Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians (3257 Views)

Benefits Of Reciting Surah Al Kahf On Friday / Maryam Jameelah – Life, Legacy And Lessons / Maryam (mary) Sister Of Aaron (harun) : The Truth Unveil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tbaba1234: 10:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
I find surah maryam to be one of the most incredible surah in the Quran. At some point in my life, i always had the tears flowing whenever i listened to it. The language used in the surah is absolutely incredible, the rhyme scheme is just mind blowing.

The primary focus of this surah is an address to the christians. Throughout the Quran, Allah addresses different audiences, pagans, Jews, christians, muslims, the prophet et.c. This surah's primary focus are the people, that call themselves christians.

The Build-up

Allah does not begin the story of Jesus (Peace be upon him) directly, He builds up to it. He starts with the story of another impossible birth, the birth of Yahya (Peace be upon him) (Also known as john the baptist by christians) . The christians use the miraculous birth of Jesus to as evidence for some kind of divinity but Allah brings up an another seemingly impossible scenario in which a child was conceived, as a precursor. Zakarriya(Peace be upon him) was not capable of becoming a father and his wife was not capable of bearing a child. The father and the mother were not capable yet Allah made what seemed impossible possible.

After the miraculous birth of John(Peace be upon him), Allah takes us to the story of Mary (Peace be upon her)and then the miraculous birth of Jesus (Peace be upon him). Allah is building the idea that if you think that Eesa (Peace be upon him) is worthy of divinity because of some miracle (without his father), so you made God his father. Both Zakarriya and his wife were incapable of being parents.Impossibility from both ends, then the story of Mar (Peace be upon her) is brought up.

Why John (Peace be upon him), the baptist? this is a figure the christian closely identify with.

In the Quran, Allah says:

1. Kaf-ha-ya-AAayn-sad

2. Thikru rahmati rabbika AAabdahu zakariyya

Rough translation:

1. Kaf-ha-ya-AAayn-sad

2. This is the mention of the mercy of your master to His slave Zakariyya.

Allah then takes us like He does in so many stories directly to a very particular scene, the stage is set.

3. Ith nada rabbahu nidaan khafiyya

3. When He called to his master from a distance (desperately) in a low, quiet, secretive voice

The word nidaan refers to a call from a long distance, it is associated with desperation and often times loud but Allah adds the word Kaffiya showing that Zakarriyya made this call in a very secretive tone.

4. Qala rabbi innee wahana alAAathmu minnee waishtaAAala alrra/su shayban walam akun biduAAa-ika rabbi shaqiyya

4, He says: My master, no doubt about it, my bones have become weak despite me, My heads is on fire (a flame that results in ash) and as a result my hair has become white and i have never ever been disappointed in making supplications (dua) to you.

Such beautiful language here, Zakariyya indicates that his bones have become weak as if they have become a different creature, He can't do the things, he once could with them. His head is wholly white and like flames that have turned to white ash, He is at the point of no return. Zakarriyya is really, really old at this point.

5. Wa-innee khiftu almawaliya min wara-ee wakanati imraatee AAaqiran fahab lee min ladunka waliyya

5. No doubt about it, I have infact been scared for some time of the ones , i am going to leave behind and my wife has been barren for a long time, so grant me a successor––a gift from You–

From the language used, something happened in the life of his wife that had made her incapable of bearing children. Zakarriyya begs Allah to grant him a worthy successor... He is at an extreme old age and his wife has been barren for a very long time as a result of some incident in the past. He doesn't even ask for a son, he asks for someone, who will take over his tasks and responsibilities since he doesn't trust the people, he is leaving behind.

In this seemingly impossible situation, Allah grants them a son called John (Peace be upon him). The surah goes on to talk briefly about John and then the story of mary(Peace be upon her) and her miraculous birth of Eesa (Peace be upon him), The story continues for a bit then something drastic happens:

3 Likes

Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by Juwonesho(f): 10:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
Lovely piece!
Waiting......especially for the exciting controversy its gonna generate. Lol!
Jazakallah khairan
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
Make una call me for phone incase it makes front page, my numb na 180
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tbaba1234: 11:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
A drastic shift

In Surah Maryam the rhyming pattern is very distinct and consistent throughout the beginning of the Surah all the way up until the point that it begins to address Isa (alayhis Salam). Something drastic happens, the rhyme scheme completely changes... Even if you have no knowledge of Arabic, this would catch your attention. The flow is disrupted all of a sudden,,, Allah grips the attention by changing the rhyme scheme.

