Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (208724 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
lastmessenger:
Only you understand what you are up to and why what i wrote is a boomerang.believe it or not, few people change things on this earth and rest are led like sheep.there is nothing wrong with being led like a sheep if that is someones choice.i dont have problem if u are fan of 10% giving and of them that preach it.my only problem is that people should be made to know the truth to liberate them from their fears.
The point is that your view is not necessarily truth. There are good students of the Word and followers of God on each side. Nothing liberating about it. If you understand it the other way, no problem, no bi by force to give. But God has sent to one to "liberate" people from any form of giving done to Him. There are more serious issues that people need to be liberated from.

Like i said before,i am a christembassy member and pastor chris is my pastor and he inspires me alot but that doesnt mean everything he say is what i swallow.even paul said in one of his letters that we know in part and that we see through a dark glass.dont ever think these men we look upto cannot make mistakes.infact the Thessalonians church having heard paul preach went back to search the scripture, making judgement between what paul preached and the scriptures.thats who we are supposed to be and not to totally depend on what somebody is saying on the pulpit.all i am saying is this Oyedepo can be wrong,Pastor Chris can be wrong,Adeboye can be wrong.you will argue with me that they are getting result from what they are preaching on tithe,well anybody can get result from doing what he is doing(ask the Juju priest and they will tell their result).Research carried out showed that only 14% of American christains gave a little above 10% of their income(after all the shouting and preaching on tithing).
Of course, they can be wrong. i can be wrong and you can be wrong. Fortunately, they are not wrong on this issue. Its like using the they can be wrong premise to conclude anything. They can be wrong, therefore there is no God as they say. Its an absurd premise. They are not infallible, but they can be measured with what Jesus and the Word says. Jesus said of tithes that this ought to be done. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

My personal convinction is that the church will experience trememdous properity if they will drop this judaism practice called tithe.it is like a cancer and it is limiting us from enjoying the full blessings from God.

There is a book on the internet that i want u to read with an open mind.after reading the book and you feel that tithing is still ok for u then so be it.cheek this site www.tekoapublishing.com/books/tithing
Thanks for the advice and personal convictions and even link. i'll stay with the more sure Word of prophecy.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Zikkyy(m): 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
Image123:
No, there is no such thing seen in the reference. It seems you spuriously see the word "ONLY" in every tithe passage. Here is the phrase on tithes from the passage again. Try to note that there is nothing like ONLY in that reference.
"the TITHES in all the cities of our TILLAGE.38.And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God"

So because you don't see the word "only" in the bible verse, it therefore mean the Israelite tithed cash. Read the bible verse again....

Neh 10:37-38
'And that we should bring the first fruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the CHAMBERS of the house of our God;
and the tithes of our ground unto the LEVITES, that the same LEVITES might have the TITHES in all the cities of our TILLAGE. 38.And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the CHAMBERS, into the treasure house'

they promised the tithes of their ground; tithe from the cities of their tillage. Image123, you dig money from the ground abi? anyways i understand some people don't keep money in the bank, they keep their cash in some underground vault at home. I want to believe you are one of them for thinking tithe of the ground includes cash.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Zikkyy(m): 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
Image123:
Everybody already knew the MAIN tithe, that is, the 10% that leaves the individual's custody and goes into the minister's custody.

Scriptures does not support this statement. Tithe in the bible is not 10%, it is a 'tenth'. for tithe purpose tithe and tenth are not the same. You can say 10% is a tenth, but some tenth does not amount to 10%. the tithe of the Israelite goes to members of the tribe of Levi, it is the levites that tithe to the priest.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 7:33pm On Nov 12, 2013
Zikkyy: Neh 10:37-38
'And that we should bring the first fruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the CHAMBERS of the house of our God; and the
tithes of our ground unto the LEVITES, that the same LEVITES might have the TITHES in all the cities of our TILLAGE.38.And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the CHAMBERS, into the treasure house'

This was the tithing promise made by the Israelite (in compliance with the law). This is something for joagbaje to consider. The jews were never required to tithe cash, it was always about agric produce.

As has been severally explained, the economy of that time is so much different from now. In those times, their riches was in agric produce. That was their major income and increase. It of of this increase that they gave tithe. Today, our major increase and income is usually money. This so basic that even a child gets it. It is when theologists begin to give us fables that folks that reconstructing their thinking and ideologies.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Candour(m): 7:33pm On Nov 12, 2013
Image123:
Another attempt to inject spurious tales into truth. We are aware of, teach and do not contest what you wrote above. The spurious tales come in from the part i have colored green. What on earth is the triennial tithe? Hope it's not another bogus phrase to divert and obfuscate issues?

Are you aware of the tithe done every three years? do you know tri is a prefix meaning 3? I expect you to know that tri-ennial means every three years.

Meanwhile, you exaggerate when you say you teach Deut 14:22-29 because you don't. If you don't contest it, why don't you practice it? or that part of the bible is unprofitable for you?

There is no change whatsoever as you insinuated. The people of Nehemiah's time determined to obey the Word as it was commanded during the time of Moses, they did not modify it. i do not know why you have that idea that they modified it.
Neh 10:29 They cleaved to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;

Can you show where Moses included storehouse in the tithe law he gave to Isreal? be kind to point it out for i can't find it. The first mention of a storehouse for tithes is found during Hezekiah's time as king of Judah

2Chr 31:11-12
'The Hezekiah commanded to prepare chambers in the house of the LORD; and they prepared them,12. And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was next'

Solomon built this temple but with no chambers for tithes until Hezekiah's time. This became the practice that followed the Jews into captivity in Babylon and reenacted during Nehemiah's time.

Its so clear that i find it amusing you could miss it.

No, there is no such thing seen in the reference. It seems you spuriously see the word "ONLY" in every tithe passage. Here is the phrase on tithes from the passage again. Try to note that there is nothing like ONLY in that reference.
"the TITHES in all the cities of our TILLAGE.38.And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God"

'And that we should bring the first fruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the CHAMBERS of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the LEVITES, that the same LEVITES might have the TITHES in all the cities of our TILLAGE.38.And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the CHAMBERS, into the treasure house'

That's the reference again. Kindly explain verse 37 since you don't agree with my explanation.

