Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1274723 members, 1753519 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 November 2014 at 12:47 PM

Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? - TV/Movies (1) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? (7897 Views)

What Movies Actually Looked Like Before Visual Effects Were Added / Free Nigerian Movies: Leave onlinenigeria.com alone / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by safarigirl(f): 7:17pm On Dec 23, 2012
Shaw007: GUy LOck-up Oh . . .gone are d days i used 2 hate naija movies with passion!! But dz days,i'm Loving 'em with figurine ,last fLight,MIRROR BOY etc . . .and d actors have upgraded,even genie sef no wan greegrin . . .even if they arnt d best they av 2 be one Of . . .

In terms of series tho, , ,i Love south africa with scandal,jacobs cross(which is even part Nigerian) . . .

And once in awhile too,others(kenya,egypt,ehthiopia ,gambia) drop kiLLing onez tOo . . .

OveraLL. . .NOLLywood is reaLLy improving and I'm Loving it
in series, I'm good with Tinsel, I hate Jacob's Cross (not my style)
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by FatBest(m): 7:22pm On Dec 23, 2012
Peeps stop deceiving yourselves,Naija is all about quantity not quality.south African movies are far much better than any other african movies. Here are some of south Africa's movies better than nigeria's Million movies; SARAFINA,MAMA JACK,JERUSALEMA.To mention but a few
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 23, 2012
If Nollywood movies are the best in Africa, then. . . . ROTFLMAO!!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Adufaye(m): 7:28pm On Dec 23, 2012
holly,televisa n nolly....d 3best in da world
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by purplebrown: 7:28pm On Dec 23, 2012
Having watched Tsotsi, jerusalem, Mama Jack, Mr Bones, Mr Bones 2, white wedding, Zama Zama, shucks shabalala guide to SA, Distric 9 and Zulu on my stoep.
And other hollywood movies which were shot in SA like jackie Chan's Who Am I?, Invictus, Safe House, Dark Tide, Blood Diamond, Dredd, Lord of war, Blast, lost boys and Endgame I can really say SA movies are really the best. I watched some nollywood movies like Mr Ibu and Oh my Son which are great movies but lacks quality pictures and sound seems to be a problem. The best nollywood movie I've ever watched is Blood and Oil which was shot in delta not sure. I haven't watched Ghana movies or kenyan movies yet so I can't say SA movies are the best movies in whole of Africa.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by nollywood20: 7:39pm On Dec 23, 2012
NO.

The best movies in Africa qualify for the Cannes Film Festival and the foreign language category of the Oscars where Nigerian moves have failed to even make the nominations.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Deiok: 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2012
I wouldnt rate nollywood any better cause i dont realy see good story or message from it, except re-use of one storyline and less creativity.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by saxywale(m): 9:39pm On Dec 23, 2012
purplebrown: Having watched Tsotsi, jerusalem, Mama Jack, Mr Bones, Mr Bones 2, white wedding, Zama Zama, shucks shabalala guide to SA, Distric 9 and Zulu on my stoep.
And other hollywood movies which were shot in SA like jackie Chan's Who Am I?, Invictus, Safe House, Dark Tide, Blood Diamond, Dredd, Lord of war, Blast, lost boys and Endgame I can really say SA movies are really the best. I watched some nollywood movies like Mr Ibu and Oh my Son which are great movies but lacks quality pictures and sound seems to be a problem. The best nollywood movie I've ever watched is Blood and Oil which was shot in delta not sure. I haven't watched Ghana movies or kenyan movies yet so I can't say SA movies are the best movies in whole of Africa.
End of discussion.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by ayandee: 10:09pm On Dec 23, 2012
Few Nigerian movies are impressive. I saw Ije today- a Nigerian movie shot in d US. I think it's suspense-filled and impressive. Thumbs up to Genevive n Omotola
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by ladeski: 10:11pm On Dec 23, 2012
PurpleBrown is the closest to answering the question.

