Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1212009 members, 1569488 topics. Date: Tuesday, 29 July 2014 at 11:44 AM

Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? (7182 Views)

What Movies Actually Looked Like Before Visual Effects Were Added / Free Nigerian Movies: Leave onlinenigeria.com alone / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Abbey2sam(m): 11:26am On Dec 24, 2012
Nollywood has really inproved in recent time,I must give it to them for showcasing Nigeria and Africa culture, and we must know that rome wasn't built in a day likewise hollywood,the people condeming nollywood need to read the history of hollywood,what I'm trying to say is that they have come a long way to get to where they are today.

As far as africa movie is concern;both music and movie nigeria is topin the list,without nigeria input in ghanawood their movie industry will crash,is just like nollywood opening a branch in ghana....ghanians expose their body too much all in the name of taking over the movie market in africa and it's not helping their film

Talking of southafrica movies,most of their films has foreign sponsors and experts that also work on the films, which I must their nigeria conterparts lack,I must say that they have good films to their record,and nigeria also have good and quality movies to their record.
Someone made mention of jacob cross,well you also need to watch tinsel on channel 152 afmag entertainment every week day by 7:30

Nigeria movies rock
watching mr and mrs..............
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Rossikk(m): 2:36am On Dec 25, 2012
In terms of its ability to appeal to, and capture the mass film market, YES the Nigerian movie industry is the best in Africa. In fact there's no contest. I was in Jamaica recently and you'd be hard-pressed to find a family there that didn't own at least 200 Nollywood films in their collection. I hear even in places like Mexico and Brazil they're wildly popular now, and subtitled. Nollywood has brought Nigeria a lot of acclaim and respect in many places, no doubt.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by cheikh: 2:48am On Dec 25, 2012
Memphis357
And how does the Western world receive 9ja music?
Truth is they don't. Have any of our major acts have headlining tours in the US or Europe. A big NO!!! The problem with us is that we haven't learn to present our entertainment as a thing of ingenuity and creativity.
Our artists are just a poor imitation of their US counterparts. If you could take your mind back to 2005 when MTV was launched in Africa,Will Smith,while performing his hit single then...."Switch" made very good use of the South African Zulu dancers. The South Africans were wise enough to show their culture on a global scale. Even Ludacris used them for the video of his hit single then "Pimping all over the world". Please,it's about time we do away with all the mediocrity we got in our entertainment industry and stop Joystick ridding foreign acts.

@^^ Why would the Western world receiving 9ja music be of great importance or be the "standard" for you? Is the naija market and the rest of the African world including the Americas not self sustaining/big enough? Inferiority complex and lack of self knowledge obviously is informing your viewpoint/world-view on the subject matter. Bros please relax Oyiboland/America is not usually the best standard/reference point for our collective growth/success grin wink. I love Nollywood warts and all grin grin wink. It is the best!. Burkinabes do produce some decent films financed usually by France but Nollywood is home grown and self sustaining without "external" or outside finance. Naija is a difficult place for many businesses let alone the film industry that have no support whatsoever including moral acknowledgement by the power mongers. The rest "competitors" like Hollywood, Bollywood etc have a lot of encouragement/acknowledgement by their home establishment/Government including the so called South African film industry/government. wink.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Msauza(m): 8:58am On Dec 25, 2012
[/b]
Mogidi: 99% of Africans enjoy Nigerian films more than they do SA films. I live in London and can attest to the fact many Africans (especially women) I meet ask me about Genevieve, Omotola Ini edo etc. Am not a movie buff so I know very little about movies but the way other nationalities crave nigerian movies leads me to the fact that it may not be the best but they're the most watched and liked.

Facts:
Type African movies on youtube and you'd find out nollywood dominates the industry in both quantity and view count.
BlackBerry Babes has [b]2,096,287
views
Mad Sex 2 has 2,042,209 views

@Memphis357

Rome was not built in a day dude. I don't find German, Polish or French artists selling out concerts other than in their own countries.
I have never heard any Chinese song even though there are a billion of them.
P-Square - Chop My Money remix with Akon has a whopping 12,106,701 view count.
We should sometimes be optimistic about our achievements.