Also pls note that every mention of tithe in the bible except Abram's tithe and that of the Self righteous Pharisee in the gospels always mentioned agric products only despite the fact that money had been in operation hundreds of years before Moses.

Deut 14:22-29 is one of the last passages that makes direct reference to tithe in the five books of Moses. Deuteronomy BTW is more of a rehash and summary of what has been previously said. Tithe was spoken of directly in Genesis, Leviticus and Numbers. In each of this books, the idea and the tithe talked about is the one that goes to the priest or the minister in the temple. It is in Deuteronomy that the other two popular tithes are talked of. Everybody already knew the MAIN tithe, that is, the 10% that leaves the individual's custody and goes into the minister's custody. Deut 14:22-29. and i think chapter 12 introduces two OTHER ones. Of this two, one is the one that you spend on yourself, family and neighbour levites IN Jerusalem or Shiloh annually as was supposed to be the case. The second of this other two is the one done once in three years AT home. These two are different from the common or main one that is given to the minister, which they store in the chamber or storehouse or whatever name. These two are what Deut 14:22-29 talks about in addition to the main one generally known. The tithe of Abraham and Jacob was not in this exact format and God accepted it. This is so plain but i expect your proud self to twist and turn yet.

Abram's tithe was not to just any minister but to Melchizedek who we all regard as a type of Christ. Is your pastor a type of Christ? Is your pastor your priest? If you're a Christian, you have one priest and he's in heaven right now and sure doesn't need tithes there.

Jacob's tithe was a vow contingent upon God performing a part of the bargain. I'm sure you wont tell us this is your format.

Lev 27:30-33 perfectly defines God's tithe but is silent on who receives it. If you can find the receiver there, pls show us. thank you

Num 18:26-28
'Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.27.And this your heave offering shall be reckoned unto you, as though it were the corn of the threshingfloor, and as the fulness of the winepress.28.Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD's heave offering to Aaron the priest.'

From the above, It's clear LEVITES own the tithes of the children of Israel while the PRIESTS represented by Aaron own a tenth of the tithes which translates to 1% of the tithes of the children of Israel.

Which of these two offices is being occupied by your pastors today? Levites or Priests? i will say none.

Will you tell me you still can't see a difference between these tithes and the caricature practiced in churches today?

The forum rules call it spamming, not me. A christian should be responsible enough as to abide by common rules governing where he operates.

Thanks a lot. Try and apply to be a MOD so you can effect the rules. Whenever you feign ignorance of the truth of Malachi, I'll ensure Oyaks devotional is on hand to remind you.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Zikkyy(m): 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
Image123:
As has been severally explained, the economy of that time is so much different from now. In those times, their riches was in agric produce. That was their major income and increase. It of of this increase that they gave tithe. Today, our major increase and income is usually money. This so basic that even a child gets it. It is when theologists begin to give us fables that folks that reconstructing their thinking and ideologies.

You still don't get it. Being agric economy did not stop trade. we know the Israelite engaged in sales and purchase of goods and services. Some Jews worked and earned salary/wages but not required to tithe. In fact farmers sold some of their agric produce but they were not required to tithe from sales or profit. tithe was taken directly from harvest before you go to the market. Just like the Israelite economy, we still produce (agric plus industrial) but you guys tithe profit after making sales or you tithe salary. Tithe of old was from what we classify as asset in modern day accounting. The owner of Toyota will tithe a tenth of what comes out of production before sales grin you see you are getting it wrong. it was never about the money. see evidence that Israelite traded or earned salary below....

Nehemiah 13:15 (NIV)
15 In those days I saw people in Judah treading winepresses on the Sabbath and bringing in grain and loading it on donkeys, together with wine, grapes, figs and all other kinds of loads. And they were bringing all this into Jerusalem on the Sabbath. Therefore I warned them against selling food on that day.

Deuteronomy 24:14-15 (NIV)
14 Do not take advantage of a hired worker who is poor and needy, whether that worker is a fellow Israelite or a foreigner residing in one of your towns. 15 Pay them their wages each day before sunset, because they are poor and are counting on it. Otherwise they may cry to the Lord against you, and you will be guilty of sin.

2 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 6:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
Candour:

Are you aware of the tithe done every three years? do you know tri is a prefix meaning 3? I expect you to know that tri-ennial means every three years.

Meanwhile, you exaggerate when you say you teach Deut 14:22-29 because you don't. If you don't contest it, why don't you practice it? or that part of the bible is unprofitable for you?
You are free to check up either the second or third page of this very thread. i taught Deut 14. 22-29 there. i've always said that there are at least three types of tithes found in the Bible. It is antitithers like kunle especially that like to act like they are the same, by asking the gullible to eat their tithe.
Stop making unnecessary insinuations about what i do and do not do. If you have reasonable questions, ask them instead of falsely accusing me fallaciously.

Can you show where Moses included storehouse in the tithe law he gave to Isreal? be kind to point it out for i can't find it. The first mention of a storehouse for tithes is found during Hezekiah's time as king of Judah

2Chr 31:11-12
'The Hezekiah commanded to prepare chambers in the house of the LORD; and they prepared them,12. And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was next'

Solomon built this temple but with no chambers for tithes until Hezekiah's time. This became the practice that followed the Jews into captivity in Babylon and reenacted during Nehemiah's time.

Its so clear that i find it amusing you could miss it.
you are imagining a change only in your head. the Bible clearly states that the people wanted to keep the word as Moses gave it. You said no, they changed it.
Neh 10:29 They cleaved to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;

Storage was not novel before Hezekiah. When agric produce are collected, it is common sense that there would be a place that it was stored. That a certain passage mentions it first does not COMPULSORILY mean that it is the first time. The people in Moses time sure had stores/storehouses. The storehouse/store or barn is what can also be called chamber. Its just a room for purpose of storage. No hard and fix rules about it.
Deu 28:5 Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store.
Lev 25:22 And ye shall sow the eighth year, and eat yet of old fruit until the ninth year; until her fruits come in ye shall eat of the old store.

