Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,641 members, 7,801,867 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College (2791 Views)

Career Mistakes You Should Avoid In Your Place Of Work. / Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? / Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by nitrogen(m): 7:14pm On Dec 19, 2012
In school it’s easy to keep the reality of post-college life at bay.

It may feel like the start of your career is way off. The reality is you must be ready to compete for the job,aggressively, well before you hear the heady strains of Pomp and Circumstance.

If, by the months leading to your graduation you haven’t prepared, you’re in for a lengthy and more difficult job search than you could have had. This great post summarized what recent grads learned as they made the transition from college life into the real world.

Let’s just say: Regrets… they’ve had a few.

Here are the top 10 things recent grads said they would do differently if they had it to do over.

-I would have started looking for jobs earlier.
-I would have actually networked.
-I would have taken on a job or an internship in addition to my course-load.
-I would have gotten more involved in career-relevant extracurricular activities.
-I would have applied to more jobs, earlier.
-I would have focused more on becoming professional.
-I would have done more to figure out what my career goals were.
-I would have gone to the career center.
-I would have kept better track of my achievements.
-I would have focused more on developing relevant skills.

If you are still in school, you have time to take some corrective action.

What choices will you make now? Recent grads: do you agree?

Source: http://www.youtern.com/thesavvyintern/index.php/2012/12/19/recent-grad-regrets-mistakes-made-in-college/
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by AjanleKoko: 7:18pm On Dec 19, 2012
Reading through this, my first thought is: Not really relevant to graduates from Nigerian universities.

2 Likes

Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by nitrogen(m): 8:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
^^^^ Oga mi sir, I think you are right, but I will still disagree with you, reason is that for those stated up there, like six or seven out of them are relevant, how? Let's take them one by one:

1.I would have started looking for jobs earlier.

Seriously, like one's year 4 and 5 can be good times for this, at least we have some that got jobs before graduation. Okay, it is a 20-80 situation, so, its out.

2.I would have actually networked.

Please what do you think about this? Since networking gives 60% assurance of jobs. Knowing the right people and believe me, this can be done in school, just be dilligent and know how to mix with people, both mates and those established.

3.I would have taken on a job or an internship in addition to my course-load.

This is possible in Nigeria, just that it won't be easy, but I think with lots of searching on the students side and the willingness of employers, then it is feasible. Btw, most multinational coys and firms give chances to students as regards that.

4. I would have gotten more involved in career-relevant extracurricular activities.

Of course! This will go a long way esp. When looking for jobs after school. It will tell employers somethings about the jobseeker. It is very simple to do.

5. I would have applied to more jobs, earlier.

This with no 1 are quite tough anyway, but a trial might bring something positive.

6. I would have focused more on becoming professional.

Oga me sir, no need to do justice to this, except for the sake of those still in school. Professionalism is the best.

7. I would have done more to figure out what my career goals were.

This is something personal, we can say personal discovery and development.

8. I would have gone to the career center.

There are non in our universities, but uncles and brothers that have experience can help out here, just to guide them.

9. I would have kept better track of my achievements.

Whaoh! This is quite important especially if you want to get into this multinationals and big coys.

10. I would have focused more on developing relevant skills.

Seriously, this is very very important, as in, development of skills is quite necessary and it will go a long way, no need to explain further because it is always stressed here on nairaland. You can do this in many ways when in school.

Bros, you see that this is even more of a personal thing, although the impact of these universities and their environs cannot be left out.

P.s: permit my typos, it isn't easy.

2 Likes

Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by yemmyma: 8:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
^^^^ Oga mi sir, I think you are right, but I will still disagree with you, reason is that for those stated up there, like six or seven out of them are relevant, how? Let's take them one by one:

1.I would have started looking for jobs earlier.

Seriously, like one's year 4 and 5 can be good times for this, at least we have some that got jobs before graduation. Okay, it is a 20-80 situation, so, its out.
How many people get good jobs without NYSC? Like who cares about a non-degree holder?

2.I would have actually networked.

Please what do you think about this? Since networking gives 60% assurance of jobs. Knowing the right people and believe me, this can be done in school, just be dilligent and know how to mix with people, both mates and those established.

