Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (208572 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 10:20am On Apr 18, 2008
@Ebonyj
Ebonyj:

Lets us all just pray that the Lord should give us a better understanding of his word. Personally the whole thread has left me confused,so I will go back and my knees and pray to Baba God to give me better understanding.
My dear there is nothing to be confused about, the issue here is that you have been fed with the word of man concerning tithes for several years and you were made to believe it because it was presented as the word of God, now the real word of God concerning tithes as been revealed to you as defined in the books of deuteronomy, leviticus and hebrews. I suggest as well that you go and do a thorough study of the bible concerning tithe again and pray for understanding, i am sure you would realise the truth and the truth shall set you free. Pease note that the original instructions concerning tithes and the definition of what it is what we have in the books of deuteronomy and leviticus, it is instructive to note that malachi which is often quoted does not even define what tithes is. the definition given to tithes in today's church is a mordern day invention, it as no biblical basis.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Ebonyj(f): 10:24am On Apr 23, 2008
Thanks anonimi
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by detruth: 11:39am On Apr 23, 2008
[size=14pt]All well said and done! I still believe that majority NEVER makes a right!
IF MAJORITY IS RIGHT THEN MAJORITY WILL BE RICH[/size]
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 1:15pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

All well said and done! I still believe that majority NEVER makes a right!
IF MAJORITY IS RIGHT THEN MAJORITY WILL BE RICH

my brother, this is not about the majority, it is about what the Bible, the complete Word of God says, which some gods of men who parade themselves as men of god are twisting in order to unduly obtain wealth from their unsuspecting congregation.

---------------------------------
Psalm 23: 3; Psalm 24: 3-5
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by sammyzacks(m): 3:57pm On Apr 23, 2008
the point most of us are not getting is that: not everything that was mentioned in the bible applies to Christians. for example, sacrificing animals was practiced by the isrealites but we don't have to do that today. purifications, observation of the Sabbaths, wars, were all done by the jews but today we dont have to do them cos Jesus has brought a new dispensation.

the question we need to answer is Does Jesus require his followers to pay tithes? and let us find scriptures to support that, otherwise we would just be talking doctrines taught by men and not biblical injunctions.

cheers my people.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 10:25am On Apr 24, 2008
sammyzacks:

the question we need to answer is Does Jesus require his followers to pay tithes? and let us find scriptures to support that, otherwise we would just be talking doctrines taught by men and not biblical injunctions.

Thanx for this contribution, this is what we should endeavour to do as christians so as not to be taken advantage of or led astray. As christians we should study the bible our selves and seek understanding. The mistake a lot of us make is that we assume that every word that comes out of the mouth of a pastor is the word of God, we forget that they are just Men like us and they are also subject to human follies and mistakes.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by elizabetta(f): 2:30pm On Apr 24, 2008
Kunle oshob i want to personally thank you for this topic,i share the same faith with you.Those that have ears let them hear you have said  all 
that is needed.i also advice Christian to read more of the new testament because that is where Christianity started from and the old testament was
written for our examples and admonition1cor10:11 it is not for us to practise.

kunle oshob do you attend church of Christ?

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by ashe2(f): 5:25pm On Apr 24, 2008
God loves a cheerful giver dat is one and no one who is called by God is dependent on a mere man dat is to correct the impression dat a true pastor depends on peoples tithes to survive and u who wrote the article u ve lost it i think somewhwre u just lost the true meaning of wat tithes are and basically the spiritual teachings i pray the lord open your eye of understanding maybe u are talking of your pastor but please dont generalise it cos my own pastor is an exception. i dont know wat uare up to but most of us christains God's own truly walk in love.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by detruth: 6:55pm On Apr 24, 2008
@ashe2
It is one of the signs of the end-time - blasphemy!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 7:38am On Apr 25, 2008
ashe 2,

how is your pastor an exception?
he does not ask his congregation to pay tithes?
do you depend on your pastor's word or God's Word as written in the Bible?
can you show me any of the posts against tithes that did not acknowledge the need to give cheerfully to God's work both in and out of the church?
do you think following the Bible and encouraging others to do so RATHER than follow a pastor's teaching is not walking in love?
have/do you read your Bible yourself, particularly the quotes on tithes as shared on this thread or not?
did you ask God to give you understanding as you were reading these quotes, if you have read them?
you may use the Bible search engine in this link to read the quoted scriptures, search words/phrases and more:

http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=1+John+4%3A1&ver=kjv

remain blessed.