The above scriptures show that storing things was not alien in the time of Moses. When Solomon built the temple, he built it with chambers. Chambers were in the house of God at his time too. Chambers are simply rooms, it is not a new discovery by Hezekiah.
1Ki 6:5 And against the wall of the house he built chambers round about, against the walls of the house round about, both of the temple and of the oracle: and he made chambers round about:

You do not have to read or comprehend so mechanically.

'And that we should bring the first fruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the CHAMBERS of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the LEVITES, that the same LEVITES might have the TITHES in all the cities of our TILLAGE.38.And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the CHAMBERS, into the treasure house'

That's the reference again. Kindly explain verse 37 since you don't agree with my explanation.

Also pls note that every mention of tithe in the bible except Abram's tithe and that of the Self righteous Pharisee in the gospels always mentioned agric products only despite the fact that money had been in operation hundreds of years before Moses.
Agric produce was the main economy and increase in those days. The verse 37 for instance does not mention livestock. But they know that they were to tithe of all their increase even if Nehemiah does not say it. They had the Bible that said it. Even pagans knew what the tithe was, it was simply a tenth. The occupation, economy and riches of the common man in Bible days were measured mainly on agric produce not in naira and kobo or shekels. If you see rich men in Bible days, their riches were vastly from cattle, sheep, barns. It is not like today. We do not have to be so rigid like the pharisees were about the sabbath, and they thought Jesus was breaking the sabbath.
Most times when God talked about blessing or punishment, it was usually linked to agric produce as well, fruitfulness, rain, pests, diseases. It didn't mean that non-farmers(if there was actually anyone like that) were excluded from the blessing or the punishment.

Abram's tithe was not to just any minister but to Melchizedek who we all regard as a type of Christ. Is your pastor a type of Christ? Is your pastor your priest? If you're a Christian, you have one priest and he's in heaven right now and sure doesn't need tithes there.
Jacob's tithe was a vow contingent upon God performing a part of the bargain. I'm sure you wont tell us this is your format.
Christians are types of Christ, i thought that was the very meaning of the word "christian". Christians are priests in the priesthood after the order of Melchisedec. Jesus is our High priest. An high priest has priests.
Heb 6:20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:

There is nothing wrong with Jacob's tithe or format. The point is that he gave tithe of all God gave him.

Lev 27:30-33 perfectly defines God's tithe but is silent on who receives it. If you can find the receiver there, pls show us. thank you
So its God's tithe but you insinuate that you do not know who receives it? Are you just making arguments or discussing? In Bible study, there is what is called TOPICAL STUDY. That is, studying a particular topic , looking at all the places that that topic is found in scriptures. That is the normal way to do topical study. Its abnormal to say one scripture is the right and approved one, and that the others are not. Genesis talks of tithe, so do other books. One is not more right than the other, they are all together, completing and complementing the other.

Num 18:26-28
'Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.27.And this your heave offering shall be reckoned unto you, as though it were the corn of the threshingfloor, and as the fulness of the winepress.28.Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD's heave offering to Aaron the priest.'

From the above, It's clear LEVITES own the tithes of the children of Israel while the PRIESTS represented by Aaron own a tenth of the tithes which translates to 1% of the tithes of the children of Israel.

Which of these two offices is being occupied by your pastors today? Levites or Priests? i will say none.

Will you tell me you still can't see a difference between these tithes and the caricature practiced in churches today?
There you go again trying to force us under the law's format. The law is just a type a shadow. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for doctrine and for instruction. You are not God to force people to what they must do. Folks have a personal relationship with God and their tithes and offerings are accepted. It is not your place to disapprove.

Thanks a lot. Try and apply to be a MOD so you can effect the rules. Whenever you feign ignorance of the truth of Malachi, I'll ensure Oyaks devotional is on hand to remind you.
i do not need to effect the rules, i simply reminded you of the rules. As a christian, you should be responsible and mature enough to obey them.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 6:50pm On Nov 13, 2013
Zikkyy:

You still don't get it. Being agric economy did not stop trade. we know the Israelite engaged in sales and purchase of goods and services. Some Jews worked and earned salary/wages but not required to tithe. In fact farmers sold some of their agric produce but they were not required to tithe from sales or profit. tithe was taken directly from harvest before you go to the market. Just like the Israelite economy, we still produce (agric plus industrial) but you guys tithe profit after making sales or you tithe salary. Tithe of old was from what we classify as asset in modern day accounting. The owner of Toyota will tithe a tenth of what comes out of production before sales grin you see you are getting it wrong. it was never about the money. see evidence that Israelite traded or earned salary below....

15 In those days I saw people in Judah treading winepresses on the Sabbath and bringing in grain and loading it on donkeys, together with wine, grapes, figs and all other kinds of loads. And they were bringing all this into Jerusalem on the Sabbath. Therefore I warned them against selling food on that day.

14 Do not take advantage of a hired worker who is poor and needy, whether that worker is a fellow Israelite or a foreigner residing in one of your towns. 15 Pay them their wages each day before sunset, because they are poor and are counting on it. Otherwise they may cry to the Lord against you, and you will be guilty of sin.

Tithe is a tenth of your income, your increase. The major economy or source of increase in Bible times was agric produce. Every family had to be involved in agriculture. They all lived by seedtime and harvest. It is only the lazy man that was not into that.
Pro 20:4 The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.

