Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA (27148 Views)

10 Reasons Why Marrying Nigerian Women Is Simply Doing Them A Favour / I Don’t Regret Marrying A Nigerian — Oyinbo Princess / White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by RealMccoy2(m): 6:53am On Dec 20, 2012
shymexx:

True that...

Nigerians are funny people - I hardly relate to them outside nl... I don't even go near where Nigerians are, except probably when I see them in the bookies, or naija restaurants... I've heard too many stories, bro.. grin
True that. The more you dig in the more you will find out that a honest one is a rare gem. Most of my friends are Nigerians but I tend to be selective when it comes to real friends. Keep a distance if you don't want your life story to be on from page of NL....lol
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 20, 2012
Real-Mccoy:

True that. The more you dig in the more you will find out that a honest one is a rare gem. Most of my friends are Nigerians but I tend to be selective when it comes to real friends. Keep a distance if you don't want your life story to be on from page of NL....lol

I hear that... That's where keeping-a-close-circle/being-picky comes into play not all and sundry... grin
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by davidbettina: 7:00am On Dec 20, 2012
i agree with the writter.even here in italy, nigerian women are worse
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by RealMccoy2(m): 7:33am On Dec 20, 2012
shymexx:

I hear that... That's where keeping-a-close-circle/being-picky comes into play not all and sundry... grin

Only a fool will leave Nigeria for Europe or America and then keep same people as circle of friends. Many Nigerians complain to me after college that they don't seems to progress meanwhile all their friends are from Nigeria. Anyways the issue of divorce amongst Nigerians abroad and even at home are always treated with kid gloves. Our people are good in pretending . If this topic was about tribe or something dumb it would have been on page ten and counting

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by tpia5: 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2012
Real-Mccoy:

I am not married to a Nigerian bruv. She is from the Asian Pacific but cooks all kinds of Naija food provided its on you tube

Why dont you stop sharing your personal stories, just a thought.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by mimifonwon(f): 3:41pm On Dec 20, 2012
seedord247:

What version of super story is this?...lol cheesy

Nice one.... Are you single or do you have any single in ya family i can nak aphako if what you wrote about ya family is true. tongue

what is "nak aphako ?, " and yes what i say about my fam is true, never said parents havent arguedoo, am sure they do, but they do it in the privacy of their bedroom, not in front of us. I think one thing that helped them was making sure early on they separated their chores in the house, my mother used the money she made to pay our school fees all through uni ..food,sports etc, basically she took care of the house needs and kids needs, while my dad just paid the mortgage of the house and insurance,vacations and nigerian properties, so money matter never was a prob really, and we went to private schools from elementary to uni so it wasnt cheap. My dad attended most of our sport games, and school plays and my mother rarely did. My dad cooked when he could and my mom when she could after my grandma left, but we had our grandma around ( my mom's mom) for over 12 years, so she did most of the cooking till my sisters and i took over the kitchen. So i think if couples dealt with that money issue they can easily avoid most arguments, especially in the nigerian community.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by tomakint: 4:54am On Dec 21, 2012
Real-Mccoy:

I wonder who told that tribal virus about this thread? I was expecting him to be on his clown dress to entertain bloggers on comedy section.
grin grin you have said it all, he (dayokanu a.k.a Ogbomosho Goat) is a perfect blend of a goat and a monkey always runnin to and fro this forum like a restless demon! Wao, i really enjoyed readin ur post good job! Next time, ignore the bigot cool
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by tomakint: 4:59am On Dec 21, 2012
Real-Mccoy:

The reason we are like that I don't know, i have witnessed many terrible tales in London especially Peckham, it was hellish...we are terrible abroad its dat bad
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by oligo2011: 3:17am On Aug 28, 2013
His all about who u lov nd who lovs u,we need to stop saying let me go and mary 9ja lady,dose days are gone my brother,a wis man learn from others mistake u might not have a 2nd chance, heart atack is standing near by to strik y going close.mary ur sweet heart any amount will be enough for the family. my wife is at home every night y wil i b with some one who lov money than me sleep at work for 4 day b cos of almighty $, na wa'o. is ok what ever but not with me luk for some one alse.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 28, 2013
LocalChamp: Saving The Nigerian Family In The US – Nigerian Men Regretting Getting Married To Nigerian Women In The US?
Posted: December 17, 2012 - 16:56