Secondly I thought we had the AMAAs (African Movie Academy Awards) to reward achievements in music, sound, acting, plot, cinematography,editing, directing etc.

Why don't we all do some research and find out that Nigeria pales in the award winners, compared to other African acts overall dating back to a few years (we dominated till recently).

Last year 'how to steal 2 million' a SA movie won for best movie and director. Nigeria however won in short film and documentary categories.Adesuwa particularly won awards in 'non major cats'. Majid won best actor while Rita Dominic won for actress.

In terms of quality we are not, however work from Mirror Boy, Ije, the figurine shows promise. Having said that this pales when comparing to movies such as Tsotsi and district 9 (south african). In the early days Nigerian actors , actresses etc dominated the awards but as we have seen increased funding into movie production in other places without a corresponding effect in ours, its no mystery why the tide has changed.

To conclude Tsotsi, a South African production won the OSCAR for best foreign language film in 2005. It was shot with $3million dollars. You can't honestly compare that to 'my inlaw parts 1 and 2. Can you?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Memphis357(m): 10:54pm On Dec 23, 2012
safarigirl: Yes, P-square in Ghana, sold out, P-square in Rwanda, sold out, P-square in Zim, sold out...bros millions of people in Africa today can not boast of having even one Weatern song in their playlist, cos our music is the bomb, we do genres that Africans can relate to- afrobeat, highlife, Fuji...it's not until someone goes Lionel Richie or Stevie Wonder that he'll sell...see Darey that does that, after Not the Girl and Sisi Eko (that many attribute it's success to Flavor's input), what else he gat?
And how does the Western world receive 9ja music?
Truth is they don't. Have any of our major acts have headlining tours in the US or Europe. A big NO!!! The problem with us is that we haven't learn to present our entertainment as a thing of ingenuity and creativity. Our artists are just a poor imitation of their US counterparts. If you could take your mind back to 2005 when MTV was launched in Africa,Will Smith,while performing his hit single then...."Switch" made very good use of the South African Zulu dancers. The South Africans were wise enough to show their culture on a global scale. Even Ludacris used them for the video of his hit single then "Pimping all over the world". Please,it's about time we do away with all the mediocrity we got in our entertainment industry and stop dick ridding foreign acts.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Localamos(m): 12:12am On Dec 24, 2012
Dunno if they are the best or worst, but the quality of production and the outrageous number of releases leaves us to wonder when Nollywood would stop this mediocrity?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Siena(m): 12:59am On Dec 24, 2012
In my opinion, Nigerian movies have a long way to go. Though they've improved in recent times, Ghanaian movies are still way ahead.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by melodytos(m): 1:11am On Dec 24, 2012
Eze Promoe: It's kinda true, but compared to other African countries, Nigeria could be better off. But i heard Nollywood is the third largest film industry in the world, how true could this be?
best movie industries in the world
Hollywood
Hindi film industry (aka Bollywood)
Chinese film industry
South Korean film industry
Italian film industry
Japanese industry
French film industry
Spain's film industry
German film industry
South Korean film industry
Nigerian film industry (aka Nollywood)
in term of number of production in a year nollywood is following bollywood
"According to the survey, Bollywood produced 1,091 feature-length films in 2006 compared to 872 productions (in video format) from Nigeria’s film industry, which is commonly referred to as Nollywood. In contrast, the United States produced 485 major films The three heavyweights were followed by eight countries that produced more than 100 films: Japan (417), China (330), France (203), Germany (174), Spain (150), Italy (116), South Korea (110) and the United Kingdom (104). "
best movie industry is different from number of production by movie industry.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by jeremiahugezu(m): 1:20am On Dec 24, 2012
The people that will ultimately change the face of entertainment in Nigeria have not even joined the industry. You could be one of them. Make a positive move now.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Blackbody20(m): 1:23am On Dec 24, 2012
Memphis357:
Truth is they don't. Have any of our major acts have headlining tours in the US or Europe. A big NO!!! The problem with us is that we haven't learn to present our entertainment as a thing of ingenuity and creativity. Our artists are just a poor imitation of their US counterparts. If you could take your mind back to 2005 when MTV was launched in Africa,Will Smith,while performing his hit single then...."Switch" made very good use of the South African Zulu dancers. The South Africans were wise enough to show their culture on a global scale. Even Ludacris used them for the video of his hit single then "Pimping all over the world". Please,it's about time we do away with all the mediocrity we got in our entertainment industry and stop dick ridding foreign acts.
[color=#006600][/color] Bros! No allow sentiment kill u. I mean, are u a Nigerian at all? How on earth ll u claim that the western world didnt receive our music? Many of our local artiste have had tours both in UK and US.(google it) They have even featured the top acts in the world of music. I know and am sure dat u re not updated thats why ur mind is filled with delusive claims.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Mogidi: 1:24am On Dec 24, 2012
99% of Africans enjoy Nigerian films more than they do SA films. I live in London and can attest to the fact many Africans (especially women) I meet ask me about Genevieve, Omotola Ini edo etc. Am not a movie buff so I know very little about movies but the way other nationalities crave nigerian movies leads me to the fact that it may not be the best but they're the most watched and liked.