Even in some rural areas today, you still find this kind of thing. Whatever the family may be doing, they will have land/farm and animals that they rear. It was more intense in Bible times. Their need was food, clothing and shelter. They all had shelter as God gave them an inheritance and cities. Their food and clothing was from agriculture. the whole family was usually involved. That was their increase and their blessing. The average man was not after accumulating shekels but after cattle and big barns. It is so different today. Look for any rich man in the Bible, you would see that he was rich in agric produce. It was their sweat as it were, it was their daily bread. Today, we can also give tithe of our daily bread, whatever it is. God does not refuse it so far it comes from His children.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 6:54pm On Nov 13, 2013
Zikkyy:

Tithe is a tenth of your income, your increase. The major economy or source of increase in Bible times was agric produce. Every family had to be involved in agriculture. They all lived by seedtime and harvest. It is only the lazy man that was not into that.
Pro 20:4 The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.

Even in some rural areas today, you still find this kind of thing. Whatever the family may be doing, they will have land/farm and animals that they rear. It was more intense in Bible times. Their need was food, clothing and shelter. They all had shelter as God gave them an inheritance and cities. Their food and clothing was from agriculture. the whole family was usually involved. That was their increase and their blessing. The average man was not after accumulating shekels but after cattle and big barns. It is so different today. Look for any rich man in the Bible, you would see that he was rich in agric produce. It was their sweat as it were, it was their daily bread. Today, we can also give tithe of our daily bread, whatever it is. God does not refuse it so far it comes from His children.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by PastorKun(m): 7:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
@Image123
Stop spamming this thread with your lies that agric produce was the main measure of wealth or increase in those days. The bible records as far back as genesis that Abraham was rich in Gold and silver. We also know from historical records that gold and silver was a major means of exchange(money) in those days. So if money was meant to be used as tithe, it would have been clearly stated so as money was in existent as far back as genesis.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 8:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
Pastor Kun: @Image123
Stop spamming this thread with your lies that agric produce was the main measure of wealth or increase in those days. The bible records as far back as genesis that Abraham was rich in Gold and silver. We also know from historical records that gold and silver was a major means of exchange(money) in those days. So if money was meant to be used as tithe, it would have been clearly stated so as money was in existent as far back as genesis.
i did not say that people did not have gold or siver. Kindly re-read what i said more carefully. BTW, do you spend gold and silver today or what is your point? Do you know the meaning of money at all?
Anyway, i think i'm done here for now. Let me go focus on more important things.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Candour(m): 8:30pm On Nov 13, 2013
Image123:
You are free to check up either the second or third page of this very thread. i taught Deut 14. 22-29 there. i've always said that there are at least three types of tithes found in the Bible. It is antitithers like kunle especially that like to act like they are the same, by asking the gullible to eat their tithe.
Stop making unnecessary insinuations about what i do and do not do. If you have reasonable questions, ask them instead of falsely accusing me fallaciously.

Are folks not commanded to eat their tithes in the bible? Are you saying God too was gullible to ask people to eat their tithes?

I don't see you and other tithe promoters encourage folks to put Deut 14:22-29 into practice. All you're concerned about is the 10% that will end up in the pastor's pocket and it has no single resemblance to any tithe practice in the bible. It's a horrible caricature.

you are imagining a change only in your head. the Bible clearly states that the people wanted to keep the word as Moses gave it. You said no, they changed it.

Storage was not novel before Hezekiah. When agric produce are collected, it is common sense that there would be a place that it was stored. That a certain passage mentions it first does not COMPULSORILY mean that it is the first time. The people in Moses time sure had stores/storehouses. The storehouse/store or barn is what can also be called chamber. Its just a room for purpose of storage. No hard and fix rules about it.
Deu 28:5 Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store.
Lev 25:22 And ye shall sow the eighth year, and eat yet of old fruit until the ninth year; until her fruits come in ye shall eat of the old store.

The above scriptures show that storing things was not alien in the time of Moses. When Solomon built the temple, he built it with chambers. Chambers were in the house of God at his time too. Chambers are simply rooms, it is not a new discovery by Hezekiah.
1Ki 6:5 And against the wall of the house he built chambers round about, against the walls of the house round about, both of the temple and of the oracle: and he made chambers round about:

You do not have to read or comprehend so mechanically.

Stop trying to be too smart. I'm not talking about any storage facility. I'm talking about the store houses for tithes in the temple and i repeat that there was none before Hezekiah ordered them prepared. Yeah you're right the verse is stored in my head. I showed you from the bible were Hezekiah prepared storehouse in the temple for tithes, Now show us where Moses commanded chambers to be made for tithes.

No need throwing words into the air like you always say, just go ahead and show us from the bible

Agric produce was the main economy and increase in those days. The verse 37 for instance does not mention livestock. But they know that they were to tithe of all their increase even if Nehemiah does not say it. They had the Bible that said it. Even pagans knew what the tithe was, it was simply a tenth. The occupation, economy and riches of the common man in Bible days were measured mainly on agric produce not in naira and kobo or shekels. If you see rich men in Bible days, their riches were vastly from cattle, sheep, barns. It is not like today. We do not have to be so rigid like the pharisees were about the sabbath, and they thought Jesus was breaking the sabbath.
Most times when God talked about blessing or punishment, it was usually linked to agric produce as well, fruitfulness, rain, pests, diseases. It didn't mean that non-farmers(if there was actually anyone like that) were excluded from the blessing or the punishment.

You're the one who said they tithe from everything, Not the bible. Bible is very clear on tithable items and only farm produce and livestock qualify. Lev 27:30-33 defined God's tithe just as other parts of the torah described in detail the various types of items suitable for burnt offerings, peace offerings etc. God is always specific and he was about his HOLY TITHE.

You refuse to be specific about what is tithable but you insist on the tithe specifically going to the man called pastor because according to you, a minister always received it.

Why the double standard?

Christians are types of Christ, i thought that was the very meaning of the word "christian". Christians are priests in the priesthood after the order of Melchisedec. Jesus is our High priest. An high priest has priests.
Heb 6:20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:

There is nothing wrong with Jacob's tithe or format. The point is that he gave tithe of all God gave him.