----------------------------------------------
Mark 7: 6-13
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 9:45am On Apr 25, 2008
detruth:

@ashe2
It is one of the signs of the end-time - blasphemy!

That is true this whole issue of tithing is blasphemy becos God never requested it from us as christians and even the tithes that was requested of the people of israel at that time was strictly farm produce and not money as people are being deceived in to believing today. Obtaining money by false pretence in God's name is in deed blasphemy angry
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 10:00am On Apr 25, 2008
@anonimi
Thanx for responding to ashe2 on my behalf, she obviously doesn't read her bible, she only listens to what her pastor tells her. She is on of does who obviously hero worship (Idolize)(Idolatory) her pastor and this is a sin.
@ashe2
no one brought your pastor into this topic if you think your pastor is a saint you can keep that info to your self, we are discussing serious issues here and not trivialities. no one as said you shouldn't give cheerfully smiley to your pastor. if you don't undertsand what is being discussed in this thread keep your comments to yourself instead of just raising irrelevant issues
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by HisGrace24(m): 6:39pm On Apr 28, 2008
Brethren,the Word of God says The truth shall set you free  and I believe that God never change irrespective of past or mordern day interpretations of His word.

Most present day so called christians believe they`re saved because someone said so,while the reality is they`re are not saved.
And because they failed to realise what they need to be saved from,they thereby believe they`re saved after someone asked them to repeat citations.

What are you to be saved from? Many will say SIN,but that`s not the biblical truth. The truth is YOU NEED TO BE SAVED FROM GOD WRATH ONLY WHEN YOU`VE REJECTED SIN.
You are saved from God condemnation when you denounce that sin which you practise of which  God hates.It doesn`t stop there;AS YOU REJECT THAT SIN,YOU THEN PROCEED WITH THE NEXT STEP WHICH IS SPIRITUALLY ACCEPTING YOUR GUILT AND ASK FOR  MERCY .

IT`S ONLY THE SPIRIT OF GOD THAT WILL CONFIRM TO YOUR SPIRIT IF AND WHEN YOU ARE SAVED,AND NOT SOMEONE THAT TOLD YOU AFTER YOU REPEATED A CITATION. From this state,because you`ve known the truth (which God alone can impact) the truth will be light unto you.
I believe only the Spirit of God will explain  every word of the bible to you because they`re spiritual and a carnal mind cannot interpret them.

CONTINUE REJECTING SIN,AND THE  WISDOM FROM GOD WHICH SURPASSES ANY UNDERSTANDING WILL SEE YOU THROUGH.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Elgaxton(m): 3:44pm On Apr 30, 2008
KunleOshob,

Are u a wordite? cheesy

You sound like one, I like your defence so far.

I dey come make I go finish my research too.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 6:43pm On Apr 30, 2008
@his grace24
Thanx for your comment, i agree with you to some extent that sometimes we need the holy spirit to discern some parts of the bible. but some parts of it are very clear and written in simple language for all to understand. The bible was written by men for men to understand and benefit from. the words there are not coded. It is meant for our understanding. so saying that a carnal mind cannot understand the bible is the same as saying the bible is not meant for the ordinary man. I would submit that the statement the "carnal mind cannot understand the bible" is one of the statements religious leaders have been using over the years to manipulate there flock in to beleiving only their own interpretation of the bible. that not withstanding i still agree with you that some parts of the bible like the book of revelation needs a certain level of spirituality to understand. but that should not be misconstrued to mean that every word in the bible is spiritual and it cannot be understood by the ordinary man.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 6:49pm On Apr 30, 2008
@elgaxton
I am waitn 4 u grin grin grin
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:49pm On May 01, 2008
1Tim$v1,2.
Doctrines of devils,deceiving and being deceived,Hi,Kunle,do you miss me?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:51pm On May 01, 2008
1Tim4v1,2.
Doctrines of devils,deceiving and being deceived,Hi,Kunle,do you miss me?No hard feelings pls
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 11:07am On May 02, 2008
@Pastor Image 123
I miss you plenty no be small. grin I hope you have changed your mind about the false doctrine of tithes, or is it the false doctine you are refering to in 1Tim 4v1,2??
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 9:41am On May 03, 2008
The Word is already settled in heaven forever.It says in deuteronomy 'thou shall TRULY tithe'
Psalm119v142 Thy righteousness is an EVERLASTING righteousness and thy law is [b]THE TRUTH.[/b]Any other truth is a counterfeit brethren.The scriptures do not contradict each other.You pray 4 and seek understanding.You'll understand.'THESE ye ought to have done and NOT TO leave the other undone'
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by uf4oma(f): 10:35am On May 03, 2008
Image123:

The Word is already settled in heaven forever.It says in deuteronomy 'thou shall TRULY tithe'
Psalm119v142 Thy righteousness is an EVERLASTING righteousness and thy law is THE TRUTH.[/b]Any other truth is a counterfeit brethren.The scriptures do not contradict each other.You pray 4 and seek understanding.You'll understand.[b]'THESE ye ought to have done and NOT TO leave the other undone'
Well said, brother.

@poster, you need to be open to the Spirit and teachable. That's the hallmark of true faith. No one is insisting you should tithe but you seem to be propagating a gospel of 'thou shall not tithe' to others. That's wrong. Jesus said our righteousness should exceed that of the Pharisees. For all that was wrong about the Pharisees, they kept the law to the letter and even though their hearts were not right before God, they were sticklers for the letter of the law. If our righteousness has to exceed theirs, then we definitely have to do more than they did. Tithing is good and has blessings attached to it. Nothing in God's word is bad and we should not run around telling people not to carry out any part of God's word. If the problem is with the misusing of the tithe by some so-called pastors, those same people will equally abuse any kind of giving. And the abuse of wealth by pastors in the church is a different matter in itself. Let's be careful the sort of things we preach.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by sammyzacks(m): 1:16pm On May 03, 2008
this is my revelation about tithes:

Man must connect his prosperity to God -the source of the blessing.

God blessings are for us to enjoy, but while we enjoy them we must recognize that he is the source.

when God created Adam, Adam came and met everything he would ever need. And God told him to eat all "except the tree of the knowledge off good and evil. if you eat its fruit you are sure to die."

to every blessing God gives you there is a apart you must not enjoy, that part belong to God.

it is not a free-will offering, it is not for you to give it to God, it is compulsory, you must pay it to God.

If you eat it you would be eating a curse, because its holy and it belongs to God.

God calls it tithe.

Deut. 14:22 'you must set aside a tithe of your crops-one tenth of all the crop you harvest each year.'

Who do we pay tithes to?

The isrealites paid to the levites, Abraham paid to Melchizedeck

we would pay our tithe to the church of Christ symbolized by the local assembly where we fellowship and are being ministered to.

The man of God who you believe and trust to be set by God over you should take your tithe. If you believe that he is doing the will of God and that he is

under the authorrity of the lord, then pay your tithes there.
if you do that you would be paying your tithes to Jesus Christ who is the most high priest.

my brother and sisters, if you want a life of total surrender to God, a life of always recognizing that all you have comes from God, then pay you ttithes and dont you ever eat it cos as you eat it, you die (may be not physical).

God bless you my people.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by bigben3: 3:58pm On May 03, 2008
plenty confussion everywhere cheesy let's all seek genuine knowledge,which is the only thing that can set us free,chaooo! grin
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 5:59pm On May 03, 2008
@image, uf4oma, sammyzacks,

i am sure you have not read the scriptures quoted very well that shows beyond ANY doubt that tithes is NOT a law for Christians.
this specific message against tithes was written by Paul, a learned Jewish zealot to his Jewish fellows who had converted to Christianinty in Hebrews 7: 1-12. Verse 12 is unambiguous, For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
what law is referred to?
the law of tithes in the first 11 verses.
i hope you will no longer allow yourself to be conned or worse still conning people into the tithe guilt trap.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 6:09pm On May 03, 2008
uf4oma:

No one is insisting you should tithe but you seem to be propagating a gospel of 'thou shall not tithe' to others.
That's wrong.

and what exactly are you propagating here- that people should tithe?
so why do you want to shut off other people's bible based testimony that the tithe requirement changed with the salvation work of Christ?

uf4oma:

Jesus said our righteousness should exceed that of the Pharisees. For all that was wrong about the Pharisees, they kept the law to the letter and even though their hearts were not right before God, they were sticklers for the letter of the law. If our righteousness has to exceed theirs, then we definitely have to do more than they did.

the pharisees kept their man made traditions not God's law. have you read Mark 7: 6-13?
what does Jesus say there?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by uf4oma(f): 8:52pm On May 03, 2008
@anomini, you are just a confusionist. Where did I say people must pay tithes here? Your brain surely seems to be working overtime. shocked Besides, I don't see any meaningful contribution you have made in this thread other than gatecrash it and attack the people who have a different opinion from you. A little knowledge is very dangerous, far worse than ignorance and you should keep that so-called superior knowledge in your pocket. It smacks of spiritual pride; dangerous.

