Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ (5902 Views)

Guess The Author Or The Book / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / The Book Of Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 10:56pm On Jan 17, 2013
D-deola:
Hi guys, guess we'v all seen the different sessions i opened for the book club,i deliberately opened the african and foreign sessions because i didnt think this one should be closed down and i did mention in my last post that this particular thread would be for nairaland novels,guess it wasnt conspicuous enough as someone went ahead to open another thread.
Well, that thread is strictly for Nairaland books peeps.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Cuddlemii: 12:20am On Jan 19, 2013
This thread should be used for chatting, discussing, planning, rules etc.

The discussion on the main club threads (nairaland, foreign)should minimize

The thread needs to be orderly and neat
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hi guys,this is to formerly inform you that the captains for each club have been chosen and they are;
-@kanechimex for the nairaland book discussion club
-@Humbledbygrace for the africa book discussion club
-@Larry-sun for the foreign book discussion club.
This is to make sure the clubs are always in order.I am seriously counting on you guys to make this work.
So captains what do you think the rules should be?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by agatha4life: 2:37pm On Jan 20, 2013
[quote author=D-deola]Hi guys,this is to formerly inform you that the captains for each club have been chosen and they are;
-@kanechimex for the nairaland book discussion club
-@Humbledbygrace for the africa book discussion club

Have you guys created the Africa book discussion club link?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ok people the discussion has started for the book discussion club, nairaland.
If you enjoy nairaland novels why dont you join the club,we've started with the brand of cain by larry-sun.hope to hear from you soon.
@Agatha4life,the thread for the book discussion club(africa) has been opened and the captain is humbledbygrace,you should find it on the front page of the session or you could check my profile.thanks.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by agatha4life: 5:08pm On Jan 20, 2013
[quote author=D-deola]Ok people the discussion has started for the book discussion club, nairaland.

@Agatha4life,the thread for the book discussion club(africa) has been opened and the captain is humbledbygrace,you should find it on the front page of the session or you could check my profile.thanks.

Thanks D-deola.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 21, 2013
Hello all
I am joining...
And suggesting we read books by genres (if not one people would find themselves reading Grisham, Ludlum,Archer, etc only)
I am not knocking these books o, love them...The Chamber, The Matarese Circle, Kane and Abel, etc I nearly stole for

But have discovered other genres since...first novels are awesome, New York Times BS, Some Oprah Book Clubs books, Noula O' Faolain is an absolutely awesome writer! Who knows her please? Anita Shreve, Connoly, etc...Classics easy to get too...Flaubert, the Russians, Austen, etc

My point is that we should have a way of also getting the "unknowns" into the mix, after all, they need to be known, lol....and they are usually easy to download...and the "forgotten" ie Classics

Pls no 50 Shades o, I am a book snob, (though in fairness, every genre has people who like them and a book club should be tolerant of varied tastes)
Some African authors too..Chinua, Ngugi and the rest re-visited...been so long, and they made for great reading then, but would they cut it for our seasoned tastes now? Let us find out

I have never been in a book club before, ever been on my mind though....in Eastern 9ja where I live, this is not exactly common-place

Cheers all, I am soo in
(though I should be doing something else (work-related) if I know what is good for me lol....but, wth, I am already on this addictive forum, I might as well be on 1 of the 'noble' parts of it)
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2013
You're welcome, Milly.

We've already selected a book to read, it's Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Visit D-deola's thread for it (Book Discussion Club #Foreign#)

Discussion kicks off on Saturdays.

Bless you.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Nobody: 12:20am On Jan 22, 2013
Hi people,in order to keep the clubs organised, here are some simple rules that would govern them.I implore you to stick to them.
-One of the goals of these clubs is to read and enjoy literature and you are welcome to join any of the 3 book discussion clubs if you love books,want to broaden your horizon or even want to impove your reading skills.
-It's okay to disagree as we are all entitled to our opinions but let's do so in a polite and tactful manner, therefore fowl languages and inappropriate utterances will not be tolerated.
-Please respect the authorities of the captains.
-Let's minimise the use of shorthands in our comments.This is to help us with our writting skills.
-The discussions will hold every weekend,the number of chapters to be read are to be decided by the captains.
-If you are joining any of the clubs,please let's know you.
N.B: This thread is not for discussing books as we have divided it into three, so everyone can join the club they most prefer.we have, the book discussion club#nairaland#, the book discussion club (foreign) and the book discussion club(africa).We would be sharing relevant information here.You are welcome to state your interest to join any of the clubs here,you can share important information here as well and chat here also.
That would be all for now,hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by UjSizzle(f): 1:39pm On Jan 23, 2013
I'm in!! Good thing i just read Lost Symbol of recent.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 1:48pm On Jan 23, 2013
uj_sizzle: I'm in!! Good thing i just read Lost Symbol of recent.
I hope the book you read is still in handy.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by breathing(f): 3:37pm On Jan 24, 2013
D-deola:
Hi people,in order to keep the clubs organised, here are some simple rules that would govern them.I implore you to stick to them.
-One of the goals of these clubs is to read and enjoy literature and you are welcome to join any of the 3 book discussion clubs if you love books,want to broaden your horizon or even want to improve your reading skills.
-It's okay to disagree as we are all entitled to our opinions but let's do so in a polite and tactful manner, therefore fowl languages and inappropriate utterances will not be tolerated.
-Please respect the authorities of the captains.
-Let's minimise the use of shorthands in our comments.This is to help us with our writting skills.
-The discussions will hold every weekend,the number of chapters to be read are to be decided by the captains.
-If you are joining of the clubs,please let's know you.
N.B: This thread is not for discussing books as we have divided it into three, so everyone can join the club they most prefer.we have, the book discussion club#nairaland#, the book discussion club (foreign) and the book discussion club(africa).We would be sharing relevant information here.You are welcome to state your interest to join any of the clubs here,you can share important information here as well and chat here also.
That would be all for now,hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