The Quran was revealed as a recitation to the people, It is meant to be recited to people.

So from ayah (usually translated as verse) 2 up to ayah 33, the ayat ends with 'ah', The story starts with the story of Zakariyyah (Alayhi Salam), moves on to the story of Maryam (Alayhi salam, In surah continues to where Surah 33 where it talks about Eesa talking in the cradle (Alayhi Salam)... Each of the ayahs end with 'ahh' ...

It starts with:

ذِكۡرُ رَحۡمَتِ رَبِّكَ عَبۡدَهُ ۥ[b][size=17pt] زَڪَرِيَّآ[/size][/b]
Thikru rahmati rabbika AAabdahu zakar iyya (Surah 19:2)

This is the mention of the mercy of your master to His slave Zakariyya. (Surah 19:2)

It stops at ayah 33

وَٱلسَّلَـٰمُ عَلَىَّ يَوۡمَ وُلِدتُّ وَيَوۡمَ أَمُوتُ وَيَوۡمَ أُبۡعَثُ حَيًّ۬ا (٣٣

Waalssalamu AAalayya yawma wulidtu wayawma amootu wayawma obAAathu hayya

And peace be on me the day, I was born and the day, I will die and the day I shall be raised up alive. (Surah 19:33)

A drastic break takes place in the rhyme and it catches the attention of the careful listener, immediately he pays closer attention. A completely new rhyme scheme in which Allah negates the falsehood of associating partners with him (shirk).

By changing the rhyme, Allah captures the attention of those in dispute about the character of Jesus. After clarifying that, The same rhyme scheme returns with the story of Ibrahim (Abraham).

As usual Allah presents these arguments in the most beautiful ways...,

The change in rhyme scheme is employed in the Quran like a footnote in the english language, you know the discussion continues, when the rhyme scheme returns... A careful listener would be taken aback by the change in the rhyme... This was unprecedented in the Arabic language...

The address:

34. Thalika AAeesa ibnu maryama qawla alhaqqi allathee feehi yamta[b]roona[/b] (Surah 19:34)
35. Ma kana lillahi an yattakhitha min waladin subhanahu itha qada amran fainnama yaqoolu lahu kun fayak[b]oonu[/b]
36 Wainna Allaha rabbee warabbukum faoAAbudoohu hatha siratun mustaqee[b]mun[/b]
37 Faikhtalafa alahzabu min baynihim fawaylun lillatheena kafaroo min mashhadi yawmin AAatheem[b]in[/b]
38 AsmiAA bihim waabsir yawma yatoonana lakini alththalimoona alyawma fee dalalin mubeen[b]in[/b]
39 Waanthirhum yawma alhasrati ith qudiya alamru wahum fee ghaflatin wahum la yumino[b]ona[/b]
40 Inna nahnu narithu alarda waman AAalayha wailayna yurjaAA[b]oona[/b]

Roughly translated:

34. Such was Jesus, son of Mary. [This is] a statement of the Truth about which they are in doubt:
35. it would not befit God to have a son. He is far above that: when He decrees something, He says only, ‘Be,’ and it is.
36. (Say):‘God is my Lord and your Lord, so serve Him: that is a straight path.'
37. But factions have differed among themselves. What suffering will come to those who obscure the truth when a dreadful Day arrives!
38. How sharp of hearing, how sharp of sight they will be when they come to Us, although now they are clearly off course! Warn them [Muhammad] of the Day of Remorse when the matter will be decided,
39. for they are heedless and do not believe.
40. It is We who will inherit the earth and all who are on it: they will all be returned to Us.

The rhyme scheme returns:

Waothkur fee alkitabi ibraheema innahu kana siddeeqan nab[b]iyya[/b]

And mention thou in the Book Ibrahim; verily he was a man of truth, a prophet. (Surah 19:41)

This important point here is clearing the doubts on the character Jesus son of Mary, about whom they are in dispute. This abrupt change makes you notice a difference in rhythm and tune, it must be really big news for the tune/rhythm/theme to change totally after so long, It gives focus, and clears the doubts of the sincere listener.