My stand: Don't pay tithes, noboby said you must. But don't run around telling people not to. That's why we are all free moral agents.

Also, check out this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=272.0.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by damola1: 10:01pm On May 03, 2008
I was on Okada, and I saw chris Okotie ride a Hummer jeep with about 2-3 extra cars as entourage, which in my own school of thought is a bit too flashy for someone in such a sensitive position.

I just stopped, and told myself, it's about time I did a research into tithes payment, I reviewed numerous websites, all christian websites, including wikipedia, where it's even elaborated that in some countries they are only made to pay: 1%.

All of the reviews of different parts of the bibles only emphasized the need to give as they will, you see the problem is not even paying tithes, but ones people feel they have paid something to God, then they rarely support others who really need support, and even when they do, it's only on a token level.

For example: a man earns: 50k per month, and already spends: 30k on fooding, housing, and transportation, leaving him with 15-20k as savings, if a neighbour or a brother of his, comes around and says, I really need to take care of say my education, and only need: 7k. From my own studies.

1. A man who paid 5k tithe, and saving: 10-15k: will most likely tell him I am sorry, because I have so and so project to do, and already living on a stringent pay, OR he'll simply give his brother say: 2k out of 5k.

2. A man who doens't see the compulsion in paying tithe, will most likely think, what the heck, I have got: 15-20k in my account, why not just support him with 7k.!

You see, #2 ,from the scriptures is what God really wants, paying out of will and desire, and in fact, when we do this, it's usually more than 10%.

Not paying tithes should not however stop us from not supporting our Local Church.

More people should be open minded and learn as this is all in the bible!

The overall emphasis is: LOVE, Sharing, and giving as your hearts wills!!!!, if you like, don't give, if you like give, but it's NEVER COMPULSORY to!!!, and thats the truth pastors with-hold, or do you know any pastor who has shed light on this on the altar?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by damola1: 10:37pm On May 03, 2008
And I don't like this idea of simply creating fear!

The bible said: my people perish because of,

this is an open fact!!!, this one no bi bojuboju,
Support your church as you wish, can be 105% of your income, but never do it out of compulsion, only out of desire!!!

And most importantly, love your neighbour like youself!!!, and I am more positive that we have a lot of neighbours to love!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 9:38am On May 04, 2008
@uf4oma,

i guess you are trying to confuse yourself and not me.
your post which i referred to was for what objective, what did it imply - to encourage people to tithe or to discourage them from tithing?
maybe you need to modify it.
shalom.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 7:41am On May 05, 2008
damola1:

All of the reviews of different parts of the bibles only emphasized the need to give as they will, you see the problem is not even paying tithes, but ones people feel they have paid something to God, then they rarely support others who really need support, and even when they do, it's only on a token level.

For example: a man earns: 50k per month, and already spends: 30k on fooding, housing, and transportation, leaving him with 15-20k as savings, if a neighbour or a brother of his, comes around and says, I really need to take care of say my education, and only need: 7k. From my own studies.

What I have highlighted and your example above is the essence of Christ's rebuke to the Pharisees in Mark 7: 6-13

6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 7:57am On May 05, 2008
uf4oma:

@anomini, you are just a confusionist. Where did I say people must pay tithes here? Your brain surely seems to be working overtime. shocked Besides, I don't see any meaningful contribution you have made in this thread other than gatecrash it and attack the people who have a different opinion from you. A little knowledge is very dangerous, far worse than ignorance and you should keep that so-called superior knowledge in your pocket. It smirks of spiritual pride; dangerous.

will you say your post above is not an attack on someone who has a different opinion from yours on this tithe matter
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by anonimi: 9:08am On May 05, 2008
@ damola 1,

you should also see 1 Timothy 5 verse

8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (40) (Reply)

Cultism, The Spiritual Consequences And Deliverance Through Christ / The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Must Read!!why And How I Became A Satanist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.