Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

How To Have Fun On A Road Trip - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Have Fun On A Road Trip (6773 Views)

Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. / My Road Trip From Lagos To Ibadan. Pictures! / The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Immune1(m): 8:25am On Dec 19, 2012
The Christmas season is here again; this time of the year is characterized by a lot of road/vehicular movements across the nation. If you happen to plan on going on one of these interstate swings, here is just how to have fun while at it:

Carry out the regular checks on your car before you leave: ensure everything mechanical and electrical about your car is in order. Here is a quick checklist of some of the areas you (not entirely by yourself, get a mechanic too) shouldn’t fail to pay attention to: your car’s cooling system, suspension, steering; also your tyres, wheel-hubs/bearing, your brakes, lights, wiper blades (fluid level too), battery, basic electricals. For Auto-gearboxes, get it right with the dare-devil transmission fluid, don’t forget the biggest boy of them all; your engine which literally calls the shots. You will do well to be honest and thorough enough to check yourself!

Get a Camera or use your phone well: always remember the golden rule: snap and share; the fun is more in the sharing than in the snapping. Hence, take advantage of the internet and the available social networks like facebook, twitter and the rest of them to get the word out, you can take it a notch higher by sharing it across interested groups over the internet. On a very shallow level, this happens to be the easiest way to get your friends that flew very envious because they definitely are missing out on something. Capture as much as you can, make new friends and capture even more; ensure the elements of the background of your images scream road-trip!

Money, money and again, money: As much as you might be tech-savvy with all the ‘switches’, the ‘visas’ and the ‘masters’; nothing beats the appearance of raw cash. I personally remember sleeping in a filling station once with all my virtual moneybags. As a precautionary measure, add an extra 20-30% to your budget to account for fuelling; spontaneous shopping, hotels (you just can’t tell) and emergencies which can range from common tyre purchases to unfortunate vehicle towing. On the flipside, don’t bring all your life-savings along all in the name of emergency.

Are you comfortable enough? To be frank its not all cars that can make a memorable road trip; I have to be literally out of options to find myself(6ft+) in a Kia Picanto (no hard feelings). Ensure your vehicle is road trip compliant with soft seats, enough head and leg room; basically with enough space to comfortably accommodate everyone you intend to carry. Get rid of any element or factor that might pose a threat to your outmost comfort; because to be sincere, an average Nigerian road trip is so much fun with countless bumpy actions to keep you alert. Don’t overuse your air-conditioning system and try to maintain low stress levels.

Make Unusual stops and be Democratic as much as you can: The key is to stay flexible, don’t make your road trip which is supposed to be fun another chore or office work which must strictly go according to a mapped out plan; be spontaneous, but still keep your eyes on the price. Endeavour to consider the cravings of others which might be kids or friends, because at the end of the day everyone should have fun.

Be Mindful of what you eat: On a typical road trip from Lagos to far South-Eastern Nigeria where I am from, you have to pass through 7states with tons of local meals you just might want to give a shot at. But I’d rather be safe than sorry, so I stick with my ‘snacks and fruits only’ golden rule which has worked for me on several occasions. However, if you chose to be a nutritional tourist, you might not escape the adventures of ‘squat and bush’.

Bond and share stories: Don’t kill the spontaneity with just your kind of music or with music throughout the entire trip. It can be so surprising how certain road events or features can spark up very interesting conversations which might just create an opportunity to learn new things or even bond better. If you have children do well to indulge them as much as you can, besides you easily would have flown. This is an assured way to keep things light and fun.

Don’t Bank on the ‘Commercial bus’ trick: If you are not conversant with the road you intend plying, make conscious efforts to ensure you have a clearer picture of where you are headed. I personally don’t cram maps; I rather stick with taking note of some landmark features which represent certain areas along my road trip route. This is not to say maps are not the ultimate guides. Before the trip ensure you know the exact route to take as your primary assurance of not getting lost, if that doesn’t work out, you then can tail a commercial bus or buses you are sure they are headed your direction.

