Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,028 members, 7,807,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (208687 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by seguno2: 5:35pm On Mar 13, 2008
Image123:

@Kunle@seguno
why do you guys have to come and try to discourage people from doing good.If you're not convinced about paying tithes,then keep that to yourself and seek counsel,instead of treating the tithe payers like they are blasphemers.We have so many people doing vividly wrong things even here on nairaland,why not go show those people some truth instead of drawing people away from their bible based beliefs.The Word says
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
So beware

I believe it is only fair that you should also keep your convictions about paying tithes to yourself and not mislead people by misquoting the Bible and issuing threats to people. Rather, you should beware that God's wrath is not visited on you for such misleading interpretations.
Paying tithes to your church (= pastor) is NOT the only way of doing good as Jesus Christ demonstrated in his life & teachings. I beseech you to read your Bible again very carefully.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by seguno2: 6:09pm On Mar 13, 2008
bums:

onetenth of your income belongs to GOD period!

I believe you have not read fully the ONLY detailed text in the Bible on WHAT/HOW tithes are/should be dealt with i.e. Deuteronmy 14: 22 - 29
Moreover, your God is not the same as your church ( = pastor).

bums:

check out all those unforseen expenses lik medical bills,suddenbreakdown of your car or electronics,police case,and al sort of accident that wil require spendin of moni etc these ar al the devourers GOD refers to in mal 3:11.

I guess if your mind is switched to such linkages that is your personal belief.
However have you wondered what non-Xtians, (i.e. those who have never paid tithes and will never till they die) think about such events that you label "devourers"
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by fotodaddy: 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2008
People of God and the others. wink

We are in the dispensation of grace. Why you wan judge another man's servant??

The Bible says that whatever is not of Faith is sin? If the man does not have faith (by your judgement) and so does not tithe leave am to God to judge (if e need judgement) . You wey get faith and dey tithe, congrats to you. Pray for your brother to grow in grace (if that is the problem) so he too go dey tithe.

God no need any of una money. The cows on a thousand hill are his own.

People be wise grin
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 13, 2008
kunleoshob,seguno,imhotep,Enigma.
Thanks for all your contributions.
Like you I was set free from the guilt of "paying tithes" a few years ago.
and at that time I thought I was being heretic because I had studied tithing on my own and was convinced it was not required of me before I recieved my blessings
I had never heard that teaching from anyone at that time.
I came to that conclusion after a personal study of tithes and found that what whatr we were being terrorized into doing was nothing like the Israelites did and that the preachers that cited Abraham failed to tell us that Abraham gave a tenth of his spoils of war.
I kept it to myself for years for fear of being labelled by fellow Christians.

Christ lived and walked around on earth physically and I read no where that he received tithes from the multitudes.
The greatest priest,our Lord and saviour Jesus received no tithes
Neither did his disciples and early Christians.
and the only time he mentioned it was while rebuking pharisees who were law keepers
Are we now pharisees?
A research into the history of modern tithing revealed that the Disciples of Christ and early Christians paid no tithes until hundreds of years after the death of Christ.
A purely fundraising venture by the Catholic church and it stuck.

I don't pay tithes.
I don't owe tithes.
I give offering of my income to my church,church members in need,various Christian charities.
I'll willingly support the church in my village,send money to have a few bags of rice and meat shared to the women at Christmas.
I'll send money to support a missionary.
support victims of hurricanes and the less priveledged.

That's what I know God requires of me
and I've been truly blessed financially in doing this.

Those that want to pay tithes as an obligation can go on doing so
I will not condemn them

I'm just glad to be free from the guilt I felt for years whenever I missed my tithes
and I'm even happier that it took me a study of scriptures on my own to find this out.

note.
This is not to puff myself up or blow my trumpets but to say that I truly now understand what it is when Christ says,if I did it to the least of my brethren I did it unto him.

and daily I consecrate myself to him and ask that he teaches me and corrects me and I'm ever willing to learn.
So far I have peace in my convictions and my heart does not condemn me unlike before when i nlived in fear and guilt.

