Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Why Was Religion Created? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Was Religion Created? (1723 Views)

Has Religion Created More Harm Than Good? / How The Universe Was Created And Who Created It, Disproving Atheism / "Firstborn" Does It Mean First Created? Jehovah's Witness! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was Religion Created? by majour(m): 12:14pm On Dec 12, 2012
considering the fact that religion has done more harm than good to man (wars, crisis and death) i wonder WHY it was created in the first place.... Do u blive as i blive that man wud be alot beta without religion?

Ur thought pls
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by trafters: 12:37pm On Dec 12, 2012
majour: considering the fact that religion has done more harm than good to man (wars, crisis and death) i wonder WHY it was created in the first place.... Do u blive as i blive that man wud be alot beta without religion?

Ur thought pls

Religion was created when the first con man met the first fool.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by AtheistD(m): 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2012
A very noble and concise question. I like it.

+100 likes

Religion is evolutionary.

Man would not be better without religion.

Religion is here to stay.

Religion is all about fear. It is a placebo to overcome fear and excel.

However most modern religions now enslave us with fear.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by majour(m): 1:05pm On Dec 12, 2012
Atheist:-D:
A very noble and concise question. I like it.

+100 likes

Religion is evolutionary.

Man would not be better without religion.

Religion is here to stay.

Religion is all about fear. It is a placebo to overcome fear and excel.

However most modern religions now enslave us with fear.
xcatly, religion has done ntin more than turn man into a doll, we act as puppets instead of gods
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by AtheistD(m): 1:12pm On Dec 12, 2012
majour: xcatly, religion has done ntin more than turn man into a doll, we act as puppets instead of gods

A true beneficial religion is a flexible religion that allows us to explore all of societies strengths and illnesses, gives us confidence in ourselves, allows us to be at peace with ourselves, grows/develops with society rather than being stagnant. Is non-canonical etc.

Ppl can commit atrocities making up any excuse but so.e religions almost make it too easy for these things to happen. Most religions today are psychological drugs with extreme side effects.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Heatblast(m): 1:52pm On Dec 12, 2012
Don't get things wrong, religion and science are the same thing in the sense that they are created to explain natural oucurring phenomenon.

I see religion as the earliest form of science which uses just OBSERVATION and CONCLUSION eg obsevation: the sky is blue conclusion: god did it.

This lazy concept of 'god did it' has been misused by humans and its what has caused "so many wars"(as you said) and was highly inaccurate in formulating predictions and solutions. A new form of religion(science) had to evolve and break off. Overtime, religion(science) has evolved different other intermediate techniques to form the modren day science as we know it. Today primitive science(religion) has taken on a different role of trying to explain the "spiritual"(deviation form its earliest purpose).

In conclusion, religion is primitive science or science is complex modern day religion and it was created to EXPLAIN

My opinion tho wink

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by majour(m): 1:55pm On Dec 12, 2012

A true beneficial religion is a flexible religion that allows us to explore all of societies strengths and illnesses, gives us confidence in ourselves, allows us to be at peace with ourselves, grows/develops with society rather than being stagnant. Is non-canonical etc.

Ppl can commit atrocities making up any excuse but so.e religions almost make it too easy for these things to happen. Most religions today are psychological drugs with extreme side effects.
true broda
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by majour(m): 2:01pm On Dec 12, 2012
Heatblast: Don't get things wrong, religion and science are the same thing in the sense that they are created to explain natural oucurring phenomenon.

I see religion as the earliest form of science which uses just OBSERVATION and CONCLUSION eg obsevation: the sky is blue conclusion: god did it.

This lazy concept of 'god did it' has been misused by humans and its what has caused "so many wars"(as you said) and was highly inaccurate in formulating predictions and solutions. A new form of religion(science) had to evolve and break off. Overtime, religion(science) has evolved different other intermediate techniques to form the modren day science as we know it. Today primitive science(religion) has taken on a different role of trying to explain the "spiritual"(deviation form its earliest purpose).