Why do the discussions have to hold only on weekends?
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by UjSizzle(f): 4:01pm On Jan 24, 2013
Good question breathing. Why weekends? How long does it take to finish a chapter? At this rate, we'll spend over a month on one book. Make twice or thrice a week at best.
I can't vouch for being available during the weekend though, my schedule is pretty tight. So please, rethink this okay? I'm pleading oo cos i really wanna be a part of this.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 7:27pm On Jan 24, 2013
if saturdays, fridays and sundays are chosen, I dnt think there is any harm, atleast 3chapters a day, tht way we can be faster, and in a mnth 2buks or buks,, while it will hasten our reading speed and same time enhance brain efficacy becos if we end up doing just a chapter or 2, laxity comes in which then becomes a problem n makes it boring !.. Besides the week days are krazily strict and tedious!
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:55pm On Jan 24, 2013
ortopazz: if saturdays, fridays and sundays are chosen, I dnt think there is any harm, atleast 3chapters a day, tht way we can be faster, atleast a mnth 2buks or buks,, atleast tgat will hasten our reading speed, and brain efficacy becos if we end up doing just a chapter or 2, laxity comes in and it then becomes a problem n boring !.. Besides the week days are krazily strict and tedious!
u took the words right of ma mouth
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 8:01pm On Jan 24, 2013
I go with whatever decision you arrive at.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by breathing(f): 10:06pm On Jan 24, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: u took the words right of ma mouth

I didn't really get what he's saying. Some people read faster than others, some people are busier on weekends than they are on week days, reviews would have better quality if done immediately after reading, so why the wait. .
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:20pm On Jan 24, 2013
breathing:

I didn't really get what he's saying. Some people read faster than others, some people are busier on weekends than they are on week days, reviews would have better quality if done immediately after reading, so why the wait. .

He said that we cud do reviews on fridays,saturday and sundays. I agree with him on that.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 10:53pm On Jan 24, 2013
breathing:

breathing:

ok, basically what am saying is practically the same thing ur addressing, i think up there sum1 suggested 1 or 2 chapters on the day we meet, and my stggestion was why read jus a chapter or 2, when we cud do more, say 3...... And why meet on jus one day when we could allocate the weekends for d discussion, this way, if we meet ova the weekends, gv or tk 4 chapters a day, we cn finish buks faster and make the club an effective one! Besides it addresses the issue of fast reading, or what do u think?

As 4 d bizy weekend schedule? Me i cnt shout!
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by ortopazz(m): 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: u took the words right of ma mouth

why do u think the olamidez of this world spend time studying their missin bones 4? winks!!!
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:59pm On Jan 24, 2013
ortopazz:

why do u think the olamidez of this world spend time studying their missin bones 4? winks!!!
lol
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Splendblex(f): 1:23pm On Jan 25, 2013
HBG! You didn't tell me I was missing somethingsad
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by megareal: 3:08pm On Jan 25, 2013
Why don't we take a book a week and analyse the whole darn thingy over the weekends? Or maybe a book in two weeks? I'm a very busy person but when it comes to reading, I can do that while on the move.If it takes too long, it will lose the essence of the whole exercise.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:53pm On Jan 25, 2013
megareal: Why don't we take a book a week and analyse the whole darn thingy over the weekends? Or maybe a book in two weeks? I'm a very busy person but when it comes to reading, I can do that while on the move.If it takes too long, it will lose the essence of the whole exercise.

That's wat wr doing tho sum people r dragging their feet, we will see how equiped we r on sunday
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:55pm On Jan 25, 2013
Splendblex: HBG! You didn't tell me I was missing somethingsad
M sorry
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Splendblex(f): 6:03pm On Jan 25, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: M sorry
Its ok hon,I'm in now.will look 4 d books n join ur African clubcheesy

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:27pm On Jan 25, 2013
Splendblex: Its ok hon,I'm in now.will look 4 d books n join ur African clubcheesy

Can't wait to have u on the team grin grin grin
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Phatill(f): 9:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
Lets begin with the book discussion already. I cnt wait anymore
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by LarrySun(m): 9:21pm On Jan 28, 2013
Phatill: Lets begin with the book discussion already. I cnt wait anymore
We've already begun. Check the OP's profile.
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by Phatill(f): 2:02pm On Jan 30, 2013
Re: The Book Discussion Club ~chat zone~ by DAruwa: 2:59am On Jan 31, 2013
Here are some ebooks about our history:

http://retakeyourfame..ca/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival? / Why I Have No Future Ambition. / The Perfect Flight. (A Romantic Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.