Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,576 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

My Network Is Very Slow Help! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Network Is Very Slow Help! (1208 Views)

My Hp 250 Laptop Is Very Slow Help!!! / I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network / Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Network Is Very Slow Help! by HERO111: 2:03pm On Feb 15, 2008
Dudes pls help,
I was formerly using win xp for my network server system, then just replaced it with win server 2003 cos the win xp was incosistent and not capable of carrying about fifty systems on the network. and after all installation and configuration, the browisng become dam too slow, i cant figure out what the problem is now. am using Norton 2007 antivirus and have downloaded spyware terminator on it. pls is there anything i can do to make it browse faster?
thnx for ur contributions
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by Maleeq(m): 4:04pm On Feb 15, 2008
Firstly, the move to install Windows Server 2003 in place of Windows XP is not necessarily a good move. XP is a client OS most suit for personal use, in this case, for browsing.

I dont know what server roles you also installed on the systems, but these could churn up you resources a bit. Before any suggestions, run through this check list:
- Have you ascertained your networks physical layer?
- Make sure you dont have a fault NIC on any host on your network. Imagine a faulty NIC sending broadcasts on your network, all others hosts would be forced to process whatever "jargons" it sends.
- Confirm that you ISP is still delivering the usual bandwidth you've been using.

There are a lot of other checks but these are the basics for now.
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by segun4God(m): 12:25am On Feb 16, 2008
Hello to you,

The first question i will ask you is that which ISP are u using then av you inform your ISP about it may be is from them before you start do what is not suppose to do. so do all this then reply and let us know.

infact in this day all the network is not ok at all. even in my office I av something like this.
so do this first
ok
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by TheSly: 12:35am On Feb 16, 2008
web accelerator is what u need cool
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by segun4God(m): 12:48am On Feb 16, 2008
are u sure the next time is web accelerator?
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by Delta007(m): 3:11am On Feb 16, 2008
I'm going to guess u are using a lesser than required bandwidth for ur 50 PCs. Easy way to confirm? Disconnect 49 and try browsing with only 1 and see if ur speed improves.
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by defmonk: 10:56pm On Feb 16, 2008
Has your network always been slow? Are you talking Internet Access or just local network access? If you're talking about Internet Access, then how many systems do you have and what kind of bandwidth do you have?

Meanwhile, scan your systems for spywares Go here: http://www.newfreedownloads.com/find/spybots.html to download Spybots S&grin. then run Avast to kill viruses or get a good AV.

Cheers.
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by mmonwuba(m): 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2008
Delta007:

I'm going to guess u are using a lesser than required bandwidth for your 50 PCs. Easy way to confirm? Disconnect 49 and try browsing with only 1 and see if your speed improves.

thats right. Ensure you are not trying to use above whats given to you. Disconnect 49 browse with one. What role is the server 2003 playing on your network? Is it a cyber cafe network or what?

How is your intranet communication. Try to send a file from one system to another and see what the speed is like. How long does it take to send a small packet of file?

there are still more but these are the basics
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by HERO111: 10:09am On Feb 19, 2008
Thnx so much wonderful people that contributed on this topic. God will bless u all.
Meanwhile, the ISP am using is netcom africa, n i ve called them, they confirmed they are giving me my dedicated bandwith. also, i realesed that as soon as some systems are put off the network, the internet performance improves and am still using the same bandwith i usually use and my network has not being slow at all. my LAN is quite fast and ok. i downloaded Apyware terminator and scanned yet no improvement. In fact, am still awaiting more contribution
thx a million times,
Re: My Network Is Very Slow Help! by mmonwuba(m): 9:28pm On Feb 20, 2008
ok visit www.myspeedtest.com. test your bandwidth.

because i know these people, they don't give what they say they do. shut down ur server and manually give ip addresses to all systems and try to see your browsing speed. what services are you running on the server even?

(1) (Reply)

Guide For Virtual Box (vmware And Sun Xvm Virtualbox) On Ubuntu / Super Fast Quad Core Processor Desktop For Sale / Another London Used Hp For Sale( Lagos) At Very Cheap Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.