Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story (9156 Views)

Ex-minister “threatens” Nigerian Journalist Over Report / 2015: Gej Should Drop Sambo For Chime / Policemen Molest Female Journalist Over Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 8:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

I never said they need to source it from the govt, you're the one adding that. Ok... if you say so

My point still remains, if journalist wanna obtain information, go about it the right way. Don't go about it backdoor and then claim innocence "doing legitimate work" when someone comes knocking at your door.

And what is the right way in ur opinion if not from the govt that should know all. From ur argument, it seems as if anything except from the govt itself is backdoor. and by the way, what law stops journalists from securing their info from backdoors especially if such infos are true?
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 8:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
fistonme: Fidel nor Chime doesn't add anything to my life, but to me, Chime is more of national symbol of importance than Fidel is because by virtue of being a Nigerian.

Do you believe all humans are equal and should be treated as such. Maybe you are a proponent of the Animal farm premise- All animal are equal but some are more equal than others. You appear to be racially cum ethnocentrically personified. Perhaps you reside in the states or in diaspora, please do youself a favour dont complain of racial profiling if treated as such.

Dude, I just explained to you why Chime is of more importance to me than Fidel. I have no direct relationship with Fidel and his country as opposed to Nigeria. I'm Nigerian, and Nigerian matters affects me, positively or negatively. This had no racial undertone to it... Please don't take it otherwise. grin grin grin grin
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 8:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
adconline:

You have failed to link the Journalist with any mention of Chime's death . There u go again typing without researching or reasoning. The onus is on you to substantiate your claim. Maybe you are one of the said thugs...

Journalists always protect their sources.. Some exception might apply in some national security and treasonable cases and THIS CASE does not fall under any of these.

I agree with this completely
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
And what is the right way in ur opinion if not from the govt that should know all. From ur argument, it seems as if anything except from the govt itself is backdoor. and by the way, what law stops journalists from securing their info from backdoors especially if such infos are true?

Right way meaning if the govt doesn't give you information, you can obtain it the legal way... Ok, legal experts, explain. I mean, if the average citizens is entitled by law to know information about their govt, then the state courts will side with the people under FREEDOM OF INFORMATION.. grin grin grin

BTW, when I mean backdoor, I mean security leaks... nothing else.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
emmatok: @MANNY4LIFE,

A lot things are accepted in journalism, like reporting unconfirmed new, getting info from anonymous sources.
What those guy did was wrong,
The state can sue if they are wronged.
But harassment is bad.

Exactly!

I haven't said things aren't accepted or not, even anonymous sources included. No doubt. However, my point is, if you gonna align yourself through anonymous sources who are sworn by secrecy to keep state or nations secrets, when the heat is on, do you also wanna claim innocence?
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Right way meaning if the govt doesn't give you information, you can obtain it the legal way... Ok, legal experts, explain. I mean, if the average citizens is entitled by law to know information about their govt, then the state courts will side with the people under FREEDOM OF INFORMATION.. grin grin grin

BTW, when I mean backdoor, I mean security leaks... nothing else.

I think the onus is on the government to charge any erring journalist to court if they are convinced and can prove that he got his info illegally and not bullying and harassing such citizens. Even if citizens behave irresponsible (in this case, not so), why should govt also degenerate into such in a democratic setting?

There is no security risk has regards chime's health. Please lets stop this. he is human afterall
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 8:45pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Exactly!

I haven't said things aren't accepted or not, even anonymous sources included. No doubt. However, my point is, if you gonna align yourself through anonymous sources who are sworn by secrecy to keep state or nations secrets, when the heat is on, do you also wanna claim innocence?

When u say heat, do u mean illegalities to fight such journalists that goes about doing their legitimate legal duties?
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 8:48pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

I think the onus is on the government to charge any erring journalist to court if they are convinced and can prove that he got his info illegally and not bullying and harassing such citizens. Even if citizens behave irresponsible (in this case, not so), why should govt also degenerate into such in a democratic setting?

There is no security risk has regards chime's health. Please lets stop this. he is human afterall

You're right, I'll agree with you. It's for the govt to charge erring journalist, after all, like the FBI says, "PIRACY IS A VICTIMLESS CRIME", so is this is something the govt should handle through courts. However, how else can the govt get proof without confiscating his property?

Although in my view though, I do not see this as harassing, though I feel bad for him, nevertheless, it comes as part of the job. I feel bad for him though...
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 8:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

When u say heat, do u mean illegalities to fight such journalists that goes about doing their legitimate legal duties?

What's illegal? The confiscation of property or the stopping or blocking of his car, or the entry into his house or vigil they kep in his place? How do you mean "illegality" ?

When I speak of "heat", I mean the problems that follow suit. Some are arrested, some have their properties confiscated, some are barred, depending on the story, some even loose their license, some are even fired. Depending on how u look at it, that's how I define heat.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 8:53pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

You're right, I'll agree with you. It's for the govt to charge erring journalist, after all, like the FBI says, "PIRACY IS A VICTIMLESS CRIME", so is this is something the govt should handle through courts. However, how else can the govt get proof without confiscating his property?

Although in my view though, I do not see this as harassing, though I feel bad for him, nevertheless, it comes as part of the job. I feel bad for him though...

U just dont go to "innocent" homes and start seizing properties. there is a procedure for that. Was this followed?
U feel bad for him but u dont think he was harrassed, then why do u feel bad?
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 8:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

U just dont go to "innocent" homes and start seizing properties. there is a procedure for that. Was this followed?
U feel bad for him but u dont think he was harrassed, then why do u feel bad?

You term him as innocent right? Bros, we've been through this before. Ok, YES, he's innocent.

How do you know protocols weren't followed? Are you part of the SSS team to know if or not an order was signed?

I feel bad for him because he felt threatened by the men, not the perceived harassment he claims, at least I read in the story.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 8:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

What's illegal?

The confiscation of property

Without any legal backing, yes it is illegal.

or the stopping or blocking of his car,

this isnt out of place however it was wrong for the agents not to have properly identified themselves when asked

or the entry into his house or vigil they kep in his place?

On what grounds? Any legal order? these goons didnt eben identify themselves properly

How do you mean "illegality" ?

When I speak of "heat", I mean the problems that follow suit. Some are arrested, some have their properties confiscated, some are barred, depending on the story, some even loose their license, some are even fired. Depending on how u look at it, that's how I define heat.

In this case, the heat melted on him was the illegal harassment which u felt sorry for earlier.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by taharqa: 9:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
fistonme:

yes accepted as an "unconfirmed" report. If a neighbour reads it in the daily and he happens to be sitting with my dad at the time maybe discussing the state of the nation. I guess you already know what would be his reaction(a big laugh as opposed to when he is far of). The reason being that he has confirmed and know it is to the contrary. Same thing goes when a rational reader reads a story tagged "unconfirmed". It all boils down to the fact that-i am responsible for 'what i say' and not 'what you deduce from what i say'.

And if the said neigbour was not even in town then Or if it was your kid Sister that heard such 'unconfirmed' just like that while chatting with fiends on 'togo' Or what if it was your aged grandmother who is suffering from ig blood pressure/Hypetension that heard the news....

Do you know why in saner climes, journalists or even Govt agencies cant name a Dead person (confirmed) if their immediate family members have not been intimated already? Do you know why the State Dept and Media houses in the US refused to name 2 of 4 persons killed in the Bengazi Embassy attack for about a day till they intimated their family members Or why CNN was taken to the 'cleaners' for divulging personal details from the diary of the slain ambassador even after he had been named?.....

Those are SANER climes..Punch should be grateful that they operate in Nigeria, else their azz would have since been served with a lawsuit so BIG they would even need to borrow money to pay off..
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
Without any legal backing, yes it is illegal.

