Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo (21357 Views)

Why V8 Engines Are Better Than V6 Engines / Ladipo Spare-Parts Market Finally Shut-down / Overhead Pictures Of Ladipo Car-Parts Market In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Immune1(m): 11:36am On Dec 14, 2012
Have you ever had to change your 2.4litres 2AZ-FE aluminium Toyota engine made for Toyota car models like the XV30 Toyota Camry ‘Big Daddy’ (2002-2006), 2003 Highlander, 2002 Avalon, Avensis, RAV4 and so on? Chances are that half your engine is actually made of cast iron engine block (5S-FE) extracted from older models(less than 2001). It recently came to my notice that these engines are rebuilt locally and sold to unsuspecting customers as full aluminium engines.

One question you will begin to ask is why would one go through the stress of rebuilding these engines? Well to answer that let me start by saying that it is only of recent that these aluminium Toyota engines go for about #250,000-#280,000; before now these engines went for a non-bargainable price of #350,000. However on the other hand, 5S-FE cast-iron engines are relatively cheaper at #120,000; which means if one can find a way to combine the working cylinder head of a 2AZ-FE engine with the lower cast-iron engine block, you are in business!

How it is done

The Toyota 2AZ-FE and 5S-FE engines share a whole lot in common, even the dimensions as well, but as confirmed by my Ladipo source, 5S-FE engines can’t power cars originally made to operate with 2AZ-FE engines. However if you combine an extracted cylinder head from a 2AZ-FE engine and couple it with the lower engine block portion of a 5S-FE engine, the vehicle will start and operate normally. But to achieve this there are barriers, first of which is the name-tag on the engine, secondly, the appearance-as aluminium engines are quite easy to spot-and the coupling.

Hence to solve this problem in Ladipo auto-market(in Lagos,Nigeria) for example, they stamp the name-tag/engine code using very special machines which are rare to come-as disclosed by my source. The business of swapping the tags is a highly discreet one. As for the coupling, you may think that the commonly used blue adhesive would give these guys away, but in putting these engines together, they use an adhesives referred to as ‘factory gum’ which are colourless and barely noticeable .

Then the final finishing is performed by them spraying the external body of the lower portion (cast-iron) of the new engine coupling so as to make it blend with the upper aluminium cylinder head. After all these processes, these engines are sold as original tokunbo 2AZ-FE engines.

How to guard against purchasing these engines

>> Maintain your engine properly and ensure water/coolant levels in your radiator is always sufficient, also change your engine oil and filter when due. The most assured way to avoid finding yourself contending with swapping your engines hinges on this.

>>If inspite of your efforts you find yourself unfortunate, gets a good mechanic with experience in dealing with engine swapping. Unless you are totally the careless one, you might even have to change your current mechanic.

>>Keep track of your cylinder head and don’t be cajoled by anyone telling you it is useless, unless the reason behind the need to change the engine has to do with bad valve train, expanded or warped cylinder heads.

>>Get involved! If you were nonchalant enough to get your engine ruined in the first place, don’t fail to get involved this time. Engage in some market research prior to contracting any mechanic; assert you new awareness and don’t fail to carry out the above checks which where earlier enumerated.

Source: www.autobaseafrica.com/exposedhow-toyota-engines-are-re-built-in-ladipo/

9 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 14, 2012
Interesting. It would help if this was front-paged, for maximum exposure.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 14, 2012
It does not sound entirely bad. These guys can produce same engine and call it grade C ( with a new name). I am sure some folks ll still patronize them.

But selling a remodeled engine as a new one is criminal.

7 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by jamp: 5:05pm On Dec 14, 2012
nice one
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by OAM4J: 5:09pm On Dec 14, 2012
Nice. Thanks for the information.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by ba7man(m): 5:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
Its quite sad how we turn such positive knowledge like computer programming, good communication, engineering skills to negative purposes in order to scam unsuspecting people. That greed is the exact thing that's holding this country back.....and some silly people see this as being smart.

5 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by udokpuenyi(m): 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2012
To some extent your post is correct, but when someone of us who are insiders in the market try to explain this to most customers, they (customers) think that you are trying to to extort money from them.

I can tag a particular spare the average market cost and another person tells you half the price and the customer buy the one with lower price tag without thorough check, at the end he might not use that spare because it has been tampered with.

The worst is the some mechanics are also part of the scheme.