Let God alone be true and all men Liars
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 2:37am On Mar 14, 2008
@kunleoshob
hey,take am easy,no be fight now.I'm not trying to force you to pay tithes,thats not my goal and it has never being.My point has been,although tithes isn't a weighty matter,it is good.Ive never said its a basis for salvation,all I'm saying is it is good to pay and it is written in the bible.I don't think tithing should be categorized under false doctrine.and as I said earlier,giving to God isn't the same as alms giving.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 2:51am On Mar 14, 2008
@seguno2
can you please show me how I misquoted the bible?I've not judged or condemned you so far,but its like you anti tithe people are the ones treating tithe payers and collectors like they are blasphemers and heretics.I believe that wen you present your understandin of the subject on a forum like nairaland,then you should be ready for differing views not telling others to keep thier view to themselves if you cant find biblical faults against such view.also I'm convinced that tithing is a good thing that should be encouraged,I didn't say it is the only good
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 3:06am On Mar 14, 2008
@nwando
Christ lived and walked around on earth physically and I read no where that he received tithes from the multitudes.
The greatest priest,our Lord and saviour Jesus received no tithes
Neither did his disciples and early Christians.
and the only time he mentioned it was while rebuking pharisees who were law keepers
Are we now pharisees?
A research into the history of modern tithing revealed that the Disciples of Christ and early Christians paid no tithes until hundreds of years after the death of Christ.
A purely fundraising venture by the Catholic church and it stuck.

neither do I read anywhere that he received offerings and some many good things we sometimes do.That doesn't make them wrong.He is the word personified and everly in support of the word.He in His wisdom has recorded all things that we need in his word either personally or thru his servants(the prophets and apostles).
I don't fully trust a research that is inaccurate as to many issues of that period
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 3:31am On Mar 14, 2008
Image123:

neither do I read anywhere that he received offerings and some many good things we sometimes do.That doesn't make them wrong.He is the word personified and everly in support of the word.He in His wisdom has recorded all things that we need in his word either personally or through his servants(the prophets and apostles).
I don't fully trust a research that is inaccurate as to many issues of that period

That shows you that tithes and offerings are not a requirement for salvation.
It is given freely without payment.
A christian who earns nothing and pays nothing is still a beneficiary of God's goodness.

He however taught me to do good.To give offerings,to take care of God's work,take care of the sick and widowed.
I have been blessed so I give.

He did not teach me to tithe.

Tithe on my dear brother if you choose to
If it makes you happy do it
I choose to be a cheerful giver smiley
It's not my portion to tithe and I'm satisfied with it.
Thank God that many are being set free from the guilt trip placed on them by men who choose to follow a law they were not commanded to keep.
seguno thanks again for this timely expose

let it be unto you according to your faith smiley
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 3:46am On Mar 14, 2008
1 Cor. 16:2, “On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come

so I give as God has prospered me not an amount set in stone.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by debosky(m): 3:56am On Mar 14, 2008
I believe the tithe is part of Jesus' will for us

He said 'this you ought to do' - Jesus doesn't utter any pointless words so I believe he wanted us to abide by the tithe. . .not as a strict regime, but as a guideline to lead us into greater and greater giving. If you learn by giving tithes, you will increase and give beyond that in good time. wink
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 4:20am On Mar 14, 2008
@nwando
thanks,I do appreciate your reply.I also give cheerfully both in and outside church.Tithe has nothing to do as regards salvation,but we are saved to serve.As debosky has rightly said,The master said "this you ought to do'.I believe with him that that matters.Even 'let there be light' doesnot contain that much words in a sentence,yet light obeyed.There is power in the words of the Master
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by fotodaddy: 8:21am On Mar 14, 2008
Who knows God? shocked Do you??

You have found Him out completely and now narrowed him to a set of dos and donts. embarassed

Its a pity how we major on minor and yet we dont know this God. God have mercy on us all and help always!!

