Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ (5904 Views)

Guess The Author Or The Book / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / The Book Of Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Brisingr(m): 7:18am On Dec 30, 2012
Following
.as long as the book Dey tpb of which many naija authored books are not.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by saxris2012gmai: 11:04am On Dec 30, 2012
D-deola:
Hi people,here's what i have in mind for this club;
we pick a book for every month and discuss each chapter of the book we get to pick. We should also choose a convenient time and day for everyone
To the fast readers,pls dont tell us what happened at the end ,until everyone gets there.
I think for a start someone should pls pick a book we can all work with. Thanks for your cooperation.

I've read just about every submission made by club members, not many are suggesting local books from our own authors. How about we start with 'Evicted from My Space'. It's a true-life literature written by one of us. Ifeanyi Urigwe chronicles the emotive events in his life in several European countries, South Africa and Nigeria, his underworld, illicit diamond trade and many other heart-breaking accounts put together in one book.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by adim2(m): 12:49pm On Dec 30, 2012
If we are going for a book, we have to agree on a book that we can download and also buy from the book shop
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
Hello club members.let me use this opportunity to wish you all a hapi new yr,i pray this yr brings fruitfulness and satisfaction by the grace of God.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by afroxyz: 10:20am On Jan 05, 2013
D-deola:
Hello people,i'd like to suggest the following books,other suggestions are also welcome.

-the pelican brief by John Grisham

-The conspiracy club by Jonathan Kellerman

-Eat,pray and love by Elizabeth Gilbert

-The last juror by John Grisham

Like i said earlier suggestions are welcom and i hope that by this weekend we should be able to come to a reasonable conclusion.

Thanks for your support people,i appreciate.

Why not Nigerian books?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by afroxyz: 10:27am On Jan 05, 2013
D-deola:
Hi people thanks for the response.
Almost everyone agreed to jan 3rd (i do hope u kno it's a thursday sha)
so what time do you propose.
I'm open to any book,foreign or nigeria.but sincerely i prefer foreign books though.
One of the reasons behind this idea is to broaden our horizens anyway,besides it'd realy impove our reading skills,because u dont want to be left out in the excitement,you know you want to have something to say everytime we come here to discuss.
Therefore let's come up with a convenient time and get this thing started already people *winks*
Thereby promoting foreign books?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by opo22: 11:30pm On Jan 06, 2013
I am diappointed that till now we a yet to pick a book. Anyway am suggesting Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum, for its suspence. (if u av to go to work the next day, dont start) this was how this book was described. So lets start interestingly. Am also suggesting 10th of January. If we prepare eba for 10 years, when a we going to eat it.

2 Likes

Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by efeski(m): 1:22am On Jan 07, 2013
Peace to Earth
Hi pple, while we're still undecided as to the book we should pick, I humbly suggest a somewhat radical amendment of the subject matter in question.
Rather than discuss a known book, why don't we encourage interested and aspiring authors amongst us to submit short story of theirs each week.
That way they'll be encouraged to develop their crafts, we'll discover fresh and budding talents and we'll all have a chance of appraising their respective works with a view to making them better writers.
We have a lot of talented authors in Nigeria going to waste either because they lack guidiance or possess no fora such as these for tips to hone their craft, (we all know Nigeria's programmed to frustrate ur efforts by default) so let's encourage home fiction.
The 2 major publishing houses in Nigeria are Cassava Republic & Kachifo-Farafina and getting them to publish one's books aint easy either because of their high standards or sheer pride.
If you guys feel that this suggestion should be started on a new thread entirely pls feel free to suggest same.
Peace to Earth

