Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

The Truth About Living Abroad - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Truth About Living Abroad (67125 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 01, 2013
ahmedgafar7: you don't have to apologise for that...if someone like temmytanny post something with grammatical blunders he won't apologise because he knows he has a good reputation and an high self esteem i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̅ this forum,it shows you are concerned about what people think of you,maybe they will think you are an illiterate.........NO OFFENCE
thankz bro.......u knw few folkz still av a high school mentality.......
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ahmedgafar7(m): 10:19am On Jan 02, 2013
I Hate 9ja:
thankz bro.......u knw few folkz still av a high school mentality.......
yeah
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by MMotimo: 8:55am On Jan 06, 2013
The shopping's great . . . Buying high quality stuff that lasts forever on sale at attractive non-cut throat prices cool
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by papatee2: 11:21am On Jan 06, 2013
@ehispapan there is no saying dat "if u can mak it in usa, u can mak it in Nigeria. its simply says if u can make it in Nigeria, U can make it in usa. Moreover i think u are either from d upper class in Nigeria and u dont kw anytin abt how d lower ppl are sufferin in Nigeria. Or u dont kw d benefits our ppl are getin in usa. pls i'll advice u to go do ur reseach well before making any statement any. THANKS [quote author=ehispapa][/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 3:35am On Jan 13, 2013
emmysenior: Ha! Ha!! Ha!!! Your spellings said it all... I hope you know that bribing lecturers is not possible over there? Olodo.
This is the embarassing idiology and attitude we should try and get rid off,when I use to work for the NHS, I know of a world class Psychologist who's spelling was wack, but that did not hinder his work or way of thinking
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by toshmann(m): 3:44am On Mar 08, 2013
monie: I am a Nigerian living abroad, infact I and my fiancé came to Canada this year, we r married now, he was in the uk for 7yrs, acquired so many certificates but couldn't get an IT job in uk, I was in Nigeria and was working but didn't like my job much either, so we both decided to relocate to Canada, thank God my student visa as well as his permanent residence both worked. Since we both came here in January and February respectively I have been a full time student while he has been working in his profession. Since he came he has worked in like 4 different companies, with each offering him higher than the previous, we are counting our blessings here cause is been so good. We r married now, living very well, having enough to save and send home sometimes even though he is the only one working for now. I tried looking for a job for him in Nigeria but to no avail, I am not saying Nigeria isn't good but maybe it just wasn't for us. Cause he has good results, all cisco certifications, masters, name yet in Nigeria and uk it wasn't working out. As for me and my household Canada, Calgary Canada has been really really really good for us.
You married one of the best guys on the planet. I lived with him in Cardiff, UK. He's the best.
God bless y'all.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 08, 2013
Sound argument all the way. As for me, i thank God that finally after being unemployed for 6 years, i finally gathered myself and staggered out of the country. I am enjoying London like fresh air. They keep saying it is hard, it is difficult, there are no jobs and all sort of things, but so far for me it has never been more simpler. The quality of life is so high. Everything works. I transited through Doha, Qatar and when i looked down on Doha from the airplane, i just wept. See country.... Speechless...... In fact, Nigeria has not even begun. How can Nigeria at this age still can not provide good roads at the very least? How can we not have good hospitals? Light? I think clearly here because when i sleep do not hear generators humming till day break and i do not hear vigilantes going around hourly hitting the bell. Gunshot? Last one i heard was in a movie... Roadblock? C'mon... Soldiers.. Nada... In fact Nigeria is a war zone.. I nor fit talk i beg. Finally it is just good to travel, even if na to see something for life then go back. No pastor don even threaten me with hell fire here say i nor pay offering grin. Everything is different here i beg, who talk say Nigeria better pass UK or US, make e dey there dey fool himself. After all people still dey stay Somalia.

17 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by toshmann(m): 12:22am On Mar 10, 2013
Welcome to exposure. Our biggest problems in Nigeria are
1. that millions of Nigerians have no idea what a great country should look like.
2. Millions think that greatness is beyond us. They don't know how simple some of these things are to achieve if and only if we have leaders willing to achieve some of them
3. Millions of Nigerians are used to bad government and leadership and have adjusted to having such, hence they are comfy with horrible country and live with it
4. Our religious leaders are not helping us. Hoha! angry
5. Majority have never left the country before, to see that outside world. And realize that those "oyibos" are not spirits but human beings who simply worked hard to arrange their country.