People be wise

Get to know your saviour. His law is no more written in stone. Soften your hearts and let it be written there.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by oyemaiya(m): 11:46am On Mar 14, 2008
Nice contributions, that one orange in the market sold by one seller is bad doesnt make other oranges bad nor does it make orange an abominable thing.

There is a problem with this very generation and it is knowledge problem, we think we know and can interprete the truths of the scripture. Have you ever knelt and asked the Holy Spirit about tithing, You need no one to teach you for you know all things.

A woman who has been so faithfull in her tithe paying came back from office and found her children very sick, she tried coping with the ailment for some days and suddenly it became very was, she had to rush them to the hospital and was giving the hospital bill which was far beyond her capacity, she ran to the church inside the rain looked up in tears and cried out, Lord this cant happen to me for i am a tithe payer, while in the flood of her tears and proving God, her relative brought her two children to her in church, no one prayed for her she only challenged God with her faithfullness to tithe paying, if tithe paying was wrong i am sure God would not have answered such prayers for when we pray according to His will He hears us. (This is a true life story)

The same way we as stewards of the money in our care would give report/account for all we did with His resources, the same way the Pastors would stand to give account not only of the tithes we pay, but also of their stewardship, pastors have more case to answer than you, Remember the story of Eli & his household.

Pay your tithe, obey the scriptures and leave the church to use it how ever they deem fit, if you think your pastor has been misappropriating the funds, leave the church and let the Holy spirit guide you to a right place of worship. Dont look for a church to suit your selfish purpose.

I have been paying tithe since my JSS1 i have never had a better yesterday, even if He comes and says tithe is wrong its been working for me, i am not willing to stop, for it is my way of saying i love you Lord as i see Jesus in my pastors.

Thank God i have a God fearing pastor.

Ilove you all.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2008
I don't know why we keep arguing on back and forth on this issue off tithes when the bible in the book of hebrews states categorically that it is not required of us as christians and the priesthood of our lord jesus christ does not require it, (hebrews 7: 11-13) “it was on the basis of the Levitical priesthood that the law was given to the people of Israel. Now if the work of the Levitical priests had been perfect there would be no need for a different kind of priest to appear, one who is in the priestly order of Melchizedek not of Aaron. For when the priesthood is changed, there also has to be a change in the law. And our lord of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe and no member of his tribe ever served as a priest. It is well known that he was born a member of the tribe of Judah and Moses did not mention his tribe when he spoke of priests” another reason given was that becos Jesus christ is not a levite. If the bible says that Jesus christ is not qualified to collect tithes becuase he is not a levite how much less his followers. But today we have pastors claiming to be levites all because of the material gain they derive from it. The truth is that a lie that as been repeated to often assume a dimension of truth and that is why some of our christian brettren are finding it difficult to accept tithes is not required of them as christians.
Christian is about salvation, giving our lives to christ and worshipping him in truth and faith. You can never but your salvation with tithes that is not required of you. even then the bible encourages us to give freely (not under burden or guilt) so we as christians still have a duty to give our free will ofeerings generously to the church.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 5:33pm On Mar 14, 2008
oyemaiya:

Nice contributions, that one orange in the market sold by one seller is bad doesnt make other oranges bad nor does it make orange an abominable thing.

There is a problem with this very generation and it is knowledge problem, we think we know and can interprete the truths of the scripture. Have you ever knelt and asked the Holy Spirit about tithing, You need no one to teach you for you know all things.

A woman who has been so faithfull in her tithe paying came back from office and found her children very sick, she tried coping with the ailment for some days and suddenly it became very was, she had to rush them to the hospital and was giving the hospital bill which was far beyond her capacity, she ran to the church inside the rain looked up in tears and cried out, Lord this can't happen to me for i am a tithe payer, while in the flood of her tears and proving God, her relative brought her two children to her in church, no one prayed for her she only challenged God with her faithfullness to tithe paying, if tithe paying was wrong i am sure God would not have answered such prayers for when we pray according to His will He hears us. (This is a true life story)

The same way we as stewards of the money in our care would give report/account for all we did with His resources, the same way the Pastors would stand to give account not only of the tithes we pay, but also of their stewardship, pastors have more case to answer than you, Remember the story of Eli & his household.