Track your actual fuel consumption rate and fill up at projected intervals: this is very important! After the first hour of your trip you should be able to tell how much fuel your car consumes over a certain period of time. With this data at hand you can make projections and stop to re-fuel at the right intervals to avoid stopping too frequently or getting stranded along the road.

Avoid Night trips and weird Hotels: when you have to get off the road because the night is drawing near and you are nowhere close to your destination, avoid creepy hotels; there are specific reasons they are that cheap and you shouldn’t fall for such. You might not know exactly how a road trip will turnout, so at this point you have to rely on your discretion.

Plan for breakdowns or road mishaps: Help yourself and even others. I remember once along Umuahia, just a couple of minutes after we took off on that road trip, we unfortunately got stuck in a small ditch. After close to an hour we were lucky to have gotten a towing rope from a 911-tipper; what this means is that when you plan ahead for possible odd events, you might end up helping someone else. Also, when you proactively engage in planning for mishaps you unconsciously remind yourself how important it is to drive safely and obey traffic rules in a bid to stay alive and get to your destination in one piece. Hence, travel along with your torch-light in place, jerry-can, first-aid kit, towing ropes, traffic triangles and the best possible road-attitude.
http://www.autobaseafrica.com/how-to-have-fun-on-a-road-trip/

9 Likes

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by SIRcumalot: 10:19am On Dec 23, 2012
Load up on aspirin
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 23, 2012
Ca c'est tres bon. @OP merci beaucoup.

3 Likes

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by johnstar(m): 10:24am On Dec 23, 2012
Ok undecided, wait Õoº°°º, u noe go church
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Csami(m): 10:24am On Dec 23, 2012
Where is the fun in all this? NEXT.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Stegomiah: 10:31am On Dec 23, 2012
NONSENSE! Buy lacasera nd gala, den put on ur earpiece nd listen 2 tonto dike nd omotola's album, bet u'll av a gr8 journey.

1 Like

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by decrox199(m): 10:32am On Dec 23, 2012
a bottle of schnapp will do
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 23, 2012
Food/Snacks + Camera + most importantly, 2-3 other passengers (cheerful friends/people) seems to do the trick for me.

Nice List @OP Especially on the part about being comfortable. I personally don't go on long trips in a small automobile. A Mid-Size SUV strikes the perfect balance.

Oh and don't forget the GPS device.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Morgan1092(m): 10:38am On Dec 23, 2012
Mtchewwwww! Waste of Front Page.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 23, 2012
La Professeur: Ca c'est tres bon. @OP merci beaucoup.

its gud to see nigerians speak and write french, it was taught in my secondary school but i never gave it attention. but it would nice if you translate your comments.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 23, 2012
nice tips
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 23, 2012
O.T.I.S:

its gud to see nigerians speak and write french, it was taught in my secondary school but i never gave it attention. but it would nice if you translate your comments.

I think he/she said "that is very good' @op 'big thanks"

1 Like

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by vislabraye(m): 10:49am On Dec 23, 2012
The tips is are apt especially if driving around Africa.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by dilbert100: 11:03am On Dec 23, 2012
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by kagari: 11:12am On Dec 23, 2012
Wat of us wey dey folo public transport na?
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by markus1133: 11:13am On Dec 23, 2012
grin grin grin
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by odehaj: 11:16am On Dec 23, 2012
Morgan1092: Mtchewwwww! Waste of Front Page.
Not at All! You may never know how much this piece of info can help someone out there. A big thx,OP. In addition you don't just stop to pick up/lift strangers anyhow simply because SHE is going 'ur direction and always remember, SAFETY FIRST!
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by akhis: 11:16am On Dec 23, 2012
Immune#1:
The Christmas season is here again; this time of the year is characterized by a lot of road/vehicular movements across the nation. If you happen to plan on going on one of these interstate swings, here is just how to have fun while at it:

