Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? (12153 Views)

Nature Of Funerals In Igboland. / Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? / Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Adufaye(m): 4:45pm On Dec 13, 2012
My friend whom lost his dad last 2 week,funeral is holding today....and women from different homes,have been cooking since morning....

His friends who don't care about the death of his father are busy pointing at the beer and wine they will drink, and how many they will finish tonite.

I don't see any reason why we should cook, i asked someone and he said to celebrate what he did when he was alive....

i want to ask if it is encouraging to cook and dink at funerals and your reasons

9 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Olodo1: 4:48pm On Dec 13, 2012
Because it is not easy to die.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Dec 13, 2012
Adufaye: My friend whom lost his dad last 2 week,funeral is holding today....and women from different homes,have been cooking since morning....

His friends who don't care about the death of his father are busy pointing at the beer and wine they will drink, and how many they will finish tonite.

I don't see any reason why we should cook, i asked someone and he said to celebrate what he did when he was alive....

i want to ask if it is encouraging to cook and dink at funerals and your reasons

I am with you on this question @OP. The Claim is that the partying is to celebrate what the departed did during his time here but in many cases, the departed mostly endured life and did nothing worth celebrating.

To me it is sort of like throwing a birthday bash for someone who has no clue that you are doing that in the first place, is not present and really does not give a darn.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Dec 13, 2012
Olodo 1: Because it is not easy to die.

hm . . . . interesting! And one would think that the fact that death is guaranteed for all humans, animals and most everything including the earth itself, it would be the easiest thing for all? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Emusan(m): 4:54pm On Dec 13, 2012
it depends, if d person is kind of old is lyk celebration dat's y it wil title lyk CELEBRATION of LIFE, GLORIOUS HOME EXIST e.t.c. Bt if d person is stil young i think is nt necessary because it is untimely death (may it nt be our portion in Jesus name)

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Kobojunkie: 4:56pm On Dec 13, 2012
Emusan: it depends, if d person is kind of old is lyk celebration dat's y it wil title lyk CELEBRATION of LIFE, GLORIOUS HOME EXIST e.t.c. Bt if d person is stil young i think is nt necessary because it is untimely death (may it nt be our portion in Jesus name)

If you must celebrate why ONLY celebrate the old when NO one is guaranteed to live to old age? I mean why is dead UNLUCKY when you are young and a hoot when you are old? Who makes that decision? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by k2039: 5:28pm On Dec 13, 2012
In celebration of a life well spent. Lol.

Frankly it's a default program, most people just follow the general convection, they just don't know why themselves, lol.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by olu4life(m): 6:33pm On Dec 13, 2012
As for me,i believe u celebrate when its an elder that is involved. But if its an untimely death,there is no need to cook. The only worse thing i've seen in such condition is to fry akara or puff-puff which most peeps wont eat sef. As for the older ones,na party tinx o

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by camaro(m): 6:34pm On Dec 13, 2012
Adufaye: My friend whom lost his dad last 2 week,funeral is holding today....and women from different homes,have been cooking since morning....

im also with you by your question and im just coming back from one. they even go as far as sharing gifts. my question remains WHY?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by miteolu(m): 6:34pm On Dec 13, 2012
So that people can cook & eat when you die. Do me I do you.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2012
Cause people go chop your own too when you die, so why not chop others while you are alive? undecided
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by blacksta(m): 6:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
You know your Nigerian peeps - very hungry bunch

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Chanchit: 6:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
Just try anounce that you won't be cooking when any of your parent dies, I pray they live long o, then wait to see how many people go show.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Dec 13, 2012
In Islam You can only cook for those who are coming for a far distance e.g people that are coming from kaduna to lagos or from zaria to abeokuta...

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by engrtee(f): 6:41pm On Dec 13, 2012
if item 7 no dey any gathering , people no go come.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Lordswillsmith(m): 6:41pm On Dec 13, 2012
for d remember of d dead person.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by phadat(m): 6:42pm On Dec 13, 2012
Frankly I don't understand the concept of cooking nd celebrating when someone passes ,you see pple coming around telling u will pay this nd that its really disgusting come to think of it someone passed nd you are billing the family before they can bury the dead SHM throwing are party cos someone died to me is an ugly trend folks go as far as borrowing to do this,I don't buy the idea and when such persons where alive was he/she taken care of by the family?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Obioso(m): 6:42pm On Dec 13, 2012
Cos is not easy to die
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:43pm On Dec 13, 2012
I swear!! This matter dey give me headache o!!

The funeral I attended, the only person that looked sober was the widow of the man... Some people even got drunk!!

It looked as if they were happy he was dead!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by batiatus(m): 6:44pm On Dec 13, 2012
no ideal cooking in burial for people. where i come from, people cook and send to the mourning family for a minimum of 3days.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by cold(m): 6:45pm On Dec 13, 2012
When my dad past away i was faced with the same dilemma. Although i do not support all the fanfare & carnival like celebration. But when people come from far & wide to commiserate with you they deserve to eat at least. It's the only fair thing to do. The dead are dead but life is for the living. My 2cents

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Lawconfessor(f): 6:46pm On Dec 13, 2012
GooD question @op.
My kid sis came bak frm a buddy's father's burial with "a big ceramic tray" wit d man's portrait on it, "a big towel" d man's pix on it too.

She told of d assorted variety of eats n drinks...
D man in question is nt dat old, jst one grand child.
For me, its nt really *a celebration of life* death.
I cud nt help bt imagine wot U jst asked.

Told her dt som of deir villa ppl wil be praying God for such feast again....SMH
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 13, 2012
because mst f our ppl ar nt idealistic and irrational. Rather, they ar dogmatic, blindly following traditions that ar meaningless, jst to feed their greed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by FlorenceOdudur: 6:50pm On Dec 13, 2012
Florence :It has been in practice for long,But I think it can be changed now.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 13, 2012
I always believe its not right especially if the person died at an unripe age. But if its at an old age..there is no qualms bout dat.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by yalwaysme1: 6:51pm On Dec 13, 2012
for my village na competition ooooooo
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by AlterEgoTM: 6:51pm On Dec 13, 2012
It's a disgraceful charade!

More like celebrating the fact that someone is dead. undecided

And for me, death is not/never a joyful occurrence. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by TableLeg(m): 6:52pm On Dec 13, 2012
Because funerals are filled with hungry folks!
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by TeenageMoney(m): 6:52pm On Dec 13, 2012
Well, as for me, i'll just give u this passage from the bible as quoted below....

A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth. Eccl. 7:1 NIV
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Metallurgist: 6:53pm On Dec 13, 2012
In islam if a person is dead the family are in grive as such exempt from cooking. The responsibility lies with able neighbours and relatives. And also the foodstuff is part of his/her inheritance which is unlawful to touch before its shared among its rightful owners
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Clemzy16(m): 6:54pm On Dec 13, 2012
oluface: In Islam You can only cook for those who are coming for a far distance e.g people that are coming from kaduna to lagos or from zaria to abeokuta...
What difference does it make?! Cooking is cooking.
Re: Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? by Lordave: 6:55pm On Dec 13, 2012
We cook and eat after funerals because we cooked and ate the time the dead was born.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant / Can Minorities Be Racist? / Zulu Maidens Bare Breasts As They Prepare For Mini Reed Dance (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.