Pay your tithe, obey the scriptures and leave the church to use it how ever they deem fit, if you think your pastor has been misappropriating the funds, leave the church and let the Holy spirit guide you to a right place of worship. Dont look for a church to suit your selfish purpose.

I have been paying tithe since my JSS1 i have never had a better yesterday, even if He comes and says tithe is wrong its been working for me, i am not willing to stop, for it is my way of saying i love you Lord as i see Jesus in my pastors.

Thank God i have a God fearing pastor.

Ilove you all.

My dear sister,I don't doubt this testimony but that woman was blessed because she gives to God's work not because she tithed,some of us that give unto God freely without legalism also have monetary testimonies that'll blow your mind.
I'm not giving you a hear say but my own testimony.
The Lord impressed in my heart sometime ago to sow a seed of less that $150 a month to a TV ministry as I heard the man of God preach and I knew without a doubt it was the Lord speaking.
And the Lord said he'll do miracles that'll blow our minds and he did.
We obeyed and 3 months later we got a financial gift over $150,000.
I won't go into details but this was not a business payment,not money owed but a windfall that blew my mind.
Many other miracles followed in quick successions.

I've had the Spirt of God impress on my heart to give a ceratin amount to a Church member and I immediately obeyed and have seen miracles follow.
I 've had God ask me to give to a stranger and I saw miracles follow.

God is no respecter of persons.

He says give and it shall be given you God measure,pressed down,shaken together and running over.

That is my inheritance when I obey him and give as he leads me.
The most important thing for me is hearing his voice and doing his will.
If God asks me today to give all I earned this month,I will not disobey because I've seen him take care of things for me in times past.

Let me give you another testimony.
Just last week,I got a statement from an account I was almost certain I had nothing in saying I had a balance of a couple of thousands.
I called and called and asked them to make sure and they said the money was mine.
I'll be going out later today to collect it.
My hubby has had that experience too.

Let's not condemn each other,brethren
A house divided cannot stand.
If we call on the name of the Lord,the Bible says we are His.
Everything I have has been given me by God.
Even my very soul is his
My desire always is to do his will
All my righteousnes is like a filthy rag without his Grace.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:34-35).
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 14, 2008
Image123:

@nwando
thanks,I do appreciate your reply.I also give cheerfully both in and outside church.Tithe has nothing to do as regards salvation,but we are saved to serve.As debosky has rightly said,The master said "this you ought to do'.I believe with him that that matters.Even 'let there be light' doesnot contain that much words in a sentence,yet light obeyed.There is power in the words of the Master

Thanks also for your kind response.
I'm happy we can talk about this issues without being offensive.
Let's delve into the act of tithing a little further,what did the law teach was the correct way to tithe?

Deuteronomy

14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year
14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

14:25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:

14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

14:27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

14:28[b] At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

14:29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest. [/b]

This was the singular passage that convinced me that God did not mandate me to give 10% of my income to anyone.
If one is guilty of one law (not doing the tithe as stipulated),you are guilty of all,the Bible says.
Up until that time,I had never eaten my tithes or the proceeds thereof as was stipulated.
So I chose not to be bound by the law.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 14, 2008
debosky:

I believe the tithe is part of Jesus' will for us

He said 'this you ought to do' - Jesus doesn't utter any pointless words so I believe he wanted us to abide by the tithe. . .not as a strict regime, but as a guideline to lead us into greater and greater giving. If you learn by giving tithes, you will increase and give beyond that in good time. wink

Love you as always my dear smiley
I also thought that was what Christ said until I realised he was addressing law keepers.
Pharisees were not his followers.
The scribes (law makers) and pharisees were legalistic folks and remember that the law was not done away with at that time.
And Christ did not say his followers ought to pay tithes,he said these pharisees who were eye servants and men who loved to show their righteousness ought to obey the weightier things of the law without leaving their tithes of mints and anise undone.
We are no longer under that dispensation.