Carry out the regular checks on your car before you leave: ensure everything mechanical and electrical about your car is in order. Here is a quick checklist of some of the areas you (not entirely by yourself, get a mechanic too) shouldn’t fail to pay attention to: your car’s cooling system, suspension, steering; also your tyres, wheel-hubs/bearing, your brakes, lights, wiper blades (fluid level too), battery, basic electricals. For Auto-gearboxes, get it right with the dare-devil transmission fluid, don’t forget the biggest boy of them all; your engine which literally calls the shots. You will do well to be honest and thorough enough to check yourself!

Get a Camera or use your phone well: always remember the golden rule: snap and share; the fun is more in the sharing than in the snapping. Hence, take advantage of the internet and the available social networks like facebook, twitter and the rest of them to get the word out, you can take it a notch higher by sharing it across interested groups over the internet. On a very shallow level, this happens to be the easiest way to get your friends that flew very envious because they definitely are missing out on something. Capture as much as you can, make new friends and capture even more; ensure the elements of the background of your images scream road-trip!

Money, money and again, money: As much as you might be tech-savvy with all the ‘switches’, the ‘visas’ and the ‘masters’; nothing beats the appearance of raw cash. I personally remember sleeping in a filling station once with all my virtual moneybags. As a precautionary measure, add an extra 20-30% to your budget to account for fuelling; spontaneous shopping, hotels (you just can’t tell) and emergencies which can range from common tyre purchases to unfortunate vehicle towing. On the flipside, don’t bring all your life-savings along all in the name of emergency.

Are you comfortable enough? To be frank its not all cars that can make a memorable road trip; I have to be literally out of options to find myself(6ft+) in a Kia Picanto (no hard feelings). Ensure your vehicle is road trip compliant with soft seats, enough head and leg room; basically with enough space to comfortably accommodate everyone you intend to carry. Get rid of any element or factor that might pose a threat to your outmost comfort; because to be sincere, an average Nigerian road trip is so much fun with countless bumpy actions to keep you alert. Don’t overuse your air-conditioning system and try to maintain low stress levels.

Make Unusual stops and be Democratic as much as you can: The key is to stay flexible, don’t make your road trip which is supposed to be fun another chore or office work which must strictly go according to a mapped out plan; be spontaneous, but still keep your eyes on the price. Endeavour to consider the cravings of others which might be kids or friends, because at the end of the day everyone should have fun.

Be Mindful of what you eat: On a typical road trip from Lagos to far South-Eastern Nigeria where I am from, you have to pass through 7states with tons of local meals you just might want to give a shot at. But I’d rather be safe than sorry, so I stick with my ‘snacks and fruits only’ golden rule which has worked for me on several occasions. However, if you chose to be a nutritional tourist, you might not escape the adventures of ‘squat and bush’.

Bond and share stories: Don’t kill the spontaneity with just your kind of music or with music throughout the entire trip. It can be so surprising how certain road events or features can spark up very interesting conversations which might just create an opportunity to learn new things or even bond better. If you have children do well to indulge them as much as you can, besides you easily would have flown. This is an assured way to keep things light and fun.

Don’t Bank on the ‘Commercial bus’ trick: If you are not conversant with the road you intend plying, make conscious efforts to ensure you have a clearer picture of where you are headed. I personally don’t cram maps; I rather stick with taking note of some landmark features which represent certain areas along my road trip route. This is not to say maps are not the ultimate guides. Before the trip ensure you know the exact route to take as your primary assurance of not getting lost, if that doesn’t work out, you then can tail a commercial bus or buses you are sure they are headed your direction.

Track your actual fuel consumption rate and fill up at projected intervals: this is very important! After the first hour of your trip you should be able to tell how much fuel your car consumes over a certain period of time. With this data at hand you can make projections and stop to re-fuel at the right intervals to avoid stopping too frequently or getting stranded along the road.

