Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port (10596 Views)

LAGOS MEGA RALLY: Jonathan Stalled $1.354bn Lekki Deep Sea Port - Fashola / FEC Approves $1.3b For Construction Of Lekki Deep Sea Port / Lekki Deep Sea Port, Approved. Largest Of Its Kind In Sub-saharan Africa- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by aribisala0(m): 11:23am On Dec 18, 2012
macjive01: good for lagos state, it really baffles me why other litorial states wouldn't think of a seaport.

why is river state building a stupid tram system that will cost so so much to maintain , when the state could have rather invested in a deep seaport project at about same money.

even the big importer in aba and onitsha could pull resources and partner with a one of these states to build one.
Akwaibom has a natural deep water coastal profile.
there is cross river, even delta.

Yes they should do that.Brilliant idea! I am sure Peter Obi and T Orji are working hard on it

1 Like

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Gbawe: 1:38pm On Dec 18, 2012
CFCfan: Fellow N'landers, please let us structure our arguments on the economic viability or otherwise of this proposed Deep-seaport. Yoruba/Igbo state of origin or the definition of a true Lagosian, are not the important issues here.

Thanks.

I really don't know what is wrong with some Nairalanders and their need to turn every single topic into 'them versus us' rants that derail threads.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by brat4222(m): 4:22pm On Dec 18, 2012
Lagos has 2 large sea ports with another one under development. Why didnt the FG support Cross River in making its sea port operate especially to support its TINAPA and Export Processing Projects? Is it that dont want economic power to shift from the west to the east? Or so that the easteners dont import ammunitions unchecked. Its all politics.

Why are we even building more ports to import more foreign goods when we should be building our local industries for export. God help us.

1 Like

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by aribisala0(m): 5:31pm On Dec 18, 2012
Ports are used for imports and exports too. If you develop your industries you will still need ports to export them ,No
The development of this port is a Lagos State Government initiative with a long history ; it was conceived during Tinubu's government. In fact but for the determination of Lagos it will not happen because Obasanjo did everything to frustrate it. Obasanjo was quite happy for Dangote to buy part of the port at Tin Can but refused to allow Lagos state to start its own port.Even now they are insisting on equity without contributing a kobo. Almost all the money is coming from a private investor. There is nothing stopping Cross River State from doing it. The question is ; Why is no private investor interested in doing this outside Lagos. There are a few viable stretches on the Bonny River and in Akwa Ibom which are technically more viable than Calabar which,lets face it,is inland. The trouble with the other two is they would require roads to link them to the South East ;the only viable justification in that part of the country. Who will build those roads.Certainly not a PDP government ??

1 Like

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 18, 2012
@aribisala0: You are spot on with ur analysis. The proposed Ibaka deep seaport will be complemented by the rehabilitation of the Uyo-Aba highway.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Desola(f): 5:54pm On Dec 18, 2012
aribisala0: Ports are used for imports and exports too. If you develop your industries you will still need ports to export them ,No
The development of this port is a Lagos State Government initiative with a long history ; it was conceived during Tinubu's government. In fact but for the determination of Lagos it will not happen because Obasanjo did everything to frustrate it. Obasanjo was quite happy for Dangote to buy part of the port at Tin Can but refused to allow Lagos state to start its own port.Even now they are insisting on equity without contributing a kobo. Almost all the money is coming from a private investor. There is nothing stopping Cross River State from doing it. The question is ; Why is no private investor interested in doing this outside Lagos. There are a few viable stretches on the Bonny River and in Akwa Ibom which are technically more viable than Calabar which,lets face it,is inland. The trouble with the other two is they would require roads to link them to the South East ;the only viable justification in that part of the country. Who will build those roads.Certainly not a PDP government ??

why do you think Obasanjo is adamant in truncating the growth in the western region?

I am very curious about this and would like someone with some insight to shed more light.

Can you give it a stab, Aribisala?
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
Waoooooo...too many hidden posts. Guess the e-warlords and enemies of progress swooped on the thread.

BTW.....a good development, always refreshing reading projects like this about Nigeria.

Kudos to all the initiators.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by aribisala0(m): 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
CFCfan: @aribisala0: You are spot on with ur analysis. The proposed Ibaka deep seaport will be complemented by the rehabilitation of the Uyo-Aba highway.
Well Akwa Ibom has the money ,whether they have the vision remains to be seen but the potential of that part of the country is immense. the main problem with politicians in Nigeria is they do not know how to work with people who do not kowtow obsequiously . Akpabio has been praised widely but he needs to educate his people and raise their consciousness so that they stop doing boy-boy about. A seaport in AK will earn more than Oil revenue any day if it is backed up by the right road network to The SE and possibly NE even .Hopefully we can have peace with Cameroon and start economic integration on that front. With optimism and able leadership Nigeria should not be poor.

1 Like

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by aribisala0(m): 6:05pm On Dec 18, 2012
Desola:

why do you think Obasanjo is adamant in truncating the growth in the western region?

I am very curious about this and would like someone with some insight to shed more light.

Can you give it a stab, Aribisala?
I don't think that is fair to Obasanjo but I guess he is one of those people who like to be deified. So when he was there it was -Baba this Baba that. Tinubu was not willing to kiss his hairy Egba butt and so we all saw what happened - Withholding allocation etc.

B'o le ya ko ya
B'o le d'ogun ko d'ogun

captures the nihilistic instincts of the man if the glory is not his. So he would have no problem with development if he takes credit. Unfortunately he was of limited vision and had few original ideas of his own.