With the coming of Christ,his death and resurrection,there became a change of priesthood becaus the old order was imperfect.
Read my last post on how the tithe was carried out,is that what you're doing?
I'm sure the answer is no,so my dear,it's not required of you.
Freely you have received,freely give.

let me post some parts of Matt 23 with all the woes on pharisees with all their tithes.

Mat 23:23   "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. Mat 23:24   "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
Mat 23:25   "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.[fn5]
Mat 23:26   "Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Mat 23:27   "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
Mat 23:28   "Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

Remember these men paid tithes of mints and anise and then consumed their tithes in the temple as we saw in Deuteronomy 14.
Then in the third year they gave the tithes to the poor,infirm,fatherless,widows and priests for their upkeep.
That's how to tithe.

We,the redeemed are required to give to maintain the work of the Lord if we translate tithes from what we ought to eat at the temple to what we ought to give to the Church as an obligation,it is no longer in line with the act of tithing.
Moreover,there's now a change in that law.

Bless you.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by koyedemi: 10:32pm On Mar 14, 2008
No need for a New testament believer to argue about tithing. Rather, all should concentrate on obeying all that the New Testament teaches about giving. There is no way you will obey New Testament in its entirety that you will give more than 10% of your income. Giving 10% of your income cannot be regarded as bountiful/generous giving that 2Cor 9:6 teaches.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 2:40am On Mar 15, 2008
@kunleOshob
I myself,I don't know why we are arguing back and forth on this issue of tithes.I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that Hebrews7 doesn’t say we should stop paying tithes.get another verse not this. The goal of the writer was to show the Jews that Jesus is superior to the priests, being a priest after the order of Melchizedec(a man superior to Abraham their father),it wasn't to discourage the hebrews from paying tithes.
Heb 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
The argument is on the side of the new covenant as better than the old covenant. He doesn’t say that the old is bad, no but that the new is better. The summary of the old covenant is, be circumcised and keep the law(go to the priest to continually offer various sacrifices and offerings) then you’ll be saved BUT the summary of the new covenant is believe in Jesus as the atonement and you’ll be saved.
The law refered to is the law of carnal commandments(of externals,sacrifices, works before salvation) or what some call ceremonial laws Heb 7:16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
All he was tryin to say is that the practices of Judaism do not save you but Jesus does.
Now see,if what you're saying is what he is saying i.e no more law no more tithe,that means there is no more need for faith.see matthew23
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

