Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,387 members, 7,781,109 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:06 AM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 (20138 Views)

What Percent Performance Will You Give GEJ For 2012? / Onaiyekan, Sultan Nominated For 2012 Nobel Peace Prize / Shocking Predictions By Primate Elijah Ayodele For 2012/2013... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by dayokanu(m): 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
Nobel prize we know not Gordon Bell prize, Man Booker,Mike Tyson Lilian Gish, Tupac Shakur awards
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu: Nobel prize we know not Gordon Bell prize, Man Booker,Mike Tyson Lilian Gish, Tupac Shakur awards

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 10:10pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu: Nobel prize we know not Gordon Bell prize, Man Booker,Mike Tyson Lilian Gish, Tupac Shakur awards
so much for free education! undecided......... **its funny how even the apparently educated ones end up sounding like dauda my vulcaniser undecided undecided**

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama:

Wole Soyinkas achievements are commendable
If this was a thread about Wole Soyinka,I will be all over it congratulating him
besides his Nobel,he is one of the few men that have suffered for the cause of Nigeria.
Prof Soyinka was imprisoned for the cause of Biafra and has written on the injustice of Biafra
Perhaps one of the few Yoruba men in that category
Igbos love Wole Soyinka
For you or anyone to try to peg Soyinka against Igbos is ludicrous
He won't even be on your side in this argument,he will be happy for Achebe
Soyinkas successes however does not take away one bit from Chinua Achebes
Prof Achebe has continually enjoyed world wide recognitions through out his career and is the author of the most widely read Book by an African author ever,published in over 50 languages
If it makes you or anyone uncomfortable ,tough!
Deal with it!

No apologies!
This thread is about Achebe not Soyinka
So even if you were taught from childhood to hate and be fearful of Igbos,you can change your perception by educating yourself and broadening your horizon.you will be better for it
Your parents ignorance does not have to be yours
You and the other fellow are sounding pathetic here
exactly what you are supposed to do concerning false and fiction achebe and your elders are telling you.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by dayokanu(m): 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:
so much for free education! undecided......... **its funny how even the apparently educated ones end up sounding like dauda my vulcaniser undecided undecided**

How much more for uneducated folks like you. You better go and mind your Oga shop and call customers to come buy spare part, Siddon there dey use your oga Blackberry play

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 19, 2012
My last post here will be the words of Wole Soyinka

[size=18pt]
Wole Soyinka: Writing in certain environments carries with it an occupational risk. When I was imprisoned, without trial, it was as a result of a position I took as a citizen. Of course I used my weapon, which was writing, to express my disapproval of the [Biafran] civil war into which we were about to enter. These were people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own. Unfortunately, the nature of my imprisonment meant that I couldn’t practise my trade because I was in solitary confinement for 22 months out of the 27, and I was deprived of writing material. So I had to somehow break through the barriers, smuggle in toilet paper, cigarette paper, scribble a few poems, pass messages outside. I was able to undertake exercises to make sure that I emerged from prison intact mentally.
[/size]

He stands head and shoulders above many

[size=18pt]The men have left,the effeminate ones and the boys are now out to play[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 10:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:
just like too much of free akpu and fiction can turn one to a drug pusher to malaysia.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama: My last post here will be the words of Wole Soyinka[/color

[color=#006600]He stands head and shoulders above many

That Soyinka is an upright legend is not in question. That Achebe is a creation of deceit and illusion is also not in question.
These we both know and understand.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by salam001(m): 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Nonsense. Life is not about age. Age has no meaning in death's dictionary.
Achebe is seriously messed up. Deal with it
and if I may ask,what have you achieved in your entire life apart from spraying acute ignorance all over Nl,what else?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by dayokanu(m): 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
Baby mama: My last post here will be the words of Wole Soyinka

He stands head and shoulders above many

Nnwanne You see why he was able to win the Nobel prize and inferior beings are struggling with Gordon bell prize, Yakubu Aiyegbeni prize, Snoop Dogg prize, Justin Beiber prize and Joseph Goebells prize.

Soyinka was far ahead of all Nigerian writers
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu:

Nnwanne You see why he was able to win the Nobel prize and inferior beings are srruggling with Gordon bell prize, Yakubu Aiyegbeni prize, Snoop Doggy Dogg prize, Justin Beiber prize and Joseph Goebells prize.

The bolded is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but complete truth.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 10:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu:

Nnwanne You see why he was able to win the Nobel prize and inferior beings are srruggling with Gordon bell prize, Yakubu Aiyegbeni prize, Snoop Dogg prize, Justin Beiber prize and Joseph Goebells prize.

grin grin grin dude i dont ascribe much to you,mentally i mean BUT i know you can at least read to save your life.....assignment:read up on the nobel prize,its nomination criteria and criticisms over the years. **hell,what am i even hoping to achieve by this....he probably would'nt see it anyway**
err....on second thought,just forget it! grin
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
Am reading the book now
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
Prof Corruption: Some of our brothers from Eastern side of the Niger truly like be hailed for nothing, empty chest beating that amounts to nothing.