Do not confuse viewership and quantity with the best. The question is " Are Nigerian movies actually the BEST in Africa?". My dictionary tells me that quantity is a number and the fact is; you can produce more but fail to produce one quality work. The same thing happens in India where many movies are produced within days at a low cost, but still fail to make it to the Oscar awards. I lived in New York in the US for two years and everytime African movies were released in the US cinemas majority of them happened to be from SA. While I was there I watched Catch a fire, Schuks Shabalala, Mr bones 1 and 2, Jerusalema played in the united states cinemas.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Msauza(m): 8:58am On Dec 25, 2012
[/b]
Mogidi: 99% of Africans enjoy Nigerian films more than they do SA films. I live in London and can attest to the fact many Africans (especially women) I meet ask me about Genevieve, Omotola Ini edo etc. Am not a movie buff so I know very little about movies but the way other nationalities crave nigerian movies leads me to the fact that it may not be the best but they're the most watched and liked.

Facts:
Type African movies on youtube and you'd find out nollywood dominates the industry in both quantity and view count.
BlackBerry Babes has [b]2,096,287
views
Mad Sex 2 has 2,042,209 views

@Memphis357

Rome was not built in a day dude. I don't find German, Polish or French artists selling out concerts other than in their own countries.

Do not confuse viewership and quantity with the best. The question is " Are Nigerian movies actually the BEST in Africa?". My dictionary tells me that quantity is a number and the fact is; you can produce more but fail to produce one quality work. The same thing happens in India where many movies are produced within days at a low cost, but still fail to make it to the Oscar awards. I lived in New York in the US for two years and everytime African movies were released in the US cinemas majority of them happened to be from SA. While I was there I watched Catch a fire, Schuks Shabalala, Mr bones 1 and 2, Jerusalema played in the united states cinemas.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by babyboy3(m): 9:35am On Dec 25, 2012
I saw an Congolese movie on Sky movies 2 months ago, it was one of the finest African movies I have ever seen since Tsotsi, The story-line, cinematography, sound editing, direction etc etc the actors behaved like Africans, not like Nollywood stars trying act American...

Viva Riva!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by babyboy3(m): 9:43am On Dec 25, 2012
Mogidi:

Björk Guðmundsdóttir is an Icelandic singer-songwriter

Bjork sells out in India let alone other European countries or America

PSY - Gangnam Style has over 1 billon Viewers
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by safarigirl(f): 6:40pm On Dec 25, 2012
baby-boy:

Björk Guðmundsdóttir is an Icelandic singer-songwriter

Bjork sells out in India let alone other European countries or America

PSY - Gangnam Style has over 1 billon Viewers
name African artistes please, I mean those of this century, not Youssou N'dour and the likes...whether Africans like it or not, the world (especially the West) would prefer to pretend you guys don't exist...so comparing yourselves with Asians and Europeans is a lot like an Igbo man thinking he'll be chosen for a government job in Nigeria over an Hausa man..it'll never happen, whether you like it or not.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by safarigirl(f): 6:44pm On Dec 25, 2012
baby-boy:
I saw an Congolese movie on Sky movies 2 months ago, it was one of the finest African movies I have ever seen since Tsotsi, The story-line, cinematography, sound editing, direction etc etc the actors behaved like Africans, not like Nollywood stars trying act American...

Viva Riva!
Festival of Fire
Full Moon
Ijele
Igodo...classic Nigerian movies..I watched Festival of fire last month and the picture quality seemed more like that of a 2012 movie, when in fact, it wasn't

Have you seen Figurine? Have you watched a Nigerian movie in the cinemas and not an Alaba dub?

Was Viva Riva a 100 percent Congolese production?

Nigerians are the best critics of their own products, but you would never hear that a non-Nigerian is doing same

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by nollywood20: 8:02pm On Dec 25, 2012
baby-boy:

Viva Riva!

I was at the private Nigerian premiere of Viva Riva. It made great reviews even in LA and got U.S. distribution.

Our Champions of Our Time is also worth mentioning here.

Champions of Our Time was sponsored by the Lagos State government and is the only Nollywood family movie that has won more local and international awards since 2010 to date. And it beat the highly award winning The Figurine of Kunle Afolayan to the much coveted ECOWAS Special Prize Prize For Integration For The Best West African Film [The first for a Nigerian film] and the Prix spécial du jury pour une œuvre de fiction TV/Vidéo (Special Jury Prize for TV/Video fiction) with a value of one million CFA francs at the highly competitive Panafrican Film and Television Festival of Ouagadougou ( FESPACO) in 2011.

