Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! (22346 Views)

7 Mental Shifts That Allowed Me To Become A Millionaire At 22-marvejohndaily.com / Financial Mistakes That Almost Wasted My First Five Years Of Work! / 6 Simple Steps To Become A Millionaire At The Age Of 25 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by excel123: 4:42am On Dec 29, 2012
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by kabaka1: 4:45am On Dec 29, 2012
alabiyemmy:

I dont think any school system in the world teaches innovation or creativeness. Ask Bill Gates, ask the guys at Google or even ask Mark himself.

How can any Nigerian youth be innovative when an average youth believes he cant do anything worthwhile with himself unless he travels abroad, or unless he has someone in high places. with such minds, how can they be innovative or creative?

However, it is wrong on the part of the writer to conclude that no Nigerian youth can be a millionaire at the age of 24 legitimately - such conclusions further brings down the psyche of the youth when they are being told by those who should know better that they cant succeed.

Most will blame it on leadership - but then, is it the government that will make you broaden your mind to see endless possibilities laid before you? I like the writer to read books on success and succeeding in life. It has nothing to do with age but on how you are able to use your mind.

With such assumptions above, an average youth is already consigned to a never do well thought process. Guys, you can make it if you want.

I agreed with the author of this article 100% initially, but ur point swayed my agreement with this author to agree with u more. I mostly agree with u that no school in d world explicitly teaches innovation, and also ur point that d goby can't be fully blamed for d lack of innovation amongst our youth.

I think d core problem of our youths is that they're programmer to seek 4 quick result from their efforts and also even the youth who show some sparks of innovation can easily get discouraged if their effort doesn't yield d quick result that they expect.
But I think that the govt alleviate this mentality by creating more notable systems that will make the youths to feel more rewarded 4 their innovative explorations 2. The siciety as a whole should be part of this effort.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by obyrich(m): 4:47am On Dec 29, 2012
billionairesjg: Thought provoking post.
I personally believe that the failure of leadership and the Nigerian system should not be our own reason to fail. Look around,many young people have arisen against all odds to succed-for instance I lost both parents by 16, had almost no support from family and literally paid my way through the university, now I'm 28 and have a business with eight staff that's worth 15 million naira, and growing...
All I'm saying is that if you really want success badly, you'll consider the " system" a stepping stone and not an impediment.
How did you make it?? If you succeeded by dint of hardwork and not by cutting corners and cheating, did you become a millionaire at 24? I know many oil bunkerers and drug peddlers who made it much earlier than 24. If you really want to motivate Nigerian youths tell us exactly what you did. ATIKU and IBB lost their parents at a much younger age than you and by their 28 birthday, they have achieved much more. There are many ways to create wealth open to the Nigerian graduate. I have many friends who run exam malpractice centres and are smiling to the banks with their millions. Is that a legit business? In my days as an undergraduate I was once contracted for 120k to cover a school owned by a Reverend in science subjects in Wassce. Many people are not rich today because their conscience is still alive. You can make millions at 20 and be bankrupt at 40. Ask Mike Tyson and Evander Holy who made $250m and $350m respectively in their boxing careers how much they retired with. All the same congrats if the means is genuine.

2 Likes

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by LeJeun3: 4:48am On Dec 29, 2012
Abagworo: I don't know about others but all my friends became millionaires (in Naira) before the age of 24 and these all happened between 2006 and now. Few are not maried but I can't count any that does not own a house and some cars or is jobless. The truth is that if you plan well, you'll do well and the planning starts from secondary school. You need to think of something innovative and plan to realize it before you graduate. Do not take cultism seriously or plan to get job or succeed after school through cultism. Most people that get employed on leaving University are usually the smart ones(not neccessarily 1st class but street wise) and mostly in banking. The sharp ones leave banking in less than 2years probably at the age of 23 to start self-employed ventures while others get better jobs in Shell, Total etc.
Bro, U'll need to tell us a little bout ur friends! Background? Field of study? Cos how does someone get into school Nigeria @ 18, do a 5yrs course, do his NYSC and still be a millionaire at 24? #Just thinkin

Heard someone say entrepeneurship, I can say I have been one since JSS3, its an uphill task and I am still climbing. Depends on what U r doing anyway!