Stop watering down the typology of Christ just to justify tithe. The name Christian came about because the pagans saw these people behaving like Christ, not because they were a type of Christ or a type of a saviour for the world.

Aaron was a high priest, did his children pay tithes to him? Did other priests pay tithe to Caiaphas the high priest? Was a Abram who paid tithes to Melchizedek a priest? Can you show me one place in the bible were a priest paid tithes to another priest?

If Jacob's tithe format is good enough, If i vow to tithe when God makes me president of Nigeria, will it be wrong?

So its God's tithe but you insinuate that you do not know who receives it? Are you just making arguments or discussing? In Bible study, there is what is called TOPICAL STUDY. That is, studying a particular topic , looking at all the places that that topic is found in scriptures. That is the normal way to do topical study. Its abnormal to say one scripture is the right and approved one, and that the others are not. Genesis talks of tithe, so do other books. One is not more right than the other, they are all together, completing and complementing the other.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Lev 27:30-33 defines God's tithe but the receiver isn't stated there and that's all i said. I leave you to make whatever inference you will from that. All you need do is go to Num 18:21-32 to see who receives it and i gave you that reference.

There you go again trying to force us under the law's format. The law is just a type a shadow. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for doctrine and for instruction. You are not God to force people to what they must do. Folks have a personal relationship with God and their tithes and offerings are accepted. It is not your place to disapprove.

But you reserve the right to force people to cough out 10% to your pastor? So you agree you're not paying God's tithe? God defined his tithe, If you wont abide by it, no problem but be honest enough to admit you've created your own format and then you're free to do as you please but don't come here and make it a doctrine.

Christ said if we give to the needy, we give to him so why make it compulsory that tithe must go to a man called pastor? Christ himself said needy people can receive on his behalf. If you wont follow God's specific instructions on tithe format, stop forcing others to follow the caricature practiced today.

i do not need to effect the rules, i simply reminded you of the rules. As a christian, you should be responsible and mature enough to obey them.

Thanks for the reminder but it is irrelevant here. You seem to be forgetting what Malachi discussed and i'm only helping my Christian brother not to mis-interprete the bible and i'll keep doing that so long as you keep forgetting.

Thanks
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Zikkyy(m): 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2013
Image123:
Tithe is a tenth of your income, your increase.

This is not God's definition of tithe o! this one na your own.

Image123:
Their need was food, clothing and shelter. They all had shelter as God gave them an inheritance and cities. Their food and clothing was from agriculture. the whole family was usually involved. That was their increase and their blessing. The average man was not after accumulating shekels but after cattle and big barns. It is so different today. Look for any rich man in the Bible, you would see that he was rich in agric produce. It was their sweat as it were, it was their daily bread.

The wealth of men is still not calculated based on the amount of cash in the bank. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Carlos Slim e.t.c are not assessed based on their cash. computation is still based on non cash asset.

Image123:
The major economy or source of increase in Bible times was agric produce. Every family had to be involved in agriculture. They all lived by seedtime and harvest. It is only the lazy man that was not into that.

Even in some rural areas today, you still find this kind of thing. Whatever the family may be doing, they will have land/farm and animals that they rear. It was more intense in Bible times. Their need was food, clothing and shelter. They all had shelter as God gave them an inheritance and cities. Their food and clothing was from agriculture. the whole family was usually involved. That was their increase and their blessing. The average man was not after accumulating shekels but after cattle and big barns. It is so different today. Look for any rich man in the Bible, you would see that he was rich in agric produce. It was their sweat as it were, it was their daily bread.

I do not argue the fact that the "major economy or source of increase in Bible times was agric produce". what i argue is Joagbaje's theory that cash was paid as tithe in biblical times and the thinking that cash was included in God's definition of his tithe. evidence from the bible revealed that God did not request for and the Israelite did not tithe cash income/increase. While the idea of redeeming ya tithe of agric produce was allowed, imposing a penalty of 2.5% was to discourage the israelite from paying cash in place of their agric produce. even though our society is much more sophisticated today, agric produce is still very significant (cos man must wack). Although there are more people earning income from the provision of services today (labour), the approach to earning your sustenance is pretty much the same when compared to the economy in biblical era. Goods are first produced (agric & industrial) before they can be converted to cash via sales. So when you say today's economy is more cash based, you should understand that it is the sale of your produce (agric or industrial) that generate cash (not different from the economy of the Israelite). God's tithe was from produce of the land (Production), he was never interested in cash generated from sales of the produce/goods.

Image123:
Today, we can also give tithe of our daily bread, whatever it is. God does not refuse it so far it comes from His children.

@bolded, i do not argue this. You can give a tithe of "whatever", it is for God to decide what to accept or reject. just like Candour, am only here to show why the giving of tithe of "whatever" income should not be made a doctrine.

3 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 27, 2014
Eclairs: It's no longer new we interpret our bibles in our own way and though you made some brilliant comments, your article may be seen as a way to justify ur decision not to pay tithe. Cant really begin to comment on al issues raised but my question to you is this. If we say tithin was directed to the isrealite/ levites as at tht time, does it mean the teachings of Jesus was also directed to those he was addressin as at tht time?

Countless time, I hav been severely purnished when I try to evade tithin. I'd miss my flight due to circumstance beyond my control, I'd get dupped on the high street and loads more but I thank God, it's al in the past.

ur article is sure to discourage loads of tithe payin believers but those who hav tastd the reward of tithin like me, will nt be moved. I however commend u for ur time in the article and hope nairalanders take time in readin it as well.

I now see How twisted some Christians have become. Even as u have read d truth before ur very eyes, your still trying to justify what I do not know. imagine u linking ur missing your flight as been caused by non payment of tithes.... smh.

The Bible said that the people of God perish because they lack knowledge, now I see people perish even though they have knowledge... Gosh!!! Africans have been completely brainwashed with religion.