Champions of Our Time with screenplay by the award winning screenwriter Chidi Nwokeabia and directed by award winning filmmaker Mak Kusare and Charles Inojie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOh2o4MWQVA

1. The Best Actress Award and Best Supporting Actress Award at Terracotta Film and Television Awards, 2010.

2. Champions of Our Time won the Best Film award at the 2010 Zafaa International Film Festival.

3. Best Film and the Best Actress Award at 2010 Abuja International Film Festival.

4. Golden Mboni Award at 2010 Lola Kenya Screen Festival.

5. Kenya, two awards at the 2010 Terracotta Awards.

6. Official Selection of the African Movies Academy Awards (AMAA 2010).

7. Official Selection of the 2010 Zanzibar International Film Festival.

8. Finalist at the 2011 16th International Family Film Festival in Hollywood, USA.

9. Official Selection of Deep Fried International Film Festival, U.K.

10. Official Selection of Lucasfilm International Film Festival in Germany.

11. The Child Friendly Film Prize, Home Video Integrity Awards (HOMEVIDA) 2011.

For more details on DVD copies, call Tel: 234 8035005391, 08023424770.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by deewhone(f): 7:30am On Dec 26, 2012
Eze Promoe: It's kinda true, but compared to other African countries, Nigeria could be better off. But i heard Nollywood is the third largest film industry in the world, how true could this be?
We r d 2nd, jst right behind India
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by EzePromoe: 12:16pm On Dec 26, 2012
deewhone: We r d 2nd, jst right behind India
What of Hollywood undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Afam4eva(m): 12:20pm On Dec 26, 2012
Eze Promoe:
What of Hollywood undecided
Yeah, we're second in terms of volume of movies produced. We're ahead of Hollywood.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by EzePromoe: 12:30pm On Dec 26, 2012
afam4eva:
Yeah, we're second in terms of volume of movies produced. We're ahead of Hollywood.
Interesting! So Hollywood don't produce up to the amount of films produced here in Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Afam4eva(m): 12:31pm On Dec 26, 2012
Eze Promoe:
Interesting! So Hollywood don't produce up to the amount of films produced here in Nigeria.
Yes, they don't. Just like we don't produce the amount of quality movies that they produce.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by nollywood20: 12:50pm On Dec 26, 2012
Eze Promoe:

Video is not film.

Nollywood is home videos industry.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by cheikh: 7:55pm On Dec 26, 2012
Msauza

@^^Whaooo since when did Hollywood become our value system let alone the standard for Indians and Africans? My friend India is far bigger than USA in numbers of eyeballs watching movies and Africa via Naija perhaps bigger too. This talk about quality is not exactly right given the paucity of technology/finance available to our[b] enterprising [/b] self taught film makers. Our stories are yet to be told. Hollywood is lacking in original stories but full of electronic rassmatazz/gimmickry grin. Perhaps the gimmicks are the interesting part for you hence the talk about elusive and very subjective "quality". We should stop comparing Nollywood to Hollywood. They are two different value/technical systems. We do not manufacture film props and equipments anywhere in Africa except perhaps in "white" South Africa- that says a lot about the history of the country/film industry. Nigeria after all acquired/started TV(Western NIgeria) first in Africa but has anything changed for the better? The South African films you are so in love with are just mere films mimicking Western aesthetics without much relevance to Africans who should be the focus/market place not faraway NY-USA chasing shadows hence Nollywood is making more money/relevant than RSA film makers "quality" or not. The stories are relevant/enthralling to majority of the African world including the diaspora.Please review your aesthetic view point perhaps you may learn to appreciate the inherent beauty of Nollywood without "technical" wizardry/gimmickry. They will acquire the knowhow soon so no big deal.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Afam4eva(m): 8:02pm On Dec 26, 2012
cheikh: Msauza
[/b]
since when did Hollywood become our value system let alone the standard for Indians and Africans?
I wonder ooo...i don't know when winning an oscar(an American award) has become a yardstick for adjudging movies. People should focus on getting awards from their country rather than waiting to be waiting to be validated by America.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by speedyboi(m): 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2012
afam4eva:
I wonder ooo...i don't know when winning an oscar(an American award) has become a yardstick for adjudging movies. People should focus on getting awards from their country rather than waiting to be waiting to be validated by America.

