Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View (21676 Views)

Bride Breastfeeding Her Child On Wedding Day (pics) / Are Women Shy Of Breastfeeding In Public? / Kim Kardashian Slams Woman For Breastfeeding In Public (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by asog: 11:20am On Dec 15, 2012
Hello nairaland pals, just want to know your view on this subject. I was sitting beside a woman in a wedding service, her baby started crying uncontrollably, she dint know what else to do but to breastfeed the child instantly.

I had no issue with it at all, infact to me, that was a perfect move. What shocked me was when some wannabe babes behind started making some funny comments lk *jeeeezzzee*, *gross*. Funny enough the tube gowns that they were putting on was even exposing more breast tissue than the breastfeeding mama.

Please is it bad to breast feed in d public
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by k2039: 11:28am On Dec 15, 2012
A baby has the right to eat be it public or private, but the bossoms should be covered though.

2 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 15, 2012
Nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. However, I see no reason why the bre.asts must be exposed to the whole world in the process. Cover up and feed the baby.

6 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by ayoola2002(m): 11:43am On Dec 15, 2012
Nice topic.
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Blazay(m): 7:17am On Dec 16, 2012
Nothing wrong with it.
When a baby is hungry and you are out. . . YOU HAVE TO FEED IT!
Especially when you cannot excuse yourself to ensure privacy.
Some mothers only do the 'baby-friendly' thingy. . .and that choice should be respected.
Simple. kiss

If anyone makes such a fuss about it. . . maybe the focus of examination should shift to him or her!
BABIES MUST FEED! Period! kiss

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 16, 2012
Use a nurssing cover. Every mother needs to invest in one, Gives you privacy and you can balance and feed anywhere

4 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 16, 2012
Some pictures

3 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by greatgod2012(f): 3:33pm On Dec 16, 2012
There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public, just get a nursing cover, and if nursing cover is not readily available, a nursing mother should be able to take into cognizance of what she wears when going to d public knowing fully well that she is most likely to breastfeed her baby, for example, a nursing mother should try and suspend d wearing of tight-fitted gown and blouse, pending d time d baby weans. Putting on wears that are free(not tight) eases d process of breastfeeding and ensures proper covering of d bosoms.
My opinion anyway.

4 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by mogbomoya: 4:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
before I had my baby, i said i wld never breastfeed in public. but my baby wails loudly in public & d only way to pacify her is breastfeeding. she has even learnt to pull my blouse. i express in bottles for her, but she still wld want to bosom feed.
but i cover up with d baby shawl since i have no nursing gowns.

2 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by smartmom(f): 11:44am On Dec 17, 2012
The nursing thingy sounds like a good idea but am wondering if this can be used in naija in a crowded place with no AC in the hot season? My kids would definitely balk and yank off anything covering their faces when breastfeeding public or private lovl. Methinks if you are wearing a loose top or a concealed button top you can 'safely' feed your munckkin with minimal 'exposure'. But then its a personal opinion, afterall what is all this fuss neway? who is offended? the hubby or the mom or the 'other'guys who are turned on by somebody's mom and wife?. They should protest then at the sight of all the bosom or cleavage show in evening and beach wears.Look away if you can stand the sight angry

14 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 17, 2012
The nursing cover is ususally light and there is a cut up so the child can look at his/ her mother so being suffocated is out of it.

I am a little shy, I find it hard yanking out my breast in the full glare of the public, also how do I bring out my breast in front of my junior staff and have them swallowing salive?
I noticed that with men, some look on shamelessly while some try hard to uncomfortably find something else to do when women breastfeed publiclly.

I just find it a little uncomfortable generally.

3 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 17, 2012
am really sad my special bre.a.st is going through transition. My baby is just gonna enjoy it for three months after that, i pack the thing back to where it belongs (MINE!!)

at Post, I guess i will use the cover to hide my b.rea.st . i will be so shy breast.feeding in public.
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by smartmom(f): 12:30pm On Dec 17, 2012
debrief08: The nursing cover is ususally light and there is a cut up so the child can look at his/ her mother so being suffocated is out of it.

