Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Raising Children - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Raising Children (1081 Views)

Emir Sanusi: Raising Dust In Water, By Jafaar Jafaar / Incumbent Aare Afonja Of Yorubaland Is Raising Aliko Dangotes Son In South Afric / Raising Your Children The Nigerian Way When Married To A Foreigner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Raising Children by Ifunanya1(f): 11:19pm On Feb 17, 2008
In your opinion where is a better place to raise a child US or Nigeria?
Why?
Re: Raising Children by almondjoy(f): 12:55pm On Feb 18, 2008
We have discussed this in the past and a think a had one of ma greatest battles on this topic because it got extremely personal, as usual! Because some people have never learned to respect the notion of "individual's choice and preferences". It must be their way or no way. However, I am not afraid to visit it again. cool

I will definitely choose to raise ma kids in America because they can learn to empower themselves and chances are favorable that they would think for themselves without being indoctrinated with garbage like religion and culture that have not shown any benefits in Nigeria but for the hand of God. cry

They have a chance to survive instead of rotting away in a country that has not learned to prirotize and take care of it's citizens. They also have a chance to learn the true meaning of patroitism and understand that for you to be able to do for your country--you country has to empower you.

Nigeria cannot do these and I cannot mortgage their futures against emptiness. If they decide to become "Virginia Tech" shooters, that is fine with me. I will bury those I can bury and console those I can console. It is a chance I am willing to take! kiss
Re: Raising Children by amsky(m): 5:55pm On Feb 18, 2008
Yes, Almondjoy is right there. For me,i'll choose the most favourable place to raise my children. wherever.Let's leave out sentiments here.

One thing i miss about raising my kids in Nigeria is this'' respect'' thing. It's not the same here. I really dont have much of a problem with it,cos i do my best to teach him.

London is not really the best place to raise kids-if i had the oppurtuinity,i'll move out of London. But Nigeria, I'm not too sure about that. The way Nigeria is now,i'll not be going back there with my children.
Re: Raising Children by Teriba(m): 9:30pm On Feb 18, 2008
There are many people abroad that would love to raise their children in Nigeria, but couldn`t because of money and status. So if money is no object and we don`t have to worry about residential permit, where would I like to raise my children? In the first place, there is nothing to suggest how a child would turn out- regardless of how and where h/she is raised. Obasanjo would have thought that Gbenga had the best upbringing in the world, and Britney Spears was raised in a strictly religious home. What is important is to try to do what is best for the child and leave the rest.
Anyday, anytime Nigeria would be my first choice. Why? The most important reason is the need for all my chilldren to be aware of my african culture. Nothing can be more important in that culture than my language, respect for elders and communal living.
Why? It`s possible for those children to graduate from high school in Nigeria without setting their eyes on drugs and guns, that is not possible in any developed nations, especially America.
Why? When children are exposed to the precariousness that the Third World delivers, by the time they get to their 20s and join the rest of the world they should be able to cope with anything that the West throws at them. So it makes sense to start life where things are relatively difficult.
Why? Since I know that the child that I raise in America would be told one day that h/she is too black and Nigerian to be American, I shouldn`t do things that would make Nigerians tell h/her that h/she is too Amerian to be Nigerian; I want h/her to have a sense of belonging.
Re: Raising Children by tpia6: 2:46pm On Jan 12, 2011
Re: Raising Children by meyri: 2:33am On Jan 13, 2011
It not the place it the parents. If you raised n US or Nigeria by bad parents your childhood is going to suck. But if you have good parent who instill within you good qualities, values and discipline you you have the best childhood. It not the place that makes the child it the parents.
Re: Raising Children by tpia6: 2:58am On Jan 13, 2011
Re: Raising Children by queensmith: 11:02am On Jan 14, 2011
thats a great article tpia, thanx i learnt alot from that

im forgiving you small small wink

@topic

Its true the responsibility lies ALOT (90%) with the parents, african parents like to play the blame game, 'o its cos they are british' 'o its cos hes a boy' 'o its cos she has bad friends'
no, the responsibility remains with you!
the environment will influence a parent even more than it can influence the kids.
and I think there are many benefits to having an 'open minded' environment rather than a 'competitive' one
I wouldn't like my child growing up in Nigeria because I dont like the mindset of most Nigerians, I cant stand the materialism, the arrogance, the pride, the stereotyping and the chauvinism, that said I do like the way which morals are imparted to children and the survival factors a child can get.
I don't like the way the western world idolise their children, i dont like how they encourage them to age quickly, there is no reason a 16yo should be given condoms, i dont want them to teach my 10yo about sex, i think the western world have their priorities misplaced but their hearts are still in the right place. Its a much better environment to raise a child. A child can be free, creative and enjoy life. For me thats the most important thing

(1) (Reply)

. / Yoruba Set To Build Yoruba House In Kano / Sexually Open Mariages In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.