Facts:
Type African movies on youtube and you'd find out nollywood dominates the industry in both quantity and view count.
BlackBerry Babes has 2,096,287 views
Mad Sex 2 has 2,042,209 views

@Memphis357
Forget the fact that the D'Banjs,P Squares,2faces,Banky Ws,WizKids are gettin recognition but in reality do they have sold out concerts as their counterparts from Western countries?

Rome was not built in a day dude. I don't find German, Polish or French artists selling out concerts other than in their own countries.
I have never heard any Chinese song even though there are a billion of them.
P-Square - Chop My Money remix with Akon has a whopping 12,106,701 view count.
We should sometimes be optimistic about our achievements.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Originalsly: 1:30am On Dec 24, 2012
Nollywood movies exploded abroad around 2004 although the production quality was far worse than it is today. The stories were Nigerian...actors were Nigerians who spoke in their own accents....the settings were local....the clothing local....the foods local and the movies family friendly. From the time the locals learn that there was a demand for Nollywood movies especially in New York....everything changed. Instead of promoting Nigerian culture...overnight Nollywood believed they were Hollywood and went astray. ... churning out garbage. The stars that put Nollywood into the international spotlight ....Genevieve, Omotola, Stella , Stephanie, Kate Henshaw, Maureen Solomon and Mama G ......Nkem, Olu Jacobs, Francis Duru and Desmond Elliot .....and the hit director Chide Chekere....have not been featured in recent years and Nollywood has since been taking a beating. Hopefully, Gene and Stephanie alongside Isaiah Washington and Vivica Fox can revive interest when they hit the big screen in the crossover movie "Dr Bello" shot mainly in New York and Nigeria by professionals.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Nobody: 1:34am On Dec 24, 2012
^Interesting Post, i had no idea Vivica was Working on Such a Project
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by kandiikane(m): 3:07am On Dec 24, 2012
onila: obviously the best

the third biggest movie industry in the world and the first in Africa

brought in more millions than any other movie industry in africa

Lool, smh
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by HARDDON: 3:36am On Dec 24, 2012
If 9ja movies r d only way to promote culture, dén let d culture rest in pieces!

No matter wot ya'll preach, ï aint seeing those shyts u call home Ish!

