Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1241994 members, 1648116 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 September 2014 at 07:03 PM

Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami - Sports (1) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami (5876 Views)

Mikel To Stay On At Chelsea To Bag British Passport / Mikel To Be Flown To GLO/CAF Awards In Chelsea Jet / Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by caukerzee(m): 3:35pm On Dec 21, 2012
utumunta: I hope ds is aimed at securing a place 4 Mikel @ d AFCON 2013 cos d youngman nid 2 check wt 'd boss' 1st.
Comparing him 2 Messi on paper z diffrent 4rm doin it on d field of play. Ds is a youngman dat startd wel bt pride got d beta of him.
Hon nairalanders,may i move d motion 4 mikel 2 be named d biggest flop of ds century in our checkerd history?
I'm fully in support of you.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Dee60: 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2012
First class day dreaming!
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by caukerzee(m): 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2012
olivertwist:

LOL! Okay, let me ask you this simple question, 'Why is Argentina finding it hard to win the World cup with the 3 time world footballer of the year?
Because that player cannot multiply himself into 11. He cannot be the goal keeper to stop the team from conceeding and at the same time be the defenders to kill the attacks of the opponents and at the same time be a mid fielder to create chances and dominate possesion and still at the same time be the strike to score. Football is a team sport not an individual sport. Its a team that wins games and trophies not a player. A bad team will perform badly and a good team will perform well. I hope you understand that!

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by olivertwist: 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2012
caukerzee: Dude even at that. Tell me when mikel has ever been a deciding factor in any chelsea s match? Name one MOTM performance he has ever provided at chelsea or nigerha NT??

Thanks. That's all I've been trying to say all day. FOOTBALL IS A TEAM WORK. However, what makes the difference when two good teams meet are INDIVIDUALS. That's where Messi and Mikel comes in. It's not by flukes that both players were crowned 1st and 2nd best players at the AYC. And Mikel would've got the top crown if only he was an attacking midfielder. And remember, Chelsea (with Mikel) beat Barcelona (with Messi) to the uefa champions league.
Note: I'm not a Mikel or Chelsea fan

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by engrfcuksmtin(m): 4:37pm On Dec 21, 2012
Ok
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by deboydebo: 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2012
But, wait oh how will somebody in d Name of God even think of comparing Mikel to Messi. Like ma Friend will Say it this is arrant nonsense! If its a joke let Segun Odegbami stop it! cool
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by elopee3000: 4:45pm On Dec 21, 2012
agbari socket: Igbos are not happy bcuz then no see mikel robbed.thief people
Which day yoruba player go follow win euro champion cup with any team sef?

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by oba123: 4:48pm On Dec 21, 2012
Mikel is the worst player from the shores of this country. One can't even compare him to Sunday Oliseh,Ajibade Babalade or other Africans like Alex Song,Toure,the list is endless. Mikel shld not be in Keshi's list. Cos of Mikel and Torress my beloved Chelsea is where dey are today.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by toluxe0075: 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2012
olivertwist:

Thanks. That's all I've been trying to say all day. FOOTBALL IS A TEAM WORK. However, what makes the difference when two good teams meet are INDIVIDUALS. That's where Messi and Mikel comes in. It's not by flukes that both players were crowned 1st and 2nd best players at the AYC. And Mikel would've got the top crown if only he was an attacking midfielder. And remember, Chelsea (with Mikel) beat Barcelona (with Messi) to the uefa champions league.
Note: I'm not a Mikel or Chelsea fan
my broda there defensive midfielder making difference,if he is has gud as u take him 2 b, u would have seen alot of difference, side pass, backpass,inability 2 dribble n charge 4 goals shows dat he stil has a long way to go, if he is really gud u would have seen it even if he is a defenda, d likes of vidal are doing gr8 in dat dmf position
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by ejifranks(m): 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Dreams come true they do dreeeamms come true ...but this one lia lia will never come true.. sorry Uncle shege

2 Likes

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by oba123: 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2012
Why would Segun come wt this kind of provocative comparison.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by DoctorAbu(m): 6:02pm On Dec 21, 2012
And I used to respect this Odegbami fellow before today, see deficient reasoning abeg
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by kinguwem: 6:17pm On Dec 21, 2012
Mikel cannot be like Messi because of some reasons. Is he really 25 years old? He is black & unpatriotic. His he motivated by his country & NFF (his was kidnapped)? Are there star players in the national team that can make him achieve his dreams?
Nigerians should go to the grassroots. Future stars are waiting for discovery & development.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by ngozievergreen(f): 6:29pm On Dec 21, 2012
All dese envy are spit because Mikel is Igbo. I get it. U ppl have not seen anything

