Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,383 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

The Truth About Living Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Truth About Living Abroad (67158 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Blazay(m): 9:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 9:55pm On Dec 14, 2012
pash4naija: @op, certain elements of your post is right but all I can see is 'get rich'. Life is not all about material riches and hard work no matter where you are has not killed anyone. Riches also consist of: peace of mind, seeing the fruit of your labour whether its a monthly salary or profits from business, travelling to wherever without hassles, having the basic necessities of life and overall being happy AND satisfied. Satisfaction can come through various avenues and not riches alone. Its because of riches that people do rituals in Nigeria for money or kill their relative out of jealousy or go into armed robbery. No where is perfect but some places are better than others. There are people in Nigeria who are legitimately doing business but finding it damn hard cos of so many factors. There are thousands of graduates without jobs (mind you, not everyone can run a business). This also applies to other places in the world. Like someone commented earlier, she didn't like her job in naija and her fiance couldn't get a job in his field either, but since moving to canada it has worked out beautifully for them. All these said, I see this as another 'abroad' vs 'living in nigeria' thread. Let's live and let live. By all means if you want to move to Nigeria, feel free and those who want to leave Nigeria pls do so by all means. I don't see anything wrong either way. It only becomes a problem when it is borne out of desperation and people do all sorts of illegal things just to leave. No two destinies are ever the same
I tire, men go Abroad to hustle for innitial finance to come back home to establish, but for those who want to make there home, they are on thier own
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 9:58pm On Dec 14, 2012
trent9002: USA, UK etc is NOT the best place to move, Its all just names. Smaller well doing countries like Singapore, Scandinavian countries etc are much better. Just the language barrier.
Exactly thats why you should not go there cos language sets you back 5 years.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Blazay(m): 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2012
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 10:00pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay:

ODE! I was in Nigeria less than 2 months ago!
No electricity. . . diesel fumes everywhere!
Unemployment. . . ,.90%!
Everyone I know that has moved back to Nigeria to 'do contract' have been DUPED out of their senses by yahoo-yahoo ruffians likey ya! They are now back in the US to queue up in airports as "LIMO" drivers with monkey coat-and-coats! All their wives have now taken to pros-ti-tution to survive!

Chueeeeeeeeeeeeh! cheesy

LOL thats the people you know...you are clearly not my class. I'm sure you're one of those die hard Nigerians who are too ashamed to accept that people make it in Nigeria. Frankly, the US is just for school for me since my dad insisted but i'm leaving immediately after. you sound so broke by the way cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by 1forall: 10:01pm On Dec 14, 2012
Nigeria must have the global highest number of hypocrites per square mile

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Amya(f): 10:03pm On Dec 14, 2012
What I still can't fathom for the life of me is how fellow Nigerians talk about their own country with so much disgust and hate. America will never be your father land, neither will canada, UK and the likes. You are Nigerians, and no matter the citizenship and passports you acquire, it's blood still courses richly through your veins. Be proud! Everyone wants to run away, "it's not working!" they say and everyone wants to point a finger at the government rather than our poor history. If Nigeria is corrupt, then you too are corrupt and will do exactly those things we accuse our government people of if we were in their shoes.

Funny thing is the more you search for the good life outside your shores, the more you under develop your own land. Rather than be second hand citizens in people's land, why can't you make other people second hand citizens in your own land. Be proud of your country and your heritage, it's yours no matter how you'd want to disassociate your self from it.

I have nothing against people going abroad especially to get a quality education, but come back with that knowledge and better your (own) country. I love my country no matter how bad they say it is.

We complain about the terrible economic situation here, but pray tell, how were you able to finance such a big trip with the money you made from such a poor country.

Be a patriotic Nigerian today. Develop your own nation.

Amya.

10 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Blazay(m): 10:04pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

LOL thats the people you know...you are clearly not my class. I'm sure you're one of those die hard Nigerians who are too ashamed to accept that people make it in Nigeria. Frankly, the US is just for school for me since my dad insisted but i'm leaving immediately after. you sound so broke by the way cheesy

I agree! Your 'shalanga', pit latrine class! cheesy
Life in Nigeria. . . NO INDOOR PLUMBING! cry

[img]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4610257364322174&pid=1.9[/img]

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 10:05pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay: http://www.thebody.com/content/art8300.html

smh
october 2005, really ...
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Wallie(m): 10:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay:

What do you have to say to this? wink

Nigerian politics! cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_eHbzBZPnA&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Is this really Theodore Orji?

The whole thing looks like something you would see in a Nollywood movie! Even the voodoo priest looks like an actor with all the white stuff on his body!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Tstark(m): 10:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
Wallie: It should be obvious to people with common sense that going to a place with no support system can be very difficult but just because something is difficult does not mean it is invaluable.

The rule about America is that there are no rules or set template to follow before you make it. About the only thing you can almost guarantee is that if you work hard you will live an ok life.

I really don't understand why people are so preoccupied with being rich! Everybody can't be rich...it is just impossible because being rich will then be the norm. For example, the median household income in Maryland for 2009 is $69,272 (N10.7 million) which is considered being rich in Nigeria. For you to stand out in Maryland, you will need to make about 4 or 5 times the median household income.