Welcome to civilization, modern version.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by chukxie(m): 6:16pm On Mar 13, 2013
Quite an informative piece article. Although i certainly don't agree with some of the points you made, the effort you put in writing this piece is commendable. There are lots places on earth where one can strike gold---legitimately that is. When God's favour is upon you, you can build a fountain in the kalahari desert. You don't have to go to America , Canada, Australia, The UK or New Zealand before you can succeed . No, no, no! There are people living in Japan who have made huge legitimate fortunes for themselves. There are people living in China who have made mega bucks from doing legitimate businesses. These folks would turn down the chance to live in any other part of the world even if permanent resident cards were offered to them. There are opportunities everywhere when God leads a man. There's not an easy road to success in Nigeria or abroad. Hard work, determination and above all, the grace of God are the elements of success.

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by monsieursam64(m): 5:30pm On Mar 26, 2013
What would drive a person so desperate to vacate where his roots lie in search of an experience elsewhere in d world? Understandably, the motives of lots of nigerians putting in immigration applications are diverse but d underlying factor is d stark disappointment in our(nigeria) system and a search for a plausible hope. Hope for good health care, good schools, adequate security, constant electricity, good roads and hope for our unborn children.
The truth remains 'NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE'! GOD has blessed dis nation with so much with natural resources that could make us compete with d great nations of d world yet we have chosen to move backward and nt stagnant nor forward. Our leaders are so corrupt, judicial system is corrupt,almost if nt all d sectors in d economy are corrupt. REALLY PROVOKING! A country where d rich and elite are above d law. A country where a man steals over 30billion naira and he's been sentenced to 1yr in prison with a n option of fine(#750,000) while an armed robber steals #200,000 and he's sentenced to 100yrs in prison. INJUSTICE!!!!!
Whosoever has his/her way to travel out should go ahead.
I hear some talkin abt opportunities in naija, yeah... Bt are they feasible?
I WEEP FOR NAIJA!
Well, im dustin my bag to jet out of dis nation anytime soon by GOD's grace, to render assistance to my family.
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON NIGERIA!!!

7 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:08pm On Mar 26, 2013
monsieursam64: What would drive a person so desperate to vacate where his roots lie in search of an experience elsewhere in d world? Understandably, the motives of lots of nigerians putting in immigration applications are diverse but d underlying factor is d stark disappointment in our(nigeria) system and a search for a plausible hope. Hope for good health care, good schools, adequate security, constant electricity, good roads and hope for our unborn children.
The truth remains 'NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE' GOD has blessed dis nation with all d good natural resources of life that could make us compete with d great nations of d world yet we have chosen to move backward and nt stagnant nor forward. Our leaders are so corrupt, judicial system is corrupt. A country where d rich and elite are above d law. A country where a man steals over 30billion naira and he's been sentenced to 1yr in prison with a n option of fine(#750,000) while a armed robber steals #200,000 and he's sentenced 100yrs in prison. INJUSTICE!!!!!
I hear some talkin abt opportunities in naija, yeah... Bt are they feasible.
I WEEP FOR NAIJA!
Well, im dustin my bag to jet out of dis nation anytime soon by GOD's grace, to render assistance to my family.
bozz u ryt on point......i love this write up......9ja is blessed but cursed.....u will get there

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 3:35pm On Apr 26, 2013
I Hate 9ja:
bozz u ryt on point......i love this write up......9ja is blessed but cursed.....u will get there
Guy, U r deceiving yourself, the true wealth Nigeria has is Man power, once we could harvest this like china we would be on the Up, I know most people here think our largest resources is teh OIL wrong, you can buy that with money like America is doing.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 3:40pm On Apr 26, 2013
monsieursam64: What would drive a person so desperate to vacate where his roots lie in search of an experience elsewhere in d world? Understandably, the motives of lots of nigerians putting in immigration applications are diverse but d underlying factor is d stark disappointment in our(nigeria) system and a search for a plausible hope. Hope for good health care, good schools, adequate security, constant electricity, good roads and hope for our unborn children.
The truth remains 'NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE'! GOD has blessed dis nation with so much with natural resources that could make us compete with d great nations of d world yet we have chosen to move backward and nt stagnant nor forward. Our leaders are so corrupt, judicial system is corrupt,almost if nt all d sectors in d economy are corrupt. REALLY PROVOKING! A country where d rich and elite are above d law. A country where a man steals over 30billion naira and he's been sentenced to 1yr in prison with a n option of fine(#750,000) while an armed robber steals #200,000 and he's sentenced to 100yrs in prison. INJUSTICE!!!!!
I hear some talkin abt opportunities in naija, yeah... Bt are they feasible?
I WEEP FOR NAIJA!
when you indeed do jet out, you will find out first hand the true problems of Nigeria and realized you just added a wee bit to it lol, let me give you one silly example, do you know the cost of a complete set of settee in 9ja? carpenters makes nearly same amount of money if they Up their game and keep to current trend, this surely got nothing to do with FG, its a case of us as individuals to up our game and drop this dependency on govt by the way side, .These so advanced countries are full of individuals who had sacrificed half of their lives to make their dreams work, how many of us have those patience in 9ja this day?