By Paul Omoruyi
Shooting in Connecticut and Matters Arising in the Nigerian Families in the US – By Paul Omoruyi

The grotesque and senseless killing of 20 innocent kids at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut in the United States is something every parent dread daily in the US. Early reports already show that the shooter’s parents were divorced since September 2009 and the mother had custody of the shooter. The mother had exposed the shooter to guns!

With the unprecedented divorce rate in the Nigerian community in the US, Nigerian families in the US are increasingly becoming engrossed in all the family related patterns and miasma leading to these kinds of incidents.

Early this year, I wrote an article in an African Abroad newspaper that was widely published in the New York area. This writer has been disturbed for some time now about the state of the Nigerian marriage and family in the United States. Below is the original article:My phone rang. It was a call from my buddy that we started life together in the US. We talked about those early days when we just immigrated. Those are the days that will remain etched in our minds and indelible in our memories. Like so many Nigerians, we worked and went to college full time non-stop for many years concurrently as if we were machines. The impetus to achieve the American dream and not disappoint our families was the catalytic enzyme running through our veins. Till this day, we still cannot fathom how we did it. But we did anyway. It’s one of those kinds of experience that you can only say “if not God”.

We were in our twenties with all the Adrenaline and testosterones running wild. The stories of Nigerian men that have been messed up by “child support” because they got married to “akata” were sufficient enough for us to respect ourselves and control our sexual drives. My friend would always say “I go just die or go back to Naija than for me to find myself in a child support situation. Akata no go fit cook Naija food and then she go come still take me to child support? Over my dead bodi”. These concerns (or should I say fear?) were reasons my buddy did not go into any relationship with some of his college female friends who were not Nigerians. He wanted a Nigerian woman as a wife so they can speak pidgin English together, eat Egusi and Okro soup yanfuyafu (otherwise with Akata wife, na Burger King go kill am!). It was all too common a joke back in the days.

Many years have since passed. My guy is married now with a degree attached to his name and has a middle-class job. Obviously, you can say he’s living the American dream. As we reminisced and laughed about those Kodak moment days, in a split second unguarded moment, he suggested that there was nothing special anymore about getting married to a Nigerian woman in the US. “They are now even worse than the so called akata”, he said. The comment struck me and I pushed a little for him to elucidate. I listened in awe as he told me what he’s experiencing at home. While he poured his heart to me, he kept asking me “do you think say Akata or even Caribbean woman go behave like that”? Apparently, it appears his expectations have been dashed.

One that struck me most was the story of a young Nigerian teenage girl living in the shelter. Her Nigerian parents are now divorced. According to her, her parents’ marriage broke after her mother systematically stopped cooking for the family, became increasingly narcissistic and disrespectful to her dad. As if that was not enough, her dad was infuriated when he discovered that her mom had secretly bought a piece of property in Nigeria without his knowledge. Two years later, the parents divorced. Unfortunately, the young lady became pregnant while still in high school. “I just could not stand my mom and live with her. If my parents were still married, I would not have fallen for this stupid crap”, she was quoted as saying, as tears rolled down her eyes.

Although I understand that these narratives might be loop-sided but it seems to typify what most Nigerian men are complaining about lately behind closed doors. There are numerous cases of marital fuss and upheaval that have permeated Nigerian families in the US in recent years. Some people say it is the American culture shock that is rocking the boat of traditional Nigerian family structure in the US. Others claim that it is Nigerian women narrow-mindedly over stretching the American provisions. While some lay blame on Nigerian men refusing to wake up to the realities of the disparities between the American and Nigerian approach to marriage.

It is heartbreaking to hear a Nigerian man refer to his wife as my “baby mother” and a Nigerian woman says my “baby father”. Just some couple of years ago, this was a taboo terminology in the Nigerian marriage. It was actually used to surreptitiously mock the so called “akata”. Now it’s becoming a common mantra in the Nigerian community as single mothers and fathers balloon to an alarming and astronomical rate.