I've always wondered this as well. I guess its just the african mindset. Inferiority complex! Can't you just run your own shii? Isn't it enough to win AMAA? Oscar is not a world award...the criteria used might not even fit into the african cinema just as that of AMAA might not fit into the Hollywood cinema. Last I checked Hollywood don't run for foreign awards. Hollywood infact is just an overhyped industry. Africans are just deluded!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Msauza(m): 9:37am On Dec 27, 2012
[/b]

@^^Whaooo since when did Hollywood become our value system let alone the standard for Indians and Africans? My friend India is far bigger than USA in numbers of eyeballs watching movies and Africa via Naija perhaps bigger too. This talk about quality is not exactly right given the paucity of technology/finance available to our[b] enterprising [/b] self taught film makers. Our stories are yet to be told. Hollywood is lacking in original stories but full of electronic rassmatazz/gimmickry grin. Perhaps the gimmicks are the interesting part for you hence the talk about elusive and very subjective "quality". We should stop comparing Nollywood to Hollywood. They are two different value/technical systems. We do not manufacture film props and equipments anywhere in Africa except perhaps in "white" South Africa- that says a lot about the history of the country/film industry. Nigeria after all acquired/started TV(Western NIgeria) first in Africa but has anything changed for the better? The South African films you are so in love with are just mere films mimicking Western aesthetics without much relevance to Africans who should be the focus/market place not faraway NY-USA chasing shadows hence Nollywood is making more money/relevant than RSA film makers "quality" or not. The stories are relevant/enthralling to majority of the African world including the diaspora.Please review your aesthetic view point perhaps you may learn to appreciate the inherent beauty of Nollywood without "technical" wizardry/gimmickry. They will acquire the knowhow soon so no big deal.

You are missing a point here and your argument is irrelevant. We are speaking about the quality (The best) and not about who is making more money or who is producing more movies which sometimes does not make sense. Nollyhood movies still has a lot to improve, from picture, sound, cinematography and editing and besides most of their movies are recorded in the VCD format which freezes easily most of the time. The overuse of witchcraft and voodoo in most of their movies is very disturbing and the technology they use to depict such magical powers in practice is very amateurish and very insultive to our intelligence. The use of Part 1 , Part 2 and Part 3 to divide their movies is really unnecessary as they make the story long for no reason.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Msauza(m): 9:49am On Dec 27, 2012
afam4eva:

There is an importance in that, because how will you come to know if your movies are the best if they do not receive honours from other nations?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by cheikh: 2:15am On Dec 28, 2012
Msauza
You are missing a point here and your argument is irrelevant. We are speaking about the quality (The best) and not about who is making more money or who is producing more movies which sometimes does not make sense. Nollyhood movies still has a lot to improve, from picture, sound, cinematography and editing and besides most of their movies are recorded in the VCD format which freezes easily most of the time. The overuse of witchcraft and voodoo in most of their movies is very disturbing and the technology they use to depict such magical powers in practice is very amateurish and very insultive to our intelligence. The use of Part 1 , Part 2 and Part 3 to divide their movies is really unnecessary as they make the story long for no reason.

@^^ Please re-read my post again. I have not said that the "quality" is fantastic. Did I? Nevertheless, implied in the very subjective "quality" debate is an assumption that Nollywood is no good as demonstrated in your write-up above. Every watcher of Nollywood knows and is exasperated by the above mentioned technical faults nevertheless most of the stories they convey are compelling and very relevant to the consumers including your good self grin wink hence you are annoyed because of the "technicalities" etc grin grin. My friend relax. Many of us are willing to overlook those temporary technical faults most times because we know our shortcomings as a people without any technical "sophistication"/abilities given our general lack of resources. We should be a little mindful and generous of spirit to our compatriots who have taken the bull by the horns to do for self what the government or others cannot do- self employment(self taught), massive job creation, entrepreneurship and positive representation/promotion of Naija which our so called government officials/reps cannot do nor capable of doing(lootocracy). Bro, I very much understand and sympathise with your viewpoint because you are obviously nurtured/addicted to everything "Western"/Hollywood as your "standard"/yardstick that's not to say we do not acknowledge/accept some goodness from your worldview. "Quality" is a relative concept so we cannot be overly dogmatic and ascribing some "spurious" value to our own home grown industry which clearly is not competing with anybody. I believe Nollywood will improve immeasurably with time and with some of your "positive" criticisms taken on board they will surely be making some movies you'll find qualitatively good and perhaps attractive/conducive to your aesthetic taste too without the "voodoo" nor part 1, 2 and 3. grin grin. It's no biggie wink. Why are you so hung up about awards/validation by Hollywood(Americans)? I think the African world have actually validated the relative "quality" of Nollywood films by their massive popularity and consumption everywhere Africans(blacks) reside globally wink. To me the "Quality" debate is rather pseudo-intellectual and not exactly clear enough because your "technical" reasons may seem plausible but lacking in empathy and clear understanding of the environment in which those films are made/produced/marketed for our consumption. African awards are more meaningful for us and that is what matters including the financial rewards too hence it is a growing three hundred(300) million dollars industry.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Msauza(m): 11:29am On Dec 28, 2012

