Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,689 members, 7,801,984 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) - Literature (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) (147490 Views)

Devilish Comedian The Sequel To Evil Comedian / ANOTHER WEDDING.......A Play (sequel To Just Wedded) / Larry Sun,pls Post The Link To The Paradox Of Abel Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Queenxstar(f): 1:48am On Sep 21, 2014
Looking forward to Remi interview.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Toeyean1507(f): 5:55am On Sep 21, 2014
[quote author=ezeigbo194]Gan! Gan!! Gan!!! Gan!!!! [/quote Esinsin(housefly) carry kponmo!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by ezeigbo194(m): 6:20am On Sep 21, 2014
[quote author=Toeyean1507][/quote]

lol funny you gud Morning
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by bigsholly(f): 6:45am On Sep 21, 2014
Larrysun are You sure will have someone like lot in NPF? I only see someone like him in FBI
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Toeyean1507(f): 8:47am On Sep 21, 2014
ezeigbo194:

lol funny you gud Morning
. Morning. Trust ur nite was lovelier than mine
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by ezeigbo194(m): 12:06pm On Sep 21, 2014
Toeyean1507: . Morning. Trust ur nite was lovelier than mine

Mehn i dnt knw Oo
Bt it was lovely

so Hwz ur sunday going

1 Like

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Toeyean1507(f): 12:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
ezeigbo194:

Mehn i dnt knw Oo
Bt it was lovely

so Hwz ur sunday going
Still cool so far and thanks for asking.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Iaz93: 2:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
LarrySun: Oliver Iaz Twist. Lol! cheesy
LOL. grin
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by DzTzl(f): 3:03pm On Sep 21, 2014
i fnk u need to adjust Mr Tunde's interrogation part, in chpter 26 he was portrayed as sm1 who had issues with figure of expression & in d nxt chpter his english was fluent....#mythoughtsdou# bt dn i must confess dt ure doing a 1dafl job
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by ezeigbo194(m): 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
Toeyean1507: Still cool so far and thanks for asking.

can i pm u
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Toeyean1507(f): 8:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
ezeigbo194:

can i pm u
. Lol. Are u kidding me? Is it a kinda rule on Nairaland?
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by ezeigbo194(m): 8:57pm On Sep 21, 2014
Toeyean1507: . Lol. Are u kidding me? Is it a kinda rule on Nairaland?

i dnt knw Oo me i just asked a simple question that should be answered with a yes or no

if u r not Kul with dat its ok sha nice meeting u anyway
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Toeyean1507(f): 9:05pm On Sep 21, 2014
ezeigbo194:

i dnt knw Oo me i just asked a simple question that should be answered with a yes or no

if u r not Kul with dat its ok sha nice meeting u anyway
. Lol. I'm asking when it has become a rule that u ve to ask permission for ni o. I don read all d rules wey dey hia taya and anor c anyone dat says "members have to ask permission before sending PMs"...............*grinning
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by rapmike(m): 1:03am On Sep 22, 2014
I pity Famous. To be so used by someone you so loved, its a good recipe for hatred.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 1:55am On Sep 22, 2014
TWENTY-SEVEN

Remi walked into the room with quiet dignity. Lot got to his feet and intentionally introduced Daniel Famous to her, she barely made a gesture of acknowledgement to the footballer. A careless observer would believe Lot was giving the young woman a treatment usually accorded a VIP. Remi was composed but her face was pale and Lot’s experienced eyes detected the unmistakable ravages of distress.

Watching her as she seated herself, he felt a small jolt of familiarity; the lady had an almost inconspicuous resemblance with her mother, then Ruth perhaps also had a slight resemblance with her mother. There was a contrast between this young lady’s eyes and face, but it was a changing contrast; she had her mother’s intense personality shaped into rather barbaric beauty. Yet in one moment the face would be soft and the eyes gentle and uneasy, like the priest’s daughter. And in the next moment the face would be softened and the eyes brilliant and hard, like the devil’s daughter.

Then Remi returned his gaze and their eyes met. Her eyes were mild but intelligent, set beneath strong straight brows as dark as the strand of hair that fell over the end of one eye. She looked older and more mature than the last time he saw her. Her face, though devoid of make-up, was glistening. She was holding herself with controlled stillness, apparently willing herself to control the distress he had momentarily noticed in her eyes. He saw another thing there too; for a fleeting second there was a tinge of shame or disgust. Lot looked at her with eyes that studied, weighed, judged her, without the pretense that they were not studying, weighing, judging her. She flushed slightly under the frankness of his scrutiny.

Lot began, “Your name is Miss Remi Vera Johnson. Is that right?”

“That’s right. The first name came from my father, the second from my mother.” The voice too was not unattractive. He could understand why Famous was having a soft spot for her.

“I understand that you came all the way from Port Harcourt, is that also right?”

“That is also right.”

“When did you arrive?”

“I arrived a week before Christmas.”

“What was your purpose of coming here?”

“I came to visit my grandfather.”

“And your mother too, right?”

“She shook her head, “I didn’t come here for my mother. I don’t care about her. I came here to see my grandfather.”

“But that is contrary to what you told Mr. Famous here the first time you met him. You told him you came to Lagos to live with your mother.”

She looked at Daniel as though he were an ugly worm emerging from a plate of spaghetti. “I see that someone still hasn’t learnt how to hold his tongue. Does omerta even mean anything to you?”

“So, which one is really your motive for coming, Miss Johnson?” demanded Lot, “To visit your grandfather or to live with your mother? Or both?”

“I told you I came here to spend the Christmas with my grandfather. If you don’t believe that, I wonder how you believed Jesus calmed the storm or raised Lazarus.”

“You don’t have to be nasty with your replies, Miss Johnson. At least, you should consider our age difference. I’m almost three times your age. There’s no point in being rude when we can end this conversation quicker by being polite.”

“Did you call that being nasty? That’s weird.” She considered her words and said, “I’m sorry, I truly am. I didn’t mean to be rude.”

“It’s alright,” said Lot with a wave of the hand. “What can you tell us about the night of the unfortunate incident?”

She frowned at the question, the frown borne not out of anger but of bewilderment. “What can I tell you? I don’t know what to tell you besides the fact that my grandfather was found dead with a knife deeply embedded in his back.”

“Did you hear the scream?”

“What scream?” she asked, taken aback. Then the remembrance occurred to him, “Oh, that scream. Of course, I heard.”

“How did the scream sound?”

“It was a scream of terror.”

“Would you consider it the scream of a dying man?”

“I consider it the scream of something very horrible.”

Lot stared at her and nodded, “Where were you at the time of the scream?”

“She paused before replying, and when she did, he words came out slowly, carefully picked, “I was in my room.”

“Are you sure about what you are saying, Miss Johnson?”

“I am sure about what I am saying.”

“But someone claimed to have seen you run across the house right from the front yard shortly after the scream. The report said you were outside the house at the time, not inside.”

She opened her eyes wide in anxiety. Then the fear disappeared almost as fast as it had appeared. She asked in a rather calm and collected manner, “Who said that?”

“A little bird told me, Miss Johnson. Is there any truth to the claim?”

“The person who told you that must have been greatly mistaken. That person must have seen someone else.”

“And who do you think that someone else could have been?”

She shrugged, “I don’t know. I’m not the only female in the house, remember?”

They stared at each other; the interviewer and the interviewee, as if they were discovering something new and interesting in each other.

“Permit me to ask the Miss some few questions, sir.” Pleaded Daniel.

1 Like

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:11am On Sep 22, 2014
ezeigbo194: Gan! Gan!! Gan!!! Gan!!!!
Lol! Action film! Lol!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:12am On Sep 22, 2014
Queenxstar: Looking forward to Remi interview.
There you are. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:13am On Sep 22, 2014
[quote author=Toeyean1507][/quote]Lol! What does that mean? cheesy
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:15am On Sep 22, 2014
bigsholly: Larrysun are You sure will have someone like lot in NPF? I only see someone like him in FBI
There may be. But Lot works privately now.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:22am On Sep 22, 2014
DzTzl: i fnk u need to adjust Mr Tunde's interrogation part, in chpter 26 he was portrayed as sm1 who had issues with figure of expression & in d nxt chpter his english was fluent....#mythoughtsdou# bt dn i must confess dt ure doing a 1dafl job
Thank you, ma'am. I just didn't want to create another Chima-like character. Unlike Eze Chima, Tunde can speak English perfectly, he just doesn't understand idioms and similes. cheesy
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:23am On Sep 22, 2014
rapmike: I pity Famous. To be so used by someone you so loved, its a good recipe for hatred.
It's so sad. sad
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:26am On Sep 22, 2014
Ezeigbo194 and Toeyean1507, stop derailing o!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by rapmike(m): 4:04am On Sep 22, 2014
Oya, time for the Famous Hour! Lolz

Hope his emotions does not get in his way.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Toeyean1507(f): 5:32am On Sep 22, 2014
LarrySun: Ezeigbo194 and Toeyean1507, stop derailing o!
. Lol, my partner in conversation don make our boss vex. Sowi sir, we go carry our bargain go anoda thread. *smiles
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by ezeigbo194(m): 5:37am On Sep 22, 2014
LarrySun: Ezeigbo194 and Toeyean1507, stop derailing o!