4 Likes

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by babapupa: 6:08pm On Dec 18, 2012
brat4222: Lagos has 2 large sea ports with another one under development. Why didnt the FG support Cross River in making its sea port operate especially to support its TINAPA and Export Processing Projects? Is it that dont want economic power to shift from the west to the east? Or so that the easteners dont import ammunitions unchecked. Its all politics.

Why are we even building more ports to import more foreign goods when we should be building our local industries for export. God help us.

it's up to the governors, elected and appointed leaders in the region to initiate and fight for their own developments, they'll keep lagging behind if they don't get proactive and come up with visions and ideas. Waiting for the federal government to think and do things for you without putting up your own ideas and fight to get your ideas actualized gets you no where.

2 Likes

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by babapupa: 6:13pm On Dec 18, 2012
Moderator, get more proactive instead of your usual late knee jerk reactions.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 18, 2012
@aribisala0: Absolutely, the only way that Akwa Ibom's port will be viable would be if the major South eastern cities are connected to it by road/ rail (preferably 'medium' speed rail cool).

On Obasanjo's purported opposition to South Western economic progress, I think he didn't want a State governor to rubbish the efforts of d FG's reforms at the Apapa and Tin Can Island ports.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by aribisala0(m): 6:27pm On Dec 18, 2012
CFCfan: @aribisala0: Absolutely, the only way that Akwa Ibom's port will be viable would be if the major South eastern cities are connected to it by road/ rail (preferably 'medium' speed rail cool).

On Obasanjo's purported opposition to South Western economic progress, I think he didn't want a State governor to rubbish the efforts of d FG's reforms at the Apapa and Tin Can Island ports.
I am confused What reforms and how could a state governor rubbish them. I really do not follow that at all??
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 18, 2012
aribisala0: I don't think that is fair to Obasanjo but I guess he is one of those people who like to be deified. So when he was there it was -Baba this Baba that. Tinubu was not willing to kiss his hairy Egba butt and so we all saw what happened - Withholding allocation etc.

B'o le ya ko ya
B'o le d'ogun ko d'ogun

captures the nihilistic instincts of the man if the glory is not his. So he would have no problem with development if he takes credit. Unfortunately he was of limited vision and had few original ideas of his own.

I agree with your take on that OBJ submission...in as much as am a fanatical supporter of Baba...some of his actions were based strictly on ego and party politics sentiment which were inimical to the development of the south West region.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Afam4eva(m): 7:03pm On Dec 18, 2012
ilugunboy:

I agree with your take on that OBJ submission...in as much as am a fanatical supporter of Baba...some of his actions were based strictly on ego and party politics sentiment which were inimical to the development of the south West region.
It could be ego, party affiliation or simply non-ethnic affiliation.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
afam4eva:
It could be ego, party affiliation or simply non-ethnic affiliation.

Well ....Afam whatever it is not good for the overall development of Nigeria.

Someone like Buhari still suffers for the impression that the people of Lagos still have about him on the issue of Jakande's light rail project.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by ak47mann(m): 7:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
too many hidden comments cool
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 18, 2012
aribisala0:
I am confused What reforms and how could a state governor rubbish them. I really do not follow that at all??

I meant that OBJ didn't want competition for the 2 FG-owned ports.
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by aribisala0(m): 8:21pm On Dec 18, 2012
CFCfan:

I meant that OBJ didn't want competition for the 2 FG-owned ports.
Well, "competition" ? Hmm. that is quite different from reforms but I am not sure about that point either.One talks of competition when business is thin.There is more than enough business for A port with 10 times the existing capacity at TinCan/Apapa which is congested. Secondly if competition was a concern why concession the port and sell some of it ? hardly the action of one concerned about competition. Finally the FG could have insisted as is happening at Lekki to have some equity and so be a joint owner. President Obasanjo was not capable of working with his "opponents" for the common good. Ultimately the ports will be more profitable to government if they are privately run just like PHCN
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by summmerjojo: 1:48am On Dec 19, 2012
If you already have a type of Cheap Wedding Dresses in mind, you can search the selection by type of dress, looking specifically at the gowns that fit the parameters you already had in mind. You can shop by silhouette (A-line, empire waist, ball gown, sheath, princess or mermaid), by hemline (tea-length, ankle-length, floor-length, knee-length, or mini) Cheap Evening Gowns, by type of train (court train, chapel train, cathedral train, and others), by style (classic, chic modern, and others), by fabric type (satin, taffeta, chiffon, organza, tulle, and others), or by color-because even a bride isn't "required" to wear white if she chooses not to.

Sheath/ Column One Shoulder Sleeveless Natural Waist Knee Length Chiffon Bridesmaid Gown
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by babapupa: 2:27am On Dec 19, 2012
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by babapupa: 2:42am On Dec 19, 2012
Regarding this project, I think OBJ is getting a bad rap because he not only supported this project, he was present during the ground breaking ceremony.

1 Like

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Ozonna(m): 6:01am On Dec 19, 2012
CFCfan: @aribisala0: You are spot on with ur analysis. The proposed Ibaka deep seaport will be complemented by the rehabilitation of the Uyo-Aba highway.

Has work started @ the Ibaka deep seaport?
Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 19, 2012
Ozonna:

Has work started @ the Ibaka deep seaport?

Yes, it has. Its 1st phase is scheduled to be completed by 2015.

1 Like

Re: FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port by aribisala0(m): 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2022
@macjive01

A deep seaport is under construction in Ibaka, Akwa Ibom. The 1st phase of d project is expected to be competed by 2015.
Its expected to serve some parts of the South-south and the entire South-east.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NCFront: We Are Working To Dislodge APC & PDP In 2023 — Third Force Coalition / Bandits Attack Zamfara Community For Defaulting In Levy Payment / Enugu State Broadcasting Service Gutted By Fire (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.