Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

What Has NYSC Done For You? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / What Has NYSC Done For You? (10835 Views)

Has Nysc Outlived It's Purpose??? / Has NYSC Batch B Been Cancelled? / Has Nysc Outlived Its Purpose ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has NYSC Done For You? by adele88(m): 3:15pm On Dec 14, 2012
Hi all

I am graduate from the UK, I am due to come back home for NYSC. But I am sceptical of what it actually gives you apart from independence pride and a certificate.. I know all this is important but i am wanted to make money ASAP and I am wondering whether it is helpful in regards to finding jobs. I am not familiar with Nigeria apart from the family that lives there and the 7 time I have visited Lagos. I am hoping to create contacts out there...the overall question is, does NYSC help with getting jobs in London etc..

Any advice would be helpful
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 26, 2012
Nysc gives u opportunity for a lot of thns,lik jobs opportunities, makin friends dat might c u thru in life, connections and most importantly u might neva knw were u wil b in future, u might nt reside there and if u happen to stay in nigeria, u ll surely need dat certificate cz no organisation employz without it.

Am a corp memba n its bin fun and full of tours. D idea bhind nysc z to reintegrate and promote tourism. Pls dear, grab d experience, it worths it. Safe jony back to naija

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Jaideyone(m): 7:08pm On Dec 26, 2012
Yet to experience it. looking forward to it though.

2nd to comment smiley
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by sessydoo(m): 7:10pm On Dec 26, 2012
OP abeg of you, make you no go north ooooooo. Wish you a thrilling NYSC
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Naijapikin1: 7:10pm On Dec 26, 2012
I finished servin october dis year. D service year is worth doin. U learn a whole lot about oda ppls culture,plus a lot of immunity cover dat u get. I gained all dis, more, and my national certificate.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by ednut1(m): 7:14pm On Dec 26, 2012
does NYSC help
with getting jobs in London - nah, if u wanna settle or work in a good comp, have political ambitions it good to do it, if not ur wastin ur time, am currently servin in a sh:it hole in abia state, u wudnt wanna face wat am facing, i adapt to anytin, did alevels in birmingham, in uk dey hv no business wit nysc, if u gt a job in uk stay

5 Likes

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Rich4god(m): 7:14pm On Dec 26, 2012
One thing about NYSC is that.... If you do not accept where you are posted, you will never enjoy it nor get what you want. Serving as a corper have so many benefit only if you will accept where ever you were posted and face the challenges there. Its worth doing my dear brother.

2 Likes

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Kzinne: 7:16pm On Dec 26, 2012
hello guys, new to dis forum, kindly inform me how i cud make a comment on dis forum

3 Likes

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by BodyKiss(m): 7:17pm On Dec 26, 2012
Nkjay: Nysc gives u opportunity for a lot of thns,lik jobs opportunities, makin friends dat might c u thru in life, connections and most importantly u might neva knw were u wil b in future, u might nt reside there and if u happen to stay in nigeria, u ll surely need dat certificate cz no organisation employz without it.

Am a corp memba n its bin fun and full of tours. D idea bhind nysc z to reintegrate and promote tourism. Pls dear, grab d experience, it worths it. Safe jony back to naija

Why you dey lie like this?

15 Likes

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by lankspex(m): 7:17pm On Dec 26, 2012
I finished my service in october,up till now nysc is still owing me 4 months allowance,if I were you I will think very well,before embarking on it
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by segiwest(m): 7:21pm On Dec 26, 2012
Sincerely, it doesn't get u a job outside tis country. If u hv political ambitions in 9ja, well, u must hv d cert.
It's fun though. I'm serving @ jigawa state but due 2 d weather ere I requestd 4 relocation 2 osun. (Pls if u can influence ur postin, pls do it ASAP).
Stayin back 9ja, u wuld gain a lot 4rm d scheme but outside 9ja, I doubt xcept contacts 4 biz purposes.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 26, 2012
Gave me the opportunity to serve in one of the best manufacturing companies here in Nigeria, in the most basic department and with the best team possible. I learnt that all that time spent studying in school did not really teach one anything,the real lesson is on the field. Plus I got my present job through recommendation from where I served(though still searching for a better one)
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 26, 2012
NYSC is a jolly good waste of time. If i were you, i'd start thinking of self-employment or better still, marry a European (not all those Cajad naija women that managed to get passport) and settle down in Europe,

4 Likes

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by k2039: 7:27pm On Dec 26, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]Make new friends, increase your network and also possibly get a wife if you have not found one [/color]
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by KwoiZabo(m): 7:29pm On Dec 26, 2012
I hate it when ppl say NYSC is a waste of time. U're meant to serve ur country & not to make money. Later they'll be d 1st to criticize our leaders when they've failed 2 contribute their quota. SMH