In conclusion, religion is primitive science or science is complex modern day religion and it was created to EXPLAIN

My opinion tho wink
i can tell u this in all truth, religion and sscience r far apart, religion was made to keep man on check, to restrict man from realising his potentials and science is just the opposite
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Sweetnecta: 4:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
I like the question of the op. i am guessing that the op believes that there is a true religion amongst the many that man proclaims as religions.

religion can be define as a spiritual way to satisfy the conscience, mine or soul where in it the heart is at some peace.

the way that is followed must be with the intention to reach a destination and there must be a commander that commands or instructs the one on such a path/way that the goal at the end of the journey is pleasant.

religion is therefore the tunnel that there is something to find at the end of it. The true religion and there should not be more than one will have the light of the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

if true religion was created, when and by whom? were there people who had lived before it was created and what advantage do the people who came after its creation have over those who lived before its creation? if this is the case that true religion came after many had died, then there is no fairness in grading those who died before it versus those who took advantage of its benefit because there was established true religion already before their birth.

i as a muslim say that true religion is not created but revealed by God who created man and put this true religion on man as the way man should seek His Benevolent, and by it man will be judged using the criterion of its ruling to know who is stays on the right course and those who decide to follow many wrong path shunning guidance.

Adam being the first man was given the first and most important element of true guidance into the one and true religion revealed that God is One and all worships of man belongs to Him, only as He deems and instructs. Therefore you can not create any way o your own and say this is acceptable. is there anyone who accept lies as the truth he already knows?

There is Only One God and there is only one religion from Him.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Sweetnecta: 4:32pm On Dec 12, 2012
I like the question of the op. i am guessing that the op believes that there is a true religion amongst the many that man proclaims as religions.

religion can be define as a spiritual way to satisfy the conscience, mine or soul where in it the heart is at some peace.

the way that is followed must be with the intention to reach a destination and there must be a commander that commands or instructs the one on such a path/way that the goal at the end of the journey is pleasant.

religion is therefore the tunnel that there is something to find at the end of it. The true religion and there should not be more than one will have the light of the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

if true religion was created, when and by whom? were there people who had lived before it was created and what advantage do the people who came after its creation have over those who lived before its creation? if this is the case that true religion came after many had died, then there is no fairness in grading those who died before it versus those who took advantage of its benefit because there was established true religion already before their birth.

i as a muslim say that true religion is not created but revealed by God who created man and put this true religion on man as the way man should seek His Benevolent, and by it man will be judged using the criterion of its ruling to know who is stays on the right course and those who decide to follow many wrong path shunning guidance. This is what intent for man; a true religion that He revealed in His uncreated Words, but revealed Words of God.

Adam being the first man was given the first and most important element of true guidance into the one and true religion revealed that God is One and all worships of man belongs to Him, only as He deems and instructs. Therefore you can not create any way o your own and say this is acceptable. is there anyone who accept lies as the truth he already knows?

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by majour(m): 5:04pm On Dec 12, 2012
Sweetnecta: I like the question of the op. i am guessing that the op believes that there is a true religion amongst the many that man proclaims as religions.

i as a muslim say that true religion is not created but revealed by God who created man and put this true religion on man as the way man should seek His Benevolent, and by it man will be judged using the criterion of its ruling to know who is stays on the right course and those who decide to follow many wrong path shunning guidance.

i liked ur insight, but the question is will man be beta off without religioon, even wen we operated on our on rooted african religion, we have neva experienced this much violence and urest as christianity and islam has brought us today,.
Religion was to create ethics for man, guide book on hw to be beta and live together, bt today what we see is totally different.
Imagine a world with no religion or belief, a world were man shapes for himself what is good or bad wont uu rada choose that to what we see today?
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Sweetnecta: 1:37am On Dec 14, 2012
religion is the spiritual farm or food store of the soul. soul keeps man alive. where there is no cultivation or home where there is no food, the people will die. bad food does a little to keep the person barely alive. thats different when it comes to the best food. it will definitely make it possible to hit the maximum expected of good health. no religion, bad religions and the best religion are similar to the food analogy in nourishing the human soul.