What people should strive for is an income that allows them to have the basics things to keep their family happy. That might mean having a house, a couple of cars, taking a vacation every year, being able to eat whatever you want, having a few dollars in the bank, and having enough spare change to donate to a charity of your choice.

By the way, Americans that live America, a country so bad that you should stay away from, gave $347 billion to charity in 2011. People willingly gave $347 billion to those seeking assistance for a cause. If this is not a sign of properity then I don’t know what is!

Oh, and since when is getting a mortgage or a loan bad especially when you can get a $300k mortgage for 30 years at about 4%? It seems the OP thinks that if cheap mortgage becomes available in Nigeria most people won’t jump on it! cheesy If you buy stuff on credit, at least you will get to own it after you pay off your loans.

Do you really think your Dangotes and Adenugas do not get loans from banks? I think you don’t really understand how money can work for you even at the crazy 25%+ interest rates charged by Nigerian banks! It is all about leverage!

This post right here says it all. The OP was talking out of his backside for the most part, but he did have a few facts [just a few, maybe 1 self].
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Blazay(m): 10:06pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

smh
october 2005, really ...

Even worse now! kiss

http://www.livestrong.com/article/26852-top-ten-countries-hiv/

See your Nigerian life? World AIDS spreader! Phockaholics! grin

India/Botswana
India has the second-highest population with HIV/AIDS, numbering 5.1 million people, with the second highest-percentage of infection in Botswana, at 23.9 percent.

Nigeria/Lesotho
[size=20pt]Third place in population is Nigeria with 3.6 million people; in percentage, it is the African country of Lesotho, with 23.2 percent. Placements of four through 10 will show the population ranking first, then percentage rank.
[/size]

Zimbabwe/South Africa
Zimbabwe at 1.8 million people, South Africa at 18.1 percent.

Tanzania/Namibia
Tanzania at 1.6 million people, Namibia at 15.3 percent.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/26852-top-ten-countries-hiv/#ixzz2F3yZoAG0
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 10:07pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay:

I agree! Your 'shalanga', pit latrine class! cheesy
Life in Nigeria. . . NO INDOOR PLUMBING! cry

[img]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4610257364322174&pid=1.9[/img]

probably your very wretched family,

The Nigeria I live in; https://www.nairaland.com/1121769/lagos-rising-international-tourist-business

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 10:08pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

Take it easy, U just said you are schooling which means you are still very young, when you get to certain age ur priority would change,if Nigeria is so cool as you paint it,Im sure you will go to a very Gppd Uni there.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 10:12pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay: Nigerian 'navy seal'! wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtAQ0PRPQ8I
Bro leave theese people make dem dey decieve themselves,if Nigeria is so good, tell OP to go there to live
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by dayokanu(m): 10:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay from her pictures has shown us Living conditions in Nigeria is worse than America.

So OP when are you relocating home
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 10:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
Tstark:

This post right here says it all. The OP was talking out of his backside for the most part, but he did have a few facts [just a few, maybe 1 self].
No point at all, dem words came out of a US born Nigerian not a hustler
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ayinba1(f): 10:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
@OP
Pray tell us what is wrong with this house? Does it have running water, gas, electricity? Is there a reasonable amount of peace and security? If yes, then this house you pictured here is better than what 90% of Nigerians have at home. Not everyone is going to be rich but at least try 70% being comfotable before saying Nigeria is better thna USA.

kokoye:

Is this the only house you have seen in the U.S that is owned by a Nigerian ..or you just decided to show this one to buttress your bias or drive home your point?

Be sincere.

Maybe you need to go Georgia, Maryland, Texas, Virginia, Jersey, California, Illinois, New York and see the houses owned by hard-working Nigerians.

Based on this quote alone, you entire opinion is biased.

Wherever you are, if you work hard and with a stroke of luck, you will live comfortably. It is just tougher in Nigeria with all the other issues you have to deal with (kidnapping, electricity, corruption, etc.).

Stop lying to yourself and others. It is not right
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Tinkybabe(f): 10:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
erico2k2:
Leave tha thing the OP is saying,ask him to go and live in 9ja for just 6 months if he dont change his statement
I'm currently in the UK and I lived in naija so I can tell you the op is 100% right
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 10:14pm On Dec 14, 2012
erico2k2:
Take it easy, U just said you are schooling which means you are still very young, when you get to certain age ur priority would change,if Nigeria is so cool as you paint it,Im sure you will go to a very Gppd Uni there.

Actually the best schools are in the US, I don't deny the facts. The thing is why settle for bronze if you can afford gold...my parents can afford to send me and my brother to school abroad so we can have a broader perspective on things (academics/morals etc) and with my grade *sigh* a pretty decent job in Nigeria is waiting in 2014 cheesy
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 14, 2012
i dey respect this dude or lady wella before because of the quality threads and pictures on facebook , buh u just fall my hand today guy, and make i tell you my fam wey go yankee 08 don get car plus him own house and him no finish him school for here self, compared τ̅☺ one bruh in *NG* who works in a bank a very big bank who hasn't merged since all the merging began in 9ja , the banker i no sure say dey Earn pass my bro, God spare my life can't wait τ̅☺ bail, come unilag see 3000+ or 2000+ for staff school dey collect lecture for one hall u go run for your life.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Blazay(m): 10:20pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu: Blazay from her pictures has shown us Living conditions in Nigeria is worse than America.