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by soulamanne(m): 4:59am On Dec 29, 2012
Few posts induce a comment from me;this is one!the poster is absolutely spot on!the only point that may be arguable(not totally true)is the grade part of it.not cos I graduated with a 3rd class(and truly ve had a big job slip through my finger cos of it),but cos there are 1001 1st class guys out there without jobs.the basis of this is just that our society is fast collapsing!dreams seldom come true in nigeria.one just has to fit his dreams into the obtainable reality.my father was almost done with child bearing@30 and am sure most of our parents had totally been weaned of their parents at that age.
See where lack of good governance has led us to.it is so sad and disheartening.I remain confident Nigeria is a great country blessed with all form of resources human inclusive.God has just denied us of good leaders...let's pray;God,pls give us good leaders sadFew posts induce a comment from me;this is one!the poster is absolutely spot on!the only point that may be arguable(not totally true)is the grade part of it.not cos I graduated with a 3rd class(and truly ve had a big job slip through my finger cos of it),but cos there are 1001 1st class guys out there without jobs.the basis of this is just that our society is fast collapsing!dreams seldom come true in nigeria.one just has to fit his dreams into the obtainable reality.my father was almost done with child bearing@30 and am sure most of our parents had totally been weaned of their parents at that age.
See where lack of good governance has led us to.it is so sad and disheartening.I remain confident Nigeria is a great country blessed with all form of resources human inclusive.God has just denied us of good leaders...let's pray;God,pls give us good leaders
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by hollypagan: 5:06am On Dec 29, 2012
Being a graduate does not make u sometime to be a millionaire sometim, its ability to put an effort in ur own initiative and self employ
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by LeJeun3: 5:06am On Dec 29, 2012
vivian chinaza:

You really wanna know? Ok, nobody laid any foundation for me. I worked, that was even before I gained admission into the university.

Have you ever heard of GBARAN-UBIE INTEGRATED OIL AND GAS PROJECT? It is the biggest Gas plant project in West Africa if I'm not mistaking and its located in Bayelsa state. I was part of the crew that built it .... The phase one of it and its up and running now and its being run by SPDC. Phase two is kicking off soon too and if God wills it, I'm gonna be part of it too.

Satisfied?

You worked how? Is that plant in your community? If Yes, then Voila!
Don't demean others because you feel you have arrived.

Wealth is a function of Age......

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 5:17am On Dec 29, 2012
alabiyemmy: What an affront on Nigerian youths. What is this writer thinking about when he wrote this?

The guy is just getting frustrated lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by OmoEziokwu: 5:18am On Dec 29, 2012
It's simple. The Nigerian system is not built for encouraging talents like the Zuckerbergs and what have you. I don't get it with these guys who says that some kids in a certain place in Nigeria are millionaires before 16 or 21 or whatever. The question I ask is "how many of them"? When we say 'an enabling environment', it don't mean one that is set just for people to get extraordinarily rich, it means one that is built to help the youth tap into their various creative energies and become in the fullest form, that which they are supposed to be. An environment that will produce not just the Dangotes, Fola Adeolas and the Otedolas, but also the George Gallup (Gallup Polls), Sue Savage-Rumbaugh (scientist) and the Kathy Giustis (research advocate). An society that raises people who will advance it in turn, that is the point being made here and not just wealth wealth wealth! Lord knows how many talents that have been wasted in that mass of land called Nigeria.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by kabaka1: 5:23am On Dec 29, 2012
Frank-C:

I understand how you feel as i appreciate that sucess is not meant for everybody. Some people must be salary earners.
Entrepreneaurs actually thrive on tough and inadequate environment. Tell me how exactly the government aided Mark's sucess in his facebook coy.
Some of you critics are wasting your time and talent. You need to focus what you can do with your time to create wealth, insulting GEJ and Ngozi doesn't just do that for you.
Yes, government provides the environment for entrepreneurs to create wealth by introducing tax regimes and proper business climate but the society need youths with guts to stick out their necks and take business risks. Government doesn't create jobs, they provide the right environment and that environment is presently making many people rich. That is wealth creation.
Presently, we have a favorable business tax regime and lots of waiver which foreigners are taking advantage
of while the Nigerian youth is busy criticizing government. This is a failure on the part of Nigerian youth, not the government. The same way our inability to win medals in olympics is a marked failure of this generation of youths.
Lebanese youths, Chinese youths, Indian and Pakistani youths and very many other nationals are here making money and taking advantage of waivers and Nigerian youths are here insulting the GEJ and carrying files for these foreigners to employ them.

True word!
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by obyrich(m): 5:30am On Dec 29, 2012
youngmonie: Simple point, Nigerias educational system does not allow for reflecticve nd creative thinking, its just more of theoretical teaching
True. Exactly why I will not pursue further degrees in Nigeria especially in Engineering.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by OmoEziokwu: 5:44am On Dec 29, 2012
Frank-C:
The same way our inability to win medals in olympics is a marked failure of this generation of youths.

Nigeria's inability to win laurels at major tournaments in the recent past and up till the present is due to rising lack of national fervor because of all the nonsense that has been going on in the country of late.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Curiouscity(m): 5:57am On Dec 29, 2012
Frank-C:

I understand how you feel as i appreciate that sucess is not meant for everybody. Some people must be salary earners.
Entrepreneaurs actually thrive on tough and inadequate environment. Tell me how exactly the government aided Mark's sucess in his facebook coy.
Some of you critics are wasting your time and talent. You need to focus what you can do with your time to create wealth, insulting GEJ and Ngozi doesn't just do that for you.
Yes, government provides the environment for entrepreneurs to create wealth by introducing tax regimes and proper business climate but the society need youths with guts to stick out their necks and take business risks. Government doesn't create jobs, they provide the right environment and that environment is presently making many people rich. That is wealth creation.
Presently, we have a favorable business tax regime and lots of waiver which foreigners are taking advantage of while the Nigerian youth is busy criticizing government. This is a failure on the part of Nigerian youth, not the government. The same way our inability to win medals in olympics is a marked failure of this generation of youths.
Lebanese youths, Chinese youths, Indian and Pakistani youths and very many other nationals are here making money and taking advantage of waivers and Nigerian youths are here insulting the GEJ and carrying files for these foreigners to employ them.

Guy, Mark was encouraged from high school that hard-work pays. In Nigerian politics and shot-cuts pays. Where Mark n Bill-Gate started, hard work is respected, in Nigeria MONEY is respected. Hence, the mad rush to be get even.
Mark had access to government loan. What loan facility can a school drop-out have in Nigeria?
There is unemployment benefit where Mark, Bill Gate etc lived with while nursing this ideas into fruition. How about power? I am against government hand-outs, but let the government create an enabling environment and see Nigerian youths attend their full potentials. Take off your glasses bro!!

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by obyrich(m): 5:57am On Dec 29, 2012
vivian chinaza:

You really wanna know? Ok, nobody laid any foundation for me. I worked, that was even before I gained admission into the university.

Have you ever heard of GBARAN-UBIE INTEGRATED OIL AND GAS PROJECT? It is the biggest Gas plant project in West Africa if I'm not mistaking and its located in Bayelsa state. I was part of the crew that built it .... The phase one of it and its up and running now and its being run by SPDC. Phase two is kicking off soon too and if God wills it, I'm gonna be part of it too.