This is no time to pass blame or point fingers or to clamor over who is right or who is wrong. The hand writing is on the fall. This writer is whole-heartedly concerned and perturbed by the downward spiral of our marriages and families in the US. The younger generation is watching, confused and scared to death of what to expect from taking that marriage bold step.

In the spirit of finding a solution, I will proffer the following suggestions to reduce this scourge that is eating deeply into the fabric of our families:

1. Each spouse should not think that the world revolves around you only –Either my way or no way mind set is a recipe for marital failure.
2. Think twice “welu welu” before you let loose the heavens and lock that door against your spouse – you might be endangering your children’s future for life!
3. Marriage is a symbiotic and not a parasitic relationship.
4. At life’s end, the fight over dollars will be no more. Your spouse and your children will become more important than anything else.
5. There is no perfect woman or perfect man. The only perfect marriage is one that the man and woman have learned how to resolve their differences and work together through thick and thin.

People, we are better than this. Let us all fine tune our dispositions and propensities to make our marriages and families happier right here in the US. We have come too far away from home to kill ourselves in a distant land. The system is ready to tear us apart if we open that door. Do you have an opinion or experience that you would like to share? Shoot me an email. May God bless you, your family and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Blog: www.diasporasope.com
Email: eng.p.omoruyi@gmail.com

The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect the editorial policy of SaharaReporters

http://saharareporters.com/article/saving-nigerian-family-us-%E2%80%93-nigerian-men-regretting-getting-married-nigerian-women-us

U are very correct. Nigerians in America are getting madder by the day in their approach to marriage. The woman U described in ur write is a typical example of what my ex is and I thank God we separated. I rather do a God fearing akata over a nonsense party hopping naija
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by 99cent: 6:42am On Aug 29, 2013
that's just a symptom of being black. can someone spell dysfunctional
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Ugosample(m): 10:39am On Aug 29, 2013
Most Naija men for US dey dull! See fine and successful black and white chicks every where dey find husband... Na to go marry one mgbeke for village bring am come US dem sabi...
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 30, 2013
Ugosample: Most Naija men for US dey dull! See fine and successful black and white chicks every where dey find husband... Na to go marry one mgbeke for village bring am come US dem sabi...

The issue is not as clear cut as you seem to think.

After all and vice versa, we see many American (both white and black) coming to Africa, especialy Nigeria, to look for Husbands.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Ugosample(m): 3:02pm On Aug 31, 2013
Somorin#1:

After all and vice versa, we see many American (both white and black) coming to Africa, especialy Nigeria, to look for Husbands.
Leave story... To me it's not reasonable, after my uncle{s} experience. find better babe marry for there to avoid heartache. You know Nigerian women {or should i say females}are great pretenders?
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by MrsChima(f): 4:35pm On Aug 31, 2013
Somorin#1:

That's not accurate....the American women both online and off who either move to Nigeria or visit Nigeria are because of the Nigerian men they have met online or through mutual settings.

All of them said Nigerian men approached them and engaged a relationship.

You must be referring to other foreigners.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Venchy: 10:05am On Sep 01, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

Only a fool will leave Nigeria for Europe or America and then keep same people as circle of friends. Many Nigerians complain to me after college that they don't seems to progress meanwhile all their friends are from Nigeria. Anyways the issue of divorce amongst Nigerians abroad and even at home are always treated with kid gloves. Our people are good in pretending . If this topic was about tribe or something dumb it would have been on page ten and counting

Very true, Nigerians lives in denial. ....Pretends all the way while there's serious ragging fire in their house.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Nobody: 1:29am On Sep 02, 2013
Ugosample: Leave story... To me it's not reasonable, after my uncle{s} experience. find better babe marry for there to avoid heartache. You know Nigerian women {or should i say females}are great pretenders?

Perhaps it's an age thing. But once you have the benefit of age then you'll realize that Women are mostly the same universally.

