Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,984 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row (16777 Views)

EFCC Commences Investigation Into Sambo's Office / ‎Boko Haram: Israel Steps Into The Fight / Imo State Is Owing Me N16billion - Okorocha To Workers Demanding Their 13 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 22, 2012
By Yusuf Alli

President Goodluck Jonathan has stepped into the row sparked by the N9billion variation on the contract sum for the new official residence of Vice President Namadi Sambo.
The project was originally planned to cost N7billion.
A request for the approval of the National Assembly foran additional N9billion for the purpose of providing furniture, fence, two protocol guest houses, a banquet hall and security gadgets has provoked outrage across the country.
President Jonathan is said to be dismayed by the controversy trailing the request and asked to be briefed by Vice President Sambo on the issue.
The Senate Committee on Federal Capital Territory has already written to Julius Berger Nigeria Limited, which is constructing the mansion, to justify the increase in contract sum.
During an inspection visit to the site by the Senate Committee, the Executive Secretary of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), Adamu Ismail had said the project was awarded in 2009 at thecost of N7billion.
He said the additional N9 billion was required to provide furniture, fencing, two additional protocol guest houses, a banquet halland other security gadgets.
Ismail said the new proposal was not included in the original scope of work being handled by Julius Berger.
The Senate Committee is insisting on investigating the reasons advanced for the variation of the contract sum.
A reliable source familiar with the matter said the Executive arm was studying the observations of the Senate Committee.
He said the President had received brief from the Vice-President and relevant officials in the Ministry of Federal Capital Territory and the FCDA on the contract.
It was gathered that the Vice-President felt personally touched that his hard-earned image was dragged into the project which is to house him and his successors.
Another source added: “The VP was uncomfortable with the position of the Senate Committee on the residential building and the backlash. He has made his opinion known to the President.
“The President is however getting brief from all sides connected with the project on the increase in the contract sum.
“As a matter of fact, a top government official met informally with the Chairman of the Senate Committee on FCT, Senator Smart Adeyemi, to verify facts and figures on the project. The meeting with Adeyemi took about one and a half hours.
“The Executive has not taken any decision on whether to review the contract upward or retain the original cost. The ongoing briefing by all parties involved in the contract would determine the position of the Executive.”
But the Senate Committee is going ahead with the verification of the contract sum.
Another source said: “The Senate Committee has written the construction giant to submit its Bill of Quantity, design and any other document that could support its demand for the variation of the contract sum.
“Once we have got a response from the construction company, we will ask other experts to analyze its submission.
“We want to be as transparent as possible to ensure that we are acting only in the public interest.”
Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Senate Committee, Senator Smart Adeyemi, who spoke with our correspondent last night, said: “The issues we raised about the contract do not amount to undermining the government in any form. Weare also not out to embarrass public officers orany party whatsoever.
“As part of the transformation agenda of the government, we did ourbit as Senators to expose why a project conceived at N7billion would attract additional N9billion. We acted in good faith and in the interest of the public.
“It is left to the Executive to look at the issues in question and take necessary steps on the future of the contract. This committee is not a trial court but we owethis nation a duty to ensure that it has value for money on any project.”
Concerning allegations that the committee has compromised due to pressure, Adeyemi added: “We have not compromised,we have not chickened out. We have made our position known and we are going further to collate facts and figures for the public to judge.
“After we have completed our assignment, it is left to Nigerians to judge.”
The Executive Secretary of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), Adamu Ismail had Ismail told the lawmakers that the proposed additional N9 billion has been slashed to about N6 billion by the Bureau for Public Procurement (BPP).
He said: “We have worked out the details and passed to BPP for consideration.
“They (BPP) have sent it back to us with their observation.
“We requested for N9 billionbut now it came to about N6 billion.”
Adeyemi said either N13billion or N14 billion or N16billion for the project is indefensible in view of present realities.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/jonathan-steps-into-sambos-n16billion-residence-contract-row/
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by abbeycial: 8:11am On Dec 22, 2012
if dis arseholes allow poor,unemployed,aggrieved and deprived nigerians swear for dem,hmmm dem may probably not live long enuf to see julius berger finish dat contract.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 22, 2012
It is obvious that the president doesn't even know much about the N16billion Sambo's residence contract. For this same issue, the 'retardinhos' have attacked, abused and cursed GEJ. Do we really expect one man to know everything and be involved in everything? As far as I'm concerned, there are institutions and those institutions should do their work and where they fail, all attacks should be directed at them, not an 'omnipresent' president. In this case, where the contract sum appears too high, the senate committee should do their work(which they'r already doing), the budget office, ministry of office and other parties concerned in the project should also do their work. Where foul play is suspected, the law should take its course.
But I completely understand the retardinhos. It is always convenient for them to blame everything on an 'omnipresent' president so as to score cheap political points

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by koruji(m): 8:26am On Dec 22, 2012
Cover your face in shame!
It was the presidents budget. If his VP is including a N9 billion budget for furniture etc then he was supposed to know. That he didn't know was a sign of his powerlessness not a valid excuse.