So OP when are you relocating home

Have you not been to Nigeria?
Roaches and rats all over their mansions of sickness and DEATH!
After making mouth. . .they will run out of Nigeria to go to Germany or London/China or India for 'treatment'! cheesy
We are still waiting for 'GOVERNOR CHIMA'! cheesy
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 10:20pm On Dec 14, 2012
ayinba1: @OP
Pray tell us what is wwrong with this house? Does it have running water, gas, electricity? IOs there a reasonable amount of peace and security? If yes, then this house you pictured here is better than what 90% of Nigerians have at home. Not everyone is going to be rich but at least try 70% being comfotable before saying Nigeria is better thna USA.

ermmm no one is saying Nigeria is better than the USA. the poster is just saying don't be deluded by Nigerians who live abroad and cause some Nigerians to leave their moderate lives in search of greener pastures in the US when its not the case atall. Do you know how many Nigerians who have stuggled and saved about $20,000 would use that money, buy a one way ticket and use the rest in getting american papers. Only for them to start working in MC donalds or as cab drivers in the US instead of investing some of that money into some sort of business.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Naijalastborn(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2012
First of all your when do you peole rubbish abroad in dis manner, please don't misqoute I am not saying Abroad is an Heaven but let me asked you aquestion, why do you leave Nigeria for Abroad in the first place, if you know Nigeria is better, fine its okay you choose abroad to Nigeria isn't it? Fine you have spents years abroad why can't you just come back to Nigeria and make us belive what we don't see, Be a good leader come and lead us to that light you are trying to put on..

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Blazay(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2012
Godogwu:

probably your very wretched family,

The Nigeria I live in; https://www.nairaland.com/1121769/lagos-rising-international-tourist-business

Is that your village? wink
Why don't you show us your face first! Prolly BURNT FROM BOKO HARAM OPERATION!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY1dLJ0EBs
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by buchibabe: 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2012
OP....i believe its all about ones destiny and not location. One can make it even in d hardest of countries as long as God is on his side.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by dayokanu(m): 10:25pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay:

Have you not been to Nigeria?
Roaches and rats all over their mansions of sickness and DEATH!
After making mouth. . .they will run out of Nigeria to go to Germany or London/China or India for 'treatment'! cheesy
We are still waiting for 'GOVERNOR CHIMA'! cheesy

Tell am make he come back home he no go gree

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Blazay(m): 10:28pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

He can't even leave Nigeria.
He will fail the HIV TEST! grin
Who go give visa?
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 10:37pm On Dec 14, 2012
Blazay:

Is that your village?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY1dLJ0EBs

Nahh not atall. lets see, what exactly are you trying to achieve by ...showing all this tho?

1. its a fact I live in a way bigger and better house than you do (not bragging)

2. I may be just 19 but I'm worth more than you ever will have in the US at the moment( again...not bragging)

3. Your either renting your house/apt or you're leasing it, so clearly its not yours yet and the day you don't pay, I guess you are out

4. you are probably a dropout who couldn't make it Nigeria so you had to hustle and buy a one way ticket to the US.

5. you either work at a restaurant, supermarket, or you are a nursing assistant...or you don't even have a job yea?

lets just end it there for now.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by playahP(m): 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2012
[quote author=]LOL the US government can't finance it's budget either. If you weren't lying about your 'american passport' you would know about the debt situation here and the fiscal cliff.
You don't sound like a real american, there are things americans dont say and what you just posted is one of them, i can call a fake when i see one.

I think that people leaving nigeria is best for nigeria because it's helping us get rid of a lot of criminal, hateful and unpatriotic elements. I think poverty beats down many people's ability to ration correctly and the guy that posted above me shows this, so it's going to be hard to speak so someone who is still in abject poverty like himself. It's hard to think when you're hungry. Nevertheless he shouldn't pretend he's in america...[/quote]

Shut up nigga!!! Why don't you come back home since its pointless staying there?... I have an aunt like you; she's always complaing about debt and suffering but she doesn't wanna come back!! Going there without a plan is really dangerous and stupid but if you seek the better life; a life where water, good road and electricity, security and justice isn't for the "big men" alone, then go to the developed world!!....
Even if you work hard in Nigeria, how many pple can boast of being middle class citizens??... Can u honestly say that life isn't preferable overthere than here?
Please come back home oh ye middle class citizen! Come and become a billionaire in your father's land!! I promise to give you a place you can squat..... Hediot!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Freiburger(m): 10:47pm On Dec 14, 2012
Where are these hommies subscribing to this thread?
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Freiburger(m): 10:48pm On Dec 14, 2012
dayokanu:

10Likes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? / Man Sleeping On A Moving Truck In Abuja / New Drone That Allows Humans Fly Launched (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.