Satisfied?
Sorry to sound denigrating, with a school certificate I wonder what kind of Job you could be doing in a construction site that could fetch you big money. Were you part of the technical team? Personal assistant to the white men? How did you get such a juicy job by merit when there were many better qualified graduates? You made the money because there was an enabling environment- a contract was awarded and executed. The type of jobs created during press briefings after the FEC meetings by Labaran Maku, Doyin Okupe and Emeka Wogu my uncle cant get you the millions. Besides you can agree with me that the millions you made is not sustainable. The Op meant creating a sustainable wealth in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by obyrich(m): 6:22am On Dec 29, 2012
soulamanne: Few posts induce a comment from me;this is one!the poster is absolutely spot on!the only point that may be arguable(not totally true)is the grade part of it.not cos I graduated with a 3rd class(and truly ve had a big job slip through my finger cos of it),but cos there are 1001 1st class guys out there without jobs.the basis of this is just that our society is fast collapsing!dreams seldom come true in nigeria.one just has to fit his dreams into the obtainable reality.my father was almost done with child bearing@30 and am sure most of our parents had totally been weaned of their parents at that age.
See where lack of good governance has led us to.it is so sad and disheartening.I remain confident Nigeria is a great country blessed with all form of resources human inclusive.God has just denied us of good leaders...let's pray;God,pls give us good leaders sadFew posts induce a comment from me;this is one!the poster is absolutely spot on!the only point that may be arguable(not totally true)is the grade part of it.not cos I graduated with a 3rd class(and truly ve had a big job slip through my finger cos of it),but cos there are 1001 1st class guys out there without jobs.the basis of this is just that our society is fast collapsing!dreams seldom come true in nigeria.one just has to fit his dreams into the obtainable reality.my father was almost done with child bearing@30 and am sure most of our parents had totally been weaned of their parents at that age.
See where lack of good governance has led us to.it is so sad and disheartening.I remain confident Nigeria is a great country blessed with all form of resources human inclusive.God has just denied us of good leaders...let's pray;God,pls give us good leaders
Good bless you for being realistic. In sane societies, a country like Nigeria suffering from epidemic brain drain should mandate all Universities to retain ALL their first class graduates. If Nigerian professors were creative they would be able to pay them through the research grant they are able to attract. It is only in Nigeria that you tell a first class graduate that you cant afford to pay him simply because he has nobody. That's the exact reason my HOD don't Graduate first class. We behave as if academic excellence is a taboo. Many professors today were trained on government scholarship and thats why they rose so fast. Very soon Nigeria will be importing lecturers or be force to have their faculties populated by mediocres.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 29, 2012
afam4eva: The writer is spot on...

The Nigerian educational does not prepare the youths to be innovative. Rather it prepares them to graduate and apply for a job which is not a way of producing a millionaire at such a young age.
I ENDORSE THIS. ONE CAN NEVER BE A MILLIONAIRE BY DOING 9-5JOBS. ITS ABOUT VISION WHICH SADLY OUR YOUTHS LACK! ALWAYS LOOKING 4 SHORTCUT.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by obyrich(m): 6:26am On Dec 29, 2012
excel123: I recommend www.chosentv.org,www.e-sword.net and www.chosennews.net for you.
Is that where Lazarus Mouka got the idea he used in brain-washing you?
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by bigx(m): 6:29am On Dec 29, 2012
@OP you don't become a millionaire a 29 via the go to school, get good grades and get a "good" job route, have you ever considered youths who started a business? That... Is the millionaire fastlane!
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by rozayx5(m): 6:30am On Dec 29, 2012
been reading this post, i feel like crying when i see majority saying that it is impossible to become a millionaire
am surrounded by the same pessimists here, that sing the same crap being written all over here,

to become a millionaire at 24 in Nigeria, your Business must be online and not linked to politicians, and you must be innovative and not fraudualent

Am 21, and by Gods Grace will be 22 next year, my signature will tell you what i do, to tell you the truth i left school in year2 to focus on my biz, shud have been in 400 level in 2013( Estate Management) but i just discovered that , that is not my area, am more of a business man not a book addict, so waiting 5 years for a paper was too long for me, but am all ready past that mark at age 21.
i learnt what i know now at 18, so its possible,
are you around 21 - 22 send me a PM and i will give you free entrepreneurship advice on my area of specialisation, i also talk to people on my gtalk - my NL username @gmail.com