God is The One Who provides the standard of what the soul must have in spirituality and you get the best from His Religion Prescribed/revealed and commanded upon man. I am proud of my african morality. but idolatry, i am not part of it. i do not make my God with my own hands just like i will not say my son is my father or my daughter is my mom. or my wife is my sibling. Good religion will definitely elevate the ethics and morality. and that is not to say you will not find some religious people deficient.

when a religious person falls short of expectation, if he was not religious he would have fallen much much deep, maybe sinking to the bottom. if he is a good person without religion, if he had taken up the best religion, he would have been much much better, even rising and reaching the top/pinnacle of the morality scale. i say that good religion tames the beast in us, best. i can assure you that if there is no religion, evil would have been more of a norm than it is now. if everyone has a religion of his own, he will have to set his own morality and his own code we will have almost 7 billion religions on the earth, today.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Nobody: 1:47am On Dec 14, 2012
Sweetnecta: religion is the spiritual farm or food store of the soul. soul keeps man alive. where there is no cultivation or home where there is no food, the people will die. bad food does a little to keep the person barely alive. thats different when it comes to the best food. it will definitely make it possible to hit the maximum expected of good health. no religion, bad religions and the best religion are similar to the food analogy in nourishing the human soul.

God is The One Who provides the standard of what the soul must have in spirituality and you get the best from His Religion Prescribed/revealed and commanded upon man. I am proud of my african morality. but idolatry, i am not part of it. i do not make my God with my own hands just like i will not say my son is my father or my daughter is my mom. or my wife is my sibling. Good religion will definitely elevate the ethics and morality. and that is not to say you will not find some religious people deficient.

when a religious person falls short of expectation, if he was not religious he would have fallen much much deep, maybe sinking to the bottom. if he is a good person without religion, if he had taken up the best religion, he would have been much much better, even rising and reaching the top/pinnacle of the morality scale. i say that good religion tames the beast in us, best. i can assure you that if there is no religion, evil would have been more of a norm than it is now. if everyone has a religion of his own, he will have to set his own morality and his own code we will have almost 7 billion religions on the earth, today.

Sharaap! Arab slave.

Religion was made to control useless people like yourself.

-Your prayers in Arabic.
-You face Arab lands (mecca) to pray. <does God live in Mecca or are you worshipping the prophet in his place?>
-Your Quran is best understood in Arabic.
-Pilgrimage to Arabic land is pillar of your religion
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Sweetnecta: 1:53am On Dec 14, 2012
arent you over doing this your atheist thing a little too much when you have no respect for elders, somebody who is as old as mama? or even papa?
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Nobody: 1:54am On Dec 14, 2012
Sweetnecta: arent you over doing this your atheist thing a little too much when you have no respect for elders, somebody who is as old as mama? or even papa?

Sharaap. For all I know, you could be a 35 year old virgin Mullah
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Sweetnecta: 2:20am On Dec 14, 2012
is gej 35? i am older than him.

i hope that you are not this dis-respective to elders? my children are in the 35 years range, you know.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by wiegraf: 2:50am On Dec 14, 2012
I imagine our evolving consciousness' need to conceptualize morality was the main purpose. Everything else fell into place after that. Like all pack animals, we usually have an alpha greatly influencing behavior in the pack thereby aiding the groups chances. Cooperation helps, so rules are established and enforced. You need a strong leader to ensure success. When we became conscious we created 'better', or at least more powerful conceptually, leaders as 'gods', the ultimate pack leaders. So strong that they would in fact take care of us even after the dreaded death. The rest then falls into place, like their becoming the gods of gaps and giving people (false) purposes in life, etc. It might have been useful in the early days