I am a little shy, I find it hard yanking out my breast in the full glare of the public, also how do I bring out my breast in front of my junior staff and have them swallowing salive?
I noticed that with men, some look on shamelessly while some try hard to uncomfortably find something else to do when women breastfeed publiclly.

I just find it a little uncomfortable generally.

Ok, guess u havnt experienced a total melt down with a hungry fussy baby before! If you did, there will be no time for feeling shy, you will yank it out pronto and stuff it in the mouth before you will think of modesty or arranging the cover all, and by then they would have gotten a flash of the booby grin
Dont worry I understand your feeling, it was like that for me at 1st but I noticed we feel uncomfortable when other people fidget or are uncomfortable about the act. If we are in a roomful of breastfeeding moms you wont even think 2wice.
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by smartmom(f): 12:36pm On Dec 17, 2012
Vikin: am really sad my special bre.a.st is going through transition. My baby is just gonna enjoy it for three months after that, i pack the thing back to where it belongs (MINE!!)

at Post, I guess i will use the cover to hide my b.rea.st . i will be so shy breast.feeding in public.

cheesy tongue urs ke? na lie, it belongs primarily to ur baby. Customized drink and food for the baby for at least 6 months!that precious baby came with prepacked food by its creator and deposited on ur chest so be ready to make it available! If I was the creator, any mother hoarding the breast will forfeit the firmness and have to make do with a deflated bag of flesh angry

4 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 17, 2012
I have had 2 kids, almost done with breast feeding, and not planning to have any more kids.
I have never had to yank it out in public, when I had to, I always used covers, not had a problem with that.
Sometimes I feel we over do it. Lol, make I run before them hang me oh. I really prefer decent breast feeding.

3 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 17, 2012
smartmom:

cheesy tongue urs ke? na lie, it belongs primarily to ur baby. Customized drink and food for the baby for at least 6 months!that precious baby came with prepacked food by its creator and deposited on ur chest so be ready to make it available! If I was the creator, any mother hoarding the breast will forfeit the firmness and have to make do with a deflated bag of flesh angry

Haahahah, My dear, hoarding the bre.ast assures better firmness o. sometimes i see the kids playing with it, throwing it up and down, even biting the ni.pp.les. i wont even allow the baby to grow teeth on my br.eas.t...onvce i see the sign of little teeth, that begins the countdown.
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by greatgod2012(f): 4:59am On Dec 18, 2012
debrief08: I have had 2 kids, almost done with breast feeding, and not planning to have any more kids.
I have never had to yank it out in public, when I had to, I always used covers, not had a problem with that.
Sometimes I feel we over do it. Lol, make I run before them hang me oh. I really prefer decent breast feeding.

why will any sane nursing mother have to yank their bosoms in public? it is carelessness, even, d hubby may feel ashamed if he sees his wife doing that in publiƧ, d bible says, let everything be done decently and in order, bosoms are part of privates of women and should be kept as such. I dont breastfeed in public, when i find myself in public, most times, in church, i leave d congregation, and go to a solitary place to breastfeed my baby, even, there, im always with my cover, because i believe anybody can jam me there, not knowing somebody is there, so, breastfeeding should not be an excuse for carelessness. Im an extremely shy person, hence, my actions.

3 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by denzel2009: 5:06am On Dec 18, 2012
You can yank it out in ibiza but not to feed the poor baby.
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Joebeck(f): 10:35am On Dec 18, 2012
@Debriefo8. Heat no go catch the baby with that type of cover though is fine. @OP There is nothing wrong in feeding ur child in public if there is no other alternative, but there is a way u can cover the breast without exposing it for all to see.

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by greatgod2012(f): 7:44pm On Dec 18, 2012
Joebeck: @Debriefo8. Heat no go catch the baby with that type of cover though is fine. @OP There is nothing wrong in feeding ur child in public if there is no other alternative, but there is a way u can cover the breast without exposing it for all to see.