Again, me I'm no expert on Nigerian law, so I'll stick to what I know. Neither you nor I know whether they showed him an judge order, or a search/seize warrant. We're just going by what he claimed. As for illegality, I guess it differs from country to country and case by case.

this isnt out of place however it was wrong for the agents not to have properly identified themselves when asked

Technically, they're not obligated to show him their ID's. No agent will show you their ID card, but their enforcement badge. He claimed, at 11pm at night, he wants to see their ID, who does that. Again, neither you nor I know if they fully identified themselves as "State Security Service" with an badge...we're just going by what he said.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by adconline(m): 9:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Perhaps, you're part of the classification committee who classifies security matters to know what's of national security or not. Bottom line, security information is still what it is. There was a reason why it's "classified" either confidential, secret or top secret. The ONLY ONE THING I KNOW is to have access to either compartment, you must have "need to know" basis. Whether national security or not, sensitive information is what it is.

Challenging the veracity of my claim requires you to come up with a better verifiable claim, but u have failed to do so. Rebutting a claim with typical Naija response" it's a lie or I dont believe". Are u member of the classification committee? 1.Using Yar'dua's case as a precedent, journalists were not held hostage for publishing true facts. 2: Governor's health is not on exclusive list of FG and cannot be a classified Fed info or treasonable.3: There are libel laws in our book to protect Mr. Chime if the journalist has published damaging and untrue stories about him.
4. Chime should have done what Ajimobi did when some newspapers published that his wife had been detained by London Met. Police for money laundry.. He sued for N1 billion in damages.
5. Why can't you guys bring out the governor to come and speak to his people?

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by getukudo(m): 9:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem: Foolish and incompetent SSS.
It would have been better to devote that time spent in the journalist's house to search for the marked notes given to facrook which they still havent seen till date.

You have come again with your mumu comments! How do you know they were SSS officials? Olodo!
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by emmatok(m): 9:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Exactly!

Their are laws and protocols protecting Journalist.

Chime issue is not special, if the state comes out with the truth all these won't happen.
But turning the heat on journalist is wrong.Why can't those guys raid PUNCH OFFICE it was punch that publish the news.

That is way most of our Journalist give their news to SAHARA REPORTERS.
Remember YARADUA regime.

1 Like

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

You term him as innocent right? Bros, we've been through this before. Ok, YES, he's innocent.

Of cos he is innocent to the best of our knowledge pending any further explanation from the SSS. Before this incident, he is noted for the truth and after this incident he is still a free man still doing what he knows what to do best. he is not being charged for anything till date.

How do you know protocols weren't followed? Are you part of the SSS team to know if or not an order was signed?

Then the procedure itself has to be condemned by all like i have been stating. In a democratic setting, its such shouldnt be allowed.

I feel bad for him because he felt threatened by the men, not the perceived harassment he claims, at least I read in the story.

he was threatend but not harrassed if am to get u right. Honestly, that doesnt make sense to me.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
getukudo:

You have come again with your mumu comments! How do you know they were SSS officials? Olodo!

Fool, i have responded to this earlier. Go back and read.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 9:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
adconline:

Challenging the veracity of my claim requires you to come up with a better verifiable claim, but u have failed to do so. Rebutting a claim with typical Naija response" it's a lie or I dont believe". Are u member of the classification committee? 1.Using Yar'dua's case as a precedent, journalists were not held hostage for publishing true facts. 2: Governor's health is not on exclusive list of FG and cannot be a classified Fed info or treasonable.3: There are libel laws in our book to protect Mr. Chime if the journalist has published damaging and untrue stories about him.
4. Chime should have done what Ajimobi did when some newspapers published that his wife had been detained by London Met. Police for money laundry.. He sued for N1 billion in damages.
5. Why can't you guys bring out the governor to come and speak to his people?

Seriously dude, you're somewhat way off. Where you're getting all hyped about this, I have no idea.

Verifiable claim about what? That news did not carry that Chime dies in India, at night on a Saturday? Is that what you want me to verify? I'm lost to what you're talking about.

