Go and create a Jehovah thread and respect other people
why the insult? Must you show your ill upbringing by insulting some1 u know to be your senior? I gave you a reason why your religion is not popular. I shall not draw the wrath of JEHOVAH on you. I pray rather for mercy.
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:50pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ada Nri1: why the insult? Must you show your ill upbringing by insulting some1 u know to be your senior? I gave you a reason why your religion is not popular. I shall not draw the wrath of JEHOVAH on you. I pray rather for mercy.
you need to learn how to respect people and their beliefs.You persist in bringing Jehovah here which suggests you are either obtuse or a trouble maker

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by PeterKbaba: 2:52pm On Dec 12, 2012
EVEN THE POPE OF ROME, GAVE AUDIENCE TO THE YORUBA, TO SPEAK INFRONT OF ALL WORLDWIDE RELIGION LEADERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oye-hUO5bNU&feature=related
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 2:57pm On Dec 12, 2012
this is ONE translation of

Eji Ogbe

We will sacrifice now first,
for a long life, and when no offering is made
we will not go on, we are
unable to go on unless we now
determine exactly what has to be offered.
Do you see why Ifa follows this strange road?
Make sacrifice for a long life.
"King of a good journey,
be blessed, may we live
another fine year, and when
yet another year comes,
let's celebrate, saying:
King of the good journey, blessings!
Let us call him now.
Call whom?
Call this thin tree
that will live long enough
to grow many leaves, oh yes,
narrow path that will become a highway"
were the ones who cast for
"He who cleared the path first,
that's Ejiogbe".
They say it is his time do die,
but he says: "That bad news
I haven't received yet, call Oyeku-Meji!"
Oyeku-Meji says, it is not my turn yet, rather Iwori-Meji.
Iwori-Meji says Odi-Meji's time is up, try him.
Odi-Meji says I'll make gladly room for Irosun-Meji.
Irosun-Meji says no not me, you mean Owonrin-Meji.
Owonrin-Meji says I'm sorry, wrong number, dial Obara-Meji.
Obara-Meji says the line is engaged, try Okanran-Meji.
Okanran-Meji says good heavens no, you need Ogunda-Meji.
Ogunda-Meji says no way, call Osa-Meji.
Osa-Meji says I'm busy, but Ika-Meji is free.
Ika-Meji says get my neighbour: Oturupon-Meji.
Oturupon-Meji says I can't come, Otura-Meji will come instead.
Otura-Meji says not me. I go away, try the next.
Irete-Meji says it's Ose-Meji you want.
Ose-Meji says I am not home, try next door.
Ofun-Meji says right house but wrong person, Ose'Tura
will go before me to carry my stuff.
However, Ose'Tura has two thousand Awo's
to write the signs of the road in front of him,
and one to make the sacrifice,
two thousands chances to avoid death,
and one to make medicine, which means
that he must gain access to the animal kingdom.
I am the one on whose shoulders rests the task
to find the one who can release me from this heavy death:
goat, please go and take my place,
let me free so all of you will see me
next year again, and we will celebrate this,
and say: "Blessings be with you,
King of the good journey!"
Make sacrifice for immortality,
that's what the Awo does.

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by penfold(m): 2:58pm On Dec 12, 2012
aribisala0:

Do you mean Odu Itura?

i must clarify I am not a Babalawo
emi o kin se jawe jawe grin
I just study Ifa online most days and read some articles I have been given

Deny it if u want, but u are already an Awo, Awo is about knowledge and wisdom,

Not Odu Otura nor Odu Itura jare, but Otura Odi...(Otura'di)....its a personal quest kind of....and as you will probably know, no matter how knowledgeable one might be in these things another enlightened opinion is always best. Thanks all d same bro
Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ada Nri1: why the insult? Must you show your ill upbringing by insulting some1 u know to be your senior? I gave you a reason why your religion is not popular. I shall not draw the wrath of JEHOVAH on you. I pray rather for mercy.
Pls just shut up. No harm or insult intended. Just respect yourself and others if you want them to listen to you and give you respect.

And please, you are derailing the thread.

Re: Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) by aribisala0(m): 3:01pm On Dec 12, 2012

Common 'madness' In Lagos? / Kenyan Mourners Drop Coffin, Fight Over Where To Bury Corpse (Video) / The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture