Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here (7244 Views)

Psychology Graduates Lets Meet Here / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by Raphtop(m): 7:54pm On Dec 17, 2012
Helo nairalanders, please i was just wondering if we have people in the house who studied geography in school like myself.
You can lets meet here to discuss what it has been like in the labor market, how you have been managing your life after service and many more.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by david6(m): 10:06am On Jan 01, 2013
Tanx a lot for dis thread...am a geography student tho..in futminna...wich skul did u finish frm and hw has it been after skul...
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by PaulJohn1: 3:02pm On Jan 01, 2013
Not a geographer but can't do without geography.
Geography as a course was a great determinant that paved way for me to study architecture.
Till you stop working as an architect you'll always borrow some vital things/theories from geography.
From map reading to slope determinant. The study of the sun route, wind direction, etc, that is going to have effect on your design before it can be effective and functional.

Personally, I love geography more the way I should.

So it(geography) is in me.
We're in together.

1 Like

Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by legendsilver(m): 2:45pm On Jul 27, 2013
It seems to me that we have few people who studied Geography here on NL.
Well I am a Geographer and am very proud of the discipline.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by chypotenti(m): 12:36am On Jul 28, 2013
Am a Geographer, graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria....have not been able to secure a job for almost a year nw
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by legendsilver(m): 9:55am On Jul 28, 2013
chypotenti: Am a Geographer, graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria....have not been able to secure a job for almost a year nw
av u gone 4 any interview?
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by Raphtop(m): 6:59am On Jul 31, 2013
Fellow Geographers, sorry i have been away from this thread for some time. I graduated from the university of ilorin. It has not been easy my dear brothers and sisters, i must confess. Its almost a year now after NYSC and nothing has come forth. I know it takes God to be favoured but with a certificate in Geography, it is not so easy securing a job in this our country.
You can imaging being taken to someone to help you. The person asks "what is you qualification?" and you say something like " i have Bsc in Geography". Now the next thing you hear is Geography? Where do those ones work? You know? Things like that like that.
It has really not been easy at all... Anyways that has been my experience sha... It may not be the same on your side. You can share your own and lets rob minds.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by Raphtop(m): 7:05am On Jul 31, 2013
legendsilver: It seems to me that we have few people who studied Geography here on NL.
i think we actually have many of them in the house. Why they are silent is what i don't seem to get
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by proclivity: 10:46am On Aug 01, 2013
one soft Geographer right here! present sirs
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by Adeolaw007: 2:04pm On Aug 02, 2013
Morning Nairalanders,

Great to have a thread by us and for us. I look forward to share and learn from you guys. I finished from OAU.

The major theme so far seems to be "Jobsearch". I will like to share my knowledge on this;

1. With what i have read so far, we all seem (assumption)to be limiting ourselves to Geography. We are all smart and i am sure can succeed in any other field we choose. I am sure most of us didnt want Geography when we finished secondary school.
There are other fields you can branch out too. I will advice we all get "TECH" acquinted. Think of the changes technology has made in the world in the past 10 years alone. New Job openings tends to be technology oriented.
Lets not just wait at home and hope, lets add to our knowledge and technology is one place to start.

2. Lets search right, Job search is not easy. But we can make it easier for ourselves if we search smart. A good CV, top-notch interviews skills, online presence, good online source for job openings (i saw one yesterday, Insidify.com its different than the others, its like google for Jobs, they have all the Jobs online so you don't miss out on any posted Job, you guys should join)

3. Lets tell our friends that we are Job hunting. Its key they know so that when they see an available Job, they quickly alert us.

I will share more later. Thanks for the thread and i wish us Luck. Again, Prayer is key and search Smart.

