Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Your University/Alma Mater Slangs - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Your University/Alma Mater Slangs (20663 Views)

Latest NUC Rankings 2015 - Where Does Your University/alma Mater Stand?? / Alma Oputa: Covenant University's Best Graduating Student / Describe Your School Or Alma Mater In One Word (2) (3) (4)

Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by SBabaJ(m): 9:12am On Dec 20, 2012
Every School Has Certain Slangs And Jargons Unique To The Institution. Two From The University Of Ilorin Where I Completed My Studies Are.
Face Tanke: This Term Is Usually Used To Describe Those Who Made Less Than 1.5 (Used To Be 1.0) In Their First Academic Year And Have Been Advised To Withdraw.
Permanent Stress: Ideally, P.S. Stands For Permanent Site But Due To The Stressful Nature Of Academic Activities, Permanent Stress Was Coined.
Kindly Regale Us With Those Particular To Your School.

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Nobody: 9:22am On Dec 20, 2012
DELSU.

AWOKO : It means "all night reading", mostly in the lecture rooms/halls. For some it is a calculated attempt to 'pass only' especially when exams are near. e.g Oboy I wan go blow awoko

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by tchaik(m): 9:58am On Dec 20, 2012
U.I.

Efico/ Iwé

Person that always pass exams with distinction!

Tsunami List

List of academically poor students dismissed for awful grade!

*For UI students, its one guy called 'KONAMI' in Kuti Hall dat year that coined "Tsunami List"*

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by xrazzy(m): 10:56am On Dec 20, 2012
ABU
JACKOMETER - PERSON WEY TOO DEY READ
TDB - TILL DAY BREAK READING
SHOT GUN- UNEXPECTED TEST

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by basisop(m): 11:10am On Dec 20, 2012
Micro Chips - you all know this! Don't pretend.

O.O -Time wasters

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 20, 2012
Stuffy,stuff,stuffinuria,-an intelligent pasn..........
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by heroofnigeria: 11:12am On Dec 20, 2012
HAHAHA
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by hammyd1: 11:12am On Dec 20, 2012
@ sbabaj, i also graduated from ilorin, tanke don full na challenge people dey face now, during my days in school there was this sayings in yoruba 'oku kokin gba Bsc, alubarika nikoko' meaning Bsc is meant for the living and not the dead, do ur best and leave the rest to God.

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by symbianDON(m): 11:12am On Dec 20, 2012
ABU: kosh du dosh meaning yam and akara
mekwi mekwo meaning love birds cuddling
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 20, 2012
Jargon me no slang. Okay
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by realmscape: 11:13am On Dec 20, 2012
O.O..... means OGBUOGE..

means person wey nor dey use him no.4 or m.u.m.u student

#HOPE I GOT DAT RIGHT#

TDB...till day break

brought to you by the GIANTS UNIZIK
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by moneyhungry(m): 11:15am On Dec 20, 2012
JONATHAN : A student who is always slow to think or act.
(GREAT ESUT)

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Revolva(m): 11:17am On Dec 20, 2012
OKPO - a slut / ho a girl wey boiz dey chop anyhow

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Nosyke(m): 11:18am On Dec 20, 2012
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike.

TDB( Till Day Break)

Jacking (Reading)

Medical Students (Extra Year Students)

Oto (Garri)...abeg u get oto? (ie, Please do you have garri grin grin grin)

When I remember more , I will post.

Sent from my wireless Nokia 3310 from Nitel
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by rusher14: 11:18am On Dec 20, 2012
money-hungry :
JONATHAN : A student who is always slow to a think or act.
Jona for short or maybe even slower student. grin
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by taigee: 11:19am On Dec 20, 2012
x-razzy:
ABU
JACKOMETER - PERSON WEY TOO DEY READ
TDB - TILL DAY BREAK READING
SHOT GUN- UNEXPECTED TEST
HA CORRECT
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by oritim: 11:20am On Dec 20, 2012
from UI
Efico - book worm
akuaya - campus girl - derogatory as a veritable source of AIDS/HIV
nfa - No future ambition
bushmeat/bushito - a non campus easy to get babe brought into the campus from the locality

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by medjai(m): 11:20am On Dec 20, 2012
CU

Luca Toni: A person who has failed a lot of courses.
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by dopeJemi: 11:21am On Dec 20, 2012
Revolva: OKPO - a slut / ho a girl wey boiz dey chop anyhow

Dis 1 z 4rm delta(Warri)

OKPO na Superstar

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Kslib(m): 11:22am On Dec 20, 2012
money-hungry :
JONATHAN : A student who is always slow to a think or act.
(GREAT ESUT)
Guy,see as you use grammar finish my 1gig.. Na today i know say some grammar suck mb pass youtube videos..
Mumunus odemus: A person who tries to insult GEJ for no reason,and ends up fooling himself..

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 20, 2012
Doz dayz I do visit my broda in University of Nigeria, I was meant 2 knw dat :
*UNN - Univ'sity of Nsogbu Nsogbu which means Troblesom/stresful School.
*Santa nwoke ocha - akpu.
*EFCC - bad rzult, no A or B
*CO - cary ova

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by obago(m): 11:29am On Dec 20, 2012
UNIBEN
1. Jackophite- someone dat reads 24/7 without rest.
2. ARROW: Arrowing is when a group of jobless guys stays in their flyovers and start raising abuses and teasing their fellow students dat are passing by. Arrowing is mostly done at block B in hall 3.

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by boban007: 11:31am On Dec 20, 2012
DESMOND TUTU,that is a mumu person or unintelligent person.coined from yoruba word TUTU,meaning dump person.
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 20, 2012
UNEC.. Father Christmas/Santa Claus.....Derogatory name for a male student who wastes/spends lots of money/material gifts on female friends while other guys enjoy the kitties.

He only gets hugs for his generosities.

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by zibe(m): 11:36am On Dec 20, 2012
ZUWO- a synonym for "stupid" in UNN (UNEC to be precise, the other campus). I remember we always used it jokingly. Funny, I still use it on my friends from same school, almost 2yrs after leaving.

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by uthmanj(m): 11:36am On Dec 20, 2012
GREAT FUTARIAN:
FUTA Igbehin meaning wen things don dry especially towards exams.
Smarty: program 4 computing result.
Different meaning of FUTA
Federal University of Tension and Agony
Federal University of Theology Akure.
more 2 come.

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by alyarmouk(m): 11:37am On Dec 20, 2012
University of Abuja====*kosh and dosh*

meaning...fries, like akara and yam et al
coined from the words; Kose meaning akara in hausa and Doya meaaning Yam

oboi mk i go arrange kosh n dosh come.
Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by Denn(m): 11:37am On Dec 20, 2012
SBabaJ: Every School Has Certain Slangs And Jargons Unique To The Institution. Two From The University Of Ilorin Where I Completed My Studies Are.
Face Tanke: This Term Is Usually Used To Describe Those Who Made Less Than 1.5 (Used To Be 1.0) In Their First Academic Year And Have Been Advised To Withdraw.
Permanent Stress: Ideally, P.S. Stands For Permanent Site But Due To The Stressful Nature Of Academic Activities, Permanent Stress Was Coined.
Kindly Regale Us With Those Particular To Your School.

clear evidence that you were a PS student. We were the bomb at mini campus....life there was wonderful. we had unilorin bakery, OPC (for hot superb Amala,), we had SUB (the original-fully infested with photocopiers and zobo sellers) and the TV was always on MM channels and not supersport...could remember the 9/11 saga (one of the few times we tuned to CNN)

as regards slangs, we have the famous 'aro' guys of H1 block....pure jesters that made school life fun. we have 'june 12'....not in reference to abiola but to the ever formidable mix of bread and hot beans all for twenty naira a plate. we had 'abbatior' and thar was the Institute of Technology [I.O.T] located within the campus notorius for the cult attacks......there was a guy called DMX then with tattered timberland boots who oppressed and 'obtained' guys and ladies alike for protection money; mafia style.

remembered 'mister peep' but have forgotten the story line....seems he was caught peering through the windows of female hostels devouring those fresh undergraduate 'blessings'.....Unilorin ladies can over-form.... those law students in their white and black....enjoyed library-toasting them....best form of toasting.....just take a piece of paper and write out your mind then pass to her. you ask her to reply and the 'chat' starts....it all ends at the Gym at night near the prayer ground with light kisses and giggles......thats a story for another day.....

all these happened over a decade ago

cheers

there is the all common motion ground where i took all those 'weird' looking photos of mine.....

Re: Your University/Alma Mater Slangs by sirenoch1(m): 11:38am On Dec 20, 2012
acidosis™:
DELSU.

AWOKO : It means "all night reading", mostly in the lecture rooms/halls. For some it is a calculated attempt to 'pass only' especially when exams are near. e.g Oboy I wan go blow awoko

AWOKITE: a person that blows awoko wella.
'THEM GO BEG YOU O!' or 'THEM GO WORSHIP YOU O': used to tell a person that u dont like what he is doing n he should stop.

Lawyers Caught Writing Exams For Students, Law School DG Alleges / In Your Secondary School Days, People Who Sat At The Back Were Known As? / OAU, LASU Break Into Top 1000 World Universities Ranking 2021 - THE