@^^ Please re-read my post again. I have not said that the "quality" is fantastic. Did I? Nevertheless, implied in the very subjective "quality" debate is an assumption that Nollywood is no good as demonstrated in your write-up above. Every watcher of Nollywood knows and is exasperated by the above mentioned technical faults nevertheless most of the stories they convey are compelling and very relevant to the consumers including your good self grin wink hence you are annoyed because of the "technicalities" etc grin grin. My friend relax. Many of us are willing to overlook those temporary technical faults most imes because we know our shortcomings as a people without any technical "sophistication"/abilities given our general lack of resources. We should be a little mindful and generous of spirit to our compatriots who have taken the bull by the horns to do for self what the government or others cannot do- self employment(self taught), massive job creation, entrepreneurship and positive representation/promotion of Naija which our so called government officials/reps cannot do nor capable of doing(lootocracy). Bro, I very much understand and sympathise with your viewpoint because you are obviously nurtured/addicted to everything "Western"/Hollywood as your "standard"/yardstick that's not to say we do not acknowledge/accept some goodness from your worldview. "Quality" is a relative concept so we cannot be overly dogmatic and ascribing some "spurious" value to our own home grown industry which clearly is not competing with anybody. I believe Nollywood will improve immeasurably with time and with some of your "positive" criticisms taken on board they will surely be making some movies you'll find qualitatively good and perhaps attractive/conducive to your aesthetic taste too without the "voodoo" nor part 1, 2 and 3. grin grin. It's no biggie wink. Why are you so hung up about awards/validation by Hollywood(Americans)? I think the African world have actually validated the relative "quality" of Nollywood films by their massive popularity and consumption everywhere Africans(blacks) reside globally wink. To me the "Quality" debate is rather pseudo-intellectual and not exactly clear enough because your "technical" reasons may seem plausible but lacking in empathy and clear understanding of the environment in which those films are made/produced/marketed for our consumption. African awards are more meaningful for us and that is what matters including the financial rewards too hence it is a growing three hundred(300) million dollars industry.

Whether you like it or not, Hollywood will always be a pacesetter and modelled by any film industry outside the United States. Nollyhood actors themselves have recently teamed-up with Hollywood actors in the movie Dr Bello and hopefully its a dream of every Nigerian actor to feature in Hollywood movies.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by babyboy3(m): 3:01am On Dec 29, 2012
safarigirl:
Festival of Fire
Full Moon
Ijele
Igodo...classic Nigerian movies..I watched Festival of fire last month and the picture quality seemed more like that of a 2012 movie, when in fact, it wasn't

Have you seen Figurine? Have you watched a Nigerian movie in the cinemas and not an Alaba dub?

Was Viva Riva a 100 percent Congolese production?

Nigerians are the best critics of their own products, but you would never hear that a non-Nigerian is doing same

Have I seen Figurine?

Story LINE - ZERO

Acting - Tell me how would you put Ramsey to act as a Youth Copper? its like asking Will Smith to act the role of Uni Gradate.

The Subtitle - Nuff said!!!!

Then the way they call ARAROMIRE as if they were spelling it out each time they call it.....

This is the way I see it, when you look at movies from Gollywood or from the Ghanaians The pictures are sharper, the sound editing is better, directing is better, cinematography, final production is far better than Nollywood movies but their acting is ZERO, this shows that the Ghanaians invest more money into their industry, whereas Nollywood seems stick to fire fighting approach to producing movies....

Africa has had 5 nominees for the best foreign film award at the Oscars 3 from Algeria and 2 from South Africa
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by babyboy3(m): 3:11am On Dec 29, 2012
Msauza:

Whether you like it or not, Hollywood will always be a pacesetter and modelled by any film industry outside the United States. Nollyhood actors themselves have recently teamed-up with Hollywood actors in the movie Dr Bello and hopefully its a dream of every Nigerian actor to feature in Hollywood movies.