What's IoS? Independent on Sunday book selection! What some fools are celebrating here is tantamount to Sunday Tribune selecting a book as being good to read, nothing more. To the fools celebrating, how does this selection validate the contents of the book? There is a difference between a readable book and a factual one. The book is readable because it's written by Achebe but it's full of lies, lies and lies which are being deconstructed almost on daily basis.

Achebe goofed big time. He killed his literary career by publishing tissue of lies as personal history. I laughed really hard when the book was listed as non-fiction as if Achebe had ever written a fiction in his life. He should stop spending money to promote a bad book. Let him win the real thing: Nobel Prize and play in the first class league peopled by the likes of Wole Soyinka, Naguib Mahfouz,Nadine Gordimer etc.

^^^Couple of things to note:

1- Igbos are not your 'brother' mate, as we'd sooner be brothers with a rattlesnake! Gerrit?......good!;

2- Also, you talk of Igbos "empty chest beating that amounts to nothing": now if you had wanted to be objective and make a good analysis of the responses on this thread, you'd have searched for and gone straight to the initial bigoted post that started the whole mud-slinging (and there's no prizes for noting that it's your embittered pathetic brother that kicked off the whole thing by 'drawing first blood'......check his initial caustic comment which was a precursor for all the other rubbish -like your post- that was to follow); so an admirer of Achebe making a post (which ordinarily should be no skin of your nose) about Achebes' memoirs making the IOS best books list for 2012....this now suddenly translates to Igbos 'chest beating' and is making you mad?; even if -for the sake of argument- Igbos are chest beating over this issue, why does it pain you so much?.....does it affect your well-being in any way?; the only explanation one could come up with is that you and your ilk are bitter and hateful of any achievements Ndigbo make in any field of endeavour, and the same envious spirit that possesed your god awo.....i see that same malevolent spirit in you;

3- You then take the pains to 'try' and belittle the IOS best books listing (you- a nobody that just exists on the pages of nairaland as a sad bigot?).....this says more about your dark state of mind than anything else really; whatever you may think of Achebes' book....this shouldn't be a license to believe that you're more reasonable and better informed than a body of literary intellectuals that have deemed it fit to honour him, and the many countries that have translated and made his book standard literature in their schools;

4- Achebes' book is HIS 'memoirs' of the civil war, gerrit?; it should stand side by side with any rebuttal you can come up with, and then we should leave it to neutrals and students of 'inhumane wars and genocide' to decide which is a tissue of lies and which is fact!

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by dayokanu(m): 10:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
salam001: and you are the care taker of his wealths & properties or what

How you post is a reflection of your IQ. Since IQ is often hereditary Your IQ can be extrapolated to determine that of your lineage

Thats how I was able to make a scientific estimate of his current IQ and your lineages Potential IQ. I now set the upper limit for 200yrs Like we do in integral calculus to calculate area bounded by the curve.

I know you wont understand that cos they don't teach that in Alaba or OAU(Osisikankwu Achebe University or Otokoto Anajemba University)

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander:
Ambiguous!
Chaff(countermeasure)
chaff(dry part covering seed)
waste, unimportant,and worthless

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by dayokanu(m): 10:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
phantom:
grin grin grin dude i dont ascribe much to you,mentally i mean BUT i know you can at least read to save your life.....assignment:read up on the nobel prize,its nomination criteria and criticisms over the years. **hell,what am i even hoping to achieve by this....he probably would'nt see it anyway**
err....on second thought,just forget it! grin

Criticism over the years? Thats a very daft statement even if we are looking at it from the Daftometer prism

The world Cup has its critics does it stop it from being the biggest footballing event?
Olympics has its critics does it stop it from being the biggest sporting event?
America has its critics but does that stop it from being the World superpower(even though Mugabe doesn't agree),
Achebe has his critics but that doesn't stop him from being senile and crippled Goebells reincarnate,
Ojuku has his critics it doesn't stop him from being a recognized coward and child molester,
Soyinka has his critics but that doesnt stop him from being Nigerias biggest writer