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 21, 2012
Say whaatttt? Jokes on him!
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by sunkoye: 7:36pm On Dec 21, 2012
mikel's bad start with a wrong club killed the genius in him. o ma se ooo
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Shaw007(m): 7:37pm On Dec 21, 2012
cnn_olofofo: can SEGUN ARINZE become BRAT PITT? #JUSTASKING# cool
or can jonathan become obamacheesy

1 Like

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by thegoodjoehunt(m): 7:49pm On Dec 21, 2012
First, Mikel wasn't the captain of our U20 team, it was Isaac Promise. Secondly, Messi didn't win the two penalties. He won the first one and Sergio Kun Aguero won the second penalty. Messi scored both. cool
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Desdola(m): 8:26pm On Dec 21, 2012
olivertwist: And, technically, I don't neccessarily believe Messi is the world best football player. If you say best attacking midfielder in the world, I'll say yes.

For instance, how can FIFA compare Messi with goal keepers like Casillas or Petr Cech? Or with defenders like Puyol or Rio Ferdinand? You cannot compare apple with orange.

Personally, I think it's wrong for FIFA to say 'Strikers' or 'Midfielders' are better than 'Defenders' or 'Goal keepers'.

FIFA should consider breaking the award to only five categories:
1. World best Striker
2. World best Midfielder
3. World best Defenders
4. World best Goal keepers
5. World best Coach
u' re on point man. Defenders and goal keepers are rarely recognized for their efforts. FIFA should look sternly and not just on goals scored. Football is a team work
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by thegoodjoehunt(m): 8:58pm On Dec 21, 2012
Mikel has the potential of being one of the best in the world but he can't achieve that playing as a defensive midfielder. In the U17 and U20 he played, he had Sani Kaita as his defensive midfielder.

If Mikel is moved into the creative attack midfield he will blossom. Mikel was never a fast player like Messi and Bale. He was like Fabregas. It is his brilliant skills, passing and vision that made him a star.

I hope Coach Stephen Keshi plays him in his natural role. A midfield playmaker. That is the way he will get it. As for Chelsea, he won't get the opportunity. If Mikel is in the midfield and the ball is coming to him often, something sparks in him. Just like Ancelotti is using Pastore in PSG. If Pastore is played as a defensive midfielder, he won't excel.

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by DoctorAbu(m): 9:21pm On Dec 21, 2012
thegoodjoehunt: First, Mikel wasn't the captain of our U20 team, it was Isaac Promise. Secondly, Messi didn't win the two penalties. He won the first one and Sergio Kun Aguero won the second penalty. Messi scored both. cool
3rd, both of them were not running their respective teams' midfields, Messi was the striker for Argentina
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by DaLover(m): 9:39pm On Dec 21, 2012
utumunta: I hope ds is aimed at securing a place 4 Mikel @ d AFCON 2013 cos d youngman nid 2 check wt 'd boss' 1st.
Comparing him 2 Messi on paper z diffrent 4rm doin it on d field of play. Ds is a youngman dat startd wel bt pride got d beta of him.
Hon nairalanders, i move d motion 4 mikel 2 be named d biggest flop of ds century in our checkerd history.
Seconded
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:35pm On Dec 21, 2012
DoctorAbu:
3rd, both of them were not running their respective teams' midfields, Messi was the striker for Argentina
Please, I don't get your point. Aguerro played in 2 U20 world cups 05 and 07. Aguero was also the player that won the 2nd penalty against us in the final in 05.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:40pm On Dec 21, 2012
If you look closely, you will see. Mikel is class.

In the last Champions League final, Mikel was definitely one of the best player for Chelsea.

Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by Estrada(m): 1:07am On Dec 22, 2012
I cudnt finish reading ur post.u'r obviously a Messi fan.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by DoctorAbu(m): 2:56am On Dec 22, 2012
thegoodjoehunt: If you look closely, you will see. Mikel is class.

In the last Champions League final, Mikel was definitely one of the best player for Chelsea.

My point exactly; if a player is class, you actually don't need to look closely, it glares at you match after match. Mikel was class in one match out of millions and that's cool with you? Enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Messi? Thumbs up Man!
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by SBabaJ(m): 4:49am On Dec 22, 2012
thegoodjoehunt: Mikel has the potential of being one of the best in the world but he can't achieve that playing as a defensive midfielder. In the U17 and U20 he played, he had Sani Kaita as his defensive midfielder.