IMHO, the assumption that a Nigerian Woman is a she devil and an American Woman is an angel can be disproven by spending just one day in any family court in the US.

“The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” Bob Marley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Nobody: 1:35am On Sep 02, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

That's not accurate....the American women both online and off who either move to Nigeria or visit Nigeria are because of the Nigerian men they have met online or through mutual settings.

All of them said Nigerian men approached them and engaged a relationship.

You must be referring to other foreigners.

What is the difference between what I posted and what you posted?

My intent was to show that Nigerian Men in the US should not be faulted for looking for relationships in Nigeria when even American Women are also looking in Nigeria for mates. There are FaceBook pages specifically dedicated to introducing Nigerian Men in Nigeria to American Women in America.

YMMV.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by blessed4ever: 5:38am On Sep 02, 2013
The Lord's Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement presents a two-day power-packed international crusade, titled,'GOD HAS THE ANSWER', in Eagle Square Abuja this weekend, 7th & 8th September, 2013. Time: 8.00 am daily.

The General Overseer, Pastor Lazarus Muoka will be ministering in the power of the Holy Spirit.

The Lame will walk, the deaf will hear, the dumb will speak, the blind will see, yoke of barrenness or delay in marriage will break,yoke of sin will break,HIV will be healed...all sicknesses will receive technical knockout...you will be delivered from evil spirit attack upon your life. The God of the Chosen (the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) will visit you. Come all and be blessed.
Jesus is Lord!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Afrobeau: 6:53am On Oct 11, 2013
[quote author=Real-Mccoy]you can breed your American wife to act like a Nigerian quote] If you really don't want Nigerian women, or should I say if Akata or any other Non-Nigerian is better than Nigerian women, why would you try to make her act like a Nigerian women. I would rather have a Nigerian woman than a half baked foreign wife

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Afrobeau: 6:58am On Oct 11, 2013
tpia@:

Why dont you stop sharing your personal stories, just a thought.
I wonder, all these people who claim to marry Non Nigerians that can do what Nigerian women do. why then don't they go ahead with the Nigerian ladies? I think most of the men commenting here are the brainwashed ones acting like some Black American men who always bash their women
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Afrobeau: 7:03am On Oct 11, 2013
Ugosample: Most Naija men for US dey dull! See fine and successful black and white chicks every where dey find husband... Na to go marry one mgbeke for village bring am come US dem sabi...
You sound like a typical Id*ot, black and white women in America are the fine ones, but then our women are the Village Mgbekes? I guess you've never lived abroad because I know a lot of fellow men who married those white chicks and akatas and are regretting their actions. One even told me he made a huge mistake which he won't like me to make.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Ugosample(m): 7:15am On Oct 12, 2013
Afrobeau:
You sound like a typical Id*ot, black and white women in America are the fine ones, but then our women are the Village Mgbekes? I guess you've never lived abroad because I know a lot of fellow men who married those white chicks and akatas and are regretting their actions. One even told me he made a huge mistake which he won't like me to make.
Says who? I visited my uncle in L.A. just before his marriage broke up. This woman was a pest, coming home very late, being snobbish, e.t.c. This is a woman who he picked from the village (my uncle(s) and my dad inclusive are strong advocates of marrying from your hometown) and trained in America. At least 80% Igbo residents in Carson did the same and most of them regret it. One even divorced him, took 50& of his assets including the family house and was spending the money on Toy boys. Now she's a wretched b**ch. Maybe i shouldn't have generalised(my bad) but i spoke of what i saw while with him. When i'm ready to marry, i'm gonna be open minded as my wife must not be Igbo or Nigeria. That's my advice, based on my experience.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Ugosample(m): 7:41am On Oct 12, 2013
Somorin#1:

Perhaps it's an age thing. But once you have the benefit of age then you'll realize that Women are mostly the same universally.

IMHO, the assumption that a Nigerian Woman is a she devil and an American Woman is an angel can be disproven by spending just one day in any family court in the US.