2 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 05, 2014
KunleOshob, nice thread. The truest truth

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by PastorKun(m): 12:28pm On Aug 05, 2014
To the glory of God since this thread was started over six years ago, thousands of nairalanders have come to the knowledge of truth about tithes and it's irrelevance to the christian faith. The yoke placed by greedy men on several believers have been lifted and brethen are learning what true christian giving which is based on love means.

May more grace be multiplied to us all as we strive to live in conformity with Christ's true gospel.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by femicyrus(m): 1:57pm On Aug 05, 2014
Eclairs: It's no longer new we interpret our bibles in our own way and though you made some brilliant comments, your article may be seen as a way to justify ur decision not to pay tithe. Cant really begin to comment on al issues raised but my question to you is this. If we say tithin was directed to the isrealite/ levites as at tht time, does it mean the teachings of Jesus was also directed to those he was addressin as at tht time?

Countless time, I hav been severely purnished when I try to evade tithin. I'd miss my flight due to circumstance beyond my control, I'd get dupped on the high street and loads more but I thank God, it's al in the past.

ur article is sure to discourage loads of tithe payin believers but those who hav tastd the reward of tithin like me, will nt be moved. I however commend u for ur time in the article and hope nairalanders take time in readin it as well.

I stopped paying tithe for a year and within the year i bought a Car which i have used for God's work and i started paying again but i cant really achieve anything tangible as a civil servant for that year. So eclairs i dont accept this your believe. So should i on this basis ask people to stop paying tithe? The word of God should be the standard
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by PastorKun(m): 6:26am On Aug 06, 2014
Tithing as it is preached in Churches today remains the biggest fraud in the history of mankind, don't be a victim.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by vooks: 3:34pm On Sep 25, 2014
Tithing is a late Christian doctrine that took off around 450AD. That for the first 400 years of CHristendom NOBODY tithed means they missed all those Malachi blessings?

Be ware of those 'new' revelations

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by PastorKun(m): 4:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
vooks: Tithing is a late Christian doctrine that took off around 450AD. That for the first 400 years of CHristendom NOBODY tithed means they missed all those Malachi blessings?

Be ware of those 'new' revelations

Actually the idea of tithing in christianity was not introduced till the year 567AD and actually practise in the church was not till 587 AD after the council of Macon. Even then it was still tithe of agric produce. Monetary tithe from income is even more recent, it was introduced by American evangelical churches as recently as 1873AD less than 150 years ago.

2 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by segyemaro(m): 8:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
Tithe! Tithe!! Tithe!!! None of the pastors have been able to explain Deuteronomy 14:22-end , because they can't deceive their members into Tithing through this chapter

2 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by PastorKun(m): 9:23am On Jan 07, 2015
segyemaro:
Tithe! Tithe!! Tithe!!! None of the pastors have been able to explain Deuteronomy 14:22-end , because they can't deceive their members into Tithing through this chapter

Yes oh, I challenge any pro tither to come and explain to us why churches don't preach. Tithes as it is instructed in scriptures (deut 14:22-29) and rather they have to redefine it to suit their greed.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by dorox(m): 10:30am On Jan 07, 2015
PastorKun:

Yes oh, I challenge any pro tither to come and explain to us why churches don't preach. Tithes as it is instructed in scriptures (deut 14:22-29) and rather they have to redefine it to suit their greed.

Tithe is only ten percent of your gross income, surely that is not too much money to give me God? grin grin
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by MarkMiwerds(m): 11:44am On Jan 07, 2015
From my Blog:
"Do It By The Book"

God never commanded anyone in His Word to tithe money to a Church or a Temple. Yet, so many In Churches around the world today are lied to every time the offering plate is passed. “God requires you to tithe your money” is spoken from the pulpit. “If you don’t tithe, you are a God-robber! You are cursed!” Is often shouted to put the laity in a state of guilt and condemnation. Relax Saints of God… Fear not. God never authorized that pastor to speak those deceitful and unkind words to your ears.

Let’s examine the Scriptures and see what they say concerning
God’s commanded tithe, shall we? But first, let us visit two sons of Aaron at the Tabernacle…

Leviticus 10:1-2 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

In the above text, two of Aaron’s sons were struck dead because they offered “strange fire” to God upon the altar of the Lord. What exactly was this “strange fire” that they offered that so displeased the Lord? We are not told. But we are given a special insight as to how precise God wants our offerings to Him be. Nadab and Abihu had offered something that God had not commanded.

Now, one would think, “Hey, at least they were offering something to God. What wrong can be in that?” But God said they offered something that was not commanded.

A lesson should be learned by all from the reading of the account of Nadab and Abihu. That lesson is, “Do It By The Book”.

God has given us His Word as an instruction manual. This “manual” tells us what God expects of us as His dear children. If we are disobedient, God’s chastening hand will be upon us. It surely was upon Nadab and Abihu when they offered strange fire upon the altar. The manner in which we are to live is laid out for us in the New Testament section of the Holy Bible.

Now, please don’t go off on a tangent, saying I don’t like the Old Testament. I do. I cherish both the Old and the New. I read them both and learn from them both.

But the fact is, the New contains the pattern by which God wants us to live today. Hebrews 8 tells us that in AD 66 the Old Covenant was ready to pass away and that God was bringing us into a New Covenant. We cannot live in the Old Covenant promises, curses, edicts, laws, statutes, and ordinances. God doesn’t expect us to.

In AD 51, the Apostles met in Jerusalem with the religious leaders of the day. Their order of meeting was to discuss Gentiles who had been recently converted to faith in Christ. The religious leaders of Jerusalem were insisting that the Gentiles had to keep the Law of Moses or they could not be saved.

The Apostle Peter spoke before them all, rebuking them for placing a yoke upon the Gentile Brethren that neither the Jews of that day, nor their ancestors could keep themselves. Peter told them they were tempting God in their demands. The Apostle James said the religious leaders were overthrowing the souls of the Gentiles.