Next: The concluding remarks
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by Juwonesho(f): 11:40pm On Dec 19, 2012
The part being particularly misconstrued in this surah is the 35th verse;
"maa kahna lillahi an yattakiza min waladin; subhanahu! Izah qadah amrahn fainamah yakuulu lahu, kun fayakuun"
translated: "it is not (befitting) for Allaah to take a son; exalted is He! When He decrees an affair, He only says to it, 'Be', and it is".
They assume or even more correctly claim that since he (Eesa; ASW) wasn't conceived the conventional way, he definitely has to be God's son! Subhanallah. They actually address him( Eesa, ASW) as God ( subhanallah) sometimes, another time he's also the holy spirit. Confused much to me. Dunno why it's so difficult to just say something exactly the way it's written. This is a vry sensitive topic so i'm usually kinda skeptical discussing it.
Still waiting......excitedly!cheesy
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tbaba1234: 12:35am On Dec 20, 2012
The closing address

The surah started with a gently build-up , then a clarification of who Jesus (Alayhi salam) was, then Allah showed that the hshirk (associating partners with Allah) of Abraham's father is no different from that of the christians, then a run down of previous prophets that taught the same message : the absolute oneness of God. So far, it has been done in a nice way.

The closing address to the christians is very direct.

88. Waqaloo ittakhatha alrrahmanu walada

88. They say: The extremely, unimaginably merciful has taken a son

Allah uses His extreme mercy here because that is the excuse, the christian use to justify Allah having a son. 'for God so loved the world.." . They tie the concept of God's great mercy to His having a son.

Allah takes the same word, asking: You think, my mercy needs a son That i can't show mercy to you without having a son You build this entire theology manipulating Allah's mercy.

Allah uses the same concept, they use His mercy and then shows His anger.

89. Laqad ji/tum shay-an idda

89. How terribly shocking is this thing you assert:

90. Takadu alssamawatu yatafattarna minhu watanshaqqu al-ardu watakhirru aljibalu hadda

90. it almost causes the heavens to be torn apart, the earth to split asunder, the mountains to crumble to pieces

That is how shocking the statement is, the small sound waves coming from a church are so offensive to Allah that even the universe could almost fall apart. It is only prevented by the mercy of Allah.

91. An daAAaw lilrrahmani walada

91. that they attribute a son to the extremely, unimaginably merciful

92. Wama yanbaghee lilrrahmani an yattakhitha walada

92. It is not appropriate (or befitting) for the extremely, unimaginably merciful [to have a son]:

93. In kullu man fee alssamawati waal-ardi illa atee alrrahmani AAabda

93. There is no one at all in the heavens and the earth, who will not come to the extremely, unimaginably merciful but as a slave.

94. Laqad ahsahum waAAaddahum AAadda

94. He has counted them all: He has numbered them exactly–

Ahsa is the macro account
Aada refers to a micro account, so we have the full count of them and it is made up every single little offense they did. Every single time they uttered a word of shirk.

95.Wakulluhum ateehi yawma alqiyamati farda

95. and they will each return to Him on the Day of Resurrection all alone.

The rest of Surah (roughly translated) is as follows:

96 But the extremely, unimaginably merciful will give love to those who believe and do righteous deeds: 97We have made it (the Quran) easy, in your own language [Prophet], so that you may bring glad news to the righteous and warnings to a stubborn people. 98How many generations We have destroyed before them! Do you perceive a single one of them now, or hear as much as a whisper?

More to come:

2 Likes

Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by ParisLove2(f): 6:20pm On Dec 20, 2012
Wow,

Muhammad didn't mention his mother once in his Quran but dedicated a whole chapter to someone else mother, Mary

How romantic

1 Like

Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tiarabubu: 9:52pm On Dec 20, 2012
tbaba1234: The closing address

The surah started with a gently build-up , then a clarification of who Jesus (Alayhi salam) was, then Allah showed that the hshirk (associating partners with Allah) of Abraham's father is no different from that of the christians, then a run down of previous prophets that taught the same message : the absolute oneness of God. So far, it has been done in a nice way.

The closing address to the christians is very direct.

88. Waqaloo ittakhatha alrrahmanu walada

88. They say: The extremely, unimaginably merciful has taken a son

Allah uses His extreme mercy here because that is the excuse, the christian use to justify Allah having a son. 'for God so loved the world.." . They tie the concept of God's great mercy to His having a son.