I'd rada hv me a nice lil slip dan waste ma wags!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by henrychubayo: 5:31am On Dec 24, 2012
Memphis357:

my men, plz do not talk what you do not know. Am in south Africa currently and i know how Nigeria songs are rated. The zulu dance does not take them anywhere. it is in south africa only that its appreciated. Not other african country care about that. You asked these question (Have any of our major acts have headlining tours in the US or Europe?) The answer is that by the time we start to recognize that our population is a great advantage and we not publicity other than the one we have gotten at home and in africa in general. The money made by P-square, Tuface, D-bange, etc, were they made in the us or europe? the money they use to buy mansions, but private jets and many other things, was it made in us or europe? Until you got to some african countries, you we appreciate what you have.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Shaw007(m): 7:37am On Dec 24, 2012
safarigirl: in series, I'm good with Tinsel, I hate Jacob's Cross (not my style)
yeah i 4goT 2 add tinseL . . .jacob's cross i find reaLLY intriguing,u just gotta Love the strory . . .and d smOoth bLend of business and conspiracy,LoveLy . . .
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Shaw007(m): 7:45am On Dec 24, 2012
Memphis357:
ur just argueing bLindLy . . .I'M talking very bLindly!!!! I doubt if you knw anything about entertainment at all

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by safarigirl(f): 8:59am On Dec 24, 2012
I feel that right now, they're trying to return to showing off our culture, geographical area and co. As we used to see in movies like Ijele and Full Moon, 'I'll take my chances' showed off the culture of the Efik/Ibibio, 'Black Gold' showed the real deal behind all the oil, and 'Dr. Bello' which was recently shot and should be released soon, aims to show not just the culture, but the beautiful natural habitats and geographical splendour of the country. Those mentioning movies like 'Tsosi' and the likes, that movie was as at 04 right? With Hollywood collabos, Mr. Bones was like a rip-off of God's Must Be Crazy...to me SA movies will always be hyped more than anything Nigerian cos their Afrikaans people make sure of it, if it's only those lazy, xenophobic Zulus, their movies would have been....

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 24, 2012
Yeah we're the Best in making Thousands Shitty Movies In Just a Year -- Beat That! cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Memphis357(m): 9:12am On Dec 24, 2012
Blackbody20: [color=#006600][/color] Bros! No allow sentiment kill u. I mean, are u a Nigerian at all? How on earth ll u claim that the western world didnt receive our music? Many of our local artiste have had tours both in UK and US.(google it) They have even featured the top acts in the world of music. I know and am sure dat u re not updated thats why ur mind is filled with delusive claims.
I still stand by view. How many of them would get the same reception that Rick Ross or Lil Wayne would receive when they are in the states. When they are touring Europe or US,do you see fans waiting for them @ their airports,waiting to give them warm reception. How many of their singles or albums have actually charted on the BillBoard charts or Neilson Soundscan? For your information,the last time a song done by an African that ruled the airwaves round the world was a song done by Youssour N'dour and Neneh Cherry titled "7 Seconds". Google the song and read about the impact it created as the song was the best song in Europe for the year in 1994. I really wish we could put sentiments aside and see things from a perspective angle.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Sike(m): 10:19am On Dec 24, 2012
Nollywood my foot!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by ladeski: 10:37am On Dec 24, 2012
Blackbody20: [color=#006600][/color] Bros! No allow sentiment kill u. I mean, are u a Nigerian at all? How on earth ll u claim that the western world didnt receive our music? Many of our local artiste have had tours both in UK and US.(google it) They have even featured the top acts in the world of music. I know and am sure dat u re not updated thats why ur mind is filled with delusive claims.

Bros the OPERATIVE word is HEADLINING tours, not just participating in them

Please read carefully and provide evidences of where Nigerian acts headlined tours in Europe and US where 20000 people were in audience and more.

Thirdly well received will be shown in the major awards when the quality is perceived to be right, I'm talking Grammys et al

Lastly this thread was for movies wasn't it?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by ladeski: 10:44am On Dec 24, 2012
onila: obviously the best

the third biggest movie industry in the world and the first in Africa

brought in more millions than any other movie industry in africa

Its not obvious. Far from it, unless for you mediocrity is a virtue.

Third biggest in volume doesn't mean much, for example Nigeria is the most populous black nation.....

Check the parallels and you will find that quality indeed trumps quantity.

1 Like

(0) (1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The History Of Nollywood: Nigeria's Mega Film Industry / Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria / Movies With The Most Surprising/twisted Endings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.