At the close of the meeting, James wrote a letter to the Gentile Believers and sent it to them by the hands of Paul and Barnabas, telling the Gentiles that the Apostles had given no such command that they keep the Law. He also sent Judas and Silas with the same words, but not written… they were to speak to the Gentiles, telling them that they were not commanded to keep the Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law was part of an Old Covenant that was soon to pass away.

In many Churches around the world today, there is a doctrine being taught that could be called “strange fire”. That doctrine is the monetary tithe requirement doctrine.

Pastors will stand in their pulpits and preach from the Old Covenant the command to tithe that was given to Israel. But, they replace the tithe God commanded, an agricultural tithe, with a tithe consisting of money. It no longer is the tithe that God required of Israel. It has become “strange fire.”

No longer the agricultural tithe that was commanded by God for the children of Israel in Mount Sinai, (Leviticus 27:30-34) it is now a monetary tithe. No longer a tithe that was to be given to Levites, to widows, to orphans, to strangers in Israel, (Numbers18:21,24,26,28; Deuteronomy 14:22-29; Nehemiah 10:37-38) it is now given to pastors of Churches around the world.

The “tithes” were good when God had control of them, but modern-day Nadab’s, modern-day Abihu’s have turned them into a “strange fire” which God never commanded. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Many pastors today are tempting God and putting a yoke upon their congregations that God never authorized them to do.

Search the Scriptures. When you do, you will find that God’s holy tithe was never commanded for the New Testament Church, never carried to the New Testament Church, never collected in the New Testament Church, and never controlled by the New Testament Church.

Pastors would do well to set aside this sin of preaching a strange fire and offering it to God in the Sunday prayers. Seek out what the New Covenant says concerning the saved and their giving. They are not to be coerced into giving, they are not to be made to fear a curse from God. Rather, they should be taught to give simply because “they love Jesus.”

Teach them as the Apostle Paul taught the saints and brethren at the Church in Corinth… as they purpose in their hearts to give, give cheerfully and willingly God will be honored more by a loving offering than by “strange fire”

Do it by the Book

People, If you insist that God requires you to tithe, that you are being obedient to God and His Holy Word, at least have the decency and respect for God and His Holy Word to do it in accordance to what He has written in His Holy Word.

When you tithe, don’t take it to a Church in a Gentile land. God never commanded such. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and take it to the Promised Land. ( Deut. 12:1,10-11)

When you tithe, don’t give it to a Gentile preacher. God never commanded that. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and take it to the Levite, the widow, the orphan and the foreigner (which would include yourself) in the Promised Land. ( Deut 14:22-29 )

When you tithe, don’t tithe money. God never commanded such a tithe. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and tithe agricultural products that are grown in the Promised Land. (Leviticus 27:30-33)

If you insist on tithing, don’t tithe that which comes from Gentile hands on Gentile soil. God never commanded it. Instead, do it by the book, as God commanded, and move to the Promised land Israel so you can cultivate the land and have the tithe that God required in the Mosaic Law.

But remember…
.Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

If you are not going to “Do It By The Book”, don’t try to convince me that you are being obedient to God in tithing. It is just the opposite… you are being rebellious to what He decreed concerning how His holy tithe was to be observed and kept.

Maybe it’s best you stop offending in that point of the Law and just submit to God’s will concerning your giving today.

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

God does not require tithe of your money. Instead, He wants you to give simply out of your love for Him.
Not as others dictate, but as you choose in your heart. Give with a willing heart; not because you have to, but because you want to… and He will be pleased.

2 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by imagrg(m): 1:21am On Jan 16, 2015
I have a special message for every Christian . Don"t be deceived by your pastor. Satan has taken over most churches today and many are lead astray by supposed men of God who initially had His Calling. The love of money and fame now puts them and those who believe in their tithing doctrine on the threshold of destruction. Payers of tithe and sowers of financial seeds in the House of God are robbers and helping to propagate false doctrine on salvation which can not be bought with money! Give your one tenth to the poor, widows and the less privileged in the society and God will richly bless you! worship God in Spirit and in truth not with money. Don't entice the pastor with money. And pastor lay your treasure in heaven and not on worldly things. And remember, your calling is greater than gold and silver! Jesus said you can not worship God and mammon at the same time. Leave one for the other! Chose God today and you shall be His true Servant! God bless you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 1:27pm On Jan 16, 2015
It don't matter how many times you tell them, they won't listen.
Trying to bring a tither to Christ, is like trying to bring the Pope.

Tithers are to set in their own beliefs.

The truth is written, and these so called want a be Christians rather not read the truth, but seek only after the Mammon these pastors preach.
Bring all your tithes into the storehouse so my house will be full of riches.

This shows clearly these so called believers rather listen to this false doctrine, because Christ wasn't rich enough."
How can anyone survive, on just seeking the Lord and his Kingdom?

Tithers who are in these prosperity Churches, are only there because they are just as Guilty as everyone else who sits beside them.

Keep up the good work get that word out.
imagrg:
I have a special message for every Christian . Don"t be deceived by your pastor. Satan has taken over most churches today and many are lead astray by supposed men of God who initially had His Calling. The love of money and fame now puts them and those who believe in their tithing doctrine on the threshold of destruction. Payers of tithe and sowers of financial seeds in the House of God are robbers and helping to propagate false doctrine on salvation which can not be bought with money! Give your one tenth to the poor, widows and the less privileged in the society and God will richly bless you! worship God in Spirit and in truth not with money. Don't entice the pastor with money. And pastor lay your treasure in heaven and not on worldly things. And remember, your calling is greater than gold and silver! Jesus said you can not worship God and mammon at the same time. Leave one for the other! Chose God today and you shall be His true Servant! God bless you.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KingGBsky(m): 8:12am On Dec 27, 2015
[quote author=Eclairs post=1964135]It's no longer new we interpret our bibles in our own way and though you made some brilliant comments, your article may be seen as a way to justify ur decision not to pay tithe. Cant really begin to comment on al issues raised but my question to you is this. If we say tithin was directed to the isrealite/ levites as at tht time, does it mean the teachings of Jesus was also directed to those he was addressin as at tht time?