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by AjanleKoko: 3:59pm On Apr 26, 2013
erico2k2:
when you indeed do jet out, you will find out first hand the true problems of Nigeria and realized you just added a wee bit to it lol, let me give you one silly example, do you know the cost of a complete set of settee in 9ja? carpenters makes nearly same amount of money if they Up their game and keep to current trend, this surely got nothing to do with FG, its a case of us as individuals to up our game and drop this dependency on govt by the way side, .These so advanced countries are full of individuals who had sacrificed half of their lives to make their dreams work, how many of us have those patience in 9ja this day?

I would agree with you, however I'd say we need more Nigerians to relocate and see how things are done elsewhere.
Look at Indians, Chinese. They are all over the place, and many of them maintain strong links back home. We need more people to move outside Nigeria.

Enlightened and exposed Nigerians will go a long way towards the social, economic, and political reformation of Nigeria. The current inbred middle class is largely self-serving and selfish. Look how people come on Nairaland and posit about how great Nigeria has become under Jonathan. Just because some people have become slightly enriched, they have lost any sense of truth and purpose.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by otunbaneyo09(m): 12:55am On Apr 27, 2013
Godogwu:

Lol, I was completely perplexed by the post. you don't even have to go as far as banana island or Maitama. Even GRA in port harcourt, Wuse in Abuja, Magodo estate or Lekki in Lagos; how many diaspora Nigerians in Canada can afford to own houses there? the most they can do (with the exception of a few) is to build houses in their villages where the fathers or grand fathers left plots of land for them.

You are talking about all the beautiful and expensive area in Nigeria ? The majority of the house owner of this area are from overseas my brother and our so call polithiefian. Go and find it out my brother cos you don't know what you are saying

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 10:37pm On May 04, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I would agree with you, however I'd say we need more Nigerians to relocate and see how things are done elsewhere.
Look at Indians, Chinese. They are all over the place, and many of them maintain strong links back home. We need more people to move outside Nigeria.

Enlightened and exposed Nigerians will go a long way towards the social, economic, and political reformation of Nigeria. The current inbred middle class is largely self-serving and selfish. Look how people come on Nairaland and posit about how great Nigeria has become under Jonathan. Just because some people have become slightly enriched, they have lost any sense of truth and purpose.
You are dead on point my friend, people should see traveling as social stratification, they should see it as way of upping one's game, a way of either looking for initial capital or a way of having more knowledge of how things should realy work

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 10:38pm On May 04, 2013
otunbaneyo09:

You are talking about all the beautiful and expensive area in Nigeria ? The majority of the house owner of this area are from overseas my brother and our so call polithiefian. Go and find it out my brother cos you don't know what you are saying
Bro dont waste ur sweat, you know some people value a grand as if its a mill.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 12:27am On May 05, 2013
otunbaneyo09:

Which abroad though?.... I can't even argue with you. back your claim with facts.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by emwye(m): 7:30pm On May 16, 2013
Godogwu:

Actually the best schools are in the US, I don't deny the facts. The thing is why settle for bronze if you can afford gold...my parents can afford to send me and my brother to school abroad so we can have a broader perspective on things (academics/morals etc) and with my grade *sigh* a pretty decent job in Nigeria is waiting in 2014 cheesy

Bro, you might want to cool down a bit. I used to be this cocky 6 years back....I thought everyone else was doing things incorrectly. After a few years, i figured i wasn't that special kid i thought i was. I am by no means doing badly now but lets just say i didn't get anything worthwhile staying in Nigeria. With that said, i should point out that some folks got the 8 figure jobs but they were on top of their game all day everyday[i][/i].Besides business and entrepreneurship, getting a job that will adequately sustain you in nigeria requires that you are better than the millions out there that are pursuing those jobs, some with even higher qualifications than you have.I understand that we are quick to include that God'd favor is the ultimate but ill leave on this note "showeth me a man that is diligent in his work...."
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by mikemic: 11:58pm On May 19, 2013
[quote author=Godogwu]

oh yea? 15 years to pay for a house? wow!. Well in Nigeria its either you build it to your taste or you by the property off. The most i've heard off is paying about 3 or four times. Please don't make yourself sound dumb, the average lease or mortgage period is actually 30 years (use google). Frankly, most of the family friends living in the d[b]iaspora who boast of big mansions will still pay their mortgage every month for the next 5-30 years.