Who claimed journalist where held hostage from publishing true facts? When Yaradua died, was it not a known fact? When he was seriously ill, was it tightly protected or not? Did the media have so much access to information when he was ill compared to when he died?

Dude, please leave all this talk jor, me sef I'm confused.

As to the classification committee, you made a claim "on in exemptions - treasonable and something else". I replied, perhaps, you're part of a committee that classifies the nations secrets, so you want me to prove what you said wrong. If that's what you want me to do, then you will tell me first, DO YOU CURRENTLY HOLD A NATIONAL SECURITY CLEARANCE?

At least, I'm getting somewhere with Demdem, with you, I'm lost.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 9:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
emmatok:

Their are laws and protocols protecting Journalist.

Chime issue is not special, if the state comes out with the truth all these won't happen.
But turning the heat on journalist is wrong.Why can't those guys raid PUNCH OFFICE it was punch that publish the news.

That is way most of our Journalist give their news to SAHARA REPORTERS.
Remember YARADUA regime.

Again, I'm no Nigerian expert on Nigerian Legal system, but one thing is for sure. For every one law protecting journalist, there's 10 protecting the govt and it's secrets, so what gives?

Exactly. Chime is not special, ok ... Heck I even said, he nor Fidel add nothing to me, but what is wrong is wrong.

Turning the heat on journalist is wrong only if they posses their information correctly, not the backdoor. Although Demdem and I have reached a resolve that the govt ought to charge them to court if they did something wrong.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:18pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Again, me I'm no expert on Nigerian law, so I'll stick to what I know. Neither you nor I know whether they showed him an judge order, or a search/seize warrant. We're just going by what he claimed. As for illegality, I guess it differs from country to country and case by case.

Look, to an extent i know how these guys work. the mere fact that they find it difficult to identify themselves properly suggests to me that they knew the law wasnt on their side. i have no reasons to doubt this journalist. his antecedents has been clean so far.

Technically, they're not obligated to show him their ID's. No agent will show you their ID card, but their enforcement badge. He claimed, at 11pm at night, he wants to see their ID, who does that.

technically u say grin grin ok the so called enforcement badge (if at all they have such) why didnt they brandish such when asked to identify themselves.

Again, neither you nor I know if they fully identified themselves as "State Security Service" with an badge...we're just going by what he said.

Again i re-instate that i have no reasons for now to doubt this journalist because his record so far is encouraging. If the SSS thinks otherwise, they should bring out a release to that effect but till then, will stick to his report which forms the basis of this thread.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
adconline:

i love this.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
Of cos he is innocent to the best of our knowledge pending any further explanation from the SSS. Before this incident, he is noted for the truth and after this incident he is still a free man still doing what he knows what to do best. he is not being charged for anything till date.

Well, like they say - Innocent till proven guilty, right?

Then the procedure itself has to be condemned by all like i have been stating. In a democratic setting, its such shouldnt be allowed.

What shouldn't be allowed? An order for search and seizure? Hmm, if that's what you mean... Please take a look at our Amendments.

he was threatend but not harrassed if am to get u right. Honestly, that doesnt make sense to me.

Me sef was discombobulated when I wrote that. What I meant in the context was the meeting/and the acclaimed threat. There are types of threat and this wasn't harmful, at least we can see... It doesn't constitute harassment
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by adconline(m): 9:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Seriously dude, you're somewhat way off. Where you're getting all hyped about this, I have no idea.

Verifiable claim about what? That news did not carry that Chime dies in India, at night on a Saturday? Is that what you want me to verify? I'm lost to what you're talking about.

Who claimed journalist where held hostage from publishing true facts? When Yaradua died, was it not a known fact? When he was seriously ill, was it tightly protected or not? Did the media have so much access to information when he was ill compared to when he died?

Dude, please leave all this talk jor, me sef I'm confused.