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by opo22: 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2013
efeski: Peace to Earth
Hi pple, while we're still undecided as to the book we should pick, I humbly suggest a somewhat radical amendment of the subject matter in question.
Rather than discuss a known book, why don't we encourage interested and aspiring authors amongst us to submit short story of theirs each week.
That way they'll be encouraged to develop their crafts, we'll discover fresh and budding talents and we'll all have a chance of appraising their respective works with a view to making them better writers.
We have a lot of talented authors in Nigeria going to waste either because they lack guidiance or possess no fora such as these for tips to hone their craft, (we all know Nigeria's programmed to frustrate ur efforts by default) so let's encourage home fiction.
The 2 major publishing houses in Nigeria are Cassava Republic & Kachifo-Farafina and getting them to publish one's books aint easy either because of their high standards or sheer pride.
If you guys feel that this suggestion should be started on a new thread entirely pls feel free to suggest same.
Peace to Earth

Need u say more. I humbly suggest we start with a known widely read bestseller because we may also need to hone our skills as critics too. It will be a crime to murder an upcoming writer with our ignorance. So let my suggestion stand. We a delaying too much.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by afroxyz: 6:54pm On Jan 08, 2013
opo22:

Need u say more. I humbly suggest we start with a known widely read bestseller because we may also need to hone our skills as critics too. It will be a crime to murder an upcoming writer with our ignorance. So let my suggestion stand. We a delaying too much.

I go with efeski suggestions plus discussion of Nigerian books. If raypower did not do such, where would Nigerian music be today?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by megareal: 11:08pm On Jan 08, 2013
I'm in but I've not seen any seriousness here. I agree with opo22, let's read Ludlum's Bourne Identity then start the discussion.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 2:38am On Jan 09, 2013
Happy new thangs to all, must confess so happy to stumble on this thread, that being said must say too,that this Idea is off the hook, thought while reading through the posts that the Jan.3rd date was the proposed date and that I was already l8, buh that seems unlikely anyway,...glad I could join.

Choice of Books.
Personally I'l go for Foreign anytime.

Why?
Well the answer isnt far fetched, one.accessibility, right now, dont think, am ready or most people are ready to hang onto hard copies anyway, coz of the many reason attached to it.

2. As the Op. Rightly pointed out, different view, get what it feels like understanding another environ, the imagination that it brings thrills me alot.

3. Nigerian books to me are more class room like structures, except for ones like stories by Cyprian Ekwensi, to me, we can do Naija books only after we've gotten serious and know our strengths.

4. Foreign books to me are actually written for places like this, and are more fun than our serious themed naija books. Etc

Without any further ado, I kick for foreign.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 2:45am On Jan 09, 2013
As for the book to read,..
I will like us to Start with a John Grisham, presently on the The Chamber, buh as the Op. Pointed out thats relating to the books she suggested, The Last Juror wont be bad at all, coz i have the Ebook format...whatever decision is made sha, I'l be a gud boy and stick wiv em, buh we de delay o! We shud get started by this weekend., besides hope where's Cuddlemil hope to know her or he bera, frm this forum, and every one too.

N/B, nations cup is nxt weekend, just felt I shud the house knw that we might lose boys for the tournament, ..we reali need to get going!
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 2:56am On Jan 09, 2013
afroxyz:
Thereby promoting foreign books?

dont really think thats the idea, though sounds like it, itz just a way of beginin, I dont reali see a Naija book holdin us spell bound for the moment, yea they are up coming writers, we need to knw ourselves as OPO22 pointed out, hone our critikin skillz b4 we enta naija proper, might be one OYIBO' one Naija.

And one chapter no do o! At least 2-3 b4 boredom and laxity creeps in..

My humble loblomachy(hope i got it rait)
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by megareal: 12:45pm On Jan 09, 2013
OP, still waiting....
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 09, 2013
Finally people are speaking up. May i suggest that we submit the link we can download the books from so we can all have access to it.
Let's go with the bourne identity by Robert ludlum and meet here on saturday.kindly let's agree on a time so we can all enjoy this.
N.B: We can do two chapters,it's fine by me.
@opo22 Please help us with the link, latest by tomorrow evening so we can get cracking.Thanks a bunch.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by afroxyz: 11:06pm On Jan 09, 2013
Well, count me out then.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 7:08am On Jan 10, 2013
afroxyz: Well, count me out then.

ah ah why na, u cud learn 4rm here too na, u mean say u knw d follow chuk eye inside hollywud? No be naijawood everytime na!