Dumb ass, average of 5-30 years is 15 so pls stop chatting rubbish here. Don't u have assignments or exam to prepare for? Stop bragging with ur parent ill-gotten treasures
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by mikemic: 4:23am On May 20, 2013
Godogwu:

Same thing goes for Nigeria!! or are you one of those illiterates that believe its only politicians that live in Lekki, Wuse, Gra etc??...nahh come of it, I expect better. I'm actually sticking to my argument which is that Nigeria is not a hell hole where "nothing works", theres no power, good roads etc and to some that said "one can't make it in Nigeria without connections or lying yaddy yaddy yadda" please!!!. I'm just saying there are opportunities in every part of the world...it just takes a very clever person to see them. Finally, we both know that a large number of Nigerians in the US don't live in $200,000 houses...just the few who actually utilized the "OPPORTUNITIES" and were not waiting on the american government to keep feeding them like some lazy people in Nigeria expect the FG to do. "its not your fault if you are born broke, but its most definitely your fault if you die broke"

I honestly hate u FACT! Have u ever worked in your life or are u the one responsible for both ur school fee,feeding n accommodation? If no ,I will curse you if you call anybody lazy again FACT!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Oracle13(m): 6:18pm On May 29, 2013
Pls sincere contributions,advice is all I need!no scammers pls I don't even have money yet
Am an ICT graduate with 2.2(3.34 on the scale of 5.0)I want to know much about relocating to canada permently,am married.I want to do masters in canada and even phd(study and work)I av applied in many jobs in Nigeria and none is forthcoming,so am beginining to feel there is nothing for me here right now.masters in cybersecurity is what I want to and study there,and would love to know schools that offer the course at masters levels.pls ur contributions is very important
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ifegy: 7:10pm On May 29, 2013
Oracle13: Pls sincere contributions,advice is all I need!no scammers pls I don't even have money yet
Am an ICT graduate with 2.2(3.34 on the scale of 5.0)I want to know much about relocating to canada permently,am married.I want to do masters in canada and even phd(study and work)I av applied in many jobs in Nigeria and none is forthcoming,so am beginining to feel there is nothing for me here right now.masters in cybersecurity is what I want to and study there,and would love to know schools that offer the course at masters levels.pls ur contributions is very important

https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 29, 2013
What a complete waste of time....I dont see any truth in any of these things you listed....the title should have been 'MY OPINIONS ABOUT LIVING ABROAD''''
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by tunaprex: 7:48pm On May 30, 2013
I have a job of 180k naira per month. Lately i've been obsessing about the idea of moving abroad and getting a foreign masters, and settling there. I can't seem to get his idea out of my head, its like nothing matters again. I just hope i'm not making a mistake.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ifegy: 12:07am On May 31, 2013
tunaprex: I have a job of 180k naira per month. Lately i've been obsessing about the idea of getting a foreign masters(in finland). I can't seem to get his idea out of my head, its like nothing matters again. I just hope i'm not making a mistake.

Try asking on this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1064724/studying-finland-free-tuition
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by shadowhunter15(f): 11:47pm On Aug 08, 2013
Wow. So many mixed views and opinions about living abroad. I have to agree with the majority of people that there are more opportunities in America than Nigeria. My dad came to America at the age of 42 with nothing but a suitcase yet look where he is now. He had a degree in teaching and went to medical school in Nigeria yet he was making less than the bare minimum. In less than seven years he was able to buy a 300k house even at his age that people say is too old to come here. Same with my uncle who is far richer than us in New York City. If you have an education, experience and determination, hard work, and ambition you can easily succeed here. Everyone is always talking about how racist and conniving the White man is. Have you ever lived in a White neighborhood? They are far nicer than your average Black American. Whenever I mention that i'm Nigerian they always see it with respect as opposed to Black Americans who start mocking you. The average for mortgage is 30 years? Are you serious? My parents told me it was 15 years and some can beat that. My family are die hard Nigerians and even they admit that its better over here. The only one good thing they can say about Nigeria is that you don't have to pay mortgage, yet my grandma will still boast about its much better than Nigeria and she's spent most of her life here since she got the visa. That's the problem with Nigeria, national pride gets in the way of the obvious....