Just my opinion though. It could have happened differently. This is also more or else evolutionary sociobiology's take on it i think, if I understood it correctly.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by mazaje(m): 4:52am On Dec 14, 2012
Religions are humanly constructed traditions to help mankind explain the unknown, give him control over others, give him hope and legitimize his fantasies. Those who were in control and wanted to keep control or those who wanted to get control used religion to achieve that. They taught the ignorant there was a god and told them that god chose (the controller/ruler) as their leaders. They claimed they talked with god or god revealed things to them. . .That was how they controlled the ignorant, used them and kept them under tight control. Daniel Dennett has suggested (in his book breaking the spell) that beliefs there are higher forces watching over the fortunes of your tribe, aiding you in battle, helping heal your sick and injured, and attacking your enemies, could be advantageous in the evolutionary fight to survive. Such a belief, although entirely untrue, would bind a tribe together around a common set of customs and rituals, and could be used (or abused?) by charismatic leaders to keep spirits up when times were hard. All religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few. . . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by wiegraf: 5:53am On Dec 14, 2012

Why is it so hard to understand this? Is fear of mortality the number 1 culprit or indoctrination? Are we truly so cowardly that the average human would be so blinded, treat this world like $hit, just because heaven?

If that's the fear the irony is that if they didn't get in the way we would be closer to immortality by now. Not to mention the obvious advantages of peaceful, progressive societies. With a lot of work, we could achieve something much better than the rather sad heaven of the abrahamics, which they seem so desperate to reach, on this very planet (or dare I say the stars).

Their excuse; but heaven. How selfish. I would like to believe they have other reasons for refusing to let go of the nonsense that is religion but all I can see is fear. In this day and age, after all that science has achieved, fear is simply not a good enough excuse

[/rather weird rant]

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by manmustwac(m): 7:55am On Dec 14, 2012
Stoneage man had to make sense of his surroundings that is the Sun, Rain, Nightime, other animals etc. Since we evolved with bigger brains so invented Gods & religion which helped make sense of their lives & surroundings.

Animals didn't evolve with bigger brains so all that matters to them is survial mating & passing their genes to the next genberation to continue the cycle of life
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by AtheistD(m): 11:18am On Dec 14, 2012
wiegraf: I imagine our evolving consciousness' need to conceptualize morality was the main purpose. Everything else fell into place after that. Like all pack animals, we usually have an alpha greatly influencing behavior in the pack thereby aiding the groups chances. Cooperation helps, so rules are established and enforced. You need a strong leader to ensure success. When we became conscious we created 'better', or at least more powerful conceptually, leaders as 'gods', the ultimate pack leaders. So strong that they would in fact take care of us even after the dreaded death. The rest then falls into place, like their becoming the gods of gaps and giving people (false) purposes in life, etc. It might have been useful in the early days

Just my opinion though. It could have happened differently. This is also more or else evolutionary sociobiology's take on it i think, if I understood it correctly.

Thank you. It is evolutionary.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by AtheistD(m): 11:22am On Dec 14, 2012
mazaje: Religions are humanly constructed traditions to help mankind explain the unknown, give him control over others, give him hope and legitimize his fantasies. Those who were in control and wanted to keep control or those who wanted to get control used religion to achieve that. They taught the ignorant there was a god and told them that god chose (the controller/ruler) as their leaders. They claimed they talked with god or god revealed things to them. . .That was how they controlled the ignorant and used them and keep them under tight control. Daniel Dennett has suggested (in his book breaking the spell) that beliefs there are higher forces watching over the fortunes of your tribe, aiding you in battle, helping heal your sick and injured, and attacking your enemies, could be advantageous in the evolutionary fight to survive. Such a belief, although entirely untrue, would bind a tribe together around a common set of customs and rituals, and could be used (or abused?) by charismatic leaders to keep spirits up when times were hard. All religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few. . . . .

This type of belief would also help advance the group in warfare etc where fear is a major component.

3 major conflicts that benefitted from religion was the initial spread of Islam, Heraclius byzantine-persian wars (where the ideology of holy wars was first put to an efficient use) and of course the crusades.

It is difficult to.argue if any of the groups would have been as successful without.the religious flavour to their wars.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by mazaje(m): 2:06pm On Dec 14, 2012

This type of belief would also help advance the group in warfare etc where fear is a major component.