Sincere 9gerian: It is obvious that the president doesn't even know much about the N16billion Sambo's residence contract. For this same issue, the 'retardinhos' have attacked, abused and cursed GEJ. Do we really expect one man to know everything and be involved in everything? As far as I'm concerned, there are institutions and those institutions should do their work and where they fail, all attacks should be directed at them, not an 'omnipresent' president. In this case, where the contract sum appears too high, the senate committee should do their work(which they'r already doing), the budget office, ministry of office and other parties concerned in the project should also do their work. Where foul play is suspected, the law should take its course.
But I completely understand the retardinhos. It is always convenient for them to blame everything on an 'omnipresent' president so as to score cheap political points

25 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by GARRIx7(m): 8:29am On Dec 22, 2012
[s]
Sincere 9gerian: It is obvious that the president doesn't even know much about the N16billion Sambo's residence contract. For this same issue, the 'retardinhos' have attacked, abused and cursed GEJ. Do we really expect one man to know everything and be involved in everything? As far as I'm concerned, there are institutions and those institutions should do their work and where they fail, all attacks should be directed at them, not an 'omnipresent' president. In this case, where the contract sum appears too high, the senate committee should do their work(which they'r already doing), the budget office, ministry of office and other parties concerned in the project should also do their work. Where foul play is suspected, the law should take its course.
[/s]
Raw-bish. You're a f00l if you think GEJ is Ignorant

18 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Clerverly: 8:36am On Dec 22, 2012
You are really working for your money angry angry angry

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 22, 2012
GARRI (x7):
[s][/s]
Raw-bish. You're a f00l if you think GEJ is Ignorant
No need to engage in a conversation with you because you dont even have the temperament for a civil conversation. I dont hurl insults and abuses

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 22, 2012
Clerverly:
You are really working for your money angry angry angry
If you feel Mr President should know every item contained in a 5trillion budget, then goodluck to you.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by aljharem(m): 8:51am On Dec 22, 2012
koruji: Cover your face in shame!
[size=18pt]It was the presidents budget[/size]. If his VP is including a N9 billion budget for furniture etc then he was supposed to know. That he didn't know was a sign of his powerlessness not a valid excuse.

Thank you. He would never answer this question. LOL Naija for show
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by blacksta(m): 8:53am On Dec 22, 2012
lame excuses

So because i have a president who is less conversant about the budget. I can sneak in 10 billion to buy a Nuclear warhead. A president who does not know the in and outs of budget is simply not fit to rule.

12 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by taharqa: 9:05am On Dec 22, 2012
It was the presidents budget. If his VP is including a N9 billion budget for furniture etc then he was supposed to know. That he didn't know was a sign of his powerlessness not a valid excuse.

Is d said #9billion REQUEST in d budget?
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 22, 2012
blacksta: lame excuses

So because i have a president who is less conversant about the budget. I can sneak in 10 billion to buy a Nuclear warhead. A president who does not know the in and outs of budget is simply not fit to rule.
My friend, I think we should understand the issues before we make comments to avoid mis-guided comments. The project is an ongoing project, inherited by the incumbent. The controversy arose because of contract variation that jacked-up the contract sums. My point is that there are institutions of govt which were set up to safe guard against abitrary jacking up of contract sums. The bureau of public procurement(BPP), the budget office, the ministry of finance, the legislature,etc. All these institutions draw billions in salaries every month and should DO THEIR JOB. Obama said Africa should strive and build "strong institutions" and not strong persons. And I completely agree with him because until we do that, we'll be chasing shadow

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by IYANGBALI: 9:09am On Dec 22, 2012

pls tell the hediot who thinks we are fools.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by aljharem(m): 9:10am On Dec 22, 2012
blacksta: lame excuses

So because i have a president who is less conversant about the budget. I can sneak in 10 billion to buy a Nuclear warhead.[size=18pt] A president who does not know the in and outs of budget is simply not fit to rule.[/size]

Gbammmmm Need I say more. When I talk, it's like Alj harem is against GEJ and that is not the case, it is glaring each day that Nigerian have made a mistake by voting this man in due to tribal sentiments.

16 billion Naira is ( one million in 16 thousand places so you can see what I am seeing) and we know a lot of Nigerians barely collect 100 thousand naira home. It would take a person earning 100000 a month, hundred and sixty thousand years to save up without spending a kobo. that 160 millenia shocked shocked shocked wicked leaders grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by IYANGBALI: 9:11am On Dec 22, 2012
taharqa: Is d said #9billion REQUEST in d budget?
pls stop covering up what is not coverable,he is the president for crying out loud and if you do not know,the bulk stops on his table,I hope you know what that means?
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by aljharem(m): 9:13am On Dec 22, 2012
taharqa: Is d said #9billion REQUEST in d budget?

yes it is in the NATIONAL BUDGET and that is for furnitures
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 22, 2012
During an inspection visit to the site by the Senate Committee, the Executive Secretary of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), Adamu Ismail had said the project was awarded in 2009 at thecost of N7billion.
He said the additional N9 billion was required to provide furniture, fencing, two additional protocol guest houses, a banquet halland other security gadgets.
Olusegun Obasanjo Administration and the awards of over-bloated contracts. Now he is criticizing my President, this is an example of monumental fraud that he committed, Its only OBJ and Julius Berger that knows the kickbacks he may have received that left the project redundant till now.
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by honeric01(m): 9:14am On Dec 22, 2012

What is this for God's sake? angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by vanstanzy(m): 9:15am On Dec 22, 2012
N16billion for a government quaters? What manner of leaders are these? Ok o, God is watching. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed I tell u, these Nigerian leaders wont rest until they milk the nation absolutely dry.
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 22, 2012
Abegi, has the vice president been sleeping outside

Do fast and finish this house before i change my mind.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 22, 2012
I am so amazed at the way our so-called leaders reason. Budgeting N16billion for a house and can't approve enough to fight corruption...barely approving N9billion. We can see where the fight against corruption is heading.
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 22, 2012

No sir/ma, the budget is not "the president's budget", rather it is the budget of the federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by JamesLucia: 9:22am On Dec 22, 2012
our money o our money o Nigeria money o oga de chop am big belle
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by onatisi(m): 9:23am On Dec 22, 2012
so 16billion naira is now too small for our president to notice ?i believe that so many dirty deals goes on without the president knowledge or consent but not like this one
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by postemail: 9:25am On Dec 22, 2012
The country is gone to the dogs. Honestly, I really don't see things getting better. It just the same 'ole bleak news.
In the land of the poor some dikhead is building a 7B mansion, now wants 9B for decoration. Can't we just do " gangnam style" on these dikheads?
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by dady12: 9:25am On Dec 22, 2012
for those claiming that GEJ did not know about this 9b are called fools at 40,if GEJ did not know about this,personally, i called for his impeacement,could you imagine,the cost of furniture,security gadget, fencing is more than the cost of the whole building,stupit people,the worst or the highest thing to purchase with all this our billions is private jet,thank God ,they are all clashing,we are watching because the wicked cannot go unpurnished

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by RickyRoss1(m): 9:26am On Dec 22, 2012

Bros, you fall my hand big time. How can our president not know about the cost of Sambos residence?
See, I am a no nonsense man, read my posts I praise you when you list some of GEJ achievements, but in this case he deserves to be slapped and I am not going to support evil.

Even in my family I flog my wife when she trash talks our house girl or anyone else, I dont support evil bc you are my friend, father, brother, wife or whatever. I praise people when they are praise worthy. You are like those peeps who has been brain washed by their pastors and GO's. Not long ago a popular Nigerian pastor slapped his church member in public and his church member's still support him till date. Even if this pastor rapes 200 women in his church ignorant foools will still find reason to support him, its a shame.

In this particular bruhaha GEJ has phucked up and again I will repeat that all of them involved needs to be slapped 200 times or bath naked in public.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 22, 2012
16billion naira. Hmm. I need to make money.

Even bill gates house no cost reach am.

....and for those hating my president ;

''NAH ONLY ONE HEAD GEJ GET OOOH'' !!! Got that

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by taharqa: 9:28am On Dec 22, 2012
alj harem:

yes it is in the NATIONAL BUDGET and that is for furnitures
Which of d National budgets plz?
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by naijaswag1: 9:31am On Dec 22, 2012
The synergy between the President and his vice is healthy. It is not a case where the president begins to lock heads with his deputy and probably seek to discredit him. Seeking clarification is the best way to go and probably sorting everything and making rational and justified decision is the way forward for Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by taharqa: 9:32am On Dec 22, 2012
IYA NGBALI: pls stop covering up what is not coverable,he is the president for crying out loud and if you do not know,the bulk stops on his table,I hope you know what that means?
Covering what? I hvn't said anytin; i only askd a questn...now plz which budget is d said additional #9billion in? I honestly dont know dis, but d info wud help in dis discuss..
Re: Jonathan Steps Into Sambo’s N16billion Residence Contract Row by vanstanzy(m): 9:34am On Dec 22, 2012

U obviously don't know what u re yapping about and u re 99degrees crazy, ok. It'll be a total waste joining issues with u, this is just incase u want to reply this post. SMH!!! sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ibrahim Coomassie: Igbo And Yoruba Can’t Determine 2019 Elections / How Saraki Fraudulently Obtained Court Order Freezing Sahara Reporters Account / IGP Deploys Detectives To Enugu, Ogun To Fish Out Killers Of Priest, Abductors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.