Sori sir got carried away
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Toeyean1507(f): 5:37am On Sep 22, 2014
LarrySun: Lol! What does that mean? cheesy
. What sir?
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by seunviju(f): 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Daniel and Remi season film wan start
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 3:20pm On Sep 22, 2014
wonderful!!! Remi is hotter than fire

can't wait to read the next update

ghen ghen ghen!!!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
“Go ahead.”

The footballer became his most serious self. He looked at the lady; he was beginning to see her with a different pair of eyes. One additional quality he thought he was noticing in her was plain indifference, and her irascibility could only have come from her mother’s gene. He hoped she wasn’t as wickedly terrible as Ruth—or terribly wicked; whichever one was the appropriate adjective, because there was no way she could have gotten that choler from her father; although the mister was a giant, he wasn’t of choleric personality. What if the man wasn’t really her father? What if her father was the second corpse they had found last week? What if—? There were a lot of what-ifs to sink the Titanic. But one thing was very sure, Remi’s mother knew the real father, and perhaps, Hannah too—and neither of them was willing to admit the truth, especially if the truth was an ugly one.

He said, “Miss Johnson, I’ll like to ask you some few questions about the events of the night in December Twenty-fourth.”

“Okay.” She whispered.

“Did you remember showing me to my room after the dinner that night?”

“I do indeed.”

“You told me some things that night before leaving.”

“Kindly remind me.”

“I remember you telling me to leave this house before morning.”

“Do you also remember why I asked you to leave?”

“I initially thought it was due to the anger you had against me for meeting your father, but it wasn’t, it was because of something else.”

“Really? And what might that something else be?”

“I think you know better,” replied Daniel, “You told me that there was something going on in this house that you wouldn’t want me to get mixed-up in.”

“Did I say that?”

“Yes, you did, Miss Johnson. I remember asking you what was going on and you replying that it was about the will.”

“Oh, the will.”

“What do you know about the will?”

She paused, studied Daniel’s face and said, “You’re a very good-looking man, Mr. Famous.”

Daniel did not blush this time. He said, “Thank you, but I’ll want you to answer the question now.”

“I don’t know anything about the will. My grandfather only mentioned the will at the dinner table. He said he was going to change his will the next day. Why would you think I know anything about the useless will?” her anger was once again mounting.

“ ‘He must not change that will’, those were your exact words. What did you mean by that?”

“I said those words in your presence because I thought I could trust you. I cannot believe that you’re using those words against me now.” She looked pained.

“I’m not using anything against you, Miss Johnson—”

“Whatever happened to you calling me by my name instead of the formal but annoying Miss Johnson?”

“That’s because you refused to tell me your name the first time we met.” Replied Daniel, “We’re investigating two murders here and it looks quite suspicious that your grandfather was stabbed to death not long after you mentioned those words. I wouldn’t have quoted you on those words if the crimes hadn’t been committed. All I’m asking of you is to explain what those words mean.”

“I already told you that I don’t know anything about the will.” She said vehemently.

“Are you aware of the fact that being not entirely forthcoming with the police is a grave offence? Withholding evidence or obstruction of justice are offence which are against the law. And I think the latter is which you are currently practising.”

“I thought you said you were a footballer.”

Daniel was taken aback, “I am a footballer. I was once a police officer before becoming a footballer, I should have told you that in the bus. I assisted the detective in investigating a murder case three years ago. I am assisting him again now—” he paused and said, “—or rather he’s assisting me in investigating this case—these cases.”

“Okay, you were the one who invited him here, right?”

“I’m asking you again, Miss Johnson, what do you know about the will?”

“I guess you may think that I had a hand in my grandfather’s death because of what I said about the will.”

“Only few people would think otherwise.”

‘Do you believe I’m capable of committing murder?”

“Everyone is capable of committing murder, Miss Johnson, except babies.” Lot chipped in. He recalled that the girl’s father had asked him an almost similar question.

“Well, I didn’t kill my grandfather.”

“Tell us what you know about the will.” Daniel said, in a sharper voice this time.

Remi looked at the footballer’s serious face, took a deep breath and began, “When I said I didn’t know anything about the will, I wasn’t lying. What I told you about my disapproval over my grandfather’s intention to change his will resulted from what I was told.”

“What were you told?”

“That night after the dinner—precisely during the time you were waiting for me to show you to your room—I was called back into the dining room by my grandma.”

“Was your grandfather there too?”

She shook her head, “No, he wasn’t. He had probably returned to his room. Grandma was sitting there all alone.”

“Who came to call you?” Lot asked.

“Miss Simon, the maid.”

“Continue.”

“When grandma had confirmed that I was there with her, she started telling me things that I did not care to hear. She said she knew my reason for coming to this house now after all these years was to seek my grandfather’s favour so that he might include my name among the inheritors of his property. I was very shocked at hearing those words escape from my grandfather’s mouth. She said she was sorry to disappoint me because that would never happen—not as long as she was still alive.”