With who? IF only you went to Babcock, Covenant and the likes

3.I would have taken on a job or an internship in addition to my course-load.

This is possible in Nigeria, just that it won't be easy, but I think with lots of searching on the students side and the willingness of employers, then it is feasible. Btw, most multinational coys and firms give chances to students as regards that.
Well you faced the fact

4. I would have gotten more involved in career-relevant extracurricular activities.
Of course! This will go a long way esp. When looking for jobs after school. It will tell employers somethings about the jobseeker. It is very simple to do.

This with no 1 are quite tough anyway, but a trial might bring something positive.

6. I would have focused more on becoming professional.

Oga me sir, no need to do justice to this, except for the sake of those still in school. Professionalism is the best.
quote]

[/quote]

Maybe Guidance and Counselling section in Universities would help cure this horrible

There are non in our universities, but uncles and brothers that have experience can help out here, just to guide them.

Whaoh! This is quite important especially if you want to get into this multinationals and big coys.

Maybe a First class is enough? or debate competition, essay?

Seriously, this is very very important, as in, development of skills is quite necessary and it will go a long way, no need to explain further because it is always stressed here on nairaland. You can do this in many ways when in school.

Yeah, now possible in a more global environment. Thanks to computers
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by AjanleKoko: 8:45pm On Dec 19, 2012
Hmm.
I still struggle with the relevance. Why? In Nigeria, there's a huge disconnect between the school system and the real jobs market. Sorry this post may end up derailing the thread somewhat.

Recent happenings, like the Dangote driver program, have me wondering. What is really the point of so many Nigerians studying whatnot at universities and polytechnics, coming out half-baked with no skills, focus, or direction, and almost no hope of a commensurate job? While there is a huge need for blue-collar skilled workers in the economy that's not being addressed, and is growing by the day.

The truth of the matter is, the economy is at a stage right now where the vast majority of jobs that are created are blue-collar skilled jobs. We're just beginning to build infrastructure, improve or privatize utilities, urbanize at a rapid rate, etc. I was just reading today that AP Moeller is building a $1.3bn port in Badagry. How many white-collar jobs would that create, compared to blue-collar jobs?

1 Like

Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by AjanleKoko: 8:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
In fact, apart from medical personnel and lawyers, who are clearly needed in Nigeria, I struggle to see the value of any other course of study in Nigeria. Engineering included. Good technical colleges and polytechnics may be all we need at this point, frankly speaking.
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by nitrogen(m): 9:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
^^^ We all know that the economy is just developing, fine, but there are still some jobs out there, and believe me, it is even almost the same everywhere, the difference is not much, the U.S, U.K and what have we, for example, a case of an average of 3 positions to 400 applicants in Nigeria is predominant in the U.K and U.S too, so?

The only thing is that, the few white collar jobs out there are for those that thought/think it well right from school, and that is the intent of the article up there, to help those coming, so they have edge over the unserious ones or themselves.

Abi bros, if you are chanced to go back to School, won't you want to get far above where you are now? And this can be achieved through those 'listed' up there. We know the system is bad, but what can these ones coming do in order to achieve their aims and to even bail the system out of it's decay?

NB: No one is derailing, at least these shitties are still related to the subject matter.

1 Like

Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by nitrogen(m): 9:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
AjanleKoko: In fact, apart from medical personnel and lawyers, who are clearly needed in Nigeria, I struggle to see the value of any other course of study in Nigeria. Engineering included. Good technical colleges and polytechnics may be all we need at this point, frankly speaking.

You are right, but I think we have them plenty, it is just that their products are made irrelevant, and their natural and acquired capabilities and abilities are channeled to the wrong place, that is why you see OND holders, whether engineering or any other field aside accountancy/banking and finance, in banks, why? because that's the only sector that can absorb significant percentage of them. It is quite unfortunate.
Sincerely, we have at least average or close to good technical colleges and polys.
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by nitrogen(m): 6:05am On Dec 20, 2012
yemmy_ma: ^^^^ Oga mi sir, I think you are right, but I will still disagree with you, reason is that for those stated up there, like six or seven out of them are relevant, how? Let's take them one by one:

How many people get good jobs without NYSC? Like who cares about a non-degree holder?

With who? IF only you went to Babcock, Covenant and the likes

Well you faced the fact

quote]

Maybe Guidance and Counselling section in Universities would help cure this horrible

Maybe a First class is enough? or debate competition, essay?

Yeah, now possible in a more global environment. Thanks to computers
Well said!

Seriously, getting jobs without NYSC is really a tough one, but people still do, meanwhile I already stated it that it is a 20-80 thing, and its out of it.

Also, as regards networking, communication and interpersonal skills are basically needed here, and even been inquisitive can still help out here, in this case, it is applicable almost everywhere and not in only private Uni's.

I say yes to those you stated as achievements up there.

1 Like

Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by Adebayofca: 6:23am On Dec 22, 2012
@Op, your post at the Accountants forum shows that we were classmate (LAS '11). How far have you gone with ICAN? I hope to write PE1 next year. My 2go username is hammedfca, kindly add me and lets talk.
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by nitrogen(m): 6:57am On Dec 24, 2012
^^^ I think have replied your pm.
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by Mustay(m): 9:07am On Dec 24, 2012
I do agree with some of the OP's points. Inasmuch as some things are not normal in Nigeria, one will not condemn the trial attempts - afterall, in constraints do opportunities exist.

No. 7 and 8 caught my attention.

I keep on harping the G&C stuff - it is even a sorry state that some G&C departments 'advertise' their services for students to patronise.

One regret students should avoid is the IT regret.

1 Like

Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by MainAttraction(f): 6:43am On Dec 25, 2012
I just recently (Dec 16) graduated with a B.S in Psychology and Biology, and it really is true that finding a job in this market is tough. I'm not in Nigeria, but where I live, entry level jobs for recent college grads are hard to come by. I really do wish I had paid more attention to the first point listed and searched for degreed jobs earlier.

This is a quote I read on a blog and it's so true: "It was a rude awakening. It's like going to college, and then having everything hand fed to you, only to get out into the real world to apply for a job, only to realize that 30 other people have a lot more experience than you. Even though you have all of these great degrees, you still have to go out and prove yourself."

2 Likes

Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by yemmyma: 5:53pm On Dec 25, 2012
MainAttraction: I just recently (Dec 16) graduated with a B.S in Psychology and Biology, and it really is true that finding a job in this market is tough. I'm not in Nigeria, but where I live, entry level jobs for recent college grads are hard to come by. I really do wish I had paid more attention to the first point listed and searched for degreed jobs earlier.

This is a quote I read on a blog and it's so true: "It was a rude awakening. It's like going to college, and then having everything hand fed to you, only to get out into the real world to apply for a job, only to realize that 30 other people have a lot more experience than you. Even though you have all of these great degrees, you still have to go out and prove yourself."

I would think differently about your situation. It is either the combination of your degree is giving you a hard time finding your true calling.
Or
Your location is not working for you. But then you are a new grad, so it is not yet a full blown disaster for you yet.

I am saying this from experience.
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by MainAttraction(f): 7:13am On Dec 26, 2012
yemmy_ma:

I would think differently about your situation. It is either the combination of your degree is giving you a hard time finding your true calling.
Or
Your location is not working for you. But then you are a new grad, so it is not yet a full blown disaster for you yet.

I am saying this from experience.

It's probably both. But I knew that with this degree, there is no way I can stop at just a bachelor's and make a good living, so I've already begun applying to grad school's-joint JD/PhD.

What is your degree(s) in?
Re: Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College by yemmyma: 10:03am On Dec 26, 2012
MainAttraction:

It's probably both. But I knew that with this degree, there is no way I can stop at just a bachelor's and make a good living, so I've already begun applying to grad school's-joint JD/PhD.

What is your degree(s) in?

Logistics Engineering. So what are you planning for a grad degree?

(1) (Reply)

Registration For Common Entrance Examination Into Lagos State Model Colleges / Salary Of A Sailor In The Nigerian Navy / Where Can I Learn Arabic As A Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.