3 major conflicts that benefitted from religion was the initial spread of Islam, Heraclius byzantine-persian wars (where the ideology of holy wars was first put to an efficient use) and of course the crusades.

It is difficult to.argue if any of the groups would have been as successful without.the religious flavour to their wars.

Religion is beneficial to humanity. It provides hope, gives people confidence and offers them the belief that there is a father figure that loves them, cares for them and wants them to be his own. Religion is basically for the poor and those in power. . .The wise and the rich usually have nothing to do with it except it will allow them exploit the poor or improve their standing in the eyes of others. . ."Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful"

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by AtheistD(m): 9:16pm On Dec 14, 2012
mazaje:

Religion is beneficial to humanity. It provides hope, gives people confidence and offers them the belief that there is a father figure that loves them, cares for them and wants them to be his own. Religion is basically for the poor and those in power. . .The wise and the rich usually have nothing to do with it except it will allow them exploit the poor or improve their standing in the eyes of others. . ."Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful"

I agree. In its purest form it can be very useful if applied appropriately. It however is rarely applied appropriately.

I have seen first hand the power of religion.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by mazaje(m): 12:12am On Dec 15, 2012

I agree. In its purest form it can be very useful if applied appropriately. It however is rarely applied appropriately.

I have seen first hand the power of religion.

In its purest form religion has always and will always be a sham that is dressed to be what it is not. . .To me religion has out lived its usefulness in some parts of the world. . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by wiegraf: 1:04am On Dec 15, 2012
mazaje:

To me religion has out lived its usefulness in some parts of the world. . . .

It's still useful in some parts?!
lol. I find that hard to believe, though of course you are right on many levels.

Regardless of how poorly educated one may be or how dire the situation, I would say religions of the flavor of the abrahamics have far better alternatives everywhere. So I suppose it would depend on the type of religion.

And we may get to a point where we might be able to control emotion with some success. Heavily playing with fire, I know.
Emotion gives us our drive, our goals etc. Keeps from becoming cold, heartless, apathetic and ambitionless etc. But it's also what leads to myriad horrors. If we ever do gain some sort of judicious control over it (like the vulcans from star trek) we might be able to get rid of the need for religions of the abrahamic sort for ever. Of course, again, seriously playing with fire. I wonder if anyone's ever explored the option of attaining complete control over emotions without killing ambition and empathy?

[/weird rant]
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by AtheistD(m): 8:10am On Dec 15, 2012
mazaje:

In its purest form religion has always and will always be a sham that is dressed to be what it is not. . .To me religion has out lived its usefulness in some parts of the world. . . .

I doubt it will ever be replaced. Ppl might be abandoning conventional religions but they are turning to other religions. There are those who have turned to buddhism and hinduism in the west. Also religions like scientology seem to be growing.
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by F00028: 9:00am On Dec 15, 2012
hey! backup!
majour: considering the fact that religion has done more harm than good to man...
how is this a fact?
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 15, 2012
F00028: hey! backup!

how is this a fact?

You are free to look at ALL islamic societies and how they are ALL under-performing compared to the secular western societies like Norway, Sweden etc
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by majour(m): 9:15am On Dec 15, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are free to look at ALL islamic societies and how they are ALL under-performing compared to the secular western societies like Norway, Sweden etc
guess answered ur questn quite ryt, even at dat TERRORISM in the world is carried out mostly by deranged religionist
Re: Why Was Religion Created? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 15, 2012
[size=28pt]FOR DIVISIVE AND IMPERIALISTIC REASONS!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Was Religion Created? by AtheistD(m): 9:14am On Dec 16, 2012
*Kails*:
[size=28pt]FOR DIVISIVE AND IMPERIALISTIC REASONS!![/size]

only some religions

(1) (Reply)

Any Difference Between An Altar And A Stage? / This Is Not HIJAB / That Witch Supervising And Hindering Your Progress Must Die Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.