The Lord said the heavy heavy matters of the law(that carry weight in the%) are jugdement,mercy and faith.Tithe na minor thing 4law.If this is the law Hebrews says we do not require,then that means as NT believers,no to the law,no to tithe,no to jugement,no to mercy,no to faith.what is left, methinknotso
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 3:03am On Mar 15, 2008
@nwando
great testimonies.God is faithful.He says give and it shall be given unto you,a good measure, and running over.He never ceases to impress me.But also,lets have it in mind that gain is not godliness
Gal 6:6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
If you give,it'll be given unto you,thats the law.It doesn't matter if you're born a christian or a muslim.If you sow rice,you'll reap rice,spiritfilled or backslider.If you jump from a 7-storey building,you'll break something,born again or a philistine.If you're diligent and talkand think positively,you'll succeed,whether you're a pastor or an athiest.We should give thanks always and stay focused in serving God in love,no matter what we reap.In other words,gain doesn't prove that we are in line with God's standards of godliness,its the Word that proves that.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 3:39am On Mar 15, 2008
@nwando
on Deut14v22-29.I've explained something about it earlier on this thread,but no problem.Lemme just chip in a little.Firstly,we believers know that scripture agrees with scripture.If it seems not agree,then we should be humble to accpt that we are the ones who donot understand it.Let God be true and everyman a liar.
Deut14:22-29 shouldn't be taken in isolation.In the bible,there are different types of tithes(simply meaning 1/10) just as there are different types of offerings.Tithes are even sometimes classed under offerings.Recall 'bring ye ALL the tithes'?Let me quickly point out 3 different tithes in the law.-Tithes to the levite in the temple(see deut12v5,6 or numbers18v21)
Deu 12:5 But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:
Deu 12:6 And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
-tithes to levites and poor around you at home(see deut14v27-29),-tithe for even youself(See deut12v17)
Deu 12:17 Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:
-tithes for God(nehemiah10v38,39), etc
In those days,There was a first tithe that was given to the Levites, out of which they paid a tenth part to the priests, Num18:24-28; Neh10:37,38
Neh 10:37 And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
Neh 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.
. Then of that which remained, the owners separated a second tithe, which they ate before the Lord the first and second year; and in the third year it was given to the Levites and to the poor, Deut14:28, Deut14:29. In the fourth and fifth years it was eaten again by the owners, and in the sixth year was given to the poor. The seventh year was a Sabbath to the land, and then all things were common, Exo23:10, 11.
Notice the progression explained above again in this summary passage.Deut14:22 says "tithe[b] ALL[/b]" year after year(each year).then verses23-26 says eat second tithe with your household IN Jerusalem,then verse27-29 says tithe(simply meaning one tenth) to levites[NB;not levite priests in Jerusalem] neighbours and the poorS around you.In summary,what the Lord was imparting on Isreal is the attitude of giving.Giving to God,to His servants,to people around us and to ourselves and our house,not just amassing wealth and being stingy.Eccl5v13-20.God bless you
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 3:53am On Mar 15, 2008
Tithe is simply 1/10.There are no rigid rules as supposed.Tithing was done even before the levite priesthood and it was paid in different forms,not only crops(see Abraham heb7v4and Jacob) so levi can't dictate how tithes must be paid.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 12:43am On Mar 16, 2008
Image123:

@nwando
great testimonies.God is faithful.He says give and it shall be given unto you,a good measure, and running over.He never ceases to impress me.But also,lets have it in mind that gain is not godliness
Gal 6:6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
If you give,it'll be given unto you,thats the law.It doesn't matter if you're born a christian or a a great one.[/b]If you sow rice,you'll reap rice,spiritfilled or backslider.If you jump from a 7-storey building,you'll break something,born again or a philistine.If you're diligent and talkand think positively,you'll succeed,whether you're a pastor or an athiest.We should give thanks always and stay focused in serving God in love,no matter what we reap.[b]In other words,gain doesn't prove that we are in line with God's standards of godliness,its the Word that proves that.

suit yourself dear.
You can compare nwando to an atheist or Muslim because I maintain tithes are unbiblical in the new covenant.
That doesn't faze me.
pay your tithes if you believe you owe it.
I don't
my heart does not condemn me and I'm peace with my God.
See you in heaven! smiley
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 12:44am On Mar 16, 2008
Image123:

Tithe is simply 1/10.There are no rigid rules as supposed.Tithing was done even before the levite priesthood and it was paid in different forms,not only crops(see Abraham heb7v4and Jacob) so levi can't dictate how tithes must be paid.

There is no rule at all. grin
Give and it shall be given to you.
As simple as ABC
God's not cursing anyone. smiley
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 16, 2008
Image123:

@nwando
on Deut14v22-29.I've explained something about it earlier on this thread,but no problem.Lemme just chip in a little.Firstly,we believers know that scripture agrees with scripture.If it seems not agree,then we should be humble to accpt that we are the ones who donot understand it.Let God be true and everyman a liar.
Deut14:22-29 shouldn't be taken in isolation.In the bible,there are different types of tithes(simply meaning 1/10) just as there are different types of offerings.Tithes are even sometimes classed under offerings.Recall 'bring ye ALL the tithes'?Let me quickly point out 3 different tithes in the law.-Tithes to the levite in the temple(see deut12v5,6 or numbers18v21)
Deu 12:5 But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:
Deu 12:6 And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
-tithes to levites and poor around you at home(see deut14v27-29),-tithe for even youself(See deut12v17)
Deu 12:17 Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:
-tithes for God(nehemiah10v38,39), etc
In those days,There was a first tithe that was given to the Levites, out of which they paid a tenth part to the priests, Num18:24-28; Neh10:37,38
Neh 10:37 And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
Neh 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.
. Then of that which remained, the owners separated a second tithe, which they ate before the Lord the first and second year; and in the third year it was given to the Levites and to the poor, Deut14:28, Deut14:29. In the fourth and fifth years it was eaten again by the owners, and in the sixth year was given to the poor. The seventh year was a Sabbath to the land, and then all things were common, Exo23:10, 11.
Notice the progression explained above again in this summary passage.Deut14:22 says "tithe[b] ALL[/b]" year after year(each year).then verses23-26 says eat second tithe with your household IN Jerusalem,then verse27-29 says tithe(simply meaning one tenth) to levites[NB;not levite priests in Jerusalem] neighbours and the poorS around you.In summary,what the Lord was imparting on Isreal is the attitude of giving.Giving to God,to His servants,to people around us and to ourselves and our house,not just amassing wealth and being stingy.Eccl5v13-20.God bless you

God bless you too.
The levitical laws were just a shadow of things to come.
The area I marked in red says it all.
God asks you to give,if you can give 20,30,5 percent,you're still blessed.
I give freely.
I[b] am not required to give a heave offering anymore which is what tithes are.[/b]Read Deuterenomy again.
I will not be found guilty of not keeping the laws because I will not keep one and neglect the others.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 1:03am On Mar 16, 2008
Some pastors have gone as far as saying that people who don't pay tithes are robbers and no robbers will end up in heaven.
That passage in Malachi was referring to the levitical priests not born again believers.
People ought to be set free from that and guilt.
God is not cursing anyone,he's not a wicked man with a bag of diseases and misfortunes which he unleashes on non tithers as I was made to visualize.
He needs no burnt offerings,no heave offerings,no wave offerings but a sacrifice of praise.

Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 1:16am On Mar 16, 2008
Take a look at this and tell me if this is what our Saviour and Lord requires of us.

A heave offering (Hebrew: terumah), is a type of Korban (Biblical sacrifice), specifically a sacrifice which was a tithe. The term heave offering refers to the fact that such offerings were heaved (lifted) above the altar, as opposed to being waved around it, during their ritual. Heave offerings were the possession of the priests, and, if edible, could be eaten by their families, as well as the priests themselves if they were ritually pure[1].

Originally the term was not directly connected with sarifices, simply referring to taxes and gifts made to superiors (etymologically, terumah simply refers to the lifting apart of a quantity from a larger quantity), but as most of these taxes and gifts, in Jewish law, ended up at sanctuaries, the term came to have the sacrificial meaning; a transitional phase between these two meanings is observable in the Book of Ezekiel[2].

There were two groups of heave offerings:

Sacrifice/redemption of the firstborn:

Redemption of firstborn male children (Pidyon HaBen. Note that Pidyon HaBen redemption-monies are still given to Kohanim, and the Kohen still customarily lifts the redemption coins up as part of the contemporary Pidyon Haben ceremony, but the "heave" element is not a requirement for a valid Pidyon HaBen to occur in the absence of a Temple in Jerusalem under contemporary Jewish law.)
Tithe of First fruits (heave-offering of the Priests -
terumat haKohanim in Hebrew) (Not done in the absence of a Temple in Jerusalem).