You can make it, if you want to become a millionaire at 24 dont listen to book addicts and Civil servants, read books that inspire your thinking faculty

to me 24 is 4 years to late, if you could not make it, then pray to God to help your children make it, i prepared my mind early, so i crossed the mark 3 years earlier, the opporunity cost was high, but today am independent at 21 smiley
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Horlawoomey(m): 6:42am On Dec 29, 2012
[quote author=ballabriggs][s][/s]

Rubbish again!!! Strike out India, Pakistan and Lebanon from those your countries, those countries are equally as horrible as your Nigeria. For the Chinese, China has a conscious programme to create jobs for its large population. For example, there is the China Development Bank with a capital base of over $600 billion. The main objective of this bank is to target and finance development projects across China and it is doing this effectively. Again this Bank aids finance for Chinese entities and development projects in foreign countries. For example, there is the China Africa development fund under this bank aimed at finance for development projects in Africa. The China-Africa development fund is one of the sources of finance for the Lekki Free Trade Zone. Now this fund gives them a good means to hold foreign currency reserves, prevent an appreciation of the RMB yuan and thus attract labour intensive FDIs to meet the employment needs of their large population. Now you see where coordination comes into problem solving, it is not a 'bolekaja' approach.

Now on Mark and the US. The US can produce and continues to produce millions of Marks. Did they just drop from the sky? There is an environment, a taken-for-grantedness of certain rituals and routines of leadership behaviour which has been built in by leaders in that country. The truth is every country has millions of talents, however, except there is a conscious programme and accompanying projects to tap these 'Marks', you will only continue to produce "one lucky one'.

I say this because I have worked and I am still working in this environment and I understand how leaders are developed in this environment. From my very Junior days at work, I had been made to undergo various trainings on leadership. I was also made to work as part of specialist teams to find ways of improving processes within our work place which was not part of my function. What this did to me was it developed a questioning attitude in my day-to-day life. This is how leaders are produced in large numbers and not the "lucky one" approach to leadership and entrepreneurial development.

Someone posted this earlier and I picked interest in it. This is what I had to learn and I still have to learn daily on my job. Today there is a 'taken-for-grantedness' of these routines and rituals in me. I see people and I give them that fake smile, it is now a part of me. Ultimately, there is a 'spill-over' of these routines and rituals in the larger society. This is how leaders are produced in large numbers in these societies, it is not 'bolekaja'.

Will you say Jona and Ngozi have done enough to motivate and develop potential leaders and entrepreneurs when they have vamoosed with N5 trillion? [/quo.
. . . . . . . . . . . . Why do you think Nigeria leaders will change overnight and encourage the youths, people have been waiting for that perfect environment for a long time now and the situation still remain the same. SO ITS BETTER IF WE TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORN AND STOP WORRYING OURSELVES ABOUT ANY LEADER. . . . Though am a structural Engineer by training, I still want to have my own mechanized farm.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 29, 2012
Very very interesting thread.
If this had been a thread on EPL or UCL, it would make close to 30 pages in a day but this is making just 3 pages.
The government and youth all have their share of blames. The government mostly, but that shouldn't fully hinder one's dreams or target.
Not all that glitters is gold. You don't have to own a house to be a millionaire, that is another misconception. It isn't compulsory but a society-driven must-do. Hey, don't get me wrong, I don't support not having a house and claiming to be a millionaire but that's the way it goes.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by samfibby(m): 6:50am On Dec 29, 2012
slenderdude: Let me give you a summary of my life, as an undergraduate at the university of ilorin, studied mechanical engrg, i designed and constructed and automated road sweeper using the basic slider crank and geneva stop mechanisms, i got my inspiration from the everyday lawma agents that endagers their lives just to clean our roads,knowing wel that all drivers are not sane.The equipment has its own wheel and is completely fuelless, runs on the residual 62.7% power unused yet supplied to the street lights,it was a master piece, nobody taught i could pull it off, my school presented it to the kwara state govt. which the ministry of works ran a field test on for 2weeks. Thats as good as it gets, it was my innovation, so i decided to get a patent for it and start producing, first for kwara state govt,then to other states, but because i graduated with a 3rd class my sch did not giv me all the support i needed, but to God be the glory, i m in china now,with a collaboratory patent on my design suported by the chinese govt.
\