Countless time, I hav been severely purnished when I try to evade tithin.
What you refused to acknowledge is the fact that says "my people perish for lack of knowledge" christ did not die for us to be governed by pastors but for us to be free and live to do the will of God. Christ paid for all our sins and everthing on the cross, he paid all our debt. The in the old testament God knows the people have to follow the steps of making sacrifices and paying of tithes in other to prepare for the coming of christ.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KingGBsky(m): 8:26am On Dec 27, 2015
Tithing:
The means of paying tithe in the old testament was for the remission of sins and for providing for the priest and ministers of God for they devoted their time and all in which most of them did not marry but tend to God's needs. The were not having much so the people have to provide for them through paying of tithes which is done in every third year; I hv nver heard any pastor in my life time preached about this, and also to bring the tithe to the place Of God and eat it and also giving to the poor and foreigners and needy so as there should be much to go around, this also the pastors do not preach about. Christ came to die for the remission of our sin so we can do 1 THING even as he commanded his disciples before he went to heaven acrding to matt 28v19-20 "go ye therefore and teach all nations baptizing then in the name of the father....
this is our aim and motives in life to do God's work not to be all time members of a church led by pastors when we have learned the its time to go out and preach.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KingGBsky(m): 8:35am On Dec 27, 2015
Preach the word of God among all nations, that is if we are called by God to do HIS work, but if not be good and cheerful and through you others will change. This is the main purpose Christ came to die for our sins in other to bring change to mankind so we can live in eternity in the kingdom of God. We can finance the Gospel of God as in the early church were people were tasked to bring belongings in other to propagate the work of God. Pasteors will task you for eventually everything, in tithing, they will task you, if they want to do anything in the church, they will task the members, if they want to open branches they will task the members, what pains me most is that they will even task the members to help them build schools the members children cannot attend. They treat the poor like rags and glorify the rich. Church today especially in Nigeria is a business organisation and not the gatthering of Gods people to propagate the things of the kingdom. This is one reason I like the Jehovah witnesses.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:42am On Dec 28, 2015
The school buildings are not funded by the Church-every "Church" is funded by the government.
Having a Church-means its tax free, and if they were to build schools, then they would have to pay taxes, but because it's Government funded-its tax free. Same with everything the Church supplies-books, papers, uniforms, everything is tax free, it's only the supportive families who buy and pay taxes. Every Church is Government funded-don't forget the Church is supposed to be a house of prayer, not a house full of riches.

KingGBsky:
Preach the word of God among all nations, that is if we are called by God to do HIS work, but if not be good and cheerful and through you others will change. This is the main purpose Christ came to die for our sins in other to bring change to mankind so we can live in eternity in the kingdom of God. We can finance the Gospel of God as in the early church were people were tasked to bring belongings in other to propagate the work of God. Pasteors will task you for eventually everything, in tithing, they will task you, if they want to do anything in the church, they will task the members, if they want to open branches they will task the members, what pains me most is that they will even task the members to help them build schools the members children cannot attend. They treat the poor like rags and glorify the rich. Church today especially in Nigeria is a business organisation and not the gatthering of Gods people to propagate the things of the kingdom. This is one reason I like the Jehovah witnesses.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by ispoa(m): 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2016
Well just wanted to add my two cents o. Is circumcision a law for Christians? Acts 15 clearly says no as the burden of the law has been removed for us Christians and mosaic law was impossible to keep anyway. that was the curse of the law as every body will fall in one thing or the other. Why don't we keep seventh day Sabbaths as Christians? The same bible says if we keep one part of the law, we were bound under all the law. Nobody is saying we should not support the church or give, the disciples usually sold all they had. But most of the verses here are being misconstrued, Jesus was telling the Pharisee that why can he boldly keep the law of tithe, but he was not willing to keep the other laws to be righteous and merciful etc. We can not argue that the biblical tithe and the tithe the church collects today are even the same, it is blind devotion. Before we all go and be cajoled under Malachi 3, we should read Deuteronomy that defines tithe according to the law - even though I won't advice that as Jesus himself says if we give ourselves to one part of the law, we are condemned to follow all the parts of the law, including things we as Christians are quick to condemn as old eg sabbath, animal sacrifices etc. eg G_d telling Peter to eat of unclean animals via the law and him being reluctant and G_d had to emphasize that why was he calking things G_d had made clean unclean. Are we under the bondage of the law? no. That was why Jesus died for us. Going back to Deuteronomy we see that tithe was paid in threes, to the priest, then to the levite, in today's parlance the levite will be the desolate as they weren't allowed to have property. Interestingly v26 says ....bestow the money for whatever thy soul lusteth for and that includes "strong drink" . Brethren, read the bible for yourself and don't let any man extort from you or deceive you or force his views on you. Some preachers may have made you believe strong drink was bad, but this is it in the bible plainly. All I'm saying is read your bible for yourself and whatever your spirit tells you...do. Don't pay a 10% of your income so as to justify the law. Beware. Do it because you want to because G_d loves a cheerful giver, and he doesn't look at the outward appearance of men but their hearts. This is my understanding o, it is not binding on you.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 10:57pm On Jul 10, 2016
The truth is your pastor does tell you about tithes, it was after I was saved, Not Jesus Himself-nor in His word-but it was the Church had told me about tithes.
And every church holds a pastor-and everything that comes down is from the top is told to the Church-So yes the pastor tells the Church to pay tithes. Of course the Pastor believes he/she is either Jewish or maybe a levite priest-and maybe you Christians believe you are Jews instead of Gentiles, Not even in Israel the Jews pay tithes.
And all you tithers who choose to pay tithes in cash then at least do the right thing and obey the rest of the other 612 Mosaic Laws, that was given back then. Do what the pastor does I am sure he/she obeys those laws?

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (40) (Reply)

Cultism, The Spiritual Consequences And Deliverance Through Christ / The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Must Read!!why And How I Became A Satanist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 247
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.