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Doctorflaky(f): 7:29pm On Dec 26, 2012
It all depend on y u wamt 2do it, but I feel it can add to ur dxperiences. Thank God u're comin 4rm uk,so u get 2choose where u'll btw Lagos nd Abuja, unlike we nigeria base, dat wil accept whereva u're posted to
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by bigx(m): 7:33pm On Dec 26, 2012
@poster you're a UK graduate?
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
Lol. Where in Abia r Ɣΰ serving? I served there too. Ended this October.
ednut1: does NYSC help
with getting jobs in London - nah, if u wanna settle or work in a good comp, have political ambitions it good to do it, if not ur wastin ur time, am currently servin in a sh:it hole in abia state, u wudnt wanna face wat am facing, i adapt to anytin, did alevels in birmingham, in uk dey hv no business wit nysc, if u gt a job in uk stay
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Arsenate(m): 7:35pm On Dec 26, 2012
I've always maintained that my NYSC year is the best one year of my life so far.
Served in Ahoada, Rivers, didn't really make much money but I must say that my service affected the locals positively and they showed a lot of appreciation in their own little way. This really gave me a sense of fulfilment, pride and relevance. It really does make me sad to hear stories of corps members being killed these days.

3 Likes

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 26, 2012
adele88: Hi all

I am graduate from the UK, I am due to come back home for NYSC. But I am sceptical of what it actually gives you apart from independence pride and a certificate.. I know all this is important but i am wanted to make money ASAP and I am wondering whether it is helpful in regards to finding jobs. I am not familiar with Nigeria apart from the family that lives there and the 7 time I have visited Lagos. I am hoping to create contacts out there...the overall question is, does NYSC help with getting jobs in London etc..

Any advice would be helpful

@Op: Na lie abeg, you no school for UK

Your grammar get too many K-legs

You sure say no be Nwafor Orizu College of Education, Nnewi you school?

21 Likes

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Chokolee(m): 7:37pm On Dec 26, 2012
NYSC gave me the opportunity to develop myself more on my educational skills; I even got the time to read for my professional courses. It is cheaper to register and write those courses as a corp member...Bro..you got lot to benefit during your service year, though heavily dependent on the place and region of service..I am a serving corp member! ..Merry Christmas
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by chidex101(m): 7:46pm On Dec 26, 2012
Yes it does. U will need it ok.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by jennann(f): 7:47pm On Dec 26, 2012
Lols
PortHarcourtBoy:

@Op: Na lie abeg, you no school for UK

Your grammar get too many K-legs

You sure say no be Nwafor Orizu College of Education, Nnewi you school?

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by papydan(m): 7:47pm On Dec 26, 2012
Like wat doctor flaky said since u r coming 4rm uk,u ve a choice of serving in lag or abj.for wat nysc did 4 me,it gave me opportunity to learn other nigerian calture tiv(benue) in particular.2 nysc train & gave me a loan to start grasscutter farming through its nysc/mdgs wap project.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 26, 2012
Adele if ur still in d uk, give me ur number let me call and advice you. I'm in a similar position
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by warrikid(m): 7:49pm On Dec 26, 2012
It don't give jack,just dat I met my present gf @ d camp in tsafe,zamfara state. If na only dat one dem giv me sef no wahala.

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by wowo2: 7:51pm On Dec 26, 2012
It could be a fun year. Make new friends and you can make plans (too much time, if you ask me) to properly plan on a career etc. If you have to work in Nigeria you need to have the NYSC certificate and to get this the honorable way you need to do the 1yr service.

As you want to return to London, it would be good if you try and do your primary assignment in a company where you get to learn stuff you are interested in. That can help you experience-wise when you go back to the UK as you may not easily get graduate trainee or entry level jobs in your area of interest over there.

You just have to be careful you serve in a relatively safe state or town in Nigeria. Nigeria is not the best country in the world at appreciating the life of its citizens.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Bukie4real: 7:55pm On Dec 26, 2012
grin I met my hubby tru NYSC

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by olawalebabs(m): 7:55pm On Dec 26, 2012
The contacts I made in service are helpful to me, if that is the only thing I gain from NYSC, am ok
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by passion007: 7:58pm On Dec 26, 2012
Kzinne: hello guys, new to dis forum, kindly inform me how i cud make a comment on dis forum
you did it! It's a Christmas miracle!

By the way, I met a very beautiful girl in camp but I couldn't talk to her because I'm shy... embarassed
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by GboyegaD(m): 8:07pm On Dec 26, 2012
Arsenate: I've always maintained that my NYSC year is the best one year of my life so far.
Served in Ahoada, Rivers, didn't really make much money but I must say that my service affected the locals positively and they showed a lot of appreciation in their own little way. This really gave me a sense of fulfilment, pride and relevance. It really does make me sad to hear stories of corps members being killed these days.

I agree with you on this. I served in Bayelsa 7years ago and I truly couldn't have traded it with any other experience even when I had fears the first time I got to Swahili Jetty and all I could see was water without end and my mum told me to come back home but thank God for my younger sister that encouraged me. I still get in touch with my students and I am happy they are doing well in thier various schools. Couldn't have asked for more.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can NYSC Grant A Permit For A Wedding? / 10 Important Things All 2017 Batch A Stream II Should Make Available Now / Question For Foreign Trained Graduates/ Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.