Nobel is still the biggest academic prize for Literature and Mr Achebe can never win it. Infact Wale Adenuga author of Ikebe Super magazine and Sandra Ekwunife who writes Better Lover Magazine stands a better chance than the senile cripple
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Tolexander: 10:40pm On Dec 19, 2012
salam001: and if I may ask,what have you achieved in your entire life apart from spraying acute ignorance all over Nl,what else?
at least, he is not crippled and senile. Glory be to God
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by phantom(m): 10:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
AGAIN.......we could do this all day you know.... cool grin
phantom: The Nobel Prize in Literature is not the only literary prize for which all nationalities are eligible. Other notable international literary prizes include the Neustadt International Prize for Literature, the Franz Kafka Prize, and the Man Booker International Prize. In contrary to the Nobel Prize in Literature and the Franz Kafka Prize, the Neustadt International Prize and Man Booker International Prize are awarded bienially. The journalist Hephzibah Anderson has noted that the Man Booker International Prize "is fast becoming the more significant award, appearing an ever more competent alternative to the Nobel".[63] The Neustadt International Prize for Literature is regarded as one of the most prestigious international literary prizes, often referred to as the American equivalent to the Nobel Prize.[64][65] Like the Nobel or the Man Booker International Prize, it is awarded not for any one work, but for an entire body of work. It is frequently seen as an indicator of who may be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. Gabriel García Márquez (1972 Neustadt, 1982 Nobel), Czesław Miłosz (1978 Neustadt, 1980 Nobel), Octavio Paz (1982 Neustadt, 1990 Nobel), Tomas Tranströmer (1990 Neustadt, 2011 Nobel) were first awarded the Neustadt International Prize for Literature before being awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

The Man Booker International Prize "highlights one writer's overall contribution to fiction on the world stage"[66] and "has literary excellence as its sole focus".[66] Established in 2005, it is not yet possible to analyze its importance on potential future Nobel Prize in Literature winners. However, the winners of the Man Booker International Prize, Ismail Kadare (2005), Chinua Achebe (2007), Alice Munro (2009), and Philip Roth (2011) are all considered perennial contenders for the Nobel Prize in Literature.

There are also prizes for honouring the lifetime achievement of writers in specific languages, like the Miguel de Cervantes Prize (for Spanish language, established in 1976) and the Camões Prize (for Portuguese language, established in 1989). Nobel winners who were also awarded the Miguel de Cervantes Prize include Octavio Paz (1981 Cervantes, 1990 Nobel); Mario Vargas Llosa (1994 Cervantes, 2010 Nobel); and Camilo José Cela (1995 Cervantes, 1989 Nobel). José Saramago is the only author to win both the Camões Prize (1995) and the Nobel Prize (1998) to date.
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_in_Literature
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by salam001(m): 10:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
Tolexander: at least, he is not crippled and senile. Glory be to God
if you know what this man has achieved,you would wish to be crippled and senile
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 10:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu:

Nnwanne You see why he was able to win the Nobel prize and inferior beings are struggling with Gordon bell prize, Yakubu Aiyegbeni prize, Snoop Dogg prize, Justin Beiber prize and Joseph Goebells prize.

But where's the 11 million?

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by ezeagu(m): 10:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu:

Criticism over the years? Thats a very daft statement even if we are looking at it from the Daftometer prism

The world Cup has its critics does it stop it from being the biggest footballing event?
Olympics has its critics does it stop it from being the biggest sporting event?
America has its critics but does that stop it from being the World superpower(even though Mugabe doesn't agree),
Achebe has his critics but that doesn't stop him from being senile and crippled Goebells reincarnate,
Ojuku has his critics it doesn't stop him from being a recognized coward and child molester,
Soyinka has his critics but that doesnt stop him from being Nigerias biggest writer

Nobel is still the biggest academic prize for Literature and Mr Achebe can never win it. Infact Wale Adenuga author of Ikebe Super magazine and Sandra Ekwunife who writes Better Lover Magazine stands a better chance than the senile cripple

But he's in Time 100 though?

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
i keep asking this question without getting any answer
what has yoruba contributed to Nigeria's development
which yoruba minister or public servant has ever done anything revolutionary while in office
when i think of igbo ministers or public officials i remember more than a bunch

soludo -the best cbn governor
nnaji - the best power minister

there are many more, but these two are undisputable

please can anyone show me two yoruba ministers that did something positively revolutionary while in office.
all they do is corner all federal positions and steal as much as possible anytime they near federal purse.

nigeria is finished as long as yoruba remain part of it!
they are the termites of nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
as for their private citizens, all they care about is how to corner nigeria's oil wealth, nothing more
they never develop anything to improve nigeria's export or image

igbo:
zinox computers -nigeria's flagship computer, exported to other countries
innoson -nigeria's first local auto manufacturing company, soon to be exported

yoruba:
oil, oil, and only oil companies which develop nothing except to lease out nigeria's oil fields to international cos.
they add nothing.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by babapupa: 10:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
salam001: common sense eludes you,must one Die for something to become a hero?smh

Dopemu. Shouldn't you be asking your re..tarded brother why compared the bitter and senile old man with dead people.? You and that fool can not even tell us what the clown believed in.

Dumb I..diots
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
please can anybody show me what yoruba citizens add to nigeria, both as public servants or as private businesses

... please minus oil theft businesses

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir In IOS Best Books For 2012 by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
even here in nairaland, they can't even serve nigeria patriotically
any opinion not favoring them is quickly closed or moved
very devious people!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18)

Explosions Rock Borno Town, Biu / Saraki: Jonathan Did Not Give Me Any Bribe Over Missing $20bn / Nenadi Usman: I Shared N23b Diezani Poll Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.