1. No heat, its very light in texture.

2. That is why loose blouse is suggested.

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 8:14pm On Dec 18, 2012
A woman should always cover the breast

2 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by asog: 7:06am On Dec 19, 2012
Thanks everyone 4 ur contributions, av really learnt alot.

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by smartmom(f): 2:34pm On Dec 20, 2012
Vikin:

Haahahah, My dear, hoarding the bre.ast assures better firmness o. sometimes i see the kids playing with it, throwing it up and down, even biting the ni.pp.les. i wont even allow the baby to grow teeth on my br.eas.t...onvce i see the sign of little teeth, that begins the countdown.

loooovl hoard or not hoard they will sag after a particular age me dear tongue. I breatfed all of my 4 kids for a minimum of 1 year, (3 of them 14 months sef) and I assure you it didnt do any harm to the 'firmness' It may not be as upright as when I was 18 but yes I can live with that. I guess alot has to do with one's muscle tone. My 70 yr old mum's bust is still firm after feeding 5 of us.

As for biting with teeth, if you 'talk'to ur munchkin about the 'dangers'of that act, they will desist from it wink

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by smartmom(f): 2:39pm On Dec 20, 2012
debrief08: I have had 2 kids, almost done with breast feeding, and not planning to have any more kids.

Of course, only when/if it is necessary should a mom breastfeed in public.

I wish you the very best with your planning but pls a word of caution, talk seriously in a heartfelt discussion with Baba Above about that plan so no surprises springs up ok?
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by ignis: 1:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
I don-t see anything wrong with it. Should a baby starve because the mum is in the public?

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by OkochiZico(m): 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2012
Thesame way is not wrong for grown ups to feed in public places parties, joints alike so also is justifiable for any woman to feed her baby anywhere, as much as she's doing that decently, e follow joor.

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by kandiikane(m): 2:02pm On Dec 21, 2012
I don't get how people will oppose it. Being in Africa, I use to see br.easts everywhere feeding small mouths. Market oo, street corner oo, bus oo. So, I'm shocked when I find that people are against it. Where I'm from, you'll see a young woman with her br.east hanging and it nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by shevon: 2:03pm On Dec 21, 2012
asog: Hello nairaland pals, just want to know your view on this subject. I was sitting beside a woman in a wedding service, her baby started crying uncontrollably, she dint know what else to do but to breastfeed the child instantly.

I had no issue with it at all, infact to me, that was a perfect move. What shocked me was when some wannabe babes behind started making some funny comments lk *jeeeezzzee*, *gross*. Funny enough the tube gowns that they were putting on was even exposing more breast tissue than the breastfeeding mama.

Please is it bad to breast feed in d public

My dear, if I were you I would have simply turned to the babes and point it out to them that I'm more comfy with the woman feeding her baby than I would have been seating next to the with what they are wearing. I seriously do not see anything wrong in what the woman did. What would they have had her do in that instance? Leave the venue cos she wants to feed her baby?
I'd always encourage any woman to feed her child whenever the need arises but she should do it in a decent manner. (my 2cents)

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Aluweezy(m): 2:05pm On Dec 21, 2012
Well, if you ask me...i think it sucks! Geddit? SUCKS! Hehehehe :p cheesy
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by yuzedo: 2:09pm On Dec 21, 2012
WE MEN ARE NOT COMPLAINING......... tongue tongue tongue
Please continue, but show us the 2nd bobbie too while at it... grin wink kiss

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Blackteeth(m): 2:13pm On Dec 21, 2012
According to women, its only when the niipples is exposed that a breastt has been exposed.
Re: Breastfeeding In Public - What Is Your View by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 21, 2012
And it happens to be seen mostly among the Hausas! angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? / Men/guys Plz Stop Encouraging/producing Baby Mamas / "Marriage Will Forever Be One Of Life's Achievements" - Jullie Cassie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.