As to the classification committee, you made a claim "on in exemptions - treasonable and something else". I replied, perhaps, you're part of a committee that classifies the nations secrets, so you want me to prove what you said wrong. If that's what you want me to do, then you will tell me first, DO YOU CURRENTLY HOLD A NATIONAL SECURITY CLEARANCE?

At least, I'm getting somewhere with Demdem, with you, I'm lost.

Let me remind why we are having this debate in case someone is having Romneysia.. You supported Chime's security guys or thugs for holding a Punch journalist hostage and confiscating his working tools without any court order.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 9:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
Look, to an extent i know how these guys work. the mere fact that they find it difficult to identify themselves properly suggests to me that they knew the law wasnt on their side. i have no reasons to doubt this journalist. his antecedents has been clean so far.

Exactly! You have no reason for doubt, which is absolutely fine... However, I'm off the opinion that if their mission there was vengeful or otherwise, his stories wouldn't surface. A prime example is the "do not make any call" incident, YET he did. One of many flaws in the story.

Again i re-instate that i have no reasons for now to doubt this journalist because his record so far is encouraging. If the SSS thinks otherwise, they should bring out a release to that effect but till then, will stick to his report which forms the basis of this thread.

There's nothing wrong sticking to your guns brother...I'm not giving any doubt nor full blown support to either, that's what makes us different.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by blocker: 9:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
cool cool cool Why take this much trouble to block information if there is no foul play? Ask anybody in Enugu whether SUN Newspapers came to the vendors stand last friday. No wait don't ask before they seize the laptop wen I dey use type sef.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:30pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Well, like they say - Innocent till proven guilty, right?

of cos so lets take this report has the absolute truth till a contrary report comes around preferably from the SSS itself

What shouldn't be allowed? An order for search and seizure? Hmm, if that's what you mean... Please take a look at our Amendments.

Search and seizure against those critical of govts positions without any basis (he never lied in his earlier report) shouldnt be encouraged and be condemned by all

Me sef was discombobulated when I wrote that. What I meant in the context was the meeting/and the acclaimed threat. There are types of threat and this wasn't harmful, at least we can see... It doesn't constitute harassment

Abegii, spare me with these arrangement of words. i admit, u are good with it but the fact remained that he was threatened by men of the security agents and that to me is harassment.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life:

Exactly! You have no reason for doubt, which is absolutely fine... However, I'm off the opinion that if their mission there was vengeful or otherwise, his stories wouldn't surface. A prime example is the "do not make any call" incident, YET he did. One of many flaws in the story.

Doesnt that suggest to u that they themselves believes the law isnt with them in that house. That ordinarily should be an arrestable offence if truly their presence was backed by law. yet they did nothing. thats a red flag there.

There's nothing wrong sticking to your guns brother...I'm not giving any doubt nor full blown support to either, that's what makes us different.

am ok with this.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
blocker: cool cool cool Why take this much trouble to block information if there is no foul play? Ask anybody in Enugu whether SUN Newspapers came to the vendors stand last friday. No wait don't ask before they seize the laptop wen I dey use type sef.

please tell me something i dont know. But it could be a technical or logistical problem from sun itself sha.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 9:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
adconline:

Let me remind why we are having this debate in case someone is having Romneysia.. You supported Chime's security guys or thugs for holding a Punch journalist hostage and confiscating his working tools without any court order.

My goodness, brother you're something else. Please, dig up the post where I said, I supported them? Hmm, please say it how I said it. Don't put words into my mouth. angry angry angry angry

Even the Mr. Demdem, knows I've not said anything about the operative (in support of them), but justifying to him how the journalist is a person of interest, his backdoor actions and what not. Even Demdem and I reached a resolve on the issue - why should the govt denigrate itself to that of a citizen when they've done wrong.

Please, say it like I said it.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 9:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
Look, I'm so done with this argument, be it as it may... it is what it is...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Saraki Promises To Intervene In Aviation Sector Facility Crisis / Elrufai Predicts Coup In Nigeria / Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.