Avoid Night trips and weird Hotels: when you have to get off the road because the night is drawing near and you are nowhere close to your destination, avoid creepy hotels; there are specific reasons they are that cheap and you shouldn’t fall for such. You might not know exactly how a road trip will turnout, so at this point you have to rely on your discretion.

Plan for breakdowns or road mishaps: Help yourself and even others. I remember once along Umuahia, just a couple of minutes after we took off on that road trip, we unfortunately got stuck in a small ditch. After close to an hour we were lucky to have gotten a towing rope from a 911-tipper; what this means is that when you plan ahead for possible odd events, you might end up helping someone else. Also, when you proactively engage in planning for mishaps you unconsciously remind yourself how important it is to drive safely and obey traffic rules in a bid to stay alive and get to your destination in one piece. Hence, travel along with your torch-light in place, jerry-can, first-aid kit, towing ropes, traffic triangles and the best possible road-attitude.
http://www.autobaseafrica.com/how-to-have-fun-on-a-road-trip/

This is wonderful. Thanks somuch for bringing this out. It reminds us that a safe trip is not just only on luck, one has a role to play as well.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by akhis: 11:19am On Dec 23, 2012

Why won't u Mtchewwwww! When u don't have a trip to make

1 Like

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by kalufelix(m): 11:32am On Dec 23, 2012
bonjour
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by biggjoe(m): 11:32am On Dec 23, 2012
grin tonto dike's new horror movie will offer good company on any long trip
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8gSpMCfwnCM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSpMCfwnCM
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Opoki(m): 11:36am On Dec 23, 2012
Well, trip is fun but its a Dare Devil in Nigeria because of the insecurity, plying those roads you mention without tagible reasons is not really the best, especially during the Yuletide.
On a contrary, go to cinemal and watch movies. Like me, i'm going to the cinema to watch one babasala movie that was released in the 80s and it has been a festive of playing console, myself, wifey and my younger brothers. Its fun playing tournament, screeming and the likes...
Don't embark on a dare-devil trip all because of fun... Its not safe.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by kalufelix(m): 11:37am On Dec 23, 2012
kagari: Wat of us wey dey folo public transport na?
no 4get to buy la casera and gala/bigi 4rm the park b4 una take off ...but ma broda if na enugu-portharcourt xpressway u go ply fun no dey 4 dat one atol
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by PosCaricature: 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2012
Csami: Where is the fun in all this? NEXT.
'All these' & not all this.

1 Like

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by PosCaricature: 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2012
akhis:

This is wonderful. Thanks somuch for bringing this out. It reminds us that a safe trip is not just only on luck, one has a role to play as well.
You don't have to quote everything for you to make simple comment.

1 Like

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by PosCaricature: 12:49pm On Dec 23, 2012
akhis:

Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by a1solution: 12:52pm On Dec 23, 2012
Nice info
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by kalufelix(m): 1:02pm On Dec 23, 2012
rememba ur seatbelt...if u re travellin on 2 wheels dont 4get ur helmet...lol
safe journey!
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 23, 2012
Torch light incase ur headlamp fails. Jerrycan of water incase ur radiator overheats... tongue

If you arent good in driving, take the commercial bus option. I saw upto 4 vehicles fallen into ditches along a road stretch of just 44km this morning. Most people are just bad with driving. Moving a car is different from driving.

Inspite of the harsh economic conditions people are still jostling to travel. Dont go hungry in January 2013. Safe trip....
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 23, 2012
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 23, 2012
Nice tips, but the unusual stops...nope!! grin there are too many crazy people out here!
Anyway, I haven't been on a road trip in a while. smiley
I think i might during the summer and take a ride up to my home state.
Re: How To Have Fun On A Road Trip by manneger(m): 5:12pm On Dec 23, 2012
Pls all these long post eehh....that don't make meaning

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Hurl Insults At Other Drivers On Nigerian Roads?? / Custom Duty For Lexus RX 350 / High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.