Another case of misplaced priority by our govt and academic institution. What has a class of degree got to do with invention. This is exactly why we get everything wrong in this country.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by billionairesjg(m): 6:57am On Dec 29, 2012
obyrich: How did you make it?? If you succeeded by dint of hardwork and not by cutting corners and cheating, did you become a millionaire at 24? I know many oil bunkerers and drug peddlers who made it much earlier than 24. If you really want to motivate Nigerian youths tell us exactly what you did. ATIKU and IBB lost their parents at a much younger age than you and by their 28 birthday, they have achieved much more. There are many ways to create wealth open to the Nigerian graduate. I have many friends who run exam malpractice centres and are smiling to the banks with their millions. Is that a legit business? In my days as an undergraduate I was once contracted for 120k to cover a school owned by a Reverend in science subjects in Wassce. Many people are not rich today because their conscience is still alive. You can make millions at 20 and be bankrupt at 40. Ask Mike Tyson and Evander Holy who made $250m and $350m respectively in their boxing careers how much they retired with. All the same congrats if the means is genuine.

Thank you. What I did was to start with an office job for which I worked for three years, during which I saved 800,000 naira since no one would consider giving me a loan without collateral.
Using my capital, I then started out supplying laptops to people who would pay within two to three months... Started slow, but has grown with time.
I am really grateful to God...
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by rozayx5(m): 7:00am On Dec 29, 2012
the day our youths and Graduates stop blaming the Government for being where they are, thats the day the y will start progressing, the Government does not stop you from doing Business it is just your mindset, and as for all those talking about environment, look for a better excuse, cause in the East being a millionaire at 24 is no big news, cause they are creative, its the lazy people that where expecting to become billinaires after graduation that blame the Government,
Schools will always train you to be employed, even Harvard Business school.

the same environment you cant make it, other are making it, so look in wards shocked shocked shocked

explore your talents cool

2 Likes

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 29, 2012
The poster of this piece knows what he's talking about, if anyone of us here was lucky to make it before 25yrs, it doesn't dispute the fact that Nigerian environment isn't favourable to young aspiring entrepreneurs. And to talk of it, it was yahoo-yahoo business that those advertisers had in mind when putting up that advert, cos it was about internet connection speed, and I guess it was from Airtel

2 Likes

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by mu2sa2: 7:20am On Dec 29, 2012
Must one be a millionaire to live a fulfilled life? You are what you think you are: if u think u are a failure because u dont hav tons of money, you are; if u define yourself as successful no matter your situation, you are. Why should we allow somebody else to define our life for us? I am what I am; I own my life; nobody dictates my life for me. All this talk about becoming or not becoming a millionaire is what is driving young people in particular yahoo yahoo, 419 scams, robbery etc. Dont allow urself to be deceived - if u are living a fulfilled life u hav "made it."

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Emmy9ite(m): 7:22am On Dec 29, 2012
outrage: Rub.bish.. So na for yankee you fit be millonaire at such a young age!? Its just one in a trillion. It just happens that, the one is mostly from yankee. Besides, in nigeria you need to know someone to push you deals through, hence the kids of the ruling class have more chances but considering how lazy they are...

Example davido, that boi can't sing for nothing, but he's at the top.
such poor mindset! A very rare specie. Please preserve him in the zoo to avoid extinction!
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 29, 2012
slenderdude: Let me give you a summary of my life, as an undergraduate at the university of ilorin, studied mechanical engrg, i designed and constructed and automated road sweeper using the basic slider crank and geneva stop mechanisms, i got my inspiration from the everyday lawma agents that endagers their lives just to clean our roads,knowing wel that all drivers are not sane.The equipment has its own wheel and is completely fuelless, runs on the residual 62.7% power unused yet supplied to the street lights,it was a master piece, nobody taught i could pull it off, my school presented it to the kwara state govt. which the ministry of works ran a field test on for 2weeks. Thats as good as it gets, it was my innovation, so i decided to get a patent for it and start producing, first for kwara state govt,then to other states, but because i graduated with a 3rd class my sch did not giv me all the support i needed, but to God be the glory, i m in china now,with a collaboratory patent on my design suported by the chinese govt.
Your post really amazed me, so WOWED! You know, as one of you, I and a sibling started sth similar some years back, got no govt backing, gave up cos no alternative to push ahead.