3 Likes

Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by glowithdan(m): 7:17pm On Aug 02, 2013
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by legendsilver(m): 1:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
More experience pls, cus we purely environmental managers n job shouldn't b our problem
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by wharlz(m): 4:26pm On Sep 05, 2013
whats happinin in this tread. Pls where are the geographers. The federal civil service job is opened to us, pls, lets make the most of it. Apply for the post of a scientific officer in d mintr of envirmt.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by PalmTree(m): 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2013
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is widely used across
several fields ranging from Telecomms to Oil and Gas
Industry. Which is why Greenland Consult Ltd (Geo-spatial
and Remote Sensing experts) have decided to bring this
technology closer to our future leaders. Acquire GIS skills
today and provide your self with an advantage over other job
seekers!
If you are currently studying Geography, Urban and regional
planning, Geology, Agricultural sciences, Civil engineering,
Information technology, Estate management, Surveying,
Agric Extension, Public health science and Marketing, we
have customized training classes for all the above listed
disciplines. For hands-on technical training in GIS and
Remote Sensing applications, you can send a mail to
greenlandconsult89@gmail.com or tomimgis@gmail.com.
Phone: 08061185492
We also offer advanced training sessions on Crime mapping
analysis, Land information systems, Forest and natural
resource management, Environmental impact assessment
and Environmental Modelling. Thanks.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by bensky: 8:57pm On Oct 08, 2013
Fellow geographers nice thread. I have a BSC in geography and Environmental management and a masters in Geographic information systems . i have been working for 5 years now but totally out of my field. My advise to fellow geographers is to be willing to start from somewhere and i tell you once you are good at whatever kind of job you are doing, people will recommend you. since 2006 i finished school i have not lacked a job. good luck to all of you.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by IjeomaNelson(f): 9:06pm On Oct 08, 2013
Hi fellow geographers, i hold a Bsc in geography. I'l b concluding service in 2days. Pls any info on any vacancy? Tnx.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by omojesu202(m): 5:00pm On Jan 05, 2016
bensky:
Fellow geographers nice thread. I have a BSC in geography and Environmental management and a masters in Geographic information systems . i have been working for 5 years now but totally out of my field. My advise to fellow geographers is to be willing to start from somewhere and i tell you once you are good at whatever kind of job you are doing, people will recommend you. since 2006 i finished school i have not lacked a job. good luck to all of you.
Raphtop:
Helo nairalanders, please i was just wondering if we have people in the house who studied geography in school like myself.
You can lets meet here to discuss what it has been like in the labor market, how you have been managing your life after service and many more.
IjeomaNelson:
Hi fellow geographers, i hold a Bsc in geography. I'l b concluding service in 2days. Pls any info on any vacancy? Tnx.
Raphtop:

rise up, share your experience n help us...
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by omojesu202(m): 5:01pm On Jan 05, 2016
glowithdan:
legendsilver:
More experience pls, cus we purely environmental managers n job shouldn't b our problem
wharlz:
whats happinin in this tread. Pls where are the geographers. The federal civil service job is opened to us, pls, lets make the most of it. Apply for the post of a scientific officer in d mintr of envirmt.
david6:
Tanx a lot for dis thread...am a geography student tho..in futminna...wich skul did u finish frm and hw has it been after skul...
PalmTree:
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is widely used across
several fields ranging from Telecomms to Oil and Gas
Industry. Which is why Greenland Consult Ltd (Geo-spatial
and Remote Sensing experts) have decided to bring this
technology closer to our future leaders. Acquire GIS skills
today and provide your self with an advantage over other job
seekers!
If you are currently studying Geography, Urban and regional
planning, Geology, Agricultural sciences, Civil engineering,
Information technology, Estate management, Surveying,
Agric Extension, Public health science and Marketing, we
have customized training classes for all the above listed
disciplines. For hands-on technical training in GIS and
Remote Sensing applications, you can send a mail to
greenlandconsult89@gmail.com or tomimgis@gmail.com.
Phone: 08061185492
We also offer advanced training sessions on Crime mapping
analysis, Land information systems, Forest and natural
resource management, Environmental impact assessment
and Environmental Modelling. Thanks.
david6:
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by omojesu202(m): 5:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
Raphtop:

i think we actually have many of them in the house. Why they are silent is what i don't seem to get
proclivity:
one soft Geographer right here! present sirs
legendsilver:
Adeolaw007:
Morning Nairalanders,
Great to have a thread by us and for us. I look forward to share and learn from you guys. I finished from OAU.
The major theme so far seems to be "Jobsearch". I will like to share my knowledge on this;
1. With what i have read so far, we all seem (assumption)to be limiting ourselves to Geography. We are all smart and i am sure can succeed in any other field we choose. I am sure most of us didnt want Geography when we finished secondary school.
There are other fields you can branch out too. I will advice we all get "TECH" acquinted. Think of the changes technology has made in the world in the past 10 years alone. New Job openings tends to be technology oriented.
Lets not just wait at home and hope, lets add to our knowledge and technology is one place to start.
2. Lets search right, Job search is not easy. But we can make it easier for ourselves if we search smart. A good CV, top-notch interviews skills, online presence, good online source for job openings (i saw one yesterday, Insidify.com its different than the others, its like google for Jobs, they have all the Jobs online so you don't miss out on any posted Job, you guys should join)
3. Lets tell our friends that we are Job hunting. Its key they know so that when they see an available Job, they quickly alert us.
I will share more later. Thanks for the thread and i wish us Luck. Again, Prayer is key and search Smart.
legendsilver:

rise up, share your experience n help us..
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by omojesu202(m): 5:04pm On Jan 05, 2016
I'm a geographer but I don't have anything doing now? fellow geographers how are u surviving ?
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by omojesu202(m): 5:06pm On Jan 05, 2016
chypotenti:
Am a Geographer, graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria....have not been able to secure a job for almost a year nw

hello, what are u doing now?
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by sheunsheun(m): 12:01am On Jul 13, 2016
Raphtop:
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by sheunsheun(m): 12:01am On Jul 13, 2016
david6:
PaulJohn1:
Not a geographer but can't do without geography.
Geography as a course was a great determinant that paved way for me to study architecture.
Till you stop working as an architect you'll always borrow some vital things/theories from geography.
From map reading to slope determinant. The study of the sun route, wind direction, etc, that is going to have effect on your design before it can be effective and functional.

Personally, I love geography more the way I should.

So it(geography) is in me.
We're in together.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by Chydobe: 10:34am On Oct 12, 2017
The University of Arizona's MS-GIST (Masters of Science in GIS Technology) Program is pleased to accept applications form suitably qualified candidates for the “Meet Arizona Community Needs Scholarships”. The Meet Arizona Community Needs Scholarships 2018 is open to all incoming students who are willing to apply for the graduate MS-GIST program.

Meet Arizona Community Needs Scholarships is intended for students who are willing to help meet the needs of the State of Arizona's information-based economy workforce and community engagement upon graduation.

Click on link below to apply

http://www.newzified.com/apply-for-2018-meet-arizona-community-needs-scholarships/
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by dt4omoh(f): 12:18pm On Oct 12, 2017
Adeolaw007:
Morning Nairalanders,

What course in "TECH" pls
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by kaylardz(m): 7:06am On Jun 19, 2022
Raphtop:
Fellow Geographers, sorry i have been away from this thread for some time. I graduated from the university of ilorin. It has not been easy my dear brothers and sisters, i must confess. Its almost a year now after NYSC and nothing has come forth. I know it takes God to be favoured but with a certificate in Geography, it is not so easy securing a job in this our country.
You can imaging being taken to someone to help you. The person asks "what is you qualification?" and you say something like " i have Bsc in Geography". Now the next thing you hear is Geography? Where do those ones work? You know? Things like that like that.
It has really not been easy at all... Anyways that has been my experience sha... It may not be the same on your side. You can share your own and lets rob minds.

I've just found myself in your shoe, pls how did you go about job search? What is your advice for me?
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by PalmTree(m): 2:32pm On Jun 19, 2022
kaylardz:

I've just found myself in your shoe, pls how did you go about job search? What is your advice for me?

Hello Kay,

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Geography about 12 years ago and below are some tips that might help you.

1. Be Open-minded: Don't limit yourself to what you studied in school. If you graduated with stellar grades, you may consider applying to the Big4 or any of the other companies that provide Graduate Trainee programs. Should you get into one of such programs, you will be able to earn while you learn the rudiments of corporate work.