“The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” Bob Marley
Women are almost the same, i know. But is it compulsory that your wife must be from your homeland. My dad is on my neck, telling ne and my cousins that we MUST bring home an Igbo girl for marriage. That's causing problem for us. And i think some people on this forum are hypocrites; it is okay to generalise foreign women as demons but it is not okay to generalise Nigerian women as same. You people haven't seen the monsters many of them become when they cross over.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by addictiv(m): 2:21pm On Oct 12, 2013
mehn you guys are scaring me with all these revelations............and family is like "you must marry an igbo woman who knows our traditions and way of life. "..but what use is that if she becomes a thorn in the flesh...
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Ugosample(m): 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2013
addictiv: mehn you guys are scaring me with all these revelations............and family is like "you must marry an igbo woman who knows our traditions and way of life. "..but what use is that if she becomes a thorn in the flesh...
Is your family also insisting that you must marry an Igbo woman? You see where the problem comes from... Why must they narrow my horizon? That won't happen.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Ugosample(m): 5:10pm On Oct 12, 2013
addictiv: mehn you guys are scaring me with all these revelations............and family is like "you must marry an igbo woman who knows our traditions and way of life. "..but what use is that if she becomes a thorn in the flesh...
Is your family also insisting that you must marry an Igbo woman? You see where the problem comes from... Why must they narrow my horizon? That won't happen. P.S. This is not to say that Igbo women or Nigerian women are bad, but my submission is... As long as you can tolerate her faults, it's okay.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Ugosample(m): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by addictiv(m): 9:16pm On Oct 12, 2013
Ugosample: Is your family also insisting that you must marry an Igbo woman? You see where the problem comes from... Why must they narrow my horizon? That won't happen. P.S. This is not to say that Igbo women or Nigerian women are bad, but my submission is... As long as you can tolerate her faults, it's okay.
took it as a joke initially but these people are looking for war...
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by Happywoman(f): 11:31pm On Oct 12, 2013
One of my uncle had the misfortune of marrying one of these demonic desperadoes desperate for husband ones. Resigned his oil coy job here in Naija, and broke the heart of one lovely innocent nurse he was dating and followed this mean hearted man slaying Iye Lekute to Uk thinking it was a case of destiny reuniting him with his former high school love only to find out she was a demon.
I don't ever pity him . It's over 20 yrs now no kid from her and she is not even bothered . When any of us even as much as call or dare visit , na so she go dey haunt u dey threaten with olopa. So the entire kindred has abandoned him to his choice. ESP since when she locked our cousin up saying she was trying to snatch her husband. Imagine dat! Simply because the babe made our local dish wen she visited dem in UK and my uncle praised her .
My pple open ur eyes welllllllll and loooooook well well b4 u leap .the chick wen go grow bcom Rooster na from infancy person they detect am. If a partner has this traits , dont say love is blind and go ahead amd marry or move the person to somwhere,and start having hbp cos he/she wants to throw u under the bus for a meal ticket. Don't agree to be anyone's maga. I invite u to com join me chop, u com begin hold my hand say make me no chop again. Thunder fire such pple!

More money doesn't always equal more joy!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by MrsChima(f): 2:39am On Oct 13, 2013
Somorin#1:

What is the difference between what I posted and what you posted?

My intent was to show that Nigerian Men in the US should not be faulted for looking for relationships in Nigeria when even American Women are also looking in Nigeria for mates. There are FaceBook pages specifically dedicated to introducing Nigerian Men in Nigeria to American Women in America.

YMMV.

The difference is obvious and facebook page has nothing to do with AMERICAN women going to Nigeria looking for husbands.

Nairaland promotes romance between Nigerians yet Nairalanders aren't marrying each other in droves.
Re: Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA by MrsChima(f): 2:43am On Oct 13, 2013
[quote author=Afrobeau][/quote]

I agree on one thing you have said...don't force a non-Nigerian to be a Nigerian.

I find it brave for women to marry foreign men without papers. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

She Played Hard To Get, It Failed, Now She Wants Him / UBUNJA's MISEDUCATION: The Female Source Code. / Ladies, Do You Prefer To Be Very Rich Or Have A Very Rich Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.