I later tot of starting an oil servicing firm to service the oil firms, I had a joint venture agreement with a friend, a secondary school mate who wasn't even amongst the brilliant students then but has grown to become an oil n gas expert in his own little way. We registered a coy name; tried assembling technicians both in refrigeration, welding, carpentry, etc as our contract workers. All was set, now the contracts to get us going.

Approached companies, got very few responses, and we made some few supplies of diesel, some engr tools, though not much. Wanted registering with Mobil, Chevron, Delta Afrik, etc as vendors, guess what? Lots of requirements- BRAS and DUN NO, which was too difficult to secure. Got d DPR certificate, tax certs, bank certs, etc, but BRAS n DUN stopped us.

Tried going in person, got to Mobil, were told to go online, but cos we had an uncle, a top mgr there, were able to get inside, heard from his secretary that its difficult to get tru without his endorsement or that of any other top management staff n I never wanted him to knw, wanted to struck him by surprise plus I dnt like favouritism cos I preach against it always.

to wrap it up, our environment isn't that favourable to aspiring young entrepreneurs, even though we are still making it out of strain, it doesn't mean the environment is encouraging. If its encouraging most youths would have been employers of labour as we speak, believe me. I know many who wants to be and are trying hard but d environment keep limiting them. Its hard to get contracts in most firms in Nigeria if u dnt have a reliable insider n hw can a young firm succeed without contracts? Without rendering services?

So my brother, ur story is really encouraging, I love people like u. U just inspired me to pick up again my oil servicing project plus a story of my close frnd in d higher inst I spoke with few days ago who now owns an oil servicing coy based in benin n working for CONOIL, NNPC, etc...really like ur story. Would love to know u better if possible for future business deals, God willingsmiley
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by kokogee: 7:32am On Dec 29, 2012
All these ppl saying government administration cannot affect one's success(negatively or positively) should mention just 5 Nigerians who made millions legitimately(without being involved in politics or hussle abroad)at age 20s.

If they cannot, then they are either hypocrites or myopic and not aware of the reality of Nigeria's socio-political and economic problems.

2 Likes

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by mosunade(f): 7:41am On Dec 29, 2012
obyrich: True. Exactly why I will not pursue further degrees in Nigeria especially in Engineering.

Who cares. Mr Obypoor.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by femadesh(m): 8:18am On Dec 29, 2012
The bitter truth is this ''THE HARDEST WAY TO MAKE IT IN NIGERIA IS THROUGH SCHOOLING'' Am sure most of d readers wil dispute this, but thats the truth. Wat u are thought in 9ja universities is hw u wil study hard to get gud grade, get a white collar job and retire broke at d end of d day. There is no enterpreneural skill introduced to schools. I imagine a professor of mechanical engr whose car failed to kick in d morning and couldn't even say what the likely problem is. We nid to wise up and dnt put all ur head in books. As for me, i hate schooling but i like EDUCATION which means ability to educe or bring sometin out of nothing. Wit dis, i believe a millionaire at 27 wil be a reality. Tanx..... Adesina femi(B Tech statistics)
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by tomakint: 8:19am On Dec 29, 2012
In present day Nigerian youths, there are three caste; those who are willing to go to school and learn irrespective of the cost, those willing to go but barred as a result of the cost and those not interested in school even if it's as cheap as Garri! To the first their dreams are high after graduation 4getin dat d system is no longer d way it used 2 b there4 they lead miserable lives after being frustrated by d system! The OP made some valid points though! I think Nigerian youths need 2 step up cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Apply For Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme 2018 / Tony Elumelu Meets With Bill Gates In France. Photos / How To Report Your Financial Institution To The CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.