2. If you don't get into a graduate trainee program, consider learning a tech/digital skill. The fact that you studied Geography doesn't mean you must make a career out of it. The idea of a bachelors degree is for you to be able to apply it into practical economic activities. Like I mentioned earlier, I studied Geography up to MSc. level but I currently work in the Software-as-a-Service space. There are hundreds of people in the banks, Big4 and other consulting firms that didn't study anything related to Accounting or Finance.

3. If you can't learn a tech/digital skill but you have financial support, you may want to consider a Masters program abroad. Check out universities in Germany and Sweden for cheaper options or the US and UK if you'll like to use that opportunity to relocate.

Finally, I didn't graduate with a stellar grade and I couldn't get into a graduate trainee program. I supported myself by providing GIS services and consulting for students on their Masters dissertation or PhD thesis between 2012-15. Mid 2015 I got a job as a GIS analyst and then pivoted to software sales in 2016. I know it's tough but it's doable.

Happy to provide any other guidance where required.

Cheers and good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by kaylardz(m): 6:35am On Jun 21, 2022
PalmTree:

Hello Kay,

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Geography about 12 years ago and below are some tips that might help you.

1. Be Open-minded: Don't limit yourself to what you studied in school. If you graduated with stellar grades, you may consider applying to the Big4 or any of the other companies that provides Graduate Trainee programs. Should you get into one of such programs, you will be able to earn while you learn the rudiments of corporate work.

2. If you don't get into a graduate trainee program, consider learning a tech/digital skill. The fact that you studied Geography doesn't mean you must make a career out of it. The idea of a bachelors degree is for you to be able to apply it into practical economic activities. Like I mentioned earlier, I studied Geography up to MSc. level but I currently work in the Software-as-a-Service space. There are hundreds of people in the banks, Big4 and other consulting firms that didn't study anything related to Accounting or Finance.

3. If you can't learn a tech/digital skill but you have financial support, you may want to consider a Masters program abroad. Check out universities in Germany and Sweden for cheaper options or the US and UK if you'll like to use that opportunity to relocate.

Finally, I didn't graduate with a stellar grade and I couldn't get into a graduate trainee program. I supported myself by providing GIS services and consulting for students on their Masters dissertation or PhD thesis between 2012-15. Mid 2015 I got a job as a GIS analyst and then pivoted to software sales in 2016. I know it's tough but it's doable.

Happy to provide any other guidance where required.

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks sir, I so much appreciate this.
I graduated with a good grade (strong 2:1), but I couldn't get any graduate trainee job due to age problem as I finished service at 27. I'm no longer comfortable being a private school teacher as I think I'm wasting away my youth. Presently I'm considering going back to school.

The issue I'm having now is that with my age and lack of working experience, I don't know wether to go for Msc or MBA.

I don't have the financial strength to go for Msc abroad and as regard digital skill, i want you to recommend a profitable one that I can easily understand within the shortest period of time. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by PalmTree(m): 12:15pm On Jun 23, 2022
kaylardz:

Thanks sir, I so much appreciate this.
I graduated with a good grade (strong 2:1), but I couldn't get any graduate trainee job due to age problem as I finished service at 27. I'm no longer comfortable being a private school teacher as I think I'm wasting away my youth. Presently I'm considering going back to school.

The issue I'm having now is that with my age and lack of working experience, I don't know wether to go for Msc or MBA.

I don't have the financial strength to go for Msc abroad and as regard digital skill, i want you to recommend a profitable one that I can easily understand within the shortest period of time. Thanks

Consider product management. Check out Utiva or Product Dive. They have very effective programs designed to help you launch into the tech space.
Re: Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here by Apholaby(m): 11:58pm On Aug 09, 2023
Hello fellow geographers,

I love this thread. Even though it is old, it is very useful. Let's keep the fire burning.

(1) (Reply)

Stanbic-IBTC Bank On A Sacking Spree! / 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja / Who Has Served Or Worked With FAME Foundation Abuja?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.