General tithes:
Tithe of dough (Challah) (Contemporary practice is to burn rather than give to Kohen).
Portion of gift offerings, of slaughter offerings, which were allocated to the Priests.
Portion of the Terumat hamaaser (Levite Tithe - Applies only to produce grown in the Land of Israel. Contemporary practice is to set aside but to redeem with a nominal coin).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heave_offering

Thank you Lord for redeeming us from the curse of the law.
I leave the offerings of old to the orthodox Jews and the Christians who choose to pivk and choose the ones to keep.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 1:54am On Mar 16, 2008
@nwando
suit yourself dear.
You can compare nwando to an atheist or Great One because I maintain tithes are unbiblical in the new covenant.
That doesn't faze me.
pay your tithes if you believe you owe it.
I don't
my heart does not condemn me and I'm peace with my God.
See you in heaven!

Well,I’ve not said you are any of those group of people that I mentioned.Remember,I also mentioned Christian,spiritfilled,born again and pastor so its unfair for you to say I compared you to the bad guys only.The point I established was that you reap what you sow.You give it is given unto you,You pay tithes devourers are rebuked.Thats what the bible says.So for you to say you were blessed for giving doesn’t in any way prove that the other person’ll not be blessed for paying tithes.The 2practices attract blessing.Hope to see you in heaven too.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 1:59am On Mar 16, 2008
nwando:

There is no rule at all. grin
Give and it shall be given to you.
As simple as ABC
God's not cursing anyone. smiley

Tithe just means 1/10, 10% of something.Abraham paid tithes,it was no heave offering.same goes for Jacob.same goes for me.The point is tithe existed b4 the levi covenant.It doesn’t compulsorily have to follow the same pattern or regulation.The tithe that was given to the poor and widows was no heave offering,but it was tithe(1/10).If you decide to pay your tithes today,its simply calculated as 10% of your earning,income,increase,wateva
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 2:20am On Mar 16, 2008
nwando:

Some pastors have gone as far as saying that people who don't pay tithes are robbers and no robbers will end up in heaven.
That passage in Malachi was referring to the levitical priests not born again believers.
People ought to be set free from that and guilt.
God is not cursing anyone,he's not a wicked man with a bag of diseases and misfortunes which he unleashes on non tithers as I was made to visualize.
He needs no burnt offerings,no heave offerings,no wave offerings but a sacrifice of praise.

Not like I worship tithes,but what is right is right and tithing is one of such things,It may be a minor but it isn't wrong.That's why I try to clear misconceptions concerning it.That passage in Malachi was referring to the whole of Isreal.it saysMal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
And I think it affects us seein its so so close,just a few verses away from the NT grin grin grin
On a more serious note,
Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
Mal 3:7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes,
God says I change not.my values,principles,laws,likes and dislikes are the same,therefore ye SONS of Jacob arenot, He is clearly speaking to all of Isreal,and the blessings that were promised isn't for one tribe.Mal 3:12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightful land, saith the LORD of hosts. And I claim it for myself the same way I claim Psalm23 because I know he is speaking to me
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 2:41am On Mar 16, 2008
Thank you Lord for redeeming us from the curse of the law.
I leave the offerings of old to the orthodox Jews and the Christians who choose to pivk and choose the ones to keep.

In the old testament,the Jews tried to serve God and please Him so that they could be saved, but their works weren’t enough.In the new testament,we don’t need to serve or do good works to be saved, faith in Jesus saves us.but after we are saved,we should do good works.Those are the good fruits of the good tree.
Jam 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
That’s why we do good works,not because it is the basis of our salvation,but because we are a doer of the work.Some good works include tithing,praying,fasting,evangelizing etc.I think believers should do all these,but doing them doesn’t bring salvation.Not doing them doesn’t say you will go to hell but these we ought to do.We new testament believers are not required to observe wat i explained earlier as the ceremonial laws,but we'ld do well to observe God's moral laws.The old testament people also gave freewill offerings(Deut 12v6) and vows.They were commanded to,but today we still and you still give freewill offerings.We can't just say thats old testament,for the jews,I'm under grace,praise God no more freewill giving
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 2:50am On Mar 16, 2008
Abraham gave spoils from war not his own belongings and earnings.
I'm yet to wage a war and gather spoils

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Cultism, The Spiritual Consequences And Deliverance Through Christ / The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Must Read!!why And How I Became A Satanist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.