Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1214177 members, 1575058 topics. Date: Friday, 01 August 2014 at 11:29 PM

Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami (5799 Views)

Mikel To Stay On At Chelsea To Bag British Passport / Mikel To Be Flown To GLO/CAF Awards In Chelsea Jet / Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Livermeka: 9:48am On Dec 21, 2012
Expert Opinions: Counting on Mikel to be a Messi-by Segun Odegbami

There is simply no getting away from the issue of Lionel Messi these days. In April I described Barcelona as the greatest team in history and Lionel Messi as the greatest player.

The reactions were fast and furious: my assertion was premature. Messi had not won the World Cup with his country's national team like Maradona and Pele. Messi had not played enough games or scored enough goals like Pele and Gerd Muller. The critics were obviously looking more at the statistics than what Messi was doing with the ball.

Now, it is obvious I was prophetic.

Eight months later, the world is looking beyond the statistics. At 25, with years still left in his feet and goals in his boots, Messi has already re-written football history. At the last count he has scored, arguably, more goals in one football season than anyone else in history. He achieved this feat in less matches than the man who is generally believed (in the absence of acceptable universal data) to hold the record, Gerd Muller.

When Messi is eventually crowned the world's best player again this year, he will be setting another record as the first person in history to be crowned the world's best four times. Hopefully he still has time on his side to add to that number before he quits the game.

Lionel Messi, week after week, is doing to football what Picasso did to art, what Albert Enstein did to science, and what Mandela is doing to humanity!

Thoughts of him bring up the second thing on my mind - Afcon 2013.

What has Lionel Messi got to do with Africa's greatest football show? The answer is Mikel Obi, the Nigerian defensive midfield player making his mark quietly in the colours of Chelsea and the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Seven years ago Messi and Mikel, both 18 years old at the time, competed on the same stage for who would be the best young player in the world. That epic 'battle' was fought at the 2005 World Youth Championship in Holland.

Messi and Mikel both captained their national under-20 teams to the championship. Argentina and Nigeria met at the finals in an encounter that provided a sneak preview of the future. On the night, Argentina won with two moments of magic provided by Lionel Messi.

He conjured the two penalty kicks that separated the two teams. They were moments of brilliance and sheer magic in the dying minutes of a hard-fought match that saw both players struggle to dominate the midfield.

Messi's goals provided the slim edge over Mikel, who had conducted Nigeria's midfield with the elegance, composure, confidence and efficiency of a maestro. So good were both players that, at the end of the championship, Messi was crowned king and Mikel was named second best player.

Since then both players have charted different paths, only meeting again this past season in the semifinal of the European Club Championships, where Mikel and Chelsea had the upper hand over Messi and Barcelona in terms of the final result.

Messi will not be at Afcon 2013. Mikel will be.

There is increasing expectation and mounting pressure by Nigerians for the Super Eagles to win Afcon 2013.

That’s where Mikel comes in. Nigerians are counting on him playing at his best again these days, to use his vast experience and leadership to lead Nigeria's onslaught.

The man is getting used to winning championships. There is something about Mikel that is special and confounding.

He brings all of that to the Super Eagles. With his quiet mien and conservative but consistent performances, Mikel Obi could just be the joker up the sleeve with which Nigeria can win the African championship. He is on my mind.

http://www.supersport.com/football/blogs/segun-odegbami/Counting_on_Mikel_to_be_a_Messi
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Akshow: 12:44pm On Dec 21, 2012
in the next millenium

2 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Olaolufred(m): 1:15pm On Dec 21, 2012
THIS SHOE IS TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG FOR MICKEL.
ODEGBAMI SHOULD LOOK FOR SMALLER SIZES.

2 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by mennard: 1:48pm On Dec 21, 2012
is Uncle Sege dreaming? sleep is not death joor, and it can never be. So Mikel can never be Messi even if in the dream.

2 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by pboiskinpy(m): 1:48pm On Dec 21, 2012
Mikel nwa obi!,to become messi??
Kk ooooo(jux passing)
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by TableLeg(m): 1:49pm On Dec 21, 2012
Mikel to be a Messi? Fuc/king dumb!
Messi is a god ..... Mikel is a slug!
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Bantino: 1:49pm On Dec 21, 2012
This can be categorized as an "unrealistic reality"

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Iaz93: 1:49pm On Dec 21, 2012
RUBBISH!!!
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 21, 2012
hahahaha, *falls from Cesena* grin grin grin this is too hilarious. he shoulda started with lampard or Gerrard first. Abeg make I laugh first grin grin

*lands in Stamford bridge* undecided undecided
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by otumfour(m): 1:57pm On Dec 21, 2012
no wonder the world didn't end today

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Ice4jez(m): 1:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
and u will never stop counting.mikel obi to be messi.i laugh in chinese.boy way no dey move but stand in one place.eg how many goals has he score since he entered chelsea
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by cnnolofofo(f): 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2012
can SEGUN ARINZE become BRAT PITT? #JUSTASKING# cool

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Siga: 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2012
One sec bro Sege....Mikel might not make Nigerian team to AFCON 2013 ooo...u might need to check with Keshi first...ha ba
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by sugarson1: 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2012
Rubbish... Mike dat has not score a goal for chelsea dis season to be like messi... Nigeria don suffer
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by otumfour(m): 2:03pm On Dec 21, 2012
cnn_olofofo: can SEGUN ARINZE become BRAT PITT? #JUSTASKING# cool

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by oba123: 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2012
Na wa oh! Mikel is no match to any defensive midfilder in Nigeria not to talk of Messi. The worst player in the world is Mikel.

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by tpapi: 2:31pm On Dec 21, 2012
I dey laff o
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by RaindropGCFR(m): 2:34pm On Dec 21, 2012
4 training pitch, dats wat segun meant
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by daryoor(m): 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2012
''counting on mikel to become essien''
- now, doesnt that sound a lot more rational smiley

2 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by olivertwist: 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2012
If you understand football language, you'll know exactly why this football legend compare Mikel with Messi. Yes, we know Messi is an attacking midfielder and Mikel a defensive midfielder. But on a good day, they can both decide the outcome of a game.

4 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Batam(m): 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2012
olivertwist: If you understand football language, you'll know exactly why this football legend compare Mikel with Messi. Yes, we know Messi is an attacking midfielder and Mikel a defensive midfielder. But on a good day, they can both decide the outcome of a game.
Forget it,Mikel is incomparable to Messi. Also, Nigeria is not looking for a defensive midfielder but an attacking and creating one and Mikel is not

3 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by utumunta(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
I hope ds is aimed at securing a place 4 Mikel @ d AFCON 2013 cos d youngman nid 2 check wt 'd boss' 1st.
Comparing him 2 Messi on paper z diffrent 4rm doin it on d field of play. Ds is a youngman dat startd wel bt pride got d beta of him.
Hon nairalanders,may i move d motion 4 mikel 2 be named d biggest flop of ds century in our checkerd history?

4 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by utumunta(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
I hope ds is aimed at securing a place 4 Mikel @ d AFCON 2013 cos d youngman nid 2 check wt 'd boss' 1st.
Comparing him 2 Messi on paper z diffrent 4rm doin it on d field of play. Ds is a youngman dat startd wel bt pride got d beta of him.
Hon nairalanders, i move d motion 4 mikel 2 be named d biggest flop of ds century in our checkerd history.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by lilslim(m): 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
When
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by SBabaJ(m): 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2012
Segun Odegbami Is Not Being Mathematical 'Bout This At All....Comparing Mikel To Messi Is Like Comparing 2005 TO 2012...!
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Emusan(m): 3:04pm On Dec 21, 2012
Way of bribing coach into AFCON 13, no way!!!

The love of money is the begining of loosing career
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by olivertwist: 3:07pm On Dec 21, 2012
And, technically, I don't neccessarily believe Messi is the world best football player. If you say best attacking midfielder in the world, I'll say yes.

For instance, how can FIFA compare Messi with goal keepers like Casillas or Petr Cech? Or with defenders like Puyol or Rio Ferdinand? You cannot compare apple with orange.

Personally, I think it's wrong for FIFA to say 'Strikers' or 'Midfielders' are better than 'Defenders' or 'Goal keepers'.

FIFA should consider breaking the award to only five categories:
1. World best Striker
2. World best Midfielder
3. World best Defenders
4. World best Goal keepers
5. World best Coach

3 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by UyiIredia(m): 3:11pm On Dec 21, 2012
Dey dere. Mikel can never be like Messi. Practically speaking.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by enigmagu1(m): 3:13pm On Dec 21, 2012
[quote author=Olaolufred]THIS SHOE IS TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG FOR MICKEL.
ODEGBAMI SHOULD LOOK FOR SMALLER SIZES.[/quote
no!! he shud it himself
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by olivertwist: 3:16pm On Dec 21, 2012
Batam:
Forget it,Mikel is incomparable to Messi. Also, Nigeria is not looking for a defensive midfielder but an attacking and creating one and Mikel is not

LOL! Okay, let me ask you this simple question, 'Why is Argentina finding it hard to win the World cup with the 3 time world footballer of the year?
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by caukerzee(m): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2012
olivertwist: If you understand football language, you'll know exactly why this football legend compare Mikel with Messi. Yes, we know Messi is an attacking midfielder and Mikel a defensive midfielder. But on a good day, they can both decide the outcome of a game.
Dude even at that. Tell me when mikel has ever been a deciding factor in any chelsea s match? Name one MOTM performance he has ever provided at chelsea or nigerha NT??

(0) (1) (2) (Reply)

Your Most Memorable Moment In Football! / Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. / Osaze Odemwingie Win Epl Player Of The Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.