I think we nid to start togeda, so Afroxy, do have a change of mind, ehn?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 8:30am On Jan 10, 2013
The Bourne Identity is a nice book, truly. I read it about two months ago, it's really pulse-quickening dose for lovers of hard-boiled thrillers. I think we should have agreed on a genre before choosing a book. Getting the link for Bourne is not very easy. I'm sure the person from whom this suggestion came doesn't have the link either. Anybody who has the link may kindly drop it. If not, we may visit manybooks.net for a befitting alternative.
Bless you.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by megareal: 11:08am On Jan 10, 2013
Larry-Sun:
The Bourne Identity is a nice book, truly. I read it about two months ago, it's really pulse-quickening dose for lovers of hard-boiled thrillers. I think we should have agreed on a genre before choosing a book. Getting the link for Bourne is not very easy. I'm sure the person from whom this suggestion came doesn't have the link either. Anybody who has the link may kindly drop it. If not, we may visit manybooks.net for a befitting alternative.
Bless you.
You are right. It may not be easy to find a link to most renowned authors. I have the hard copy of Bourne Identity and its sequel Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum. First read Bourne in my SS2. As you rightly said, we can pick any good alternative from manybooks.net.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 1:43pm On Jan 10, 2013
megareal:
You are right. It may not be easy to find a link to most renowned authors. I have the hard copy of Bourne Identity and its sequel Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum. First read Bourne in my SS2. As you rightly said, we can pick any good alternative from manybooks.net.
I have the Bourne series too in paperbacks: including The Bourne Legacy, The Bourne Sanction, The Bourne Deception. So, if it is Bourne, we're gonna have a hell of a discussion to engage.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 2:52pm On Jan 10, 2013
Larry ah don check for ludlum tire 4 this ur site, even M.puzo, jus cnt get them, how den do I work on the site, BTW, if this genre is too debateable, I stil stick with John Grisham o!
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 3:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
ortopazz: Larry ah don check for ludlum tire 4 this ur site, even M.puzio, jus cnt get them, how do I then work on the site, BTW, if this genre is too debateable, I stil stick with John Grisham o!

I never said Ludlum, Puzo or Grisham were on the site...I only said there're some downloadable novels there too, which are also great.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 4:25pm On Jan 10, 2013
Larry-Sun:

I never said Ludlum, Puzo or Grisham were on the site...I only said there're some downloadable novels there too, which are also great.

dint say that either, just asking how If I cud use the site to achieve that purpose, ......is ok sha!!
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by efeski(m): 2:34am On Jan 11, 2013
(((YAWN))) 'long-thing'
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 7:17pm On Jan 12, 2013
is anythimg going to happen here! Knck knck
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:03am On Jan 14, 2013
Late again buh the teacher is still MIA

Count me in please

KINDLY BEAR IN MIND THIS proverb (CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME)

U wanna great a bookclub and promote best selling authors? How about we start here on NL? Just to show how much we love reading?

U can't help ur neighbour with flour while your kids are starving
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by megareal: 6:24am On Jan 14, 2013
Larry-Sun:

I have the Bourne series too in paperbacks: including The Bourne Legacy, The Bourne Sanction, The Bourne Deception. So, if it is Bourne, we're gonna have a hell of a discussion to engage.
Aren't you the reader! I'm gonna find the three I don't have. But yes and yes! If its Bourne, we can debate till kingdom comes.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by megareal: 6:25am On Jan 14, 2013
OP, do we need to hijack this thread from you? Wake up! Peeps are losing interest.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 11:45am On Jan 14, 2013
got the bourne series but peeps are nt in any way serious!

Waz happening?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 14, 2013
Dis sounds fun,am still waiting 4 d book of d month.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 10:40am On Jan 15, 2013
The thread is just stagnant...maybe the OP is waiting till it makes frontpage...or what.
Nice having you here, HBG.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival? / Why I Have No Future Ambition. / The Perfect Flight. (A Romantic Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.