Allah takes the same word, asking: You think, my mercy needs a son That i can't show mercy to you without having a son You build this entire theology manipulating Allah's mercy.

Allah uses the same concept, they use His mercy and then shows His anger.

89. Laqad ji/tum shay-an idda

89. How terribly shocking is this thing you assert:

90. Takadu alssamawatu yatafattarna minhu watanshaqqu al-ardu watakhirru aljibalu hadda

90. it almost causes the heavens to be torn apart, the earth to split asunder, the mountains to crumble to pieces

That is how shocking the statement is, the small sound waves coming from a church are [size=16pt]so offensive to Allah that even the universe could almost fall apart[/size]. It is only prevented by the mercy of Allah.

91. An daAAaw lilrrahmani walada

91. that they attribute a son to the extremely, unimaginably merciful

92. Wama yanbaghee lilrrahmani an yattakhitha walada

92. It is not appropriate (or befitting) for the extremely, unimaginably merciful [to have a son]:

93. In kullu man fee alssamawati waal-ardi illa atee alrrahmani AAabda

93. There is no one at all in the heavens and the earth, who will not come to the extremely, unimaginably merciful but as a slave.

94. Laqad ahsahum waAAaddahum AAadda

94. He has counted them all: He has numbered them exactly–

Ahsa is the macro account
Aada refers to a micro account, so we have the full count of them and it is made up every single little offense they did. Every single time they uttered a word of shirk.

95.Wakulluhum ateehi yawma alqiyamati farda

95. and they will each return to Him on the Day of Resurrection all alone.

The rest of Surah (roughly translated) is as follows:

96 But the extremely, unimaginably merciful will give love to those who believe and do righteous deeds: 97We have made it (the Quran) easy, in your own language [Prophet], so that you may bring glad news to the righteous and warnings to a stubborn people. 98How many generations We have destroyed before them! Do you perceive a single one of them now, or hear as much as a whisper?

More to come:

So... thats why some nutheads strap bombs to themselves and blow up Churches right left and center to save Allah the offense of a Church bell shocked . How nice.

Why would Allah be targeting Christians as offending him when there are several others with weird beliefs like Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Shinto etc. Some even at that time. Did Allah forget they exist? undecided

Its obvious, Christians and Jews rejected early Islam and its principles and as a result became special targets of such outlandish claims. Abegi... Islam is the only religion I know that tries too hard discredit (and includes it in its dogma) other beliefs that rejects its principles. Na by force?

You guys are a joke grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tbaba1234: 10:13pm On Dec 20, 2012
Pagans are addressed severally in the Quran. This address is for those who claim God has a son.

We will see who the joke is on, soon enough.
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tiarabubu: 10:31pm On Dec 20, 2012
tbaba1234: Pagans are addressed severally in the Quran. This address is for those who claim God has a son.

We will see who the joke is on, soon enough.

And the pagans are each called by name? And what of those that claim several gods to compete with Allah? Or that he manifests in stones, trees, oceans, images or fire? Not bad enough eh? But that with a Son will cause the universe to "almost fall apart". Why would he care more for Christians and Christ than those who worship graven images or atheists (who don't even give a hoot) etc.

Why is Sûrah 109- Al-kâfirûn - "To you be your religion and to me my religion" not being applied here? Why has the obsession with Christianity trickled down from then to you fellows today?

Phuleaseee!

Just focus your energy on educating your fellow brethren who are embarrassing Islam everyday through murder, arson etc and follow the Sûrah 109- Al-kâfirûn - "To you be your religion and to me my religion". If you try hard enough and succeed we could focus on other important things in our lives. Better get to work ASAP

1 Like

Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tbaba1234: 10:43pm On Dec 20, 2012
The message of the Quran is for everyone but surely if you reject it. To you be your faith.

The message is for those who are interested. My job is to remind, I am not accountable for anyone.
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tiarabubu: 10:57pm On Dec 20, 2012
tbaba1234: The message of the Quran is for everyone but surely if you reject it. To you be your faith.

The message in the Quran ain't for me. Just like the Christians in early Islamic period rejected it, so do I. If truly to me be my faith, why is the Quran saying my beliefs caused the Universe to " almost fall apart" when there are others who believe in stones or nothing. What did the Universe do in their case? undecided

The message is for those who are interested. My job is to remind, I am not accountable for anyone.

Excellent! I am imploring you to also REMIND your brethren who derive sadistic pleasure in ramming bomb laden vehicles into Churches screaming "God is great" of Sûrah 109- Al-kâfirûn - "To you be your religion and to me my religion". Also, tell them that when there is talk of the "universe almost falling apart" and God taking offense as a result of the Christian faith, he wasn't asking for a helping hand.

Hope its not too much to ask?
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by Sweetnecta: 11:11pm On Dec 20, 2012
i am sure tiarabubu forgets conveniently that jew and christian reject each other group as the final religion. and there are jews who reject other religious group of jews. the christians do the same to other christian groups, too.

the joke is going to get serious and loud and louder laughs.

the group that says stone, etc is his God does not claim that his God is 1 or that he is the highest in faith. the christians say they are the highest in faith. they say they have taken the mantle of closest to God from the jews. Yet the christians make this blasphemous statement. i am sure there are somethings that people will say that will shock tiarabubu so much so that she will open her mouth as sign of being shocked of what she heard.

she can say my mouth could not open wide enough for the shock i felt. the almost falling of the heaven is in that manner. Allah did not let the heaven fall. if tiarabubu could have opened her mouth wider about the shock, she would have done it. but the skin and tissue and muscle holding the upper and lower jaws will not let the what could have happened happen.
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by truthman2012(m): 12:53am On Dec 21, 2012
When muslims talk about quran and its beauty, the first thing that occurs to me is they are under spiritual manipulations.

Gabriel the revealer of quran is the spirit of the Pharicees and Saducees who raised still opposition against Jesus and His teachings. Muslims are the Pharicees and Saducees of today.

Each time the quran mentions Jesus, it says ''the Son of Mary'' Why should He be addressed by His mother's name? What custom is that? When it mentions any other prophet's name, it doesn't state the son of whom he is, it does not even mention their father. A reasonable and unbiased person should be able know something is fishing.

The quran will say something about Jesus without stating how it happened, where it happened leaving his readers in suspense, thereby leaving room for arguments and confusions. A reasonable person should be able to ask why. God is not an author of confusion. e.g

Sura 19:19 says Jesus is a faltless child yet is says He is not more than any other prophet. Which of the other does the quran say is faltless. Inconsistency.

The quran says Jesus was not cruxified but it appeared so unto them. Allah took him up to himself (Sura 4:157-158). The impression given here is that Jesus disappeared. How can disappearance seem to people as cruxifiction? Are they related? Lies.

Muslims because the revelations in quran are contradictory to the Scriptures, they say Gospel was not written by Mathew, John, Mark, Peter and Luke. They say these people were not eyewitnesses because they were not disciples of Jesus. My questions aresada) How many were the disciples of Jesus? (b) What were their names? (c) Where did you find the information about them? Or were there no disciples with him?

A mad man cannot realize that is mad because is under spiritual boundage. But when the evil spirit is cast out, he/she will suddenly realize what has been happening. Likewise the muslims, they cannot realize they are under spiritual deception until they are delivered.

Because of its source, islam has relationship with evil spirits (the enemies of God) and that is why muslims believe in arabic magic which their alfas specialize in. No surprize, a person who has no Holy Spirit will seek help from evil spirits.

2 Likes

Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by tiarabubu: 7:28am On Dec 21, 2012
Sweetnecta: i am sure tiarabubu forgets conveniently that jew and christian reject each other group as the final religion. and there are jews who reject other religious group of jews. the christians do the same to other christian groups, too.

the joke is going to get serious and loud and louder laughs.

the group that says stone, etc is his God does not claim that his God is 1 or that he is the highest in faith. the christians say they are the highest in faith. they say they have taken the mantle of closest to God from the jews. Yet the christians make this blasphemous statement. i am sure there are somethings that people will say that will shock tiarabubu so much so that she will open her mouth as sign of being shocked of what she heard.

she can say my mouth could not open wide enough for the shock i felt. the almost falling of the heaven is in that manner. Allah did not let the heaven fall. if tiarabubu could have opened her mouth wider about the shock, she would have done it. but the skin and tissue and muscle holding the upper and lower jaws will not let the what could have happened happen.

The joke is on you oga,

Christians may reject Islam; do we strap bombs to bomb mosques or make life of Muslims difficult in predominantly Christian countries? No

Some Christians may reject Catholicism; do we murder them like Sunnis' do the Shia's (over 20,000 shias murdered in Pakistan alone shocked Infact its called a GENOCIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Rejecting a faith or a creed should not mean murdering adherents! unfortunately, some Muslims show us how;

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/11/201211269131968565.html

Instead of bogging us down with innuendos, FACE THE PRESENT. You guys need to clean house before turning your sights on Christianity. tongue
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by ParisLove2(f): 10:45am On Dec 21, 2012
Even in Quran Jesus is the son of Allah:

21:91 (Arabic transliteration and translation word by word): Wa-allati [and who] ahsanat [guarded] farjaha [vágina] fanafakhnā [so we breathed] feeha [therein] min [of] ruhina [our spirit] waja [and we] alnāhā [made her] wa-ibnahā [and her son] ayatan [a sign/verse] lil’ʿālamīna [for the world].

21.91 (Yousaf Ali): And (remember) her [Mary] who guarded her chastity: We breathed into her of Our spirit, and We made her and her son a sign for all peoples.

Comment: None of the Koran translators correctly translates “farjaha” in this verse, nor indeed “feeha” which, except in this verse is invariably translated as “therein”. Mind you I’m not sure how much difference “…guarded her vàagina. We breathed therein…” compared to “…guarded her vagina, we breathed into her...” really makes, though I suppose the former is more pointed (as the Arabic often is)

66:12 (Arabic transliteration and translation word by word): Wa maryama [And Mary] ibnata [daughter] Aaimrana [of Imran] allati [who] ahsanat [guarded]  farjaha [vàgina] fanafakhnā [so we breathed]  feehi [therein]  min [of]  roohina [our spirit]…

66:12 (Malik): Mary, the daughter of `ImrAn, who guarded her chastity, and into whose womb We breathed of Our spirit, who testified to the words of her Lord, and His scriptures, and was one of the obedient.

Comment: Malik  says it straight in 66:12, except he substitutes “womb” for the more correct “vàgina”. Therefore this verse can be rendered “so we breathed into her vagina” (as does al-Nasafi: Madarik al-Tanzil, vol. 4, p. 272).

General Comment on these two verses: the word “farjaha” is a derivative of “farj” which, according to Arab-English dictionaries is “any hole, opening, fissure, rent, slit, tear or gap”.

Muslim sources also acknowledge that “farj” can refer to  female (or male) séx organs in a “metaphorical” manner.

According to Arabic dictionaries “farjaha” is a female ‘private part’ – ie a vàgina. Other sources say: “Farjaha refers to [the] pudendum”.

Taking the tri-literal root “frj”, we find this root-word contained in K23:5, 24:30-31, 33:25 and 70:29-30, in each case the literal meaning is “private parts” (both male and female).

The word used in each case is “furoojihim” “furooj” is the plural of “farj and the “ihim” ending denotes both genders.

The Tafseer of Ibn Kathir on K.70:29-30 says: “Meaning: they [men] keep their private parts away from that which is forbidden and they prevent their private parts from being put into other than what Allah has allowed them to be in, except from their wives or their right hand possessions (meaning: their female slaves.)

What this Tafsir is saying is that guarding one’s “privates”, or  “modesty” or “chastity” (if we wish to be coy about it) means not putting your penis in an ‘unlawful’ vàgina.

Thus it seems clear that  a woman’s “frj” and its derivatives mean “vagina”, just as a man’s “frj” means his penis.

On the other hand: In the two other instances in the Koran with “frj” words, K50:6 and 77:9 the reference is to the heavens, not humans and here the word means hole/split/ rent etc.

I should state that all Muslim exegetes and writers of Tafseer comment that the “farj” referred to in  verses 21:91 and 66:12 were “openings” in Mary’s clothes, despite the fact that there is no mention of any garments or clothes in the Arabic text of the Koran (see above) and in no other case in the Koran does a “frj” word mean anything other than vàgina when applied to women and further this is in contradiction to the normal Arabic usage of “farjaha” meaning “woman’s private part” – ie vàgina.

Side note: Some commentators have suggested that this usage is vulgar (on the basis of a “farj” being a hole) and that the commands to women are on the level of “guard yer hole!” Whether this is accurate or not, I am not in a position to say.

—-

I can only assume that this exegesis is used because taken literally, these two verses have dire consequences for “normal” Islamic Theology and this “interpretation” of the verses referring to Mary’s “farjaha” as being “openings in her clothes” (despite the normal Arabic meaning and  every other usage in the Koran applied to women, a woman’s “frj” is her vagina), is done to get out of the problems these verses raise.

Firstly: if Allah “penetrates” Mary’s vagina with his spirit (as implicit in 66:12) in order to make her pregnant, doesn’t that  make Jesus Allah’s Son in a very direct way and in direct contradiction to other verses (also hence the exegetical gymnastics). This is supported (probably accidentally) by the Tafseer of ibn Kathir which says “…that breath went into her womb through her private part; this is how ‘Isa was conceived…”.(Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Abridged, Volume 6, Surat Al-Isra’,  p. 244)

Second: Given that to “Nikah” a women means primarily to have séx with her and only secondarily to marry her, do these verses imply Allah “Nikah”d Mary? Which is again in direct contradiction to other Koran verses: 21:91 (Hilali-Khan): “And (remember) she who guarded her chastity (Virgin Maryam (Mary)), We breathed into (the sleeves of) her (shirt or garment) through Our Rooh (Jibrael (Gabriel)), and We made her and her son (Iesa (Jesus)) a sign for Al-Alamin (the mankind and jinns)” where nearly 50% of the verse is the interpretors interpolations (!) based on (partial) use of tafseer.

Source
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by mukina2: 11:46am On Dec 21, 2012
my favourite Sura smiley
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by siddiq202(m): 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2012
mukina2: my favourite Sura smiley

I guess because your name is Maryam
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by mukina2: 1:46pm On Dec 21, 2012
siddiq202:

I guess because your name is Maryam
smiley
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by Sweetnecta: 2:13pm On Dec 21, 2012
its all in the truth.
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by Sweetnecta: 2:13pm On Dec 21, 2012
by tiarabubu: 7:28am
The joke is on you oga,

Christians may reject Islam; do we strap bombs to bomb mosques or make life of Muslims difficult in predominantly Christian countries? No

Some Christians may reject Catholicism; do we murder them like Sunnis' do the Shia's (over 20,000 shias murdered in Pakistan alone shocked Infact its called a GENOCIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Rejecting a faith or a creed should not mean murdering adherents! unfortunately, some Muslims show us how;

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/11/201211269131968565.html

Instead of bogging us down with innuendos, FACE THE PRESENT. You guys need to clean house before turning your sights on Christianity. tongue
i am laughing, already. if youth of the religion is benchmark, we see that christianity in europe waged war against judaism. if strength is the benchmark, we see that christanity waged war against islam and judaism in spain. we also see judaism under zionist agenda is waging war against the palestinian people. if population is the benchmark, we see judaism waging war against palestinians. we see hinduism waging war against muslims in india. we see christians oppressing muslims in major pockets and parts of the world, directly or cooperating in many forms with hindus, jews to oppress my people.

while i dislike what muslims in many parts of the world are doing to other muslims and those who are not muslims, i in the same strength dislike what others are doing to musims and non muslims.

christians overran many people. apart from converting and colonizing them, they oppressed and in some way oppressing the people right now. there is no hiding it. when you travel to a foreign land and have your christian signs and books along with your guns and swords, it is obvious that you at least have your religion in what you are doing.

i dont think there is a muslim there who can abuse anyone out there by using a verse of the Quran, with someone in his community saying he is wrong. people say al the time that the father of blacks is different from the father of whites. aparthied was based on a biblical verse. jews see their destiny as superior over the muslims based on discrimination in the bible. the christians see themselves as taking the mantle as the new covenant people. and in te least as brother of jews in faith. i can see such a mindset from these two groups will make it easy for them to kill the people of ishmael the son of hagar! it is no surprise that they will support hindus who may want to partake in the oppression or less, killing.
Re: Surah Maryam: An Address To The Christians by larrymoore(m): 2:48pm On Dec 21, 2012
tbaba1234: The message of the Quran is for everyone but surely if you reject it. To you be your faith.

let those who have ears hear this

(1) (Reply)

Powerful Advice To Our Moderator / Preparing For Eid Al-fitr / Ibrahim Niyas (lahnatu Lah Alaehim)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.