Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route (7084 Views)

Tragedy Averted As Aircraft Tyre Bursts / Another Plane Crash Averted In Abuja / Air Crash Averted In Lagos After Abuja-bound Plane Develops Fault After Take-off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by jaja77: 5:48pm On Dec 20, 2012
That pilot should be fired!!!
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 20, 2012
heroofnigeria: WHO IS THE AVIATION MINISTER PLSSSSS.

THE AVIATION MINISTER STOPPED THE GEAR FROM RETRACTING ABI?
SHE ALSO BLOCKED THE PILOTS BRAINS FROM ABORTING THE FLIGHT AND RETURNING BACK TO BASE RATHER THAN CONTINUING ON THE SUICIDE MISSION ABI?
I GUESS THERE IS AN ONGOING PROMO FOR RATIONALITY THIS XMAS PERIOD WHICH IS HEAVILY SUBSIDIZED.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by b03liberty(m): 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2012
Fly EMIRATE...,lagos-london-ilorin
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by nikky5(m): 10:52pm On Dec 20, 2012
PILOT WANTED.

TO FLY A 90 YEAR OLD PRIVATE TOKUNDO JET

SALARY: N100,000/MTH
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by nikky5(m): 10:53pm On Dec 20, 2012
PILOT WANTED.

TO FLY A 90 YEAR OLD PRIVATE JET.

Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 21, 2012
Oh lawd! Save us,make them repair our trains o o.am having phobia to travel dix days
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nobody: 6:03am On Dec 21, 2012
Jakumo: That pilot made a monumental error in judgement by continuing the flight to his destination with stuck landing gear.

Normal procedure would have been to circle round after takeoff, and land immediately on the same runway, after spending just a couple of minutes airborne.

I disagree that this was in error because it depends on the details of the flight.

If I was on the flight I woudl have preferred what the PIC did for these reasons:

1) Not sure of the type of aircraft but not all aircraft can jettison fuel in flight and it might be overloaded with fuel to attempt a landing in Ilorin.
2) I am assuming here that Lagos is a much more qualified airport to address emergency an emergency than Ilorin.
3) How many nautical miles is Ilorin to Lagos? Maybe 250 miles? Maybe 30 to 45 minutes? Unless there is another emergency other than stuck landing gear than going to Lagos is an astute decision.

A stuck landing gear in itself is not that much of an emergency. A failed aileron on one side, leaking hydraulics, repeated engine flame outs on a twin engine, etc .. those are real emergencies.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nobody: 6:06am On Dec 21, 2012
nikky5: PILOT WANTED.

TO FLY A 90 YEAR OLD PRIVATE JET.

No Pilot worth his/her salt will fly even a brand new jet for $625 per month.

If the plane is well maintained by a qualified ground crew and with consultation with the manufacturer there is no reason that a 90 year old plane cannot be in service. Economically though, not sure why any sane airline company will operate a 90 year old aircraft.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by israel007: 6:59am On Dec 21, 2012
Somorin#1:

I disagree that this was in error because it depends on the details of the flight.

If I was on the flight I woudl have preferred what the PIC did for these reasons:

1) Not sure of the type of aircraft but not all aircraft can jettison fuel in flight and it might be overloaded with fuel to attempt a landing in Ilorin.
2) I am assuming here that Lagos is a much more qualified airport to address emergency an emergency than Ilorin.
3) How many nautical miles is Ilorin to Lagos? Maybe 250 miles? Maybe 30 to 45 minutes? Unless there is another emergency other than stuck landing gear than going to Lagos is an astute decision.

A stuck landing gear in itself is not that much of an emergency. A failed aileron on one side, leaking hydraulics, repeated engine flame outs on a twin engine, etc .. those are real emergencies.

Dude na wa for you. You are another honourable patrick o. Bet no many people would understand this but you seem to know your onion. But, are you suggesting that the risk was worth it? Supposing they didn't make it to lagos because if they wobbled all through the journey in air, then there's a tendency that anything could have happened. Even if lagos was a better place to handle emergency, why didn't the pilot go back, drop off the passengers and fly alone. When **** airline crashed it took not up to 10 minutes after the fault. If an airplanee can crash in 10 min then 30-45 is overly too much and way too risky. I may be wrong here, I'm not an aviation expert but the passengers testimonies could affect the patronage of that airline and this was expressed yesterday as a friend of mine who is a pilot there said they didn't really get patronage since the incident.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by sulaimon99(m): 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2012
heroofnigeria: WHO IS THE AVIATION MINISTER PLSSSSS.
stella oduah
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by teetee123: 1:35pm On Dec 22, 2012
[quote author=hardbody]In this era of mishaps, why people still dey fly from short distances such as Ilorin to Lagos. I am not so certain, but i am almost sure i can do that distance in 3 hours at regular driving. ANyways, i thank God for their lives. [/quote

Ilorin to Lagos is a 5 hours journey but considering the hassles of the road it will take 7 to 8 hours.
At times it may take 2 hours for the car/bus to get filled up at the park, hold up at the lagos -ibadan expressway, traffic problem inside ibadan especially iwo road. The road through osun and some part of oyo is bad.
This route is infested with robbers. I will rather risk going via air but there are very limited choices of airlines.
Ilorin is not a good place to be stranded because of the limited choices. Most times I have to land in lagos and use over 5 hours to get to ilorin or take the very bad road from Abuja.
Re: Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route by Nobody: 5:56am On Dec 23, 2012
israel007:

Dude na wa for you. You are another honourable patrick o. Bet no many people would understand this but you seem to know your onion. But, are you suggesting that the risk was worth it? Supposing they didn't make it to lagos because if they wobbled all through the journey in air, then there's a tendency that anything could have happened. Even if lagos was a better place to handle emergency, why didn't the pilot go back, drop off the passengers and fly alone. When **** airline crashed it took not up to 10 minutes after the fault. If an airplanee can crash in 10 min then 30-45 is overly too much and way too risky. I may be wrong here, I'm not an aviation expert but the passengers testimonies could affect the patronage of that airline and this was expressed yesterday as a friend of mine who is a pilot there said they didn't really get patronage since the incident.

That a fully loaded aircraft with full passenger, fuel and luggage can even take off in itself is a rick, albeit a calculated one. We should really be thankful for technology and science.

I wasn't on the flight but I do nto subscribe to wobbling just due to a stuck landing gear. Lagos is far more qualified to handle an emergency landing than Ilorin.

One thing, when we buy our ticket, and grab a seat, we are entrusting our lives to the crew (both cockpit and cabin) and trust that they will make astute decisions. I still stick by the PIC for his decision.

On my last trip to Nigeria on United, just before landing at MMA the PIC aborted the landing and took us to Accra where we landed. We were inside the aircraft on the tarmac for about 45 minutes. There were much grumbling from the passengers about the inconvenience - I considered them to be idiots. When we finally landed at MMA a couple of hours later and we were disembarking, I shook the hand of one of the cockpit crew and thanked them for deciding to abort the landing for safety. When I got back to US I also sent a letter (not an email) to United customer service.

We get all wrapped up in comfort and convenience that we forget that we are literarily engaged in acts of defying the laws of gravity.

I still say the PIC made the right choice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Reside In Canada For The Rest Of My Life: What Do I Do? / Where Can One Obtain Yellow Fever Card & Do They Work On Saturday? / Do Nigerian Need Visa To Jamaica:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.