The rule: Just try to get one reliable contact in the market, let him source for your parts, afterall" snake no dey chop snake"

Another dimension to it, some creativity in the auto market also make certain things possible, imagine looking for a broken formica of your car and you can't get the spare , The boys in the market can replicate your original formica, this is just one in hundreds of examples.
Go and look for GOLF 5 complete wiper in the market and see how easily to get it if at all you can, in that case you need their services to get a matching wiper that will work in your car. It is a two way traffic thing both positve and negative

6 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Pimples(m): 5:22pm On Dec 14, 2012
I think this is CREATIVITY & GENIUS

2 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Dermie: 5:22pm On Dec 14, 2012
Noted.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by dmitroika(m): 5:25pm On Dec 14, 2012
ba7man: Its quite sad how we turn such positive knowledge like computer programming, good communication, engineering skills to negative purposes in order to scam unsuspecting people. That greed is the exact thing that's holding this country back.....and some silly people see this as being smart.

i don't see how you're making sense sir, people are applauding the fact that they have the skills to build car engines and not because they are imitating or something, moreover, what does your almighty -economic -giant china do? imitation. And peeps like you do praise china i beleive.
lesson to be learnt: learn to appreciate what you have else you would never have what you don't.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by manny4life(m): 5:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
dmitroika:

i don't see how you're making sense sir, people are applauding the fact that they have the skills to build car engines and not because they are imitating or something, moreover, what does your almighty -economic -giant china do? imitation. And peeps like you do praise china i beleive.
lesson to be learnt: learn to appreciate what you have else you would never have what you don't.

After all said and done, it does not negate the fact they are involved in a criminal activity - intentional selling a rebuilt, perhaps low standard product as original.

4 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Dankudi: 5:33pm On Dec 14, 2012
Nigerians! Innovative people.

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by ednut1(m): 5:33pm On Dec 14, 2012
udokpuenyi: To some extent your post is correct, but when someone of us who are insiders in the market try to explain this to most customers, they (customers) think that you are trying to to extort money from them.

I can tag a particular spare the average market cost and another person tells you half the price and the customer buy the one with lower price tag without thorough check, at the end he might not use that spare because it has been tampered with.

The worst is the some mechanics are also part of the scheme.

The rule: Just try to get one reliable contact in the market, let him source for your parts, afterall" snake no dey chop snake"
snake dey chop snake , i see am for nat geo wild last month lol

10 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:00pm On Dec 14, 2012
Just have a trustworthy mechanic 4 dat Ladipo market who can help you out if you wan buy any spare part.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 14, 2012
Buy the fake and save yourself the stress. Even the original wont last so why disturb yourself. Just pray you have money to buy brand new cars and you won't visit any mechanic in the 1st 2yrs. That's the life my brother. May God no make poverty turn you to Ladipo FBI agent!!!

6 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by chucky234(m): 6:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
See as Ladipo boys dey up their hustle
all is well sha,but make dem stop to dey deceive customers na,why dem no fit just label the engines "made in Nigeria" abi we dey forbid to give ourselves credit.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by hardbody: 6:27pm On Dec 14, 2012
Why would you want to change an engine in the first place. After using your car for a reasonable time-frame, would it not be the course of wisdom to either dispose of it or make a gift of it and buy another? Rather than spend some funny amount fixing a used car, how about sell, trade in or give out?
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by seunajia: 6:46pm On Dec 14, 2012
dmitroika:

It is "skill" to dupe people abi? Charlatan.

1 Like

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Leboska(m): 7:48pm On Dec 14, 2012
most often we cause for ourselves in the name of looking for cheap parts. If dont know how to know the original contact me.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by PATOPROP(m): 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2012
Beware of cheap article - Penny wise, pound foolish- ensure to buy originals!!!
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by tampa1871: 8:52pm On Dec 14, 2012
These guys ingenuity is highly commendable, my only problem with them is FULL DISCLOSURE, they should disclose to customers that these engines are REBUILT and allow them to make a decision whether to buy Tokunbo or their REBUILT engine. In western world, rebuilt engines are as good as brand new. I'm glad these guys are doing these. Even, rather than buying a new engine, why not rebuild what u have.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Denn(m): 9:20pm On Dec 14, 2012
hardbody: Why would you want to change an engine in the first place. After using your car for a reasonable time-frame, would it not be the course of wisdom to either dispose of it or make a gift of it and buy another? Rather than spend some funny amount fixing a used car, how about sell, trade in or give out?

Not everybody can afford to change cars like sanitary pads. It does not take great skill to understand this little piece of common sense

4 Likes

Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by sultaan(m): 9:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
If there is a huge market for rebuilt engine of some brands, maybe they are not as reliable as suggested by these paid to work on it.
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Emperoh(m): 12:26am On Dec 15, 2012
permission to reproduce here pls. . . . . .
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by Exponental(m): 5:38am On Dec 15, 2012
E don tey naaa!
Re: How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo by vanstanzy(m): 9:34am On Dec 15, 2012
Impressive and very cunning. Mechanics can be sooo cheeky. I have a cousin who is a mechanic and he lets me in all their cheats.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Autel OBD Scanner: Check that check engine! Buy a scanner. / Avoid These 5 Things That Can Damage Your Car – Innoson Motors / Is This Vehicle Rubber Tyre The Future Of Tyres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.