If Mikel is moved into the creative attack midfield he will blossom. Mikel was never a fast player like Messi and Bale. He was like Fabregas. It is his brilliant skills, passing and vision that made him a star.

I hope Coach Stephen Keshi plays him in his natural role. A midfield playmaker. That is the way he will get it. As for Chelsea, he won't get the opportunity. If Mikel is in the midfield and the ball is coming to him often, something sparks in him. Just like Ancelotti is using Pastore in PSG. If Pastore is played as a defensive midfielder, he won't excel.

Mikel Plays As A DMF For Almost 50 Games A Season At Chelsea., He Cannot Come To Nigeria And Play The Playmaker Role For A Few Matches And Blossom.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by thegoodjoehunt(m): 6:05am On Dec 22, 2012
DoctorAbu:
My point exactly; if a player is class, you actually don't need to look closely, it glares at you match after match. Mikel was class in one match out of millions and that's cool with you? Enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Messi? Thumbs up Man!
The problem with Mikel is that he is played off position. It is actually the same thing that happened to Anderson. When Anderson was a teenager, Ronaldhino was dropped from the Copa America team of Brazil and Anderson was given the 10 shirt. He played and Brazil won the world cup.

He won lots of titles, I think 9 before joining Man Utd. At Man Utd Anderson got played off position and today you can't call Anderson's name and mention Ronaldhino's name together.

If Messi was played off position as a defensive midfielder a wingback, do you think he would have been successful. That is what Mikel is dealing with.

Also OP, Zabaleta was the Argentine captain in the U20 world cup in 2005.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by thegoodjoehunt(m): 6:13am On Dec 22, 2012
SBabaJ:
Mikel Plays As A DMF For Almost 50 Games A Season At Chelsea., He Cannot Come To Nigeria And Play The Playmaker Role For A Few Matches And Blossom.
When Di Matteo took over Chelsea, he gave Mikel the liberty of expressing himself and he became one of Chelsea's best performers.

That is his natural role he played for years growing up. Yaya Toure at Barca was restricted as a defensive Midfielder/defender at Barca. At Man City, Mancini played Yaya in a more advanced role and he became a super player. One of the best in the world today.

Players always do better playing their natural roles, no matter how long they were played off position.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by COOLDUN: 6:22am On Dec 22, 2012
When I came across this comment from Segun Odegbami I thought he was saying that Mikel is an OPPOSITE of Lionel Messi, but to my greatest surprise he said that Mikel Obi will be another Lionel Messi, is now or when his career is finished? Haba Segun Odegbami. Why do you want to soil your hard earned reputation?

Your comparison is like saying that Abuja is like Washington DC. Mikel Obi is only lucky that Nigeria have no competitive national team players now, during your days in the Green Eagles will a player like Mikel Obi make the last eleven of the Green Eagles? Can you ever compare Mikel Obi with a player like late Mudashiru Lawal? RIP. Or Kadiri Ikhana? How many teams came for him last season transfer? He is an ordinary player that is never in the category of Lionel Messi.

No player in Africa can be compared to Messi in any level. Mikel Obi’s system of play can be played by any player who can stop and push football. Segun Odegbami in fact if you repeat this kind of statement again, I will personally remove the Gbami in your surname, so that you will be called Segun Ode- . If your comment was that Mikel Obi is an OPPOSITE of Lionel Messi, I would have agreed. I am not a Barcelona nor Messi‘s fan, but action speaks louder than words. The difference is too clear. Mikel is an ordinary player not in any competitive status in the world.
Re: Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami by thegoodjoehunt(m): 6:26am On Dec 22, 2012
oba123: Mikel is the worst player from the shores of this country. One can't even compare him to Sunday Oliseh,Ajibade Babalade or other Africans like Alex Song,Toure,the list is endless. Mikel shld not be in Keshi's list. Cos of Mikel and Torress my beloved Chelsea is where dey are today.
Didn't you watch the World Club Cup Finals. I am of the opinion that Rafa's resilience in leaving Mikel off the team is the problem with Chelsea.

For Mata, Hazard and Oscar to excel, they need Mikel behind them making the simple passes and simple plays.

(0) (1) (2) (Reply)

Samson Siasia To Sue NFF For 1 Billion Naira ('Wrongful Termination') / Osaze Odemwingie Win Epl Player Of The Month / Nigeria Vs New Zealand: FIFA Women's WC Quarter Final (4 - 1) Full Time!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.