American citizen for life and nothing will ever change that! Though I admit I kind of want to vacation in the rich parts of Nigeria for a bit..

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by kesmalso111(m): 8:42am On Aug 10, 2013
@ poster leave usa and come and start life in ajegule lagos only then would i believe your post ok?
1 tell when if obama used riging to win elelection
2 tell me if the politicians in usa use human head for sacrifices to win election
3 tell me if you have experence power failiure for over one month in america
4 you said dangote and adenuga are rich abi? Did adenuga hustle to go to school or even school in nigeria or better still hawk bread to pay school fees

you know noting about nigeria i am a 28yo guy married no job have a 2month old son my wife is a graduate no job as well but i still hustle to put bread on there table if i can do that here sweetie i will be th next obama in usa where the air is condusive, in nigeria the strong feed on the weak if you want to be rich u must be dirty reality, i love nigerians the are inteligent and brilliant a true nigerian will not speak the way u are talking, with the idea i have that my govt will not buy if i come to the states mingle with loyality in matter of yrs u will see me contest for presidency fact so dont discourage ppl let them go find there destiny land, u born in nigeria dose not mean u can make it here destination is not destiny i rest ma case much love 2 u all i love a nigerian spirit

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ELGREF(m): 3:53pm On Jul 27, 2014
davidylan:

Everyone and his dog now gives advice on living in america. My best friend came over to Canada (not much different from America) with not a single soul in terms of real friends or family. Today he is happily married with a great job and living just an hr away in NJ. I had family, but i moved over 1000 miles away from them and only saw them once a year at best... i rented out my own apt within 4 weeks of getting here and have done so for the last 7 yrs with no problem whatsoever.

The key to living here is FOCUS on your objectives, stay on the right side of the law and work hard. You dont need a gazillion friends and family to survive. More often than not, those friends can be more trouble than is worth.

Oh and a few tips based on the quote... if you have a good job or in school then you shld have health insurance. Should you need medical facilities you will be just fine. At worst get build yourself a good network of friends (a church may be a good starting point) and you should be ok. Unless you're a criminal, on expired immigration papers or too impatient to get-rich-quick, America is a fun and easy place to live.
are you mind them, they fail in America doesn't mean american is fail country like nigeria, I have mothan 5 people in western world, I know their situation before they leave nigeria, after year, I know/their achievements here in nigeria, if you are not a criminal, or get rich guickly mind, american is far better than nigeria, let EFCC investigate all our multi billionaire in here, you will know, they did not work the way ordinary people work, your money, my money is in their hand....Nigeria, no justice, no security, no trust, no electricity, no road, no job opportunity, you can do nurse training, security, driver, withing month nd start working in usa, canada, in western world, you will responsible. Alot more,
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 27, 2014
[quote author=]LOL the US government can't finance it's budget either. If you weren't lying about your 'american passport' you would know about the debt situation here and the fiscal cliff.
You don't sound like a real american, there are things americans dont say and what you just posted is one of them, i can call a fake when i see one.

I think that people leaving nigeria is best for nigeria because it's helping us get rid of a lot of criminal, hateful and unpatriotic elements. I think poverty beats down many people's ability to ration correctly and the guy that posted above me shows this, so it's going to be hard to speak so someone who is still in abject poverty like himself. It's hard to think when you're hungry. Nevertheless he shouldn't pretend he's in america...[/quote]are u calling nigerians criminals?
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Originalsly: 7:09pm On Jul 27, 2014
The basic truth about living abroad is that there are rules and regulations that are enforced. Basic infrastructures are provided and maintained and persons are held accountable regardless of their status...no one is above the law. Access to education and health is available to all. With these in place it is up to individuals to use the opportunities to achieve their dreams. If you have no plan or determination you cannot succeed abroad and can easily become homeless. Should the very systems be in place in Nigeria then no doubt Nigeria would be following the footsteps of China and so many talented Nigerians in the diaspora would be returning to establish themselves at home and at the same time move Nigeria forward.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? / New Drone That Allows Humans Fly Launched (Photos, Video) / Man Sleeping On A Moving Truck In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.