“I tried to convince her that my intention wasn’t to be included in the will, that I only came to spend the Christmas with my grandparents. But she didn’t appear to have heard me. She continued by saying she knew that my father and I planned it, she called us greedy. I was weeping, telling her I didn’t come for the wealth but to meet my family members. Then she added that she also knew that my mother was also part of the plan. That was when she said that she’d discuss with her husband where they’d decided that my mother would be cut out of the will the next day.

“I could not believe my ears when she said that. Why would she bring my mother into this? My mother didn’t even know that I was coming over. What made grandma believe that my mother was in whatever plan she thought my father and I concocted? I felt very sad about that. I felt it would be all my fault if my mother was cut off the will—she didn’t know anything about my presence there so she needn’t suffer from something of which she was innocent. My mom isn’t one of my favourite people, but I shouldn’t use my fate to implicate hers. She is the first child of my grandparents so she has as much right to the will as every other child. I was both sad and angry and my grandparents’ sudden decision. That was why I vented my anger on you when I showed you to your room that night. Granny also thought you were part of the plan too. She thought my father brought you along to show you to my grandfather that you were the man I was going to marry—to convince him that his first grandchild would be marrying a responsible man.”

Daniel gulped nervously at hearing this.

Remi continued, “That was why I told you that you must leave early the next morning. I believe you now understand the reason why I said my grandfather must not change that will.”

“You said you and your grandmother were alone in the room while you had the discussion, right?” Lot asked.

“Yes, we were alone.”

“Where was the maid?”

“She wasn’t with us. She probably went to her room.”

“Was the door of the dining room close or ajar?”

“It was open.”

“That means someone could probably be standing by the entrance listening to your discussion.”

“It’s possible.”

“Did you tell anyone about what your grandmother told you?”

“I only told Esther.”

Daniel asked, “Was it your father who told you to come here or you came under your own request?”

“My father only suggested I come, but the decision to come here was all mine.”

“Suggested? How did he suggest?”

“He said, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice if you paid your grandparents a surprise visit on Christmas?’ I said it would, and that ended it there. We never talked about it again. Then I decided that I would really like to spend Christmas with my grandparents. I didn’t know my granny had also invited his children to come and spend the Christmas with him.”

‘Was your grandfather happy to see you?”

“He was very delighted.”

“And your grandmother?”

“If she was, she hid it perfectly. It was a if she was distasteful at my visit. But I couldn’t be sure because she was blind and was always wearing dark glasses.”

Lot asked, “Did anyone tell you about a burglar that attacked your grandparents twenty years ago?”

“Why would anyone tell me something like that? What did the thief steal?”

“Do you know anyone named Abel?”

“No, I don’t,” she replied, “But words have been going around that that second corpse you found was Abel. They say Abel was my mother’s immediately younger brother.”

“All evidence point in that direction.” Replied Daniel.

“Why would anyone kill him? What offence did he commit to warrant his death?”

“That is what we’re trying to find out. You may leave now, Miss Johnson, except if you have something else you need to tell us.”

Remi did not rise immediately. She sat a few seconds longer trying to decide if she should tell the detective something. She decided that keeping silent about it would be the best decision. She stood from her seat. She had sat through the investigation with the docility of an applicant for a job, and now left as quietly and with as much careful dignity as she had come in. but Lot sensed her relief in the more confident gait of her departure from the room, the almost imperceptible relaxation of the shoulders. An interesting witness. It was strange that at her tender age of twenty she had been totally without the ghoulish curiosity, the mixture of excitement and spurious horror so often found in those innocently caught up in murders. Violent deaths, like most disasters, afforded its satisfactions to those who were neither victims nor suspects, but this young lady was certainly intelligent enough to know that she had to be on the detective’s list of prime suspects. That alone could account for the nervousness on her countenance during the investigation.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Talk2david1(m): 7:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
Nice one, was really hoping the detective would ask her what she told her father when he called and asked where she went to after she traveled to see if she'll lie too dt she went to camp like d dad said!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by rapmike(m): 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hmn, see questioning! Lot would not have dealt with this better. I imagine Remi shaking in her mind when he reminded her of her words that evening. I have to say this though.

REMI IS CUNNING!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by pweeeetychi: 7:54pm On Sep 22, 2014
so far i don't even know what conclusion to draw, i guess i'll just wait for the detective to give us the verdict

Though i think there're still mysteries yet to unfold and we need them open soon

Nice work Larry, keep it up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (50) (Reply)

Meant To Be / WHEN LOVE DIES....( The temptations of Gabriel) / Daughters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.