The Producer of the Movie is someone who grew up in America and Both Vivica Fox and Isaiah Washington are not house hold Hollywood names, Vivica is out dated in Hollywood no one uses her anymore and Isaiah the same and once your not on Tyler Perry list then Nollywood is your next destination. Adding Vivica to the movie does nothing to enhance the popularity of the movie.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by babyboy3(m): 3:27am On Dec 29, 2012
safarigirl: name African artistes please, I mean those of this century, not Youssou N'dour and the likes...whether Africans like it or not, [b]the world (especially the West) would prefer to pretend you guys don't exist...[/b]so comparing yourselves with Asians and Europeans is a lot like an Igbo man thinking he'll be chosen for a government job in Nigeria over an Hausa man..it'll never happen, whether you like it or not.

If Barack Obama had followed your thought line he would have given up from day one, 100s African movies are been released all over Europe and US but unfortunately they are not from Nollywood, most of the movies from Freench speaking African countries are like gold dust in France and Belgium, the same with Portuguese speaking African countries but Nollywood, they are not Interested because of the poor quality or copying story-lines, Tell me who wont be turned off when the name of a movie is called Blackberry Babes, Sharon Stone of Abuja, Rihanna and Beyonce, Omo Gucci!!! Common this shows that less thought has gone into these movie production.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by cheikh: 4:28am On Dec 29, 2012
Safarigirl
Yes, P-square in Ghana, sold out, P-square in Rwanda, sold out, P-square in Zim, sold out...bros millions of people in Africa today can not boast of having even one Weatern song in their playlist, cos our music is the bomb, we do genres that Africans can relate to- afrobeat, highlife, Fuji...it's not until someone goes Lionel Richie or Stevie Wonder that he'll sell...see Darey that does that, after Not the Girl and Sisi Eko (that many attribute it's success to Flavor's input), what else he gat?

@^^ Your patriotism is boundless grin wink. I sincerely admire your write-up on the topic.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by cheikh: 4:34am On Dec 29, 2012
Msauza

@^^ It is clear that you do not understand my stance on this topic hence your post is not directed to me I guess. Please re-read my post again and review your reply wink grin.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by Msauza(m): 7:53am On Dec 29, 2012
baby-boy:

The Producer of the Movie is someone who grew up in America and Both Vivica Fox and Isaiah Washington are not house hold Hollywood names, Vivica Fox is out dated in Hollywood no one uses her anymore and Isaiah the same and once your not on Tyler Perry list then Nollywood is your next destination. Adding Vivica to the movie does nothing to enhance the popularity of the movie.

Do you suggest that Vivica Fox and Isaiah Washington are nothing compared to South African born Hollywood actress Charlize Theron? Lol!!!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by safarigirl(f): 2:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
Msauza:

Do you suggest that Vivica Fox and Isaiah Washington are nothing compared to South African born Hollywood actress Charlize Theron? Lol!!!
Yes! She will get roles before they'll be considered for one sole fact, whether South African-born or Sudanese-born, she will always be considered first in Hollywood above those two cos she's WHITE
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by babyboy3(m): 9:13pm On Dec 29, 2012
safarigirl: Yes! She will get roles before they'll be considered for one sole fact, whether South African-born or Sudanese-born, she will always be considered first in Hollywood above those two cos she's WHITE

Because she is good!!!

You need to removed the chip off your shoulder!!! Vivicab Fox is nothing compared to Theron as an Actress whether white or black, Theron was there when they gave the role of a Bond girl to Halle Berry! The Ghetto in Vivica is plain to see in every time she acts.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? by speedyboi(m): 10:43pm On Dec 29, 2012
baby-boy:

Have I seen Figurine?

Story LINE - ZERO

Acting - Tell me how would you put Ramsey to act as a Youth Copper? its like asking Will Smith to act the role of Uni Gradate.

The Subtitle - Nuff said!!!!

Then the way they call ARAROMIRE as if they were spelling it out each time they call it.....

This is the way I see it, when you look at movies from Gollywood or from the Ghanaians The pictures are sharper, the sound editing is better, directing is better, cinematography, final production is far better than Nollywood movies but their acting is ZERO, this shows that the Ghanaians invest more money into their industry, whereas Nollywood seems stick to fire fighting approach to producing movies....

Africa has had 5 nominees for the best foreign film award at the Oscars 3 from Algeria and 2 from South Africa

Okay Shut up now! angry

Reading the bolded, you look like a mad fella

(0) (1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ice-Prince To Star In 'House Of Gold' Yvonne Nelson's Movie / Funke Akindele Announces Plans To Release Jenifa 4 / Download House Of Gold Part 1 And Part 2 By Yvonne Nelson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.