Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,961 members, 7,806,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

South Korea Gets First Female President - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Korea Gets First Female President (5178 Views)

Pictures Of Pope Francis In South Korea / South-Korea & US Start Drills As Tensions With North-Korea Escalate / Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf: First Elected Female President in Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Korea Gets First Female President by babyoy(f): 11:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
Park Geun-hye, 60, presidential candidate of the ruling party, edged out Moon Jae-in, 59, nominee of the opposition party, by a narrow margin — becoming South Korea’s first female President on Wednesday.

“Park Geun-hye has made history. The keen contest that saw an unprecedented
voter turnout of 75.8% can do any democracy proud,” Vishnu Prakash, Indian ambassador to South Korea, told HT just after exit polls when a majority of the votes had been counted. Park had a little over 3% lead over Moon in the country’s most captivating presidential elections. The formal results will be announced on Thursday.

Park is the daughter of the late dictator Park Chung-hee who has been hailed as a great moderniser as well as a brutal dictator ruling Korea between 1961 and 1979. Moon was a student activist and human rights lawyer, who was once imprisoned for opposing the dictator’s authoritarian rule.(see www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/RestOfAsia/South-Korea-gets-first-woman-President)

Nae Young Lee, director of Asiatic Research Institute, describes her as “experienced and stable but rigid and inflexible”. “The young lot doesn’t like her because they feel she represents the past. The older generation likes her because she reminds them of her father. For many, he was a hero for lifting South Korea out of poverty.”

“Park is a strong woman, someone who will stand like a rock during a crisis,” says HK Kho, professor at Pusan University of Foreign Studies. Park entered politics in 1998 by winning the national assembly seat in her father’s hometown. “She has a conservative, market-oriented political stance. But she has not got out of her father’s shadow. Her father is a political asset for her, but at the same time she has been criticised for being the daughter of a dictator,” adds Kho.

Park has one younger sister and a brother. She has never been married and her private life is almost unknown.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Iaz93: 11:45pm On Dec 19, 2012
Good
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Sunymoore(m): 10:55am On Dec 20, 2012
Okey wo. We @ naija should also vote danm patience so as to promote the country, even in term of improved english speaking no i mean to be first woman presido and see how see can go
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 20, 2012
time to dance Gangnam Style! grin
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 20, 2012
Let's see how she performs.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by DonaldGenes(m): 10:58am On Dec 20, 2012
That's right,am just watching her now On CNN
She tried!! Kudos to all women folks all over the world!!
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by 80million1: 10:59am On Dec 20, 2012
*speechless*

How will this stop me and TemmyG from taking Peppersoup tonite?
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by tobechi20(m): 11:01am On Dec 20, 2012
Okonji iwela for president
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Donsammi(m): 11:03am On Dec 20, 2012
tobechi20: Okonji iwela for president
do yu want to kill niqerians .

2 Likes

Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by GARRIx7(m): 11:06am On Dec 20, 2012
tobechi20: Okonji iwela for president
God forbid black shiit bad thing!!!!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Revolva(m): 11:22am On Dec 20, 2012
This is very productive nation that gave you LG and samsung now a female president - I sorry for nigeria -- ask your self what can you produce
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Gabrielsylar(m): 11:27am On Dec 20, 2012
Kudos to south korea...their democracy is so healthy........unlike those psychos in d north
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Ardedaryor(m): 11:38am On Dec 20, 2012
cool
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Alaafialoro(m): 11:46am On Dec 20, 2012
Revolva: This is very productive nation that gave you LG and samsung now a female president - I sorry for nigeria -- ask your self what can you produce
You forgot Hyundai and Gignam style.
@op.. Good for her. The women are gradually taking over!
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by ejifranks(m): 11:52am On Dec 20, 2012
i hope she can stand the North Korean pressure
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by dasparrow: 11:53am On Dec 20, 2012
@Post

Congrats to South Korea. I know something like that cannot happen in Nigeria because the country is crawling with chauvinists.

Revolva: This is very productive nation that gave you LG and samsung now a female president - I sorry for nigeria -- ask your self what can you produce

Nigeria can produce looting politicians, kidnappers who kidnap with no conscience, perverts, ped.oph.il/es, rap.ist/s, chauvinists and the likes.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Smooyis(m): 11:57am On Dec 20, 2012
Nigeria women should wake up! We men are ready to support them.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Prodigee: 12:11pm On Dec 20, 2012
Great! They(South Korea) should throw a massive Gangnam style party.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by VirginFinder: 12:13pm On Dec 20, 2012
Any woman who is past menopause is more or less a man.

A woman is only a woman for a short period of time starting from the day of her first menses to the day she sees the last.

Congratulations to Mrs Hye.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by obi123: 12:17pm On Dec 20, 2012
Virgin Finder: Any woman who is past menopause is more or less a man.

A woman is only a woman for a short period of time starting from the day of her first menses to the day she sees the last.

Congratulations to Mrs Hye.

Ehen!! relief, thank you very much for clarifying this , cause we were all wondering and haven't been able to sleep, literally tossing and turning in bed pondering this mystery

Geez , they said South Korea has just elected a female president and your concern is her female cycle , THE MIND BOGGLES!!!
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by ektbear: 12:30pm On Dec 20, 2012
Progress!
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by igbojicollins: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2012
Women r no more restricted 2 d kitchen.hp d useless indian village that stops women from using mobile phones should learn from this.thumbs up maam
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by VirginFinder: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2012
obi123:

Ehen!! relief, thank you very much for clarifying this , cause we were all wondering and haven't been able to sleep, literally tossing and turning in bed pondering this mystery

Geez , they said South Korea has just elected a female president and your concern is her female cycle , THE MIND BOGGLES!!!

Dont mind me. I am more of a chauvinist.

But haven't you observed that older women are more successful in politics and other spheres of life than their younger counterparts?

Go figure!
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by ujukala: 1:02pm On Dec 20, 2012
What a man can do...
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by ektbear: 1:06pm On Dec 20, 2012
... a woman can do better cheesy

(Well, we'll see how she performs though.)
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Prodigee: 1:07pm On Dec 20, 2012
ujukala: What a man can do...
...a woman can do better!
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by emygreat747(m): 1:31pm On Dec 20, 2012
gosh!!!!! @ 60 she z still a virgin,south korea here i kum,wat a sugar mom to have
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by caukerzee(m): 1:46pm On Dec 20, 2012
Sunymoore: Okey wo. We @ naija should also vote danm patience so as to promote the country, even in term of improved english speaking no i mean to be first woman presido and see how see can go
Not funny. STFU mate.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by caukerzee(m): 1:48pm On Dec 20, 2012
#80million:
*speechless*

if this news doesnt affect you, just shut the fk up and stop trying too hard to be funny.
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 20, 2012
#80million:
*speechless*

gosh!! And who cares if u and penguineG doesn't take garrisoup??
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by adesammy1(m): 2:00pm On Dec 20, 2012
how does this affects the price of LG or Samsung in the market.

Posted with love from Angwa Godo, Zaria Kaduna State with my Nokia 3310: 2013 Series
Re: South Korea Gets First Female President by Regiblinkz(m): 3:04pm On Dec 20, 2012
Alaafia l‘oro:

You forgot Hyundai and Gignam style.
@op.. Good for her. The women are gradually taking over!
. What have Ʊ done for nigeria so far...#always quick to judge#

(1) (2) (Reply)

Putin Threatens World War 3, Says Russia Could Invade Europe Within Two Days / Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! / Meet The Man